Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

the Kinks are my no.2
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:19

Beside all their hit-singles from 1965-1970, they recorded very good albums. Ray Davies is one of the best songwriters ever. my no.1? by far-R.S.

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Re: the Kinks are my no.2
Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:22

[www.prartwork.com]

Have a look at this new Pink Robert board. There is a lot of Kinks stuff. You can easily register fro free. No torrent download as on the old board but download via rapidshare.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:27

Far better than the "fab" 4 for sure

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:32

you really got me

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:34

The Beatles are my number 2 but the Kinks are somewere in my top10

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:55

Surprised that they never got back together again, but between Dave and Ray's famous tiff's and Dave's stroke it's understandable.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 22, 2009 23:09

The Kinks are still a great listen.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: October 23, 2009 00:33

Dylan is my Number 2!!!!! or even tied with The Stones dare I say!! MEZ

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 23, 2009 00:46

i don't think there's ever been a time in my life, starting when they first started dropping records stateside very early on, that I haven't personally considered The Kinks an equal of the highest creative order (and Dave's great melodious power git playing and harmonies) compared (and it's fun but sometimes sad to 'compare' per se) to ANYONE AT ALL working early sixties thru late 70's....streams and streams of coherent fun saucy sassy 'opera' type 'concept' records (with certain singles being so incadescent wry and knowing) there's Village Green Preservation Society, never more precious than now...Arthur, amazing musicianship writing and singing...i dug kinda kinks and face to face and tons of early releases too, but they kept growing in awesome amounts...Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround, FILLED with great emotive knowing bittersweet snide funny irreverent and open hearted songs...and performances...great great band with mick and pete as well as dave and ray....the bloosey, very exciting mixture of new orleans swooping lazy horns with turn on a time rock and stories of demon alcohol etc...during everybody's in showbiz touring years...just spectacular ORIGINAL brilliant natural incredible band...way into their Arista period,,,tho a sort of falling off point in ways...soap opera, preservation acts one and two...ever hear Genevive? he does ian hunter before ian hunter did ian hunter...a landmark writer to everyone...dylan stones kinks who beatles...the creme of the various cultural crops...but kinks, like stones, still very current, listenable, ahead of it's time; it's own brilliant eternal timespace held together by the mighty power of Grace and a rock and roll song. kinks a basic food group; my familiarity with this stuff has made me joyous and taught me much...awesome...muswell hillbillies are you kiddin' me??? NOTHING contemporary comes close to 20th Century Man etc....all hail...this is like van morrison or the rolling stones this is the stuff of holy grail.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: October 23, 2009 01:38

To be honest the Stones are my No. 2 - Elvis being No. 1 - but I don't see that as being any disrespect. I know this ranking to be true deep down as I'm prepared to win a physical fight ugly for the Elvis cause, but would probably just walk away laughing if someone insulted the Stones.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: October 23, 2009 02:24

Kinks my no. 3...behind the Stones and Beatles. Dylan a close no. 4 but creeping up lately.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 23, 2009 08:44

In the year of 1965 I had one Rolling Stones album and one with The Kinks, so The Kinks were my no 2 too..smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:26

As has been posted many times before, I am a big Kinks fan! In my top five! Probably, The Beatles, The Stones, Bowie, Kinks, The Who and Dylan is kind of hovering above them all like a sage spirit.

The Kinks, where do you start? What an incredibly underrated band that is so unique, and SO British. Probably why they struggled to be big in the US. The Village Green is unlike anything that was out at the time, a unique statement about Britain's past trying to catch up with its future. Brilliant. And then the grand trinity of Arthur, Lola vs the Powerman and Money go-round, and Musswell Hillbillies. Astounding! They out concepted The Who in one fair sweep of Davies' cutting analysis of Britain. Shangri-La, whew what a statement. And the little appreciated gem of Australia.
They seemed to struggle with their identity in the 80's trying to become a stadium power band. But that was when I was able to see them. And did I! Over 10 times. They seemed to love Detroit! And were playing there every summer. That was my education! EDUCATION! Honorable mention to Schoolboys in Disgrace, what a under looked diamond in the rough.
GOD SAVE THE KINKS!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:33

Faces and Kate Bush felt very English (Brittish) to me also, just like The Kinks did..does...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: October 23, 2009 10:43

YES! The Kinks are number two after the Stones for me. Of course I have to count Dylan and the Beatles in there too somehow.

But The Kinks music is so awesome. by far the most underrated. such complex lyrics from ray and dave, and they always reexamined and explored similar themes, great harmonies. Dave's opening riff on You Really Got Me one of the most important moments in rock history.

Obviously their run from Face to Face all the way through Muswell Hillbillies was unmatched by probably anyone. I always go back and forth between Village Green and Arthur for my favorite.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: October 23, 2009 10:59

The Kinks are great, especially love their late 70's output - Misfits is a classic album, was just listening to it this week. Love the title track and Rock and Roll Fantasy. Think I'll listen to jukebox music tonight... timeless stuff and Ray is still writing very good tunes.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 18:02

the doors are my # 2 but the kinks are in my top 20

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 23, 2009 18:09

The Mez
Dylan is my Number 2!!!!! or even tied with The Stones dare I say!! MEZ

Thanks, MEZ, for the great Dylan vids on FaceBook.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 18:48

I like the Kinks but they are about my number 52 smiling smiley

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 23, 2009 18:59

Doors overated...Kinks underated

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 23, 2009 19:17

The Kinks are my number 2 (right behind The Who) and like everyone has said, very underrated. An example of this is the song below:

The Beatles are credited with bringing Eastern music into Western Pop, but listen to See My Friend from early 1965. It has definite Eastern music influences as well as psychedelic tinges. Way before its time.

And then theres this one, the ultimate statement of Britishness:

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: October 23, 2009 19:29

great 65-70-stuff from the Kinks, but i prefer Albums like "Misfits"--"Sleepwalker"

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: phd ()
Date: October 23, 2009 20:05

The most underrated band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home