Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anyone seen Marianne?...
Date: October 14, 2009 09:57

I did!

She was accompanied by Doug Pettibone and performed all the known numbers: Broken English, As Tears Go By, Sister Morphine, Why'd Ya Do It?, Ballad of Lucy Jordan... She told some anecdotes during the show and had great interaction w/ the audience. It was at the Henry Miller Library bookstore in Big Sur, Ca. There was a wine tasting prior to. Afterward (and she got many standing applauses) I asked if she'd sign my book. I had a photo taken with her (the fan who took it told me he'd attended Altamont.)

(I'm usually not crazy about how I look in photos so am editing me out winking smiley
After the gig we went over to this bakery close by. I met some interesting folks... And yes, there were people there from different continents just for this show!
She had lot's of young-ish male fans in attendance and one of them gave her some books as a gift grinning smiley (I think by William Blake.) She seemed a bit bemused. At this time the sound system/DJ played the song "Happy" and I laughed and remarked 'I can't believe they're playing this song' and she said What song is it? And I replied Keith's song "Happy" and then I asked her how is Anita doing.
She said that she seems to be doing well...She repeated this several times almost tentatively though. So I got the impression there may be some issue. I dunno perhaps hip replacement related -and not narcotics.

Pettibone was great with her and a cool guy. He did say at an earlier show Blondie Chaplin was in attendance (with broken arm).

Re: Anyone seen Marianne?...
Date: October 14, 2009 10:21

I did ask the director - Magnus - whether R. Greenfield was in attendance and he said No, and then made a snide remark - but just in jest of course!

Not too far away there was a gallery with some terrific Kruger portraits >

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 14, 2009 12:23

thanks for sharing !
smoking smiley

Date: October 14, 2009 13:07

I had tix for going to a show, but the show got canceled. matter of fact - it got moved, and (I think) moved again, and finally canceled. All were very bummed out about it.
I didn't know it was Doug Pettibone with her, because I would have easily paid double had I known that. He and Gurf Morlix...
Lucinda's double live album is IMO highly recommended. And I am a HUGE Lucinda fan - but the reason I'd recommend the Live album is for Pettibone's tour de force.
So Wanton - it was only Marianne and DP for the whole show?
And you finally get your picture taken with Marianne Faithfull, but edit yourself out??

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: October 14, 2009 17:29

In November she will tour Europe: Amsterdam, Brussels.
I will probably go to Geneve.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 14, 2009 21:00

Doug Pettibone is an amazing guitar player, did some great things with Lucinda Williams. Last thing I heard he was playing with Ray Lamontagne.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 14, 2009 22:02

Great. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 14, 2009 22:40

I only edit myself out for the www smiling smiley
This was not her usual type show in that only Pettibone accompanied her.
They sounded super... I'd seen her once in the '90s and at that time she seemed sorta subdued and not really connecting to the audience.
She coughed only a little at the start and exclaimed "F**cking Hell!"
She had on -as you can see- a boho retro leopard print coat.
I heartily recommend catching her show!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:07

a gig at a spa in big sur? that's unusual - sounds great. not thrilled about her coat however - is she wearing a leopard?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:11

Thanks for sharing Wanton ....Wild hat!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:13

Damn! Anyone know why the Southeastern leg was cancelled?

Due to a scheduling conflict, Marianne Faithfull will have to postpone the Southeast portion of her tour, including her performance Oct 22 here at the Variety Playhouse. Please contact your ticketing provider for a refund. Ms. Faithfull returns to the U.S. in January 2010 for an appearance on the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts American Songbook Series in New York and rescheduled dates are being added to this tour. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 15, 2009 09:29

Thankss for the advice. We will go in Zürich.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 15, 2009 09:42

The poster is awesome !!!!

Can you please post a higher res pic, or send me an exemplar ;o) ?

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: October 15, 2009 10:38

I took this teeny-tiny camera as I was already loaded down with books (her's and Greenfield's). So, don't know if these will work for you >

Yes, I got that hat in Manhattan in May! And good thing too, as it was -to me at least- a bit chilly.
It is not a spa...the Henry Miller Library is a bookstore and performing arts space. Although would have been interesting... after the show, to the hot tubs! smiling smiley

It looks like this:

Just fyi, the director (Magnus) is center profile.
Oh, I'm almost 100% certain her coat was faux winking smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 15, 2009 15:11

Nice read and nice pics !Many thanks for sharing !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:40

Koen
Doug Pettibone is an amazing guitar player, did some great things with Lucinda Williams. Last thing I heard he was playing with Ray Lamontagne.

It turns out he was with LaMontagne for just a brief tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home