Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Biggest dissapointments (Stones related)
Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2009 15:05

I will add not getting a ticket at the ticket window in 1981. Fortunately I had a friend whose brother worked for Jovan and got that 5th row seat out of him and it only cost $75.00 which gets you in the nosebleeds today!

Date: October 13, 2009 15:09

Keith bringing in Terrence Trent D'Arby to audition for replacing Mick in 1987.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 13, 2009 15:43

slew
Dirty Work and no tour behind it was really disappointing for me.

Also I saw Keith with the Winos in 1988 at the Orpheum in Boston and was disappointed at the time because he did not play Stones songs. Looking back on it I commend him for it whereas Mick played the Stones without the Stones and it sucked, Keith plugged his record.

Huh?

Take It So Hard/How I Wish/I Could Have Stood You Up/Before They
Make Me Run/Too Rude/I Wanna Be Your Man/
You Don’t Move Me/
Make No Mistake/Time Is On My Side/Big Enough/Whip It Up/Locked
Away/Little T & A/Struggle/Happy/Connection/Rockawhile/It Means A Lot

Date: October 13, 2009 15:49

DandelionPowderman
Keith bringing in Terrence Trent D'Arby to audition for replacing Mick in 1987.

eh??

Date: October 13, 2009 16:08

News reports in norwegian papers at the time, stating that he did the stones songs better than Jagger etc. I'll see if I can find them later. A little while after Keith said he was considering Daltrey to take Mick's place...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:53

It wasn't Keith, it was Bill and the press ran with it. D'arby played one of Wyman's charity shows (as did Ronnie). Bill foolishly made remarks to the press about D'arby being preferable to Mick as a front man. Bill had his nose out of joint since Mick put his solo career in front of the Stones. It should be noted that Bill originally defended Mick publicly about doing a solo album in '85 and about not wanting to tour in '86.

D'arby or Daltrey were never considered for the Stones. Legally, it wouldn't have been possible. Commercially, it would have been a disaster. Jane Rose was pushing Keith off into launching his solo career at the time and trying to get him to stay away from Ronnie. Charlie was concentrating on his Orchestra. A Stones-less Mick was a silly rumor that the media ran with. It started I believe with an article in MUSICIAN at the time of DIRTY WORK that speculated future albums would have limited input from Mick. The closest thing to the truth is what Ronnie said at the time, "We'll be doing reunions ten years from now." Had Mick's solo career taken off, the Stones would have finished. There wouldn't have been a replacement nor would Keith have taken over the band.

Date: October 13, 2009 17:10

You're right, Rocky. Coming back to mind now smiling smiley

Date: October 13, 2009 18:16

What Rocky said.

No auditions were held and Mick never left so it wouldnt have been in Keith's 'power' to have auditioned anyone even if he'd wanted to. The Stones didnt do any work as a band following the 100 Club gig in Feb 1986 until early 1989 aside from a video shoot for One Hit in May 1986.

Another silly rumour at the time actually had Bobby Womack as a possible replacement in a "Stones Mk. II". eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Turner ()
Date: October 14, 2009 03:58

no Memory Hotel release

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 14, 2009 04:37

SNL 1978

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: October 14, 2009 06:04

-Not being quite old enough to have witnessed a Taylor Era live show (I was in 6th Grade during the Europe '73 Tour).
-Mick Taylor leaving the band.
-The Rolling Stones going from still being a dangerous band during the 1978 Tour to becoming a corporate entity in 1981 which changed the way many people viewed them-myself included. I always give extra points to Keith & Ronnie for still being dangerous as The New Barbarians on their 1979 Tour. After that, it all changed.
-the lack of an official bootleg series from all 3 Era's which I have been complaining about to friends and on music boards for years.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 14, 2009 06:06

The current round of "re-masters" No bonus material, shoddy packaging, and a big "So what?" attitude. It is ashame they don't take a more personal interest in their legacy.... and the audacity to include the edited versoin of Star Fvcker on GHS!!!! CRIMINAL!

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: October 14, 2009 06:24

My biggest disappointment Stones related?

Brian dying

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 14, 2009 07:34

Not a single thing comes close to this- death and illness not included of course.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 15, 2009 01:11

The long break between "Bridges To Babylon" and "A Bigger Bang".

Instead of "Forty Licks", there should have been a full-length new album in 2002.
But I guess they had to take the chance they got of ABCKO agreeing to do a compilation together with them since people demanded just that for decades.

Date: October 15, 2009 01:29

I'm with billwebster. Too long a gap between albums. I'm also disappointed that I had tickets for a 1989 show and one in 2005 - but had to miss them. So I've only seen them 3 times, starting in 1975. One more disappointment - no legal 1973 European Tour album!!!

Date: October 15, 2009 01:30

The Wick
Not a single thing comes close to this- death and illness not included of course.

A rare occasion when bottling the stage was justified.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: October 15, 2009 02:07

Frankfurt show (Bigger Bang tour)

Posted by: Andithurts ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:32

Deutsche Bank Gig, Barcelona 2007!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:55

Probably the fact that I've been posting here for a year and we've yet to have a fall dance.

But since that could be considered a personal failure on my part, I guess I will say Dave Matthews guesting on Memory Motel.

Date: October 15, 2009 15:38

What "@#$%& Blues" could have been, and what it ended up being. That a film with real footage from the 72 tour could end up being boring is almost a challenge in itself.
And then "Lets spend the Night together" is a basic concert film that already in pre-DVD days was not too exciting.
But nothing disappointed as much as the Scorsese - Stones collaboration.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 15, 2009 15:48

Having missed the 1973 Brussels show -too young -
Having missed the Olympia 2003 .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:29

Gazza
The Wick

A rare occasion when bottling the stage was justified.

I can honestly say the Stones have never been the same for me after this. Especially that utterly disgraceful cry me a river bit. Soiling a classic like that is unforgivable. People can say he was defending the stage or what not, but Keith acted like a bit of a knob. If you bring rubbish music like that onstage, expect a few bottles.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:48

And a crappy overplayed classic at that.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 15, 2009 18:43

1 studio album in 12+ years, no solo albums, almost no new music from any of them in the last 10+ years, nothing beats that.
We can name bad albums as dissapointments (Dirty Work, GITD) but at least we got new music back then.
It's so boring being a Stones fan now, their lack of sales is a good indication, the public is getting older, the new fans are less than zero.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 15, 2009 19:23

getting stiffed in atlantic city 10/27/06 because mick's throat hurt .yeah right .the truth mick was saving it up for the beacon sunday 10/29/06.which i did get in to see .a big thanks to that very very very special person .mucho gracias !!!!!!!!

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: October 15, 2009 19:28

They never play in Aarhus DK drinking smiley

Big T

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:19

.....Live Licks. That was beneath their standards certainly.

Date: October 15, 2009 20:48

• Not being able to see the original band in the 60's (too young).
• The Death of Brian Jones.
• Altamont (No, I was not there).
• 1986 Dirty Work-One of my least favorite Stones albums.
• 1999 (Stones raise ticket prices tremendously).
• 2002-2003 Not being able to score any club show/theater tickets for $50 face value.
• 2002/03 and 2005/06-Crappy rip off RS fan club.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:59

Never got to meet any band members.

Never got to see Jones or Taylor.

Too broke/young to go to any tours before 1981.

They haven't recorded any of my songs.

Their place at Edith Grove was a mess.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home