Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Love You Live/El Mocambo
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 30, 2009 06:49

The Stones on the El Mocambo side of LYL are vibrant, tight, crisp, and sound great. The other three sides are lackluster, and the band sounds tired and murky. My question: Does anyone know why they didn't just take the entire live LP from the El Mocambo performances instead of using tapes of the 76 European tour for most of it? Did they not play complete sets at El Mocambo? This has always puzzled me.

Re: Love You Live/El Mocambo
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2009 08:37

because the album was to document the 75/76 tours, not two club dates with atypical set lists.
anyway sides one and four also sound great, and side two has its redeeming moments as well.

and yes, they played whole sets at the El Mo.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 30, 2009 08:45

good evening with sssoul

Do you think that there is anything about the Stones and their music that you don't already know?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 30, 2009 09:11

The Mocambo side is the highlight, and I want to hear the complete set, hope they release it someday. Side I has great moments, HTW, particularly "If You can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud" and "Hot Stuff". Side II with the exception of "You Gotta Move" sounds tired, the solo of YCAGWYW is edited unfortunately, the sound quality is bad, side IV has the great version of SFTD anyway. LYL gives the impression of two live albums, that are cut short. It would be better we have a complete live act from 75/76 and the complete Mocambo in separate volumes.

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: October 30, 2009 09:37

I find the Stones are always 'tighter' in a small gig situation whereas in the 70s they were rather sloppy in the stadiums. Would love to hear the full Mocambo gig with no overdubs.

Date: October 30, 2009 10:12

>> Do you think that there is anything about the Stones and their music that you don't already know? <<

smile: i thought it was common knowledge that there's plenty i don't know - ask HM! :E
anyway, what i posted above isn't exactly obscure information [passing popcorn]

Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: October 30, 2009 10:45

I haven't heard the El Mocambo boot for ages (it's around here somewhere) but if memory serves, aren't the LYL tracks on it just straight copies from LYL, overdubs and all? I remember being very disappointed when I heard it...

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: October 30, 2009 11:13

Only one complaint: I think they should've mixed Bill's bass louder. It's got very little bass. Something to fix with the remaster!

Date: October 30, 2009 13:57

Songs like Hot Stuff, Star Star, You Gotta Move, Fingerprint File, YCAGWYW, IORR and SFTD sound awesome, no matter how sloppy some of the other songs may be.

Date: October 30, 2009 17:14

I guess my point was that no matter how good a few of the tracks on the other three sides sound, a whole recording of the El Mocambo set would have been a better-sounding and more unique LP. I don't see why they felt they needed to "document" the '76 tour, when they failed to document the 72 tour that way, and when much better live versions of songs like JJF were out on Ya-Ya's.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 30, 2009 17:21

Now that they are opening up the vaults with the Exile thing...you know recordings of the full shows exist...wouldn't El Mocombo be a great archival release!

Ross

Date: October 30, 2009 17:31

>> I don't see why they felt they needed to document the '76 tour,
when they failed to document the 72 tour that way <<

see this thread regarding the missing 1972 concert album: [www.iorr.org]
of course it would be brilliant to have a full El Mo show released as well,
but LYL shakes plenty of people's tailfeathers just fine too
(you've already made it clear that you disagree - that's okay! one of the glories of recorded music
is that you can listen to whatever grooves you, and leave the rest to the people who dig it)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 30, 2009 17:34

Nah, Love You Live captures the band then perfectly - fast, sloppy, messy, asleep, careless, awful, colour by numbers, rote, brilliant, excellent, tight, awake, interested, inspired...

Love You Live captures it all.

Honky Tonk? Excellent.
IORR, Brown Sugar and Jumpin' Jack? TERRIBLE.

Etc

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 30, 2009 17:39

It really would be swell if they would release a '72 live album.

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: October 30, 2009 17:58

skipstone
Nah, Love You Live captures the band then perfectly - fast, sloppy, messy, asleep, careless, awful, colour by numbers, rote, brilliant, excellent, tight, awake, interested, inspired...

Love You Live captures it all.

Etc

I complety share this point of view. Love you live is my favourite live album (but some bootlegs are better) and, to tell the truth, I consider get yer ... as one of their worst live album. Many people would not agreed with me but it is just a matter of taste (different albums for different tastes).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 30, 2009 18:21

71Tele
I guess my point was that no matter how good a few of the tracks on the other three sides sound, a whole recording of the El Mocambo set would have been a better-sounding and more unique LP. I don't see why they felt they needed to "document" the '76 tour, when they failed to document the 72 tour that way, and when much better live versions of songs like JJF were out on Ya-Ya's.

There were meant to be five El Mocambo shows which presumably would have provided ample opportunity to complete a full album's worth of songs.

However, Keith's late arrival (by several DAYS) and subsequent arrest reduced the rehearsal time so much that they only ended up having time to play two shows. For technical reasons, the first night's recordings ended up being largely unusable.

So, they basically had one show to work on from an original projected total of five. I'd imagine thats why there's relatively little from the El Mocambo shows on the live album.

The only reason there wasnt a live album from 1972 was due to legal wrangles with ABKCO. Perfectly logical therefore, having not released any live material recorded after 1969 (apart from a Chuck Berry cover as a UK only b side in 1971) to release a live album from the 75-76 tour, especially as the ABKCO block on them issuing live versions of their own compositions recorded during that era expired on 1.1.77.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 30, 2009 18:42

What made the Mocambo side special for me was only the selection of songs.

Musically by far the best side of LYL is side 4. Pure adrenaline.

C

Posted by: django ()
Date: October 30, 2009 20:41

Is this the ultimate El Mocambo bootleg? Better than the VGP-Version?

The idle Idol Mind label has released Stereo Mocambo Reels 1977 (IMP-N-017). This covers on one disc the March 1977 El Mocambo set in Toronto and contains:

01. HAND OF FATE (Reel A) 02. ROUTE 66 (Reel B.) 03. MANNISH BOY (Reel C) 04. CRACKIN’ UP (Reel B.) 05. DANCE LITTLE SISTER (Reel C) 06. AROUND AND AROUND (Reel A) 07. WORRIED ABOUT YOU (Reel A) 08. LET’S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER (Edited) (Reel B.) 09. BAND INTRODUCTION (Reel C) 10. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (Reel B.) 11. CRAZY MAMA (Mono, Cut-out) [The Longest Version in Best Ever Sound Quality with 5 Different Sources including Newly Found Stereo Reels] 12. ROUTE 66 (Reel A) 13. CRACKIN’ UP (No-Dubs, Cut-out) (Reel A) 14. LET’S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER (Un-Edited) (Reel B.) 15. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (Reel C) 16. ROUTE 66 (Reel C) 17. CRACKIN’ UP (Combination) 18. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (Combination)

Newly Found Stereo Reels (12-14)
Best Sounding Acetate (15,16)
Combination of Final Mix & Rough Mix (17,18)

Also included is a DVDR:

01. IMP Slate 02. El Mocambo Bartender Interview 03. A Rock Critic Interview 04. Comment on “Love You Live” 05. Ron Wood Interview 06. Mick Jagger Interview 07. Keith Richard Interview 08. El Mocambo Live M.C. & Band Introduction 09. Mannish Boy (Edited) 10. Crackin’ Up (Edited) (Rare Interviews, Live M.C. & Audio Tracks on Still Pictures with Japanese Subtitle)

source:
Collectors Music Reviews

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 30, 2009 20:50

The El Mocambo shows where great, but the recordings that ended up on LYL are very much overdubbed with layers of new guitars, vocals and harmonica. I would love it if more of it is released (HOF, DLS and R66 are great renditions) but I don't think we can expect it to be as great as the released tracks.

Mathijs

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: October 30, 2009 21:25

django
Is this the ultimate El Mocambo bootleg? Better than the VGP-Version?

The idle Idol Mind label has released Stereo Mocambo Reels 1977 (IMP-N-017). This covers on one disc the March 1977 El Mocambo set in Toronto and contains:

01. HAND OF FATE (Reel A) 02. ROUTE 66 (Reel B.) 03. MANNISH BOY (Reel C) 04. CRACKIN’ UP (Reel B.) 05. DANCE LITTLE SISTER (Reel C) 06. AROUND AND AROUND (Reel A) 07. WORRIED ABOUT YOU (Reel A) 08. LET’S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER (Edited) (Reel B.) 09. BAND INTRODUCTION (Reel C) 10. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (Reel B.) 11. CRAZY MAMA (Mono, Cut-out) [The Longest Version in Best Ever Sound Quality with 5 Different Sources including Newly Found Stereo Reels] 12. ROUTE 66 (Reel A) 13. CRACKIN’ UP (No-Dubs, Cut-out) (Reel A) 14. LET’S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER (Un-Edited) (Reel B.) 15. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (Reel C) 16. ROUTE 66 (Reel C) 17. CRACKIN’ UP (Combination) 18. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (Combination)

Newly Found Stereo Reels (12-14)
Best Sounding Acetate (15,16)
Combination of Final Mix & Rough Mix (17,18)

Also included is a DVDR:

01. IMP Slate 02. El Mocambo Bartender Interview 03. A Rock Critic Interview 04. Comment on “Love You Live” 05. Ron Wood Interview 06. Mick Jagger Interview 07. Keith Richard Interview 08. El Mocambo Live M.C. & Band Introduction 09. Mannish Boy (Edited) 10. Crackin’ Up (Edited) (Rare Interviews, Live M.C. & Audio Tracks on Still Pictures with Japanese Subtitle)

source:
Collectors Music Reviews

Definitivly not the ultimate El Mocambo bootleg! They used my upload on Hungercity where I tried to present all available tracks in concert order and best possible quality. But due to very different sources the quality is still very variying. And then they messed it up by adding the same tracks again from another source - that's exactly what I wanted to avoid with my compilation. So my opinion: forget it!
(BTW, would be nice if someone could upload/torrent it nevertheless, so we could see what exactly they did.)

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: October 30, 2009 21:29

Mathijs
The El Mocambo shows where great, but the recordings that ended up on LYL are very much overdubbed with layers of new guitars, vocals and harmonica. I would love it if more of it is released (HOF, DLS and R66 are great renditions) but I don't think we can expect it to be as great as the released tracks.

Mathijs

Sadly wouldn't any official release be equally overdubbed? Same with a 1972 tour album. Why would they change their habits on overdubbing all previous live releases now.

Date: October 30, 2009 21:56

mark666
Mathijs

Mathijs

Sadly wouldn't any official release be equally overdubbed? Same with a 1972 tour album. Why would they change their habits on overdubbing all previous live releases now.

All live releases until Flashpoint have had the vocals reworked and songs edited, but never where instruments added. This they only did to the El Mocambo recordings.

Mathijs

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 30, 2009 22:55

OK Mathijs,

in your humble opinion which instruments were added on LYL's Mocambo songs?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 30, 2009 23:54

liddas
What made the Mocambo side special for me was only the selection of songs.

Musically by far the best side of LYL is side 4. Pure adrenaline.

C

Each to their own. Personally, the version of Jumpin Jack Flash is the worst I've ever heard.

Date: October 30, 2009 23:58

Agreed. A virtual Ditto for side 4's B Sugar.

How the mighty had fallen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-30 23:59 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: October 31, 2009 00:07

Four Stone Walls
OK Mathijs,

in your humble opinion which instruments were added on LYL's Mocambo songs?

Guitars, harmonica and keyboards on Mannish Boy, about 5 guitars on Cracking, organ on Rooster. As far as I can tell A&A does not have overdubs.

Mathijs

Date: October 31, 2009 00:14

I don't agree that the only appeal of the El Mocambo side is the song selection (though that was cool). You can feel the club atmosphere, and the guitars sound much nicer (Mesa Boogies?)...For the life of me, I can't figure out why they put out inferior live versions of JJF and BS.

Date: October 31, 2009 01:54

Thanks Mathjis,

You can hear 5 guitars on Cracking Up?

Always liked Ronnie's contribution on CU - and now you imply that it wasn't live? Nor Keith's?

Bah, Humbug.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 02:00

There's a great version of "Dance Little Sister" from the El Mocambo that Urban Steel posted on "Hot Stuff".

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: November 4, 2009 19:44

Do somebody know the setlists for both nights?
And what was the name they were announced as those nights? The Cockroaches?

Setlists for both nights are posted here:
[www.setlist.fm]
But are those true?

Love the album, but the El Mocambo tracks are the coolest,
what a nice'n sweaty feeling!

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home