Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ronnie & Keith: "I Can Feel the Fire" live
Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 26, 2009 00:31

with sssoul
the cd/dvd is from the sunday show, and the number that includes the Monkey Man riff is Shirley -
one of my favourite parts of the whole show. very cool of you to be there there, FSW!

Keith sang back-up while playing electric piano on Act Together; he sang lead on Sure the One You Need.
both of which are brilliant moments for sure - i reckon you'd really dig the release

I'm sure I would withsssoul. I've seen lots of clips from it here.
It may seem cool now - with more than a small amount of cult status as the first time these two played together, but as SDagger said, tickets didn't sell like hot cakes. A low key gig at a low key place to (in a way) promote an album that was not by the Faces' star member and was yet to be released. I was there as a Stones fan but I'm fairly sure not many others were - they were mainly young Faces fans. Why this impression? Because when they started the Monkey Man riff I was instantly off my seat in incredulous excitement, clapping. No-one else was. I soon sat down again. When Rod hit the stage the front stalls had a mini eruption, (cheers, waving of tartan scarves).

You know, if Keith did a solo gig in '74 (doing only Stones' songs) it probabaly wouldn't have sold buckets.

I was in the circle and .........

.............. no popcorn was in evidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-26 00:34 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2009 05:33

Looks like a great show! It's ironic that Keith and Ronnie's guitars work better here than they actually do in the Stones. Was "Sweet Little Rock & Roller" with Keith on lead vocals from this show as well? Or was that with Faces? I've seen the clip on YouTube.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 26, 2009 06:55

Four Stone Walls
with sssoul

You know, if Keith did a solo gig in '74 (doing only Stones' songs) it probabaly wouldn't have sold buckets.

Oh yes, it would have. Keith? Solo in 1974? Imagine Keith in 1974 releasing a solo album and touring behind it and adding his signature Stones songs (You got The Silver, Happy, Coming Down Again, maybe even Salt of the Earth) to the set...a tour of smaller (circa 2-3,000 seating) with a backing band of Ronnie and other friends. Instant sell-out nearly anywhere.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2009 10:03

>>You know, if Keith did a solo gig in '74 (doing only Stones' songs) it probabaly wouldn't have sold buckets.<<

for the record: i wasn't the one who said that; it was Four Stone Walls.
i'm not a what-if sort of sssoul. have some popcorn

Date: November 26, 2009 11:38

71Tele
Looks like a great show! It's ironic that Keith and Ronnie's guitars work better here than they actually do in the Stones. Was "Sweet Little Rock & Roller" with Keith on lead vocals from this show as well? Or was that with Faces? I've seen the clip on YouTube.

That was from a Faces' gig - December 1974. I have it on a Video of Faces + Rod Steawrt Material. Don't know if it came out on DVD.
Check out (on youtube) the version from same gig of 'I Wold surely go Blind' - heck, I'm forgetting the exact song title!

Turd on the Run,

I said if Keith had done a solo gig WITHOUT having done a solo album. i.e. if he'd just done a one-off for the hell of it at some low-key venue - which is what he was effectively doing with Ronnie. Nowadays the place would be packed and people travelling by plane to see it. In '74 Keith had no solo cult following. As I said - the gig was mainly packed with Faces fans. This did surprise me (that more weren't there to see Keith) - perhaps they were the silent majority? - but faces were big at the time in UK with a large 'teenybopper' following.

For any stone to do solo gigs in those days would have been odd. Bill did the first solo album (in June?) that year - but I don't think he gigged to promote it. Think he may have done a couple of TV slots - Old Grey Whistle Test. His album sold quite well - better than Ronnie's I'm almost certain. In fact he used Palm tree type props, like Ronnie. Wonder if they were the same ones?!

But for any Stones to do solo gigs at that time (esp Mick or Keith) and break the BAND 'ethos' - for want of a better word - it would have been like breaking the faith. Remember that Keith was very reluctant to start on a solo project - and only did so when he felt he had no choice - because he found it hard to break faith with his first love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-26 11:45 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2009 11:48

>> Was "Sweet Little Rock & Roller" with Keith on lead vocals from this show as well? Or was that with Faces?
I've seen the clip on YouTube. <<

... Keith sang backup on Sweet Little Rock & Roller with the Faces in December 74
and with the New Barbarians in April/May 79.
the only time i've heard about him singing *lead* on that number is at a 1999 Sheryl Crow gig,
but i've always read that the audio for that has never surfaced.
so if you can provide a link to the youtube clip you're talking about,
that would be very enlightening, please and thank you

oh and: that Faces gig is on dvd, called "The Faces' Final Concert" (although it wasn't)
looks like it's out of print, though: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 26, 2009 15:08

Silver Dagger
Unlike my Stones tape from Sept 8 73...but that's a whole other story.

now, now....please elaborate SD...

Date: November 26, 2009 15:52

Couldn't find "I'd rather Go Blind" from the '74 gig on youtube. There's a version from a Faces' '73 gig there though.

And from the same '73 gig there's this, which gives you an idea of a typical Faces' audience, that was also strongly in evidence at Kilburn.

(Good to see Ronnie Lane on his Les Paul (?) bass here).

Yeah, and Silver Dagger - what's the 'whole other story'?

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 26, 2009 16:23

Four Stone Walls
In '74 Keith had no solo cult following. As I said - the gig was mainly packed with Faces fans.

That is quite interesting. Keith was just a guitarist in a famous rock band then, not this God to worship. When did it change? When did he become a cult persona?

Date: November 26, 2009 23:16

Over the years! solo albums - getting his own set within a Stones' concert -

Ofcourse he had fans - which is why I was there - (I wouldn't have travelled 60 miles at that age just to see a Ronnie Wood and friends gig if Keith had not been there) - but I don't think Keith would have had enough 'diehards' to see him alone without the Stones. As I mentioned, I saw no-one else in the audience react to Momkey man being played. That gig was well-trailored in the music press -- it's not as if Stones' fans didn't know it was on.

Come to think of it, even with Winos he usually tours smallish theatres - so even though on this board he's a cult, must-see main man, his cult fan base is fairly limited (though it has grown over the years following his solo releases).

Mick, on the back of his solo material, was able to sell out whole stadia in Oz and Far East on the strength of his star status as Stones' vocalist - although do I gather that this wouldn't have been the case in the US?

Posted by: youngsbest ()
Date: November 26, 2009 23:49

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2009 23:50

Yes, I was mistaken. The clip in question with "Sweet Little R&R" has Sir Rod singing lead, not Keith...still a great performance!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home