Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The ABKCO deal
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 11, 2010 02:16

Following a question asked elsewhere on these pages.

I have never really understood it in full: What was the consequences of the deal The Stones made with ABKCO in 1970?

Does someone know or have a scan of that deal???

Re: The ABKCO deal
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 11, 2010 03:06

It's been discussed many times. Basically it manifests in two ways: 1) ABKCO as a record company controls the pre-1971 recordings. 2) ABKCO as a music publisher controls mechanical and publishing rights to the Jagger/Richards song catalogue.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 11, 2010 03:21

71Tele
It's been discussed many times. Basically it manifests in two ways: 1) ABKCO as a record company controls the pre-1971 recordings. 2) ABKCO as a music publisher controls mechanical and publishing rights to the Jagger/Richards song catalogue.

So does that mean the Stones get no money from those songs and they have to pay ABKCO everytine they play them in concert or release them in a Greatest Hits or Live CD?

Thanks for answering this in the other thread 71 Tele...Allen Klein was one smart bastard!! His estate gets $$ everytime the Stones play one of their songs ABKCO owns the publishing rights to.......simply amazing........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 03:42 by oldschool.

Date: January 11, 2010 04:00

oldschool
71Tele

So does that mean the Stones get no money from those songs and they have to pay ABKCO everytine they play them in concert or release them in a Greatest Hits or Live CD?

Thanks for answering this in the other thread 71 Tele...Allen Klein was one smart bastard!! His estate gets $$ everytime the Stones play one of their songs ABKCO owns the publishing rights to.......simply amazing........

Sure thing...The Stones had to make this deal to get out from under Klein and at least control the rest of their careers. ABKCO can also repackage pre-1971 recordings any way they want, and the Stones can do nothing about it, although the two camps have cooperated more in recent years, hence Ya-Yas reissue.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 11, 2010 06:06

And the remastering of Sticky Fingers back when Virgin took over the catalogue.

Date: January 11, 2010 06:20

skipstone
And the remastering of Sticky Fingers back when Virgin took over the catalogue.

Sticky Fingers was the first album on Rolling Stones records, so ABKCO did not control those recordings, though some of the songs had ABKCO publishing. Curious how they managed to do Hot Rocks, as that contained material from Decca as well as RS records (Brown Sugar and Wild Horses). Anyone know any more about that?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 11, 2010 06:30

I thought the finalised deal included the Stones "owing" Abkco one more album even though it would be released on RSR-hence Brown Sugar and Wild Horses being on Hot Rocks. Of course I could be wrong-maybe someone else knows the full story? It also had something to do with the first copies of Hot Rocks having different versions or mixes, didnt it?

Date: January 11, 2010 06:32

Rolling Stones Records put it out, sure, but ALL of the songs except You Gotta Move on Sticky Fingers are ABKCO Music so ABKCO basically did what they wanted with them because they owned the copyright to the songs, which was why they were include the two singles on Hot Rocks. Same for what's on Exile, though they've never messed with those.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 11, 2010 06:53

>> ABKCO as a music publisher controls mechanical and publishing rights to the Jagger/Richards song catalogue. <<

the pre-October-1970 catalogue, that is.

>> Rolling Stones Records put it out, sure, but ALL of the songs except You Gotta Move on Sticky Fingers are ABKCO Music <<

right: ABKCO owns the rights to each J/R track, but the Rolling Stones own the right to release them as an album.
our cohorts Rocky Dijon and retired_dog have the best handle on this whole deal,
and have explained it for us in previous threads. i'll see if i can unearth some of them ...
here's one example: [www.iorr.org] ... here's another: [www.iorr.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 17:45 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 11, 2010 10:53

For your information, 2009 remasterd Sticky Fingers credited songs as below:

Tracks 1 (Brown Sugar) and 6 (Bitch) P 1993 Promotone B.V., under exclusive licence to Universal International Music B.V.

Tracks 2, 4, 5, 7-10 P 1971 Promotone B.V., under exclusive licence to Universal International Music B.V.

Track 3 (Wild Horses) P 1971 ABKCO Records Inc., under exclusive licence to Universal International Music B.V.

However, Wild Horses is credited as "published by ABKCO Music, Inc. / Gideon Music Inc. / Westminster Music Ltd." in 2009 remasterd Stripped.
I don't know how Susan Boyle's song is credited now.

Though I engage in the legal profession, I believe Stones contract is included in the Seven Wonders of the World.grinning smiley

Date: January 11, 2010 16:34

You're going by what UME put in the liner notes? They made Angie into an ABKCO song.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: January 11, 2010 20:41

71Tele
Sticky Fingers was the first album on Rolling Stones records, so ABKCO did not control those recordings, though some of the songs had ABKCO publishing. Curious how they managed to do Hot Rocks, as that contained material from Decca as well as RS records (Brown Sugar and Wild Horses). Anyone know any more about that?

Was that not because they had recorded those songs whilest they were still under contract with Decca and because of that fact (as the Maysles brothers so well documented), Decca had a right on those songs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-11 21:45 by behroez.

Date: January 11, 2010 21:35

Exactly. Songs for Soup even were originally ABKCO publishing but Mick found a way around that from what I understand - they recorded them again.

Date: January 12, 2010 06:27

skipstone
You're going by what UME put in the liner notes? They made Angie into an ABKCO song.

I think Westminister and Promopub Besloten Vennootschap 401 are registered as copyright claimants of Angie. winking smiley
[www.iorr.org]

Date: January 12, 2010 06:44

What about poor Promoright (Taylor) and Promobill B.V. (Wyman). Promowright has existed all these years to administer royalties for 1/3 of one song.

Date: January 12, 2010 10:23

71Tele
What about poor Promoright (Taylor) and Promobill B.V. (Wyman). Promowright has existed all these years to administer royalties for 1/3 of one song.

Don't worry, Bill still owns rights for:
UNDER ASSISTANT WEST COAST PROMOTION MAN
STOP BREAKING DOWN
IN ANOTHER LAND
I'M ALRIGHT
DOWNTOWN SUSIE
ANDREWS BLUES
2120 SOUTH MICHIGAN AVENUE
AFTERMATH

Date: January 12, 2010 23:45

Did the rights expire and the Stones renewed them?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home