Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Knocking the Stones
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 17, 2009 16:22

I have been a member of this board for 2 years now and I just can't believe all the constant knocking of the Stones. I have been a fan since 68 (Let it bleed) and always will be, I'll stick with them to the end. i just can't imagine a world without The Stones.

They are knocked for there playing ability, not releasing old footage, getting old, not writing like they used to, charging too much, playing warhorses. I really think this should be a non Stones site then everyone can really have a go at them, WHY is everyone doing it, we know their getting old, they are not going to write like they used to etc ect but lets really enjoy what's left, not say " I won't be going to any more concerts because Keef can't play like he used to" well good then, don't go, but don't come on here and pretend your a fan because fans praise there idols not put them down.

Yes we all like constructive disscusions on their ins and outs but a lot of it is just getting too much. i think BV should ban people bad mouthing them. I could go on forever but I won't.

Re: Knocking the Stones
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 17, 2009 16:36

True enough dude.

Think the proof of the pudding was the fact that about the same time recently, 2 threads were started, 1 being on how the sones have dissapointed people, and the other about great memories related to Stones music people have had.

Think the 'dissapointment' thread is up to 3 pages now, while the good memories thread has been lost to the mists of time. hahaa

Kinda indicates to me the pessimistic, negative aspects which can manifest itself sometimes.

As Python once said, always look on the bright side of life!!!

Keep on rockin.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 17, 2009 16:37

Your right pgarof, as many others here anti or pro Beatles or Stones, think they let us wait to long for something to happen.........how long was it that they released Bigger Bang?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 17, 2009 18:12

Monkeytonkman

Think the 'dissapointment' thread is up to 3 pages now, while the good memories thread has been lost to the mists of time.

CBII sorta ruined the "great memories" thread with his "hanging out with Keith for a couple weeks" post. Kinda makes everyone else's memories seem a little pathetic by comparison.

Memories? I ain't got no memories. I don't need no memories. I don't have to tell you about ANY STINKING MEMORIES!

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: October 17, 2009 18:17

tatters
CBII sorta ruined the "great memories" thread with his "hanging out with Keith for a couple weeks" post. Kinda makes everyone else's memories seem a little pathetic by comparison.
That's a pretty stupid thing to say. How old are you, 14?

Date: October 17, 2009 18:20

@#$%&
tatters

Yes. I am a sweet little 14-year-old schoolgirl. Would you like to molest me?

Date: October 17, 2009 18:29

ask me again in 4 years. thanks!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 17, 2009 18:36

Praise for them has been going on for 4 decades. There are bound to be negative things. For instance, one of the big complaints is the cost vs performance - people aren't really getting their money's worth from the band but they are getting a big show. Their singing and guitar playing has gotten worse and they charge more? I would think someone has every right in the world to complain if they've spent money on something ie anything and came away disgusted/let down/etc... It's not praise but it's also just that, not praise about AB or C.

Yet so many people go to see them. There aren't that many people on this board compared to the amount of people who go to see them. There could be even more intense (bigger) fans out there that don't bother with this.

I think some of the negative commenting might actually be more of a view of we do want more (outtakes, live albums, videos, etc).

With the 'too many OTs' thread recently it seems like there has been an attempt to Stones up this Stones board because I've been seeing more Stones 'related' threads popping up. There's nothing going on. It's another 1979 (although there was an anthology released in the UK that year, right?) or 1985 or 1988 or 1992. Nobody knows if they are planning to record this year or at all. Not one person here truly knows.

There's a lot we could praise. Look at the people that actually think Dirty Work is a good/great album or the people who really like Streets Of Love. Some people think Aftermath is their best album. There is praise all over the place. Do the Stones need a cookie and a pat on the back?

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: October 17, 2009 19:02

As far as I can tell, the Stones are real people are they do cool things
and stupid things, just like most people.

Let's not turn them into gods, OK?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: October 17, 2009 19:22

Nothing wrong w/knocking them. I love their music up until 1973. After that they turned into a profitable queef.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: October 17, 2009 19:27

If you're unable to admit that some of the stuff the Stones have released have been sub-par and lousy, then maybe you should see a doctor.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 17, 2009 19:36

Dear Pgarof, do you really think the Stones (all of them are strong men) need some childish defence. I was incontent with many things during the ABB tour, I remain a fan, and last monday I have been to a show with the wonderful Charlie Watts, I was overwhelmed by the music that evening. It showed me once again why I am a Stonesfan, yet I do not need to like everything they do.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 17, 2009 19:44

First of all welcome to the internet. If you don't have thick enough skin to wade through a lot of the bs then stay away. Believe half of what you read and less of what you think. Negative is always easier than postive. Unfortunate,but that's human nature. It would get pretty boring to just keep saying,the Stones are awesome aren't they. It also sucks to keep bashing them. But some healthy dicussion both ways never hurts. Just wear some rubber boots while your knee deep in the bullshit.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 17, 2009 20:04

@#$%&
If you're unable to admit that some of the stuff the Stones have released have been sub-par and lousy, then maybe you should see a doctor.

Right on!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2009 21:17

Just think how boring this place would be if you could not talk about the bad and the good.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 17, 2009 22:04

tatters
Monkeytonkman

Think the 'dissapointment' thread is up to 3 pages now, while the good memories thread has been lost to the mists of time.

Memories? I ain't got no memories. I don't need no memories. I don't have to tell you about ANY STINKING MEMORIES!

Whoa!

My comments should not stop anyone from posting THEIR greatest memories about the Rolling Stones. Your greatest memories are from your life experience. I never thought participating on the forum as a pissing contest, rather a back and forth of idea's and memories.

Sure this can be a rough room (borrowing a standup comics term) for personal opinions of the Rolling Stones BUT the good things said here far outweigh the bad.

CBII

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 17, 2009 23:22

the problem is they went the vegas route and thats the whole problem in a nutshell

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: October 17, 2009 23:31

I understand what a lot of you are saying but I still can't see anything good in badmemouthing them, there is just so much of it, I have never seen any negative comments coming from BV. now when
are not so goodst don
I don't need to see a doctor thanks, I kow when they are not so good but ju
't need to keep telling everyone.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 17, 2009 23:38

tatters
@#$%&
tatters

just came in from cutting the grass/mowing the lawn......read this...and laughed out loud! thanks!

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 17, 2009 23:53

pgarof
I'll stick with them to the end. i just can't imagine a world without The Stones.

They are knocked for there playing ability, not releasing old footage, getting old, not writing like they used to, charging too much, playing warhorses. I really think this should be a non Stones site then everyone can really have a go at them, WHY is everyone doing it.....but don't come on here and pretend your a fan because fans praise there idols not put them down.

Yes we all like constructive disscusions on their ins and outs but a lot of it is just getting too much. i think BV should ban people bad mouthing them.

ok..first of all I respect the fact that you are a big fan. and even though I don't think age should affect
Mick's lyric writing ability...something sure has!

i worry that..as Mick would say...you are "blinded by love". (?????) Seriously?? You idolize them??

(IMO) it's very healthy to have a favorite band etc... but idolize? The fact that you've been a fan since Let It Bleed
leads me to believe that you are at least 50 years of age or older. I thought that sort of drooling was reserved for TImbernardis. winking smiley
Let me put it this way...I love my wife with all of her flaws. I'm a fan of the Stones but I'm not going to drink the kool-aid.

Critiquing the band is healthy. Hell...if we weren't able to distinguish good form bad, the song Sweet Neo Con may have
gone to number 1 on the Billboard charts.

As for your last statement: "BV should ban people bad mouthing them"

??
That's right out of the Obama playbook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-18 00:32 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 18, 2009 00:21

What a childish attitude the poster has.Jesus a forum is all about discussion.It would be very boring if everyone simply worshiped the ground the guys walked on.
Scarey,like we had been brain washed.
Maybe if you had been with the forum for longer,and been part of the IORR magazine for sometime ,you might be a little less off target with your views.

The Stones are a band but they are also individual performers too.If you read recent reports of Charlie's efforts with his jazz,then you would realise most are saying he is still at the top of his game.Mick never disapoints in a gig and always gives 100 percent.Most would agree.Last tour he still had that magic.Ronnie is somewhat less predictable,yet he can still perform in some pretty awful alcoholic states.Keef unfortunately is the weak link,whether it's the athritis,the medication,his lifestyle etc.When you have seen the Riff Master playing his ass off and delivering(last Buenos Aires gigs),why would you want to pay mega bucks to see a performer who is a shadow of his former self?I am not prepared to pay loads of dosh just to see Keith on stage,I want him to be able to perform.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 18, 2009 00:23

I agree that there is no point in complaining about things that can't be changed, eg, their ages, their looks, the deterioration of their playing, the quality of their current output. Doing that is just a boring, negative, draining waste of time, like complaining about the weather.

But as far as decisions that they have made and are making, well, we, the fans, are the clientele and we can certainly make our views and wishes known. We can speak up about ticket prices, the fan club, the setlists, the supporting acts, the back-up performers, the length of concerts, and Keith and/or Ronnie being drunk or stoned onstage.

I think we can also review any new work they put out. As long as they depend on us for a paycheck, we can speak up. And they would do well to take note of the feedback we provide.

Date: October 18, 2009 01:39

CBII
tatters
Monkeytonkman

Whoa!

My comments should not stop anyone from posting THEIR greatest memories about the Rolling Stones. Your greatest memories are from your life experience. I never thought participating on the forum as a pissing contest, rather a back and forth of idea's and memories.

Sure this can be a rough room (borrowing a standup comics term) for personal opinions of the Rolling Stones BUT the good things said here far outweigh the bad.

I love it that you post here, CBII, but a person like yourself, who is not merely a fan, but also a personal acquaintance of the band, should probably disqualify themselves from posting on certain threads. For example, while it would be WAY cool to have someone like Mick Taylor post here, there's no need for MT to post on the "greatest Stones memories" thread, "playing lead on CYHMK".

Date: October 18, 2009 01:46

sweet neo con
tatters
@#$%&
tatters

just came in from cutting the grass/mowing the lawn......read this...and laughed out loud! thanks!

I really think izzy needs to take advantage of me NOW. In four years I won't be so cute. I'll be a big fat Czechoslovakian housewife. He won't want me then. Call me, izzy! I await your tender kisses ....

Date: October 18, 2009 02:12

Hell, if an Oscar-winner can do it, then it must be grand!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 18, 2009 02:17

tatters
CBII
tatters
Monkeytonkman

Whoa!

I love it that you post here, CBII, but a person like yourself, who is not merely a fan, but also a personal acquaintance of the band, should probably disqualify themselves from posting on certain threads. For example, while it would be WAY cool to have someone like Mick Taylor post here, there's no need for MT to post on the "greatest Stones memories" thread, "playing lead on CYHMK".

I think you should have put a period after CB11 above, and left it at that.

Date: October 18, 2009 02:24

I guess I've been snoozing...as I don't know CBII's relationship to the band.
Please fill me in...thanks.

Date: October 18, 2009 02:47

CBII, you keep doin' what you do and get on with your bad self! Your stories are priceless and we could be so lucky to have you tell them and to know that you post on this site. Even though we all LOVE Richards WE all know your Dad will always Trump Richards.

I got holes in my shoes and I'm way over due...Down payment blues!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 18, 2009 02:48

sweet neo con
pgarof
I'll stick with them to the end. i just can't imagine a world without The Stones.

They are knocked for there playing ability, not releasing old footage, getting old, not writing like they used to, charging too much, playing warhorses. I really think this should be a non Stones site then everyone can really have a go at them, WHY is everyone doing it.....but don't come on here and pretend your a fan because fans praise there idols not put them down.

Yes we all like constructive disscusions on their ins and outs but a lot of it is just getting too much. i think BV should ban people bad mouthing them.

As for your last statement: "BV should ban people bad mouthing them"

??
That's right out of the Obama playbook.
Could just as easily be out of the Bush playbook.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 18, 2009 02:51

Who's Driving Your Plane?
CBII, you keep doin' what you do and get on with your bad self! Your stories are priceless and we could be so lucky to have you tell them and to know that you post on this site. Even though we all LOVE Richards WE all know your Dad will always Trump Richards.

I got holes in my shoes and I'm way over due...Down payment blues!

+1

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home