Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Beatles took by storm the Kremlin ....what about the Stones?
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 12, 2010 01:53

Your thread's not dead Swaywinking smiley

ironbelly
I plan to visit Ukraine during X-mass holidays. Do you want me to take pictures for your blog? I have few very strange Stones LP's in my collection issued in former USSR...

You gave me your word, and what a surprise for me tonight to get your message !
Really really Kind from youthumbs up
Much appreciatedsmileys with beer

Here's part of the message :

Some time ago I promised you to send pictures of old Russian LPs of the Rolling Stones. I’d like to keep my promise but just partially L. My relatives start major repair in our house and pack all my staff in big carton boxes (I am not living in Ukraine for almost 10 years). As a result my collection of LPs is in complete mess. I was able to dig trough some of those boxes and extract 3 Rolling Stones LPs – Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers (just cover) and Its Only Rock’n’Roll. Also Wandering Spirit by Mick Jagger. Unfortunately mini vinyls are buried deep somewhere in that boxes L.

Short comments. All the LPs by the Rolling Stones were issued by St. Petersburg based company Antrop. In late 80-s and early 90-s they issued a lot of music including Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan… The funny thing they name themselves ‘Producer Center of Rock’n’Roll Parishes of United Evangelistic and Lutheran Church in Russia’. Whatever it means J. All LPs were claimed to be recorded from radio broadcast (2 last lines on LP apple). They contain original track list. Though, the album covers (especially SF) were modificated and translated to Russian.

Wandering Spirit is a different issue. I have no idea about the company. The LP itself is very heavy and not flexible. I was told once that it was pressed Uzbekistan. However can not find any confirmation of that fact. I bought it in a regular shop around 1994 or 1995. As you see the track list is shortened (11 tracks instead of 14). This is very weird artifact of the last days of LP bootleg industry in former Soviet Union.

Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and IORR can be seen here

IRONBELLY LP's

HMN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 12, 2010 01:59

Thanks for doing this !!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:08

Test

Date: January 12, 2010 02:09

Honestman great story

Date: January 12, 2010 02:11

NICOS
Test

Strange I try to write something in russian but it will return with an error

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:18

Fantastic thread!

...and special thanks to ironbelly.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 12, 2010 02:43

I doubt a hurricane will ever hit Russia.

Date: January 12, 2010 02:49

NICOS
Honestman great story

That's not my story , that's IRONBELLY's storywinking smiley

@skipstone

????confused smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 02:55 by Honestman.

Date: January 12, 2010 02:54

And here's IRONBELLY's WS lp

thumbs up

HMN

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:53

Honestman

@skipstone

????confused smiley

I guess skip is talking about Katrina in N.O .winking smiley

Anyway ,thank you so much IRONBELLY for your LP pictures& comments ,they are just great !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 10:54 by SwayStones.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:56

NICOS
NICOS
Test

Strange I try to write something in russian but it will return with an error

Yes ,I've noticed this already when onec I tried to write a sentense with another alphabet .winking smiley I couldn't ....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 15:33

...I once heard about a rumour that spread behind the iron curtain, in eastern Berlin to be exact, in 1976, that the Stones were gonna perform on a rooftop so close to the Berlin wall, that eastberliners would be able to 'attend'. Off course this rumour was false; but youngsters in east-Berlin took it seriously and it even caused some street riots, I was told.

In the west, we never heard about this until some old Stazi-files became public... About the second half of the Nineties some Western journalist picked up on this anecdote.

Never knew weither this story proved to be true or false, 'though. Still: here's my 20 cents for this thread.

(P.S.: I only read pages 1 & 3 of this thread... Hope nobody already mentioned this story on pg. 2!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 12, 2010 18:39

Doxa
The stuff we talk about looks like this

taken from:[www.stuff-4-sale.co.uk]

By the way, I always thought that the vol.4 meant that there are vols 1 to 3 of Rolling Stones earlier material - apparently my logic didn't turn out right! The truth is more... hmm... 'dialectical' cool smiley

- Doxa

Now this is funny - not only that the name of the band and the song are written in the Russian alphabet, but the name of the song is translated into Russian language. It would be even better if the Rolling Stones was also translated and the english text wasn't there, but still it is great.

Date: January 12, 2010 19:35

SwayStones
Honestman

@skipstone

????confused smiley

I guess skip is talking about Katrina in N.O .winking smiley

A

I was tired last nightwinking smiley

New comments from IRONBELLY below smileys with beer

All those LPs are bootlegs. But bootlegs of different type.

AnTrop was (is) a big company and a record studio based in St. Petersburg (Leningrad). In early-mid 80's they start to record underground soviet rock bands. The name of the company came from Andrey Tropilo - one of the first record produsers in late USSR and big music fan. I think they were using (on rental basis) industrial equipment of old soviet record plant. Though I am not sure. It was strange times of 'wild' post-Soviet capitalism :-). You should check with somebody from St. Petersburg to know the whole story. At that time (80-s-early 90-s) Leningrad was a musical capital of Russia with a lot of interesting and 'unusual' personalities.

The quality of those AnTrop LPs was good from the point of view of Soviet record technology, though not even close to Teldec vinyls ;-).

None of the Antrop LPs were legal from the point of view of copyright laws.. Though you could bought them officially in supermarkets and record stores in the former Soviet Union. But hey, last weekend I saw Rolling Stones at Tokyo -1990 and 1995 WOW DVDs in local FNAC :-). These are also recorded from broadcast ;-).

Some of AnTrop records are listed here (http://www.discogs.com/label/AnTrop) All LPs had slightly modified covers and a line on the LP apple 'recorded from broadcast'.

WS was issued by unknown company. At least there is no information about pressing. Very weird one.

Thanks very much

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-12 19:36 by Honestman.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 12, 2010 23:43

It's a nod to Jumpin' Jack Flash not being played at the Kremlin.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home