Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Beatles took by storm the Kremlin ....what about the Stones?
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 5, 2009 17:15

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Thanks very much for your quick answer!
Those sonorized postcards are really hard to find now, and as you wrote,
lots of people should have listened to them, but also went to Jail for that!
It was for sure dangerous business!

All the bestwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 5, 2009 18:08

Honestman

Here is a link to the web page with the pictures of those "rebra" records winking smiley

[mp3forum.ru]

It is in russian, but there are some pictures, including an image of the recorder smiling smiley

There is also a movie, produces by Culture TV. But it is in russian to.
Here is the link.
[www.liveinternet.ru]

Date: November 5, 2009 20:20

ironbelly
Honestman

Here is a link to the web page with the pictures of those "rebra" records winking smiley

[mp3forum.ru]

It is in russian, but there are some pictures, including an image of the recorder smiling smiley

There is also a movie, produces by Culture TV. But it is in russian to.
Here is the link.
[www.liveinternet.ru]

Great link !
Too bad, I couln't read Russian>grinning smiley<
Thanks for allwinking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 5, 2009 20:59

Huh, those "repra" records look ghost-like!

Interesting stuff, indeed. It makes one wonder when or how the music really matters - it's so goddamn easy nowadays to download in few minutes any damn song one ever wants, plus too much anything else. But compare that to the situation where people were in the danger of jail sentences trying to listen the music they love. All I can say is hats off to all those people under those terms and circumtances. Those people did rock indeed. thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 6, 2009 12:06

ironbelly
Kolya Vasin is a nice freak smiling smiley. Most of the Beatles LPs issued on Melodia came from his "personal collection". Melodia also add his face on the cover of Sgt. Peppers. Do not want to judge, but this seems strange to me, from moral point of view. But hey, that was bootleg and they did not discuss the legal issues with EMI smiling smiley

Is Kolya Vasin the man that can be seen on the broadcast with this HUGE amount of Beatles' stuff in a room ? He explained then that as he wasn't allow to escape Russia ,he had choosen another way to escape ,and it was in this tiny room ..it was his paradise !!

Honesman :I've never heard of these poscards ..thanks ,it's a nice find .We should be happy to live in "free "country !winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 6, 2009 12:58

SwayStones
Yes, that was Kolya. He is the famous Beatles fan. Or superfan winking smiley. Kind of legend.

Date: November 6, 2009 15:40

SwayStones

Honesman :I've never heard of these poscards ..thanks ,it's a nice find .We should be happy to live in "free "country !winking smiley

You could find some of them with a little luck in our "Vide-Greniers"winking smiley

@IRONBELLY

I think your story worth a translation in french.
That's i've tried to do in part, on my Blog.

see here

Russian LP's

Hope there are no mistakes for the recordswinking smiley

And once again Thanksthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 6, 2009 17:31

Thanks Ironbelly. That was some very interesting information you shared with us. I am surprised to hear that the names of the artists weren't on those early records that came out. Thanks again.

Mike

Date: November 6, 2009 18:03

ironbelly
SwayStones
Yes, that was Kolya. He is the famous Beatles fan. Or superfan winking smiley. Kind of legend.
I was really impressed .The man in so involved in the Beatles stuff ,I find it touching in regards of what his life was like in Russia ..

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: November 6, 2009 19:52

Honestman
You are welcome. Glad to help you. smileys with beer Though I do not read in french but I got something. Also, I am not russian, but ukranian. That is a big difference, you know winking smiley

By the way, all three discs you post in your blog came from different soviet factories.

#4 looks like one of the early pressings from Aprelevskiy zavod (small city Aprelevka in Moscow region)- the oldest an the largest soviet LP factory.
#5 seems like the first pressing that was on sale in Ukraine - the cover is dark brown and the apple is red. I have that one. Though I could make a mistake judging the scan. It was produced at Moscow LP factory.
#12 came from Leningrad LP factory. As a matter of fact, I never saw LP with such an apple. Mine is definitively from another pressing from Moscow factory.

SwayStones
Everybody was impressed by Kolya smiling smiley

RSbestbandever
That is true. I have several mini vinyls from early 70's. They were 33 RPM disks with 2 songs on one side. I clearly remember that the name of Beatles was not mentioned. There was another one - with Deep Puple 'Super trouper' and ???'Mary Long'??? (??? probably, I am far away from home and and can not check. While my memory could serve me bad). They were also called "Popular group, singing in English". Please do not ask me the reason why and how the groups and songs were picked smiling smiley

But sometime the name of the band was mentioned. There was a teenager journal "Krugozor". A kind of popular reading about foreign countries. This journal include a flexi disk. Usually there was an article about an artist and one or two songs on flexi disk. I think there was one issue with the Stones. But the song was called in russian translation 'I am in her hands' winking smiley. Who will guess correct name of that song? cool smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 6, 2009 21:48

What the people lacked in access to music in the Ukraine, they certainly made up for it with beautiful girls.

Date: November 6, 2009 22:32

ironbelly
... Though I do not read in french but I got something. Also, I am not russian, but ukranian. That is a big difference, you know winking smiley

Ooops Sorry, hope you'll forgive mewinking smiley

By the way, all three discs you post in your blog came from different soviet factories.

#4 looks like one of the early pressings from Aprelevskiy zavod (small city Aprelevka in Moscow region)- the oldest an the largest soviet LP factory.
#5 seems like the first pressing that was on sale in Ukraine - the cover is dark brown and the apple is red. I have that one. Though I could make a mistake judging the scan. It was produced at Moscow LP factory.
#12 came from Leningrad LP factory. As a matter of fact, I never saw LP with such an apple. Mine is definitively from another pressing from Moscow factory.

Much appreciatedthumbs upthumbs up

A friend of mine send me this EP, could you tell me more about it? Year of release?
Official or not?

It's a Blue Flexi Disc EP
Reference Melodiya M62-36979

Tracks

-Paint it Black
-As tears go by
-Ruby Tuesday
-Lady Jane

Thanks in advance!

HMN

Date: November 7, 2009 11:11

Bumpwinking smiley

HMN

Date: November 7, 2009 19:39

Honestman
That disk your friend sent you is an official one. However this is not the first pressing, I guess second half of 70's. It came from regional branch of Melodia records in Tbilisi, Georgia. It is completely legal. I mean, probably the Stones did not get a penny, but it was legally issued in the USSR.

The one I was talking about was from Aprelevskiy zavod. It was normal black vinyl of the same size and with the same catalog number and track listing. But the cover was just blank.

Those people in Georgia, they never behave well smiling smiley. They use to do very strange, risky and sometime even anti-soviet things. Let's say, all that shadow economy that started in the USSR in the late 70s had a lot of Georgian and Caucasian roots.

There was a time in late 70s when those blue flexi disks were popular. But I never collect them as they become useless after short period of time. The tip of the player just destroy the surface. So you got very rare issue. You have very good friends smiling smiley

Beside those 3 big LP factories there was a bunch smaller in different towns, kind of regional representatives. Usually it was very difficult to track LPs and flexi disks form that factories.

Don't mind that russian-ukrainian thing. I am OK with it, but just for record. Cheers smileys with beer Though it made difference in my time. If you were russian and police caught you with illegal music you'll probably face criminal or political (anti-soviet propaganda) charges. If you were ukrainian you'll also got billed for ukrainian bourgeois nationalism. sometime you can escape with anti-soviet propaganda and pretend you are just stupid. But nationalism... Well let's close political issues.

MKjan
Yes, urkainian girls are very pretty. But they all are witches winking smiley

Date: November 7, 2009 21:13

Thanks very much once again IRONBELLY,

i don't own this record , it's my friend's one, he told me that he never seen again
the russian guy who used to sold it to him some records in the mid-70's, Probably this guy had been in Jail.Sad story, because, he was a good friend of my friend.

I've added the Ukranian flag to credit youwinking smiley, and like you, don't care of politics,
my chapter is only for the recordings; but have you seen the first fake flag from USSR, i 've find it on a site, and i thought it fit very well with those hard times.

I have one more question, sometimes, one could see the label Melodiya, wrote Melodya
Which one is the good one, Melodiya?

All the bestthumbs up

HMN

Date: November 7, 2009 21:33

Honestman
That story of your friend is sad. But that was life over there.

Thank you for the credit smileys with beer. I plan to visit Ukraine during X-mass holidays. Do you want me to take pictures for your blog? I have few very strange Stones LP's in my collection issued in former USSR.

The name of the record company. It can be transliterated different ways. Probably Melodiya is the best. Melodya does not look good to me. One open sound is missing in the end.

Date: November 7, 2009 21:43

ironbelly
...I plan to visit Ukraine during X-mass holidays. Do you want me to take pictures for your blog? I have few very strange Stones LP's in my collection issued in former USSR.

The name of the record company. It can be transliterated different ways. Probably Melodiya is the best. Melodya does not look good to me. One open sound is missing in the end.

You're jokin', Of course, i will be very glad to discover your strange Gems.smileys with beer

HMN

Date: November 7, 2009 21:48

MKjan
Yes, urkainian girls are very pretty. But they all are witches

ironbelly, I read your comment and countless Stones songs are now going thru my head
:-)

Date: November 8, 2009 12:52

By "flexi disc ,are you rfering to the soft/flabby records one could hyde in the sleeve ?

Date: November 8, 2009 15:28

SwayStones
By "flexi disc ,are you rfering to the soft/flabby records one could hyde in the sleeve ?

Ce sont des des disques souples . Il y en avait pas mal durant les 60's et 70's !winking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-08 15:30 by Honestman.

Date: November 9, 2009 13:44

I am really impressed by the covers posted above.Stones collection is endless.

Date: November 9, 2009 16:34

Honestman
OK. But you'll have to wait a bit. Probably I'll send you pictures some time in the beining of January.

MKjan
Why do you think I became Rolling Stones fan? winking smiley. Definitively they met some ukranian girl in their past. Marianne Faithfull's maternal great-great-uncle was Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. That guy spent good part of his life in Lvov - the city in Western Ukraine (Austrian city in 19th century).

SwayStones
That cover cause certain controversy in the USSR. Usually those type of disks contain only name of the series and quite few details. But this one was printed in Georgia :-).

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 10, 2009 05:13

I just watched this on PBS
Fascinating

Date: November 10, 2009 15:33

schillid
I just watched this on PBS
Fascinating

To say the least....

Date: November 10, 2009 19:08

Date: November 10, 2009 19:58

ironbelly

MKjan
Why do you think I became Rolling Stones fan? winking smiley. Definitively they met some ukranian girl in their past. Marianne Faithfull's maternal great-great-uncle was Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. That guy spent good part of his life in Lvov - the city in Western Ukraine (Austrian city in 19th century). .[/quote

Yeah, besides the great music, they wrote so well for our many youthful tribulations.....and Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch.... what a name!

Date: November 10, 2009 20:52

MKjan
and Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch.... what a name!

Date: November 10, 2009 21:25

ironbelly
MKjan
and Leopold Von Sacher-Masoch.... what a name!

ok, I hope I can find an english translation, and I have 2 stories from friends who spoke about how these 2 beautiful ukrainian girls in NYC turned 2 supposedly heavy players from the bronx into their personal hand puppets and tossed them big time and these guys never knew what hit them.

Date: November 11, 2009 12:46

schillid
Thank you for posting this movie on youtube smileys with beer. Very nice one. It brings some sweet memories. And all those stupid Beatles "urban legends" smiling smiley.

MKjan
Why the story of your friends do not surprise me???? winking smiley. Maybe because I am also kind of 'respectable' now, after I got married spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 11, 2009 17:29

ironbelly
schillid Thank you for posting this movie on youtube

I can't take the credit...
I wasn't the person who posted it on youtube

I only posted the link here

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home