Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
OT: THE WHO- 30 years of maximum R&B complaint thread
Date: July 5, 2013 06:29

i know i complained about this before but man what a mess of a box set. first of all its been made almost obsolete by the deluxe and expanded who releases after it. the individual releases should have been done first. here are a few issues with the boxset:
- tracks listed incorrectly. some tracks are named with the wrong title. some tracks are noted from the wrong source material. looking at you "underture" live and kenny jones audition of "the real me" as the worst examples

- too many tracks from some albums and not enough from others. i know pete loves SELL OUT but we didn't need almost the entire album. "the song is over", "slip kid" and "guitar and pen" should have also been cut. i know the albums after moon passed were not as good but really more than 5 post moon tracks should be here. 2 of them are live covers. what about "don't let go the coat", "athena", or "another tricky day" ? what about "dig" or "fire" from petes IRON MAN album credited to the who? hell they could have used the live version of "dig" from JOIN TOGETHER.

- why are unreleased/rare tracks edited if they were never released before? makes no sense to edit it. single edits of other songs are just wrong also.

-some info in the booklet about the bands history is wrong too. keith moons b-day in the booklet is wrong for starters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 06:29 by keefriffhard4life.

Re: OT: THE WHO- 30 years of maximum R&B complaint thread
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 5, 2013 07:08

"Slip Kid" is one of my favorite Who songs. Just sayin'.

Date: July 5, 2013 07:12

Wry Cooter
"Slip Kid" is one of my favorite Who songs. Just sayin'.

well in general no need for 4 songs from BY NUMBERS and WHO ARE YOU. 1 from each album needed to be cut. probably 2 from SELL OUT and then add some post moon cuts with the room and have the full version of everything not edits.

i think its funny the say "the real me" is from jones audition for the band. because of that and how different the drums sound people say "god jones sucks how did he get the job?". the alternate take is actually from a session when The Who tried to rework "the real me" into a disco song and release it as a new single in 1979 or early 1980. thats why the drums sound so off, because jones is playing something differet on purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 07:13 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 5, 2013 07:13

Well, my favorite band released a 40 song retrospective for there 40th anniversary, then one album, and ten years later, pretty much rereleased it ten years later, with an inflated price for their 50th anniversary. But if you buy the both, you get ......6 new tracks. Awesome.

Date: July 5, 2013 07:15

I dig Slip Kid and Tricky Day. I remember looking at it, my sons first rock passion was The Who(close), and it did look uneven.

Date: July 5, 2013 07:18

Thrylan
Well, my favorite band released a 40 song retrospective for there 40th anniversary, then one album, and ten years later, pretty much rereleased it ten years later, with an inflated price for their 50th anniversary. But if you buy the both, you get ......6 new tracks. Awesome.

good point. at least the who tried to give the fans something for the 30th anniversary even if it was executed poorly. maybe we will get something next year for the 50th anniversary. as long as they don't list "sparks" live from woodstock as "underture" again i might be alright. that was one of the funniest things ever since not only was "underture" never played live but this version of "sparks" was already released on THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT soundtrack and credit correctly.

Date: July 5, 2013 07:27

I agree though, when I was looking through the 2cd and other expanded Who sets, there would always be a glaring omission of some sort....everything but, Magic Bus, or it would Have Baba O'Reilly, but not Won't get Fooled Again. Any fan could do better. I need to pick up the Live at Leeds Deluxe...... that has to be hot. Is the Life house stuff readily available now, last I heard Pete was working on it.......of course that's a 40 year project in itself!

Date: July 5, 2013 07:48

Thrylan
I agree though, when I was looking through the 2cd and other expanded Who sets, there would always be a glaring omission of some sort....everything but, Magic Bus, or it would Have Baba O'Reilly, but not Won't get Fooled Again. Any fan could do better. I need to pick up the Live at Leeds Deluxe...... that has to be hot. Is the Life house stuff readily available now, last I heard Pete was working on it.......of course that's a 40 year project in itself!

there is this boxset which i think is the best you are going to get for LIFEHOUSE:
[en.wikipedia.org]

most of those songs though were released on WHOS NEXT 2 cd deluxe version, ODDS AND SODS expanded, WHO BY NUMBERS expanded and WHO ARE YOU expanded.

i will give the who some credit that they at least try and listen to the fans and release what they are asking for. my issue is its always missing something. the boxset was hit and miss. we did get the entire Hull concert. they released a 2 cd version of WHOS NEXT and the 2nd disc was the Young Vic theater show but its missing like 5 songs played there although 1 missing song is on the boxset. fans have been clamoring for years for the 1971 san fran civic auditorium show, the 1974 charlton atheletic football club show and the 1976 vetch field show but they keep releasing pieces of it. some tracks are on the boxset, some are bonus tracks on expanded albums and some are on the GREATEST HITS LIVE album. we get the BBC sessions but it is missing a lot of songs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 07:54 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: July 5, 2013 08:00

And of course......maybe they DO know what they are doing.....lol. I am with you though, "nearly" complete boxes or live sets are very frustrating.

Date: July 5, 2013 08:10

Thrylan
And of course......maybe they DO know what they are doing.....lol. I am with you though, "nearly" complete boxes or live sets are very frustrating.

yeah you are right. milking the fans on purpose. leave a bit of what the fans want off of something and put it on another release

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 5, 2013 09:07

This was probably my first box-set, and at the time (I was 19 years old) I did know almost nothing from the Who, apart from Who's Next CD (without the bonus tracks, of course).

Date: July 5, 2013 09:56

Cristiano Radtke
This was probably my first box-set, and at the time (I was 19 years old) I did know almost nothing from the Who, apart from Who's Next CD (without the bonus tracks, of course).

the mistakes, what was left off and the re-releases after this boxset was released have hurt it a bit. it was pretty good for its time and its still the only place on an official who cd thats still in print to get the following tracks:
- saturday nights alright for fighting
- i'm a man (live 1989)
- twist and shout (live 1982, not the same as the WHOS LAST version)
- my wife (live swansea 1976)
- long live rock (alt mix)
- the real me (kenny jones version)
-join together (alt mix)
- relay (longer mix. might be the only cd in print with this song in any mix not counting the BBC version)
- bony maronie (live 1971)
- fortune teller (studio version)
- here tis
- happy jack (alt version)
- a quick one (studio and rolling stones rnr circus splice mix)
- the last time
- dogs
- see me, feel me (studio and live at leeds splice mix)
- heaven and hell (studio version)
- bargain (live 1971)

i think thats it. a few of the dialogue pieces, skits, bbc segments are also only still on this boxset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 09:57 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 5, 2013 10:15

This set was released in 1994, and you're only getting around to griping now?

Anyway, I have pulled it off the shelf in years, in part because nearly everything in it sounds better in later remasters, but I recall some really annoying crossfades on disc 4.

Date: July 5, 2013 10:27

ab
This set was released in 1994, and you're only getting around to griping now?

Anyway, I have pulled it off the shelf in years, in part because nearly everything in it sounds better in later remasters, but I recall some really annoying crossfades on disc 4.

no i complained about it before. on this forum even. i just pulled it again though after about 2 years of not listening to it

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 5, 2013 11:56

it was my start with the who, so i love this box...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 5, 2013 12:12

Still a great box set, some tracks of which are made obsolete by the deluxe Who Sell Out release, but still, at least with Max R&B, you still get these great Keith Moon skits:

And isn't there a live track where Pete is having some rejoinders with the audience, something like, "Play rock n roll? What do you think that was, Montovani?!"

Still a great release in its day, many of those tracks only previously available on bootlegs--nothing to complain about on this release for sure.

Date: July 5, 2013 13:12

stonehearted
Still a great box set, some tracks of which are made obsolete by the deluxe Who Sell Out release, but still, at least with Max R&B, you still get these great Keith Moon skits:

And isn't there a live track where Pete is having some rejoinders with the audience, something like, "Play rock n roll? What do you think that was, Montovani?!"

Still a great release in its day, many of those tracks only previously available on bootlegs--nothing to complain about on this release for sure.

yes the skits and pete does have a dialogue with the audeince close to what you say.
it would have been nice to have all the previously released b-sides and songs from whos missing/twos missing available. some of them still unavailable to this day on an official in print cd by the who."here for more, "dr jekyll and mr hyde", "when i was a boy", "here for more", "wasp man" and "goin down". think thats all the b-sides and tracks from whos missing/twos missing not on any official in print release right now. of course several unique mixes of tracks that were singles are still MIA from cd release too.

this thread should give you a since of some of the different mixes for singles: [forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 13:19 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 5, 2013 14:17

The cross fades were the biggest problem for me. Box sets are always problematic and as a wise man once said "You Can't Always Get What You Want", but the cross fades are ridiculous. As another post stated, unbelievably this is the only readily available version of a pretty well known song - Relay, and even that is cross-faded!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 5, 2013 14:58

Lynd8
The cross fades were the biggest problem for me. Box sets are always problematic and as a wise man once said "You Can't Always Get What You Want", but the cross fades are ridiculous. As another post stated, unbelievably this is the only readily available version of a pretty well known song - Relay, and even that is cross-faded!

+1

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 5, 2013 15:05

The Internet makes everything readily available.

Date: July 5, 2013 15:13

Lynd8

and "relay" is an alternate edit at that though its longer so i guess thats good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 15:36 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 5, 2013 17:03

The crossfades are annoying. Otherwise it's a pretty great box set.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 5, 2013 20:01

Still one of the few places you can get Relay which was an honest to goodness hit!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 5, 2013 20:42

It was my 1st Who cd. I had all the vinyl and thought it would be a good place to start..............I still do.

Remember this was before all the extended and deluxe versions,so quite a lot of previously unreleased stuff. I like it.

sc uk

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: July 5, 2013 20:43

I got a cd from Japan a couple years ago that had Relay on it, and it sounds great.

Unfortunately, it is now out of print
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 5, 2013 22:00

When this box set came out it was basically a teaser for what was in store for the Who's back catalogue. Thus much of it it obsolete. However more enticing was a planned 4 disc live box set. If I understood the original plan was to do 1 disc of pre-Tommy Live, 1 disc of Tommy era live, 1 disc of Who's Next-Quadrophenia(the latter sadly overlooked in the bands live catalogue, but thats a different rant), and 1 disc of post Moon work.
My biggest complaints of the set are the edits, namely A Quick One. The live portion is a different take from the common Stones R n R version. It would have been nice to have that complete. Further (at the time) See Me Feel Me from Leeds was unreleased and we only get a brief version of it.

Date: July 5, 2013 23:26

Happy Jack
When this box set came out it was basically a teaser for what was in store for the Who's back catalogue. Thus much of it it obsolete. However more enticing was a planned 4 disc live box set. If I understood the original plan was to do 1 disc of pre-Tommy Live, 1 disc of Tommy era live, 1 disc of Who's Next-Quadrophenia(the latter sadly overlooked in the bands live catalogue, but thats a different rant), and 1 disc of post Moon work.
My biggest complaints of the set are the edits, namely A Quick One. The live portion is a different take from the common Stones R n R version. It would have been nice to have that complete. Further (at the time) See Me Feel Me from Leeds was unreleased and we only get a brief version of it.

i think that 4 cd live boxset got scrapped in favor of greatest hits live. 1 cd of moon stuff though really nothing from the 60's and 1 cd of 1989-present. there was also that fan club only 2 cd live release which was just 2 cds of unreleased moon stuff.

i mentioned this in another thread. i just got the who BBC sessions (though sadly not the best buy bonus disc version) and the expanded BY NUMBERS for a total of $11. $5.50 a cd isn't bad for brand new discs. maybe you or other big who fans can look at what i own and tell me if i should look into investing in some of the other stuff thats out there.
i own:
my generation 2 cd deluxe
a quick one expanded
sell out expanded
live at leeds expanded (not the 2 cd set)
tommy
whos next 2 cd deluxe
quadrophenia
by numbers expanded
who are you expanded
face dances expanded
its hard expanded
30 years of maximum r&b
live at the isle of wight festival
BBC sessions
endless wire
the limited edition bonus disc that came with the ultimate who

should i look into the 2 cd deluxe editions of?
sell out
tommy
live at leeds
quadrophenia
live at hull

i have a complete tommy live on isle of wight. didn't think getting leeds 2 cd deluxe just for a tommy set was that important. hull is the same setlist as live at leeds. didn't see any point in having the same thing.

what about?
greatest hits live
the kids are alright soundtracks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-05 23:28 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 6, 2013 00:12

I am not sure if they are still offering it, but if you join The Who fan club you get The Who, Backstage Pass Live. A two disc set with some very tasty unreleased rarities. Very good quality. Also Quadrophenia Director's cut is quite nice as well. With a lot of the demos and some great books and pictures.

Yeah, at the time Max R and B was a nice surprise, because there wasn't a lot of Who product out on CD at the time. All the studio original discs with very lackluster sound and no extras. So some nuggets on R and B were nice, but it was completed moot and dated when the re-releases came out with all the bonus material, remastered and sounding fantastic.

Date: July 6, 2013 00:45

whitem8
I am not sure if they are still offering it, but if you join The Who fan club you get The Who, Backstage Pass Live. A two disc set with some very tasty unreleased rarities. Very good quality. Also Quadrophenia Director's cut is quite nice as well. With a lot of the demos and some great books and pictures.

Yeah, at the time Max R and B was a nice surprise, because there wasn't a lot of Who product out on CD at the time. All the studio original discs with very lackluster sound and no extras. So some nuggets on R and B were nice, but it was completed moot and dated when the re-releases came out with all the bonus material, remastered and sounding fantastic.

yes backstage pass live. thats the fan club set i was talking about

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: July 6, 2013 00:53

Have you still got your receipt? Why don't you take it back to the store?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home