Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie & Keith: "I Can Feel the Fire" live
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 00:28

Wonderfully sloppy. The original New Barbarians: Ron, Keith, Ian McLagan, Willie Weeks and Andy Newmark. From the Kilburn gig in 1974:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-23 22:30 by bassplayer617.

Re: Ronnie & Keith: "I Can Feel the Fire" live
Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 01:51

*GREAT*

i dont know, i always tought that that first barbarians 74 gig is NOT sloppy, really great and groovy guitar driven band, they got SLOPPY in 79 tour, especially on vocals XD but still punk and great in their own way

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-23 01:56 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 02:23

The thing that strikes me is that Ronnie and Keith have a natural empathy, as demonstrated here. This is further proof that Ron was the obvious choice to join the Stones in 1975.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:23

>> From the Rainbow gig in 1974 <<

it was at the Kilburn Gaumont (the Rainbow Theater used to be called the Astoria)
and yeah, the proto-Barbarians (actually billed as Ron Wood & Band) were extremely hot

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:36

Hell, was that Ron and Johnny Depp or was it Keith?smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:56

bassplayer617
The thing that strikes me is that Ronnie and Keith have a natural empathy, as demonstrated here. This is further proof that Ron was the obvious choice to join the Stones in 1975.

So true! And it really showed in the music they produced on albums and on stage up until, let's say 1986. After that, Ronnie's role slowly faded, up to a point that on the ABB album, he was not more than a hired hand who just added some licks here and there on otherwise finished tracks.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 23, 2009 11:37

I prefer that one from 79.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 23, 2009 14:46

...If anything this clip shows how dynamic Ronnie was....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-25 14:42 by Rip This.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 23, 2009 15:03

Thanks for that one, bassplayer

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 23, 2009 15:23

Perfect example of what Keith is not doing these days, which is to play what he does best THE RhYTHM KEITH!!

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 15:24

Loudei
Perfect example of what Keith is not doing these days, which is to play what he does best THE RhYTHM KEITH!!

he still can play rhythm like that, and he does, when he wants XD

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 23, 2009 16:44

that one and 'Sure The One You Need'--best ever Stones songs done by Stones offshoot band, imo

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 23, 2009 17:02

Why do so many people think this was at the Rainbow? As with sssoul corrected before it was at the Kilburn State Gaumont and I should know as I was there. Actually I've often wondered why the gig was there and not the Rainbow which was much plusher. The Gaumont was a dirty old cinema in Kilburn High Road that had stage a few concerts in the previous year, Bowie played there, Alvin Lee, and a handful of glam acts. But it fell out of rock use almost immediately afterwards. The place heldf about 2000 people so it was pretty small. Support band was a group called Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers, whose guitarist Phil 'Snakefinger' Lithman later joined The Residents.

Here's another pic taken when Ronnie played the venue.

Here's Rod on the night.

Date: October 23, 2009 17:43

>> I should know as I was there <<

way cool Silver Dagger - tell us all about it! i'm makin popcorn ...
which night were you there?

Date: October 23, 2009 18:00

I was there on the Saturday night and sat in the stalls, row N as far as I can remember. We knew that Keith was going to be in the band but there was no knowing that Rod would come out and sing If You Gotta Make A Fool of Somebody and some backing vocals. God, it was so long ago - 36 years to be precise. I remember taping the show - which I did a lot in those days - but it was so boomy that I wiped it. Unlike my Stones tape from Sept 8 73...but that's a whole other story.
At the time I was working at a store in Piccadilly and had this ticket agency very near that I would pass everyday so I could usually get seats for shows as soon as they went on sale. I was surprised that the gig hadn't sold out and that I could still get a seat downstairs. I managed to get some near front row seats for really great shows like Genesis at Drury Lane in Jan 74, and Bowie at Wembley in 76.
The support act was this really hip boogie band called Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers who kinda rode in on the whole pub rock scene along with bands like Ducks Deluxe, Dr Feelgood, The Kursaal Flyers, and Brinsley Schwarz.

Date: October 23, 2009 18:11

>> I was there on the Saturday night <<

my handy day-of-the-week calculator tells me that was july 13th - the first of the two shows
(and not the one that was released). which means you witnessed the first time Keith and Ronnie did a public gig together!
[passing popcorn] how was the crowd - were the proto-Barbarians groovin everybody?

ps i'm still waiting for your second and third photos to appear ... i am hopeful :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-23 18:12 by with sssoul.

Date: October 23, 2009 18:40

Well, the crowd as far as I can remember was a mixture of young teeny boppers Glam rock loving kids, hippies in patchouli oil smelling cheesecloth shirts, and dungarees - which were all the rage at the time - and older rockers.
And my mistake, it was 35 years ago, not 36!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 23, 2009 20:21

Silver Dagger
Here's Rod on the night.

Uhmm,thanks for the great memories,Silver Dagger,but where´s Rod ?

Date: October 23, 2009 21:32

>> where´s Rod ? <<

... er, Rod's at a Faces show - maybe that's the Faces' december 74 Kilburn gig?
(Silver Dagger was just checking whether we're paying attention.)

the middle photo, of Keith and Ronnie, is from Ronnie's july 74 Kilburn gig, and it's by Graham Wiltshire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-23 21:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 23, 2009 21:44

SwayStones
I prefer that one from 79.

That's the way I love my idols to play.........free hand

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 23, 2009 22:01

Maybe they keep saying "Rainbow" because of Ronnie's appearance at the Clapton show?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 25, 2009 13:34

The ebst RS album in decades: The new Barbarians Buried Alive

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 25, 2009 15:40

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 25, 2009 16:46

I just got the CD DVD of this, on Wooden Records its a pretty shaky video document, but I'm glad to have this performance to enjoy. I don't remember any coverage of this show but it was probably written about in Trouser Press or Creem

Great band. I love the first Ronnie album. Waiting for the NEW ONE !!

Date: November 25, 2009 17:37

hm - Silver Dagger's photo of Keith and Anita has just now appeared for me, for some reason.
that's from the December 74 Faces gig, like (i guess!) the shot of Rod.

>> I just got the CD DVD of this <<

glad it's grooving you! that's what it's for.
the black & white footage is especially wonderful, and it's so cool when something like that comes to light.
(the much-fuzzier colour stuff had been circulating for a while)

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 25, 2009 19:34

Silver Dagger,

We've discussed this before (you may not remember!). I was there too - and it was probably the Saturday - I can't be sure - But they ripped into the Momkey Man riff midway through one song - and you claim that this never happened when you saw them. But does it happen on the released video - was that the Sunday night gig.

I remember that Chilli Willi were great. I remember that Ron's lead was sparkligly good but that he did not exude confidence as the lead man. A few songs in he said rather nervously, 'Fun, innit?'

The crowd were not going wild cos this was all such new material he was trying on them. (Can't recall if the album had been released or was just about to be). I remenber the three-pronged mike stand - so we were expecting a star vocalist. I was hoping it would be Mick when they ripped into the (mid) Monkey Man two-guitar part.

Apart from the Momkey Man refrain the most memorable bit for me as when Keith took his lead vocal turn at the organ for Act Together. He kind of sauntered over to it - a great surprise to see him on stage at a keyboard - and scratched his thick black barnet before starting on the opening chords. Kind of quietly mystic/strange. I don't know how this one comes across on the released video.

I remember after the gig that hords of Faces fans in tartan 'baggies' (as also worn by Bay City Rollers fans at the time) went down a back alley to try and get a glimpse of their main men - Rod and Ronnie.

SD,

the other thing I picked up on above is that we were both at the same 8/9/73 Stones gig - the evening one for you too? There were two guys taping it near me - were you one of them? I was way back high up in the corner. Fantastic sound though.
Is yours one of the boots circulating? I had one of parts of the show on Vinyl - by Forbidden Fruit Productions.

And I also agree with someone else above that the Kilburn show was not sloppy - a bit loose maybe. Under-rehearsed, probably. But there's Keith in all his 'switched on' flowing rhythm glory - which he let go the next two years as he got more waisted. He's still got it here and it's great to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-26 00:13 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: November 25, 2009 19:40

the cd/dvd is from the sunday show, and the number that includes the Monkey Man riff is Shirley -
one of my favourite parts of the whole show. very cool of you to be there there, FSW!

Keith sang back-up while playing electric piano on Act Together; he sang lead on Sure the One You Need.
both of which are brilliant moments for sure - i reckon you'd really dig the release

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 25, 2009 19:56

This show is now available on ITunes (yeah, I know, for money), I'll say as a live Stones document, I can't think of a more loose and live moment in the Stones live catalog - I can feel the Fire and Sure The One just capture the Stones vibe better than any of the official actual Stones releases. I got this the same day I got the Ya Yas Delux, and good as that is, I have listened to this more often!

Date: November 25, 2009 20:04

>> This show is now available on ITunes <<

but but but you want the DVD footage that Wooden Records released too -
you really do, even if you already have the bootleg. the newly-unearthed footage is a joy

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 25, 2009 21:10

with sssoul
>> This show is now available on ITunes <<

but but but you want the DVD footage that Wooden Records released too -
you really do, even if you already have the bootleg. the newly-unearthed footage is a joy

but but but of course I do!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home