Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT - What Is The Deal With "Pet Sounds"?
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 30, 2019 05:46

I just listened to it for the first time and couldn't make it past the first twenty seconds. Whoever is singing the lead vocal is way out of his range. It sounds like his balls are in a bloody vice. It's 'orrible!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 30, 2019 11:14

HEILOOBAAS
I just listened to it for the first time and couldn't make it past the first twenty seconds. Whoever is singing the lead vocal is way out of his range. It sounds like his balls are in a bloody vice. It's 'orrible!

Try side 2. It's the most accessible side and I think it's a lot easier to see / hear why the album was/is so revered. Personally I love it and consider the album a masterpiece.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 30, 2019 12:41

Pet Sounds and Smile with outtakes and different versions is the deal. Overrated? Yes of course. But not as overrated as Ram (McCartney). The hipsters ruin everything.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 30, 2019 13:42

In the end if lot of "experts" agree that something is great I respect their opinions because they know more than I do about the art piece. The experts say that "Sergent Pepper" and "Pet Sounds" are great so I don't mind respecting their collective judgement.
I don't find the "Mona Lisa" extraordinary but I respect the fact that a lot of people rave about it. Sometimes it is not about "me" but about "us".
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: August 30, 2019 20:22

I agree that this record is waaaaay over-rated. I blame Paul McCartney who has said he was bowled over by the "sound" of the record. I have to think that he was talking about the harmonies, multi-tracking etc. and not the songs per se. He's also said that after hearing Pet Sounds he knew The Beatles had to up their game with their next record which turned out to be Sgt. Pepper. Obviously, Sgt. Pepper eclipsed Pet Sounds (and just about every other record of that time) in every way and immediately made Pet Sounds irrelevant. Personally you couldn't pay me enough money to sit through Pet Sounds.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 31, 2019 01:11

I think Wouldn't It Be Nice Is just about the perfect pop song, beautiful, shimmering melancholy.

I will have this played at my funeral.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 31, 2019 01:38

Always amazes me when someone revives a thread from ten years ago.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: August 31, 2019 01:41

The album came out in 1966. It pioneered a number of studio recording techniques that we now take for granted -- double-tracking, backing tracks, reverborators.

When it came out in 1966 nobody had heard anything like it. To use the LA parlance of the times, it was "boss." It is revered in part because it was the firsts of its kind.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 31, 2019 01:53

virgil
Always amazes me when someone revives a thread from ten years ago.

I thought the same last night. Stirring something perhaps.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home