Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Has a Rock 'n Roll moment ever resulted in a major change in your life ?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2009 19:55

When I was in High School in '79, after seeing the Clash live I cut off all my long hair.
From a blonde haired surfer dude to a snot nosed punk overnight.
Eventually I grew my hair back out, but the attitude stayed with me.
That show ranks in the top 5 concerts I've ever seen in my entire life.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 15, 2009 21:13

Mickschick, you sound as if you have hatred (or, as you say, hatered) towards the people who have hatred.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 15, 2009 21:40

>>uh drinkin' owsley spiked wine w the band before electric HOT TUNA w papa john creach, jorma and jack (don't remember the drummer right now...anyone help w dat?)

Aynsley Dunbar?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 15, 2009 21:44

uh no, was it Sammy Piazza ? according to wikipedia...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 15, 2009 22:22

Mickschick
Mathijs
Edith Grove
So I said: "Hey man, you a Deadhead?"
My response to that: "Geez, dude!"

If Obama can win the Nobel Peace Price, you surely should win the Nobel Literature price.

Mathijs

Hey Mathijs, I know you believe you are the man with no mistakes! But here again,opps! Not perfect! I think you meant Peace PRIZE! So when you get on others for their spelling errors, check your own first!
Oh and as for President Obama! Who of course has a hell of a mess to TRY and clean up, Id like people to know that its not about his presidency as of yet, it's way too early! It is however about the Hope of peace, and the work hes done in his life to facilitate it. He is a good man with an awesome task ahead.

The night they announced Obama won, if you werent watching television you missed it! People were dancing in the streets all over the world! That has not ever happened to any other president as far as I know! People were happy everywhere,in that one moment of time, the whole world was united and happy! The horror of bush/cheney era would soon be over! That is something special! Obama can create change and prosperity,it is just going to take time. And the Republicans have to get over their hatered and do whats best for the people and not for their dying party.
If the peace prize were given to one who created peace forever, the first prize would have been the last prize...correct?
But that is not possible in this world because people are too filled with hate and ignorance. And they like to stay that way and be spoon fed the crap that people like Limbaugh,and O'Rielly spew! They eat up that propaganda! Its sad really.
And that is the end of my political rant for today!smiling smiley
so now that the Bush/Cheney era is over the world is safe again al-qaeda, and the taliban have laid down there weapons and bin laden has turned himself over to the coalition forces and we are safe again .yeah if only we could get rid of the real trouble makers like rush limbaugh and bill O Reilly then we would not have to listen to there garbage .wow the world is full of it huh . i guess hollywood was right that bush blew up the world trade center and killed all of those 3000 people just so he could go after sadam hussein .

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 15, 2009 22:46

From what my Mom & Dad tell me, I've been interested in music since I was still in the playpen. Piano lessons (cause Mom & Dad said so) and choir started when I was 9 and then I finally made it to the drums (childhood dream) around the age of 10. Tried guitar around middle school but failed as the piece of crap guitar they bought me really couldn't be played (they didn't know any better so I forgive them).

When I started talking about trying bass a couple of years later, Dad just said "No. You failed at guitar." After nine months of arguing and trying to explain the difference to Dad, he finally gave in. Sort of.

Dad knew I had been fooling around playing bass lines on the top strings of that crappy guitar and had a challenge for me. On a Monday, February 3, 1986 he sat me down and played me a cassette with Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band's live version of "Tryin' To Live My Life Without You". He told me that if I could play that bass line on my accoustic guitar, I could rent a bass. The next day when he got home from work, I played him the song. On Wednesday, I rented my first bass from the music store down the street.

I'll never forget having to switch arms for the bass and amp as I walked the 1/3 of a mile home! Only to find out that I didn't get a strap! Sit down with this thing? I don't think so!

Within two weeks I never played the drums again (After six years I was only "good" anyway). At some point I even looked skyward and jokingly asked "Why didn't YOU turn me on to this instrument FIRST?!?"

I was doing studio work within four months, in my first band within six months. I ended up getting a college degree in music, got my only trip to Europe (summer of '91) provided by a performing arts group that I had joined. Met my best friend (brother by another mother) when I joined his country/rock band in 1994. Met my wife when she came into a club I was playing back in 2005.

For the life of me, I can't imagine where I'd be if Dad hadn't brought home that tape.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 15, 2009 23:07

Mickschick
Mathijs
Edith Grove

If Obama can win the Nobel Peace Price, you surely should win the Nobel Literature price.

Mathijs

Hey Mathijs, I know you believe you are the man with no mistakes! But here again,opps! Not perfect! I think you meant Peace PRIZE! So when you get on others for their spelling errors, check your own first!
Oh and as for President Obama! Who of course has a hell of a mess to TRY and clean up, Id like people to know that its not about his presidency as of yet, it's way too early! It is however about the Hope of peace, and the work hes done in his life to facilitate it. He is a good man with an awesome task ahead.

The night they announced Obama won, if you werent watching television you missed it! People were dancing in the streets all over the world! That has not ever happened to any other president as far as I know! People were happy everywhere,in that one moment of time, the whole world was united and happy! The horror of bush/cheney era would soon be over! That is something special! Obama can create change and prosperity,it is just going to take time. And the Republicans have to get over their hatered and do whats best for the people and not for their dying party.
If the peace prize were given to one who created peace forever, the first prize would have been the last prize...correct?
But that is not possible in this world because people are too filled with hate and ignorance. And they like to stay that way and be spoon fed the crap that people like Limbaugh,and O'Rielly spew! They eat up that propaganda! Its sad really.

Great post!! That's telling it like it is!!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 15, 2009 23:13

More Hot Rocks
Mickschick
Mathijs
Edith Grove

Mathijs

Tank you! Tank you veddy much!

Posted by: rubylyn ()
Date: October 16, 2009 18:08

Edith Grove
More Hot Rocks
Mickschick
Mathijs
Edith Grove

Mathijs

Tank you! Tank you veddy much!
If you report and check all the errors that are happening to be made, poor me.
My life changed when I'd listened the 45 We love You.
And I still havent changed. But my childhood was been over when I realized to have responsabilty on my shoulders, and I had to begun to carry the weight.
But anything may change myself to be a Stone stoned without any drug.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 18:32

For me, two very significant moments.......

I grew up in a rural town in the American South and country music is what everybody, my parents included, listened to. So country radio is what I grew up on. In about the 7th grade, I started getting into Lynyrd Skynyrd. By the time I was 15, I was a big Skynyrd fan and had developed a bit of interest in the Stones. That Summer, I was flipping through the channels when I came across live footage of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd playing "Freebird". It was from "Freebird: The Movie", and I was just mesmorized. I had been a big fan but had never actually seen them in action, and seeing Allen Collins playing that epic solo and the way he moved and how he just seemed so electric sort of flipped a switch in my brain. I decided right then and there that I wanted an electric guitar. So I asked for one for Christmas that year and my life was really never the same after that. Music and the guitar have been front and center in my life ever since then.

Another significant moment came on a friday night when I was a Junior in high school. I played football but we were open that week and I was going to go see another team play. They were the next team on our schedule and a few of us thought we would check them out on our night off. I had gotten into the Stones and had a few greatest hits packages and a live album or two but none of their studio albums. I wanted to get either Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed first but couldn't find either of those at Wal-mart that night. They did have Exile On Mainstreet however and I had heard that it was good so I bought it instead. I loved it right off the bat. It changed the way I listen to music and changed what I wanted from music. It has become a huge part of my life and the greatest rock album of all time for me.

Another important moment for me came later that same year. I was a Junior in high school and had put together a band. Our first gig was the birthday party of the girlfriend of one of our guitar players. It pretty well sucked but when the school talent show came up, we decided to play that too. I remember not being nervous at all and we went out and did our 4 or 5 songs, ending with "Freebird" and totally brought the house down. The crowd went apeshit. Kids were crowd surfing. We did "Gimme 3 Steps" as an encore and the principle had to stop the show. The energy I felt from the crowd that day left me knowing that I wanted to do that for the rest of my life.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 16, 2009 18:44

The Strokes - Last Night

I decided to grow my hair, don a leather jacket and wear converse all star.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 16, 2009 22:23

Having a sibling blast "Sympathy For The Devil" for me on a very old RCA record player...It was the large floor console type with a built-in speaker, and a separate speaker, and a tube amplifier inside...That was an unforgetable experience...Big Fan Ever Since!!

btw, I have "hope" for world peace too, may I have a Nobel Peace Prize as well??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 22:24 by dewlover.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: October 16, 2009 22:50

My Mom and Dad creating me in the back seat of a 57 Chevy on Valentine's Night 1960 (my birthday - November 15, 9 months later) while Elvis sang "Love Me Tender" on the car radio.

...... and ya wonder why I'm so romantic.

BTW, I wrote a song about this event

Wow elmo! You're a scorpio too! ....

What's the name of that song? all I can remember is the line from Segar's song.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: October 16, 2009 22:52

“One great rock show can change the world.” So says Dewey Finn (played by Jack Black) in the movie, “School of Rock”.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2009 00:22

marvpeck
My Mom and Dad creating me in the back seat of a 57 Chevy on Valentine's Night 1960 (my birthday - November 15, 9 months later) while Elvis sang "Love Me Tender" on the car radio.

...... and ya wonder why I'm so romantic.

BTW, I wrote a song about this event

Don't tell me you remember this!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 17, 2009 00:37

Mickschick
The night they announced Obama won, if you werent watching television you missed it! People were dancing in the streets all over the world! That has not ever happened to any other president as far as I know!

that's a bad sign.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 17, 2009 00:39

well...here's another one...when the Stones announced 2 shows at Alpine Valley in '89
i slept on a concrete sidewalk (overnight) outside of my local ticketmaster...i was second in line.
got front row (keith's side) for both shows. A 3rd show was announced later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-17 14:05 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 17, 2009 06:19

Tumblin_Dice_07
I was flipping through the channels when I came across live footage of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd playing "Freebird". It was from "Freebird: The Movie", and I was just mesmorized. I had been a big fan but had never actually seen them in action, and seeing Allen Collins playing that epic solo and the way he moved and how he just seemed so electric sort of flipped a switch in my brain.

great post.glad to see allen getting well deserved credit. i love the stones but the original lynyrd skynyrd lineups of the 1970's were amazing

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 17, 2009 06:55

Hairball
When I was in High School in '79, after seeing the Clash live I cut off all my long hair.
From a blonde haired surfer dude to a snot nosed punk overnight.
Eventually I grew my hair back out, but the attitude stayed with me.
That show ranks in the top 5 concerts I've ever seen in my entire life.

....is this in anyway connected to your username?

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: October 17, 2009 09:51

Mickschick
Hey Mathijs, I know you believe you are the man with no mistakes! But here again,opps! Not perfect! I think you meant Peace PRIZE! So when you get on others for their spelling errors, check your own first! (Endless Obama crap)

Perhaps Mathijs meant the piece of literature in the dialogue he was referring to, and not the spelling.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: October 17, 2009 10:23

yes fine posts i must say

my turningpoints would be :

* when i got my two song record of "heart of stone" and "what a shame"
and adored keiths guitarsound on heart and bills bass line on what a shame
layed the foundation of my guitarplaying and general music understanding today, almost 50 years later..!

* attending a kinks concert in obscure iceland in 1965 sitting front row.
"you really got me " from then i decided i would be a rock star. I am not ( yet!) , but I have got 2 kids in icelandic front bands !

Date: October 17, 2009 13:40

Mickschick

wow..your tolerance of differing opinions is amazing. (he typed sarcistically)

suggestion: try to meet some new people. believe it or not the people sitting next to you
on the bus or in the restaurant are probably very nice people. and guess what...they
might have their own legitimate opinions about things. And they might be different than yours.
And their opinions might be based on different experiences. They might be wiser than you think.

another example of how the people that claim to be the most tolerant are really the least tolerant.

(it must be really easy to write or speak such things in a "room" full of like-minded people. Try a different
room for a change. Know what I mean? Your opinion might be challenged and you might learn something.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-17 13:45 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 17, 2009 16:45

wow Sweet Neo Con. Mickschick really got to you. have you been up for days worrying about this post?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2227
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home