Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT - What Is The Deal With "Pet Sounds"?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:14

also - Ross? don't go too far either...once skippy offers his response, you are allowed one more free rebuttal....but it's a limited time offer....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:20

Well, Barn Owl, there is my opinion on it first, which I said. Then there is the other time I listened to it, with the "musicians" I know (that would be the band I'm in, which as far as I am aware makes them as well as myself "musicians" and not some people who just merely listen to albums and think they know everything or whatever), and it was still crap then. And they thought so too. So as you can see, I already had an opinion about it and was merely pointing out that there are other people who think it's crap as well.

I certainly was amazed at how The Beatles could have been influenced by it. I didn't hear anything. But then I don't get stoned out of my mind either so maybe that's the problem.

Date: October 2, 2009 20:37

we've finally unearthed the problem! gee, skippy and here i was thinking you were one of the good ones....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:52

skipstone
Well, Barn Owl, there is my opinion on it first, which I said. Then there is the other time I listened to it, with the "musicians" I know (that would be the band I'm in, which as far as I am aware makes them as well as myself "musicians" and not some people who just merely listen to albums and think they know everything or whatever), and it was still crap then. And they thought so too. So as you can see, I already had an opinion about it and was merely pointing out that there are other people who think it's crap as well.

I certainly was amazed at how The Beatles could have been influenced by it. I didn't hear anything. But then I don't get stoned out of my mind either so maybe that's the problem.

Really, skip, the music that The Stumpknockers play (which I love, BTW) is about as far removed from the Beach Boys as ya can get. It goes without saying that y'all probably wouldn't like that as much as, say, CCR or John Mooney.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 2, 2009 20:59

One of the good ones what? Musician? Songwriter? Music fan? Beatles fan? Stones fan? Beach Boys fan? Oasis (ha ha, had to throw that one in)? Anyone else?

What seems to have been lost in what I said is I just don't get how Pet Sounds influenced Sgt Peppers (and I think Pet Sounds sucks, which was quite clear). Maybe someone could explain it? I did my best and couldn't figure it out. It was very difficult to listen to.

Elmo - you're right. Blues and rock'n'roll is as far removed from anything The Beach Boys ever did as it can be. I'm not knocking their other songs, their hits, just that album.

And I love John Mooney - he's killer.

Date: October 2, 2009 21:01

well, the good ones get stoned outta their minds, i always thought. i ain't one of the good ones, either, i'm just sayin'....

Date: October 2, 2009 21:03

Oh....ha ha. So I guess any musicians who don't smoke weed are no good then. So how does that explain the past few years of Keith? Or the others who don't, which I guess is Mick and Charlie?

Date: October 2, 2009 21:06

you can get a good fresh stoning without weed...keith needs to get back on the smack fulltime 'fore it's too late....

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: October 2, 2009 22:57

Wow. Ladies and Gentleman, according to skipstone's band, Pet Sounds sucks! End of discussion. And what band is this? Whitesnake? Air Supply?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 2, 2009 23:11

I am not sure how anyone who has actually heard Surfin USA, Help Me Rhonda, 409, Fun Fun Fun etc,etc,etc; or any of the Beach Boys early '70's live stuff with Blondie, (Stones content!) could make the statement that "rock'n'roll is as far removed from anything The Beach Boys ever did as it can be". I somehow don't think thats what Elmo meant when pointing out the contrast between The Beach Boys and The Stumpknockers.

It's one thing not to like the Boys, but to so adamantly deny them as rock-n-rollers is just way off!

Ross

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 2, 2009 23:34

Lead vocal by Carl Wilson:

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 2, 2009 23:47

A capella:

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: October 2, 2009 23:50

Palace Revolution 2000
I swear - there have been a few times when I just didn't get it. Where I knew that I was wrong; that everyone else was seeing it, and I was just too dense.
"OK Computer" is such a case. For some reason it just put me to sleep, while all I heard was "oh it's the best ever bla bla". Eventually I did see it; and kind of like it.
But someone has to explain "Pet Sounds" to me. Why is this a masterpiece? A couple of decent tunes on there, sure. But man...And I am listening with an open mind. I know a bit about the evolution of recording technique. I know Brian Wilson, (aka the Whale), was doing this on 4 trackers etc. But listen to what the Beatles did at the same time.

I'm with you on this. I understand it was a great production and was innovative, etc, etc,. But to me what makes an album great isn't it's production or whether it was innovative - it's the music. Period.

I understand music has to do with personal taste and everyone's varies, but I do think Pet Sounds is overhyped. I think a lot of it's popularity has to do with the fact that Paul McCartney speaks so highly of it. I understand other people spoke highly of it as well (Andrew Oldham, Elton John, Keith Moon, Eric Clapton), but Pet Sounds was the album that inspired Sgt. Pepper, which is a monster huge album, so people have to say it's great. But I agree, it has about four really memorable songs on it and a lot of filler. I don't buy this "you just don't get it" crap. I think people who say this are trying to sound intellectual and how they have such rich taste in music. A lot of people do this with movies and books as well. They say "You just don't get it," but they can't explain it either.

Rob

Date: October 3, 2009 00:03

@#$%&, what do you know? Are you in a band that's steeped in the blues? Or are you in one of those pop bands? Or are you just a fan of all kinds of music? I've been clear about where I stand (or so I thought until Barn Owl hooted at me). I've heard plenty of people, who are not musicians, say the same thing about Pet Sounds but not dismiss any other Beach Boys albums (or songs for that matter). But, I guess according to you, what do they know. They could be accountants or ex-members of Metallica for all I know.

It is what it is. Saying such things is not to convince people to agree, it's just stating a matter of what one likes and doesn't like. How that 'doesn't like' is graded is up to personal taste, etc. What one hears in Sgt Peppers and then is told that Pet Sounds inspired it...and then one doesn't get it and Pet Sounds sounds like garbage, well, there you go. Explain it then. Fill me and a few others in. I have yet to read how Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Peppers that makes any sense. Maybe back then it did make sense - to them.

It's just that simple.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 3, 2009 00:12

too much ot's why .......????????????????????confused smiley

Date: October 3, 2009 02:10

skipstone

It is what it is. Saying such things is not to convince people to agree, it's just stating a matter of what one likes and doesn't like. How that 'doesn't like' is graded is up to personal taste, etc. What one hears in Sgt Peppers and then is told that Pet Sounds inspired it...and then one doesn't get it and Pet Sounds sounds like garbage, well, there you go. Explain it then. Fill me and a few others in. I have yet to read how Pet Sounds inspired Sgt. Peppers that makes any sense. Maybe back then it did make sense - to them.

It's just that simple.

Good postin Skip.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2009 02:22

Always took it to be more the music that opened the McCartney/Beatles
minds to what could be done in the studio ....Kinda what Orson Well's-Citizen Kane did for film...
But then again Wilson had his ear hard on what Spector was pouring out ...... So blame it all on Phil

ROCKMAN

Date: October 3, 2009 02:33

And Phil was just trying to get laid.

Date: October 3, 2009 09:14

brian wilson is a musical genius.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 3, 2009 09:43

Like it, or hate it, you should still be able to appreciate the talent behind it. Some incredible melodies, that really belay the times. Very different from what was coming out around that time. Brian without a doubt was the mad hopped up genius. I love the quote above from Macca about how much that album inspired him. I am not too familiar with it, but reading that led me back to it and I notice it has a song called Here Today. Interesting, Macca saying how much he played that album to Lennon and Macca writes the song Here Today about his pal. I am sure they sat around many a night sparking up joints and soaking in those harmonies and then writing their own stuff.
Some very complex melodies and intricate harmonies on that disc. Again, I am not a huge Beach Boys fan, and I am not all that familiar with Pet Sound, but I can appreciate its beauty and significance.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: October 3, 2009 11:24

The song originally called Run James Run was the title track. Brian, who didn't have that firm a grasp on reality, said "let's give it to the James Bond people," though he had no idea who they were or whether there was a new movie in the works. The other song's title was inspired by Brian's frequent gag response "and then we'll have world peace" after someone said something. The original title was Let's Go Away for Awhile (and Then We'll Have World Peace.)

Listen to the Pet Sounds track and picture it in a Bond. You kind of can. Also, appreciate the musical subtlety of Let's Go Away by trying to hum it.

I have my "don't get it" albums. OK Computer, Astral Weeks, Forever Changes. I don't bash those as crap or garbage though. However you feel, to call PS shit is just wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-03 11:25 by Zack.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: October 3, 2009 15:00

I don't like the Beach Boys and don't get the album. To be fair however I really think it is a timepiece. I do not consider it a masterpiece as I believe it hasn't weathered well. To me it's just Wilson continuing on the same path as alot of their other guff. The Beatles were breaking new ground with Revolver and Pepper. Pet Sounds wasn't so much to me.

I must admit I felt for B Wilson after reading his autobio. The Wilson's father was an absolute f*ckstick it would seem.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 3, 2009 19:51

swiss

Didn't the Beatles get acetates of this and were all blown away by it, and it was in part what inspired the musical/production direction of Sgt Peppers?

According to Tony Fletcher's excellent Keith Moon biography, Bruce Johnston went over to London in May 1966 to sample the local scene, and he brought a few advance copies of Pet Sounds with him. Keith Moon, a Beach Boys fanatic, was the first to head over to Bruce's hotel to hang out. One night, Moon found Lennon and McCartney together at a club, and he brought them back to Bruce's hotel to meet him. Johnston was amazed that the 19-year-old Moon was already famous enough to be able to pull that off. Bruce played them the new Beach Boys album, and Paul went home that night and wrote Here, There, And Everywhere, which was recorded in time to make it onto the nearly finished Revolver album, which was in stores less than three months after Pet Sounds.

Date: October 3, 2009 20:16

So calling Pet Sounds crap is not right? How about Some Girls?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 3, 2009 23:29

Skipstone, you cannot (with any premise or authority) describe an album - or anything else for that matter - as "crap" or say that "it sucks" simply on the basis that you don't like it, especially in the face of such prolonged, widespread, universal aclaim. Surely there is a point at which you simply have to concede that it is simply not to your taste?

...and similarly, if Macca says that Pet Sounds was a heavy influence upon his work, then who are you, or anyone else, to argue otherwise?

Date: October 3, 2009 23:33

there is a tendency to confuse "don't get it" with "sucks." ignorance tends to be blissful, so i hear...

i don't" get" lots of great music and that sucks, too....

Date: October 4, 2009 19:15

Barn Owl, I already did say it and was clear why. Just point out how it influenced The Beatles. All the noise? What, were they the first ones to ever do such a thing?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: October 4, 2009 19:40

skipstone
So calling Pet Sounds crap is not right? How about Some Girls?

Correct. Some Girls is not crap, either. Another classic, in fact.smoking smiley

Date: October 4, 2009 20:29

Ha ha. I agree.

But there are some here who think it is crap or perhaps some other words to say something similar.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: October 4, 2009 20:58

skipstone
Barn Owl, I already did say it and was clear why. Just point out how it influenced The Beatles. All the noise? What, were they the first ones to ever do such a thing?

What you refer to as "noise" is actually a combination of complex, layered harmonies coupled with ground-breaking orchestration, and it was these features that influenced Macca into transforming the music of the Beatles from that of a basic guitar-bass-drums combo into something more harmoniously rich and complex.

...obviously you hadn't noticed!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home