Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Metamorphosis side A: who to cover these soul songs?
Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: October 21, 2009 00:23

For the first time in ages, I listened to Metamorphosis side A - funny, but weak. Oddly, while I think generally the Stones make the songs by playing them so well, here they play poorly. BUT the songs are not bad really! What's more it struck me that many of them could have been soul classics in the right hands. Example:

Imagine the Shirelles doing "I'd much rather be with the boys (well 'girls' following the habit of the time of adapting lyrics); I love girlie soul and I think it would have been amazing.

Imagine Irma Thomas doing "Each and everyday of the year"; suddenly this cheesy song becomes epic - in the vein of her amazing "Some things you never get used to".

"Some things just stick in your mind": horrible piece of pseudo-psychedelia, or brilliant ballad in the Smokey Robinson vein? I give this one to the Miracles.

Other ideas?

Re: Metamorphosis side A: who to cover these soul songs?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 21, 2009 00:33

Its not the Stones playing most of the early songs on 'Metamorphosis', though.

Apart from 'Dont Lie To Me' and the 1968-69 songs, its all demos for other artists or ALO stuff. Mick's on them and maybe Keith on a few, but thats about it.

'Out of Time' for example, is the same backing track as that used for Chris Farlow's chart topping single. The only difference is that its Mick on vocals instead of Chris.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:00

Imagine the Shirelles doing "I'd much rather be with the boys (well 'girls' following the habit of the time of adapting lyrics); I love girlie soul and I think it would have been amazing

Donna Lynn covered it as I'd Much Rather Be With The Girls on Capital Records 1965

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:22

Big Jim Sullivan and Jimmy Page contribute a lot of the guitar work on those side A tracks

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 21, 2009 01:40

I dig that version of "Out Of Time"(just for a change) Speaking of Chris Farlowe,he does a kick ass version of "THINK"! Kinda like if Tom Jones or Otis Redding did it. I also love the steel guitar on the alt version of "Heart Of Stone".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home