Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: THE WHO-30 years of maximum R&B
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 9, 2013 00:39

peoplewitheyes
Thanks Stonehearted. By the way, isn't he just singing 'don't you worry be happy, Peppermint' in the backing?

It's hard to tell what exactly the words are to those backing vocals. The song is so obscure that there are no lyrics listed anywhere online. But I like the tune though, more and more each time I hear it. Thanks again for posting it!

Date: July 9, 2013 01:14

i might try and get the who royal albert hall 3 cd set. the setlist looks great and you get that extra disc with songs from johns last concert

Date: July 9, 2013 01:21

Yes, that Royal Albert Hall disc set is great, and the bonus tracks come from RAH February 2002, which indeed turned out to be the final Who-Rah as the unholy trinity. Those tracks are available on YouTube, but I'll leave it to you to discover those on disc--they really rip it up on Young Man Blues, as if suddenly they were recapturing the glory of Live At Leeds.

Date: July 9, 2013 01:25

still so sad john is gone.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 9, 2013 02:45

I agree, the RAH collection is fantastic. If you don't have the DVD, I would recommend that as well. Stunning version of Relay.

Date: July 9, 2013 04:53

Not sure where you folks are located but I just purchased the bonus disc, with the acoustic version of Happy Jack, on ebay for 5 dollars, and three for postage.

Date: July 9, 2013 06:11

whitem8
I agree, the RAH collection is fantastic. If you don't have the DVD, I would recommend that as well. Stunning version of Relay.

i heard the sound on the dvd isn't that great

Date: July 9, 2013 06:18

I think the DVD sounds good. I can't remember if it is in DTS? But I thought it sounded good.

Date: July 9, 2013 06:37

Yes, the DVD is in DTS, and I think the sound is good. But more important, the performance is epic. This show really marked the comeback of The Who. Though Zak had been playing with them since '96, this was the first time in years where Townshend played as if he were truly inspired. You can see the difference from the 1999 DVD The Vegas Job, which was, on the whole, flat and uninspiring by comparison.

Date: July 9, 2013 06:45

I agree, the entire band is in sync, and Townshend is very passionate. I typically don't like the "invited" guest that try to add an air of celebration and worship, but there are some cool performances. But the times it is just The Who are stunning. As I said the version of Relay is searing.

Date: July 9, 2013 08:23

Yes, the special guests, that's when I like to fast forward. However, one of the guests, Kennedy on violin, that really makes Baba O'Riley come alive, as the stage arrangement comes to resemble that of the original recording, no vocal duetting, just an extra hand lending great musicianship, and the ending just flawlessly cooks.

Date: July 9, 2013 12:27

thanks guys

Date: July 11, 2013 13:31

can anyone tell me or give me a link that tells me the differences in the who BBC sessions performances and the regular recorded versions. like extra solos or acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar.

Date: July 11, 2013 16:48

I am not sure I have seen a link detailing those differences. Actually, what is fun to do is listen to them both and compare. A lot of the BBC stuff is different. With different live vocal tapes with a prerecorded (earlier in the day) track, or the studio track as a guide. I like this collection, but the DJ practically ruins it for me. I don't like him talking through intros with his pompous insights, mostly because with The Who, their intros are often the riff, which is so powerful and the best start to a song. He ruins The Seeker with his talking! I know you are big Kinks fan, you might want to consider getting the collectors box set of the Kinks on the BBC, it is stunning. It comes with a nice DVD of live stuff. And is pretty complete as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 16:51 by whitem8.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 11, 2013 19:05

keefriffhard4life
can anyone tell me or give me a link that tells me the differences in the who BBC sessions performances and the regular recorded versions. like extra solos or acoustic guitar vs. electric guitar.

Here is a great little site that inccludes alternate liner notes (with corrections to the official notes) on all of the Who albums, including BBC sessions and 30 years of Maximum R and B:

[www.thewho.net]

Date: July 11, 2013 22:33

Happy Jack
keefriffhard4life

Here is a great little site that inccludes alternate liner notes (with corrections to the official notes) on all of the Who albums, including BBC sessions and 30 years of Maximum R and B:

[www.thewho.net]

i use that site a lot and it looks like it lists some of exactly what i wanted. it is missing a few things though like i know one of the songs on the BBC sessions is played with an electric guitar while the released single is an acoustic guitar. i might have to do some comparing to get all the info myself but i love that site and use it often

Date: July 11, 2013 22:35

whitem8
I am not sure I have seen a link detailing those differences. Actually, what is fun to do is listen to them both and compare. A lot of the BBC stuff is different. With different live vocal tapes with a prerecorded (earlier in the day) track, or the studio track as a guide. I like this collection, but the DJ practically ruins it for me. I don't like him talking through intros with his pompous insights, mostly because with The Who, their intros are often the riff, which is so powerful and the best start to a song. He ruins The Seeker with his talking! I know you are big Kinks fan, you might want to consider getting the collectors box set of the Kinks on the BBC, it is stunning. It comes with a nice DVD of live stuff. And is pretty complete as well.

i am looking into that. right now i am trying to get the deluxe versions of some of the 60's albums.

Date: July 12, 2013 00:07

The recent deluxe reissues are incredible. Each one three discs with great job of mastering and tons of unreleased stuff. Very nice digipacks, and liner notes.

Date: July 12, 2013 00:15

whitem8
The recent deluxe reissues are incredible. Each one three discs with great job of mastering and tons of unreleased stuff. Very nice digipacks, and liner notes.

only village green is 3 discs

Date: July 12, 2013 03:12

yes dear. A mistaken typo.

Date: July 12, 2013 03:30

whitem8
yes dear. A mistaken typo.

they still are interesting though but not as much unreleased stuff as i would like. if you own the picture book boxset and the bbc boxset thats most of the bonus tracks on the first 3 album in deluxe reissues

Date: July 12, 2013 03:54

True, but with the Kinks I like to be a completist.

Date: July 12, 2013 03:57

whitem8

Me, too. Plus I like the ritual of visiting the record shop--because I fancy the girl who works behind the counter.

Date: July 12, 2013 03:58

whitem8

they have so much stuff in so many forms its hard to get it all. everytime a new deluxe release comes out i see bitching about rumored stuff still not on it like demos or unreleased tunes

Date: July 12, 2013 04:05

keefriffhard4life
whitem8

they have so much stuff in so many forms its hard to get it all. everytime a new deluxe release comes out i see bitching about rumored stuff still not on it like demos or unreleased tunes

There are a couple of "Great Lost Kinks" albums from a mail order bootleg catalog I have, and they remain "lost".

For instance, ever hear this track, All Night Stand? In the BBC recordings, when Pete Quaife is being interviewed about an idea Ray was working on at the time, he refers to it as "One Night Stand", but it's actually this track:

Date: July 12, 2013 04:34

"til death us do part" and "pictures in the sand" are 2 tracks i know are still unreleased on an official cd.

"all night stand" is on the picture book boxset and used as a bonus track on the deluxe kinks kontrovery.

Date: July 12, 2013 06:36

Oh yeah, forgot that was on the deluxe Kontroversy, which I own. I'll see if I can find something from the Great Lost Kinks Album (vol. 1) that I have and post it if it isn't on any of the deluxe reissues.

Date: July 12, 2013 06:38

stonehearted
Oh yeah, forgot that was on the deluxe Kontroversy, which I own. I'll see if I can find something from the Great Lost Kinks Album (vol. 1) that I have and post it if it isn't on any of the deluxe reissues.

i don't think there is much. most of the stuff people post thats missing isn't even in circulation. just titles that are on studio log sheets

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 12, 2013 07:15

Best Kinks site! Esp. For guitarists! Enjoy

[www.kindakinks.net]

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: July 12, 2013 07:26

Marhsall
Best Kinks site! Esp. For guitarists! Enjoy

[www.kindakinks.net]

yes that is the best

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home