Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
just got it - Bill is missed
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 8, 2005 12:03

They lost it when Bill left! Listen to every single liverecording and get that. They lost it, live, when he left. Damn.

Re: just got it - Bill is missed
Date: September 8, 2005 12:05

"Lost it" is stretching it a bit too far, but there is surely some swing missing...

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: September 8, 2005 12:13

I got it too - Keith lost his hair because Bill decided to leave the band.
Did you ever think about that obvious connection?

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 8, 2005 12:16

LOL Keith is the 21 century Samson. When he is loosing his hair he is loosing his power to play the guitar :-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: September 8, 2005 12:16

What drivel. Bill was a great Bass player. But that is just stupid. Steel Wheels and most of the 80's was crap an he was still there! Live in the present mate

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 8, 2005 12:39

Actually Daryl Jones is a better bass player than Bill from a technical standpoint (according to Bill himself); but Bill Wyman cannot be replaced as a Rolling Stone. It would be great if he would come back.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 8, 2005 12:54

I miss BrianĀ“s grin & slide.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 8, 2005 13:30

"Actually Daryl Jones is a better bass player than Bill from a technical standpoint"

By using that criteria ALL of them could be very easily replaced. But as we know that's not the point with the Stones; they are not very 'technical' but let's say VERY unique, 'personal'... they make really unique noise those guys..

Yes, Bill is missed.

- Doxa

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: September 8, 2005 13:45

Wuudy you crack me up.

Doxa dude!
I agree completely that Bill is missed and with all your points.
Must be that "I was born in 68 so therefore have clarity of thought that you other half breeds (non Beggars Banquet babies) could only hope for" thing again. hahaha.

Was actually listening to each new track last nite specifically for the bass lines.
They're fine and sometimes excellent - but I couldn't help but wonder what Bill might have done with them.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: September 8, 2005 14:00

uz2bstoned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What drivel. Bill was a great Bass player. But
> that is just stupid. Steel Wheels and most of
> the 80's was crap an he was still there! Live in
> the present mate

And Ronnie and Keith are the bassplayers during their 80s production - not everything but ontoo many tracks. Im talking about their concerts. Bill is missed. Thgey lost their groove.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 8, 2005 15:00

Maybe whats hurting are your ears,they certainly need testing.Daryl is doing a great job !

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 8, 2005 15:53

LA FORUM Wrote:
> They lost it when Bill left! Listen to every
> single liverecording and get that. They lost it,
> live, when he left. Damn.
>
> and Ay ay baby it hurts

Hey. Is life good back there in 1975 man??? grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: September 8, 2005 16:01

"Actually Daryl Jones is a better bass player than Bill from a technical standpoint"

For sure. But Darryl should have stayed to jazz.

The engine has no swing and no groove since Billy left the building!

Date: September 8, 2005 16:02

Wrong Rknuth. It swings more and grooves more since Bill left. But it doesn't have that Bill-edge to it anymore. Not saying that it's bad, I actually like this version better.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 8, 2005 16:51

Well the stones sure missed some swing when Bill left, you can't deny that.
I'll say it ones and wil say it again, compare songs like Beast of Burden and When the Whip Comes down from Live Licks and say Miss You from any live recording to handsome girls and you hear what i mean!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: September 8, 2005 16:59

I think they sound a little fragmented in the live sense since Bill left.

Date: September 8, 2005 17:52

so many variations on this topic have come and gone. when Bill Wyman retired he did so after expressing a lot of frustration about Mick and Keith. He was plenty resentful. He felt cheated out of songwriting credit, he expressed great resentment about how Brian Jones had been treated, and of course Mick and Keith barely acknowledged any of this.
here's a point of view to consider: Bill Wyman was a good bass player and he was totally right for the Rolling Stones, but relative to Charlie, Mick, and Keith,(and Ron) he was just doing a job, and when he reached a certain age he quit. in other words he was in it for the good living it afforded him.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 8, 2005 18:32

darryl is serviceable in the live act. that's all. as far as ABB - of course Bill is missed. I can't think of one single bass line on the whole album, as a matter of fact. Bill always helped to define the songs with his lyrical play.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: September 8, 2005 18:57

Bill will turn 70 next year. Imagine Bill playing with the Stones, he could get a goddamned heart attack on stage any sec. If Daryl would be allowed to be a Stones member, he'd be the youngest of them fellas. That would be something out of the ordinary, wouldn't it?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 8, 2005 18:59

Bill's in better shape than either Ron or Keith

Date: September 9, 2005 11:26

I bet that if Daryll and Bill both sent in an application for a music school (like Juillard), Daryll would be accepted and Bill wouldn't.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: September 9, 2005 13:46

I did not only refer to ABB but to the whole area without Bill. As Mick mentioned in Stern interview he has most of the tracks ready when they started including all bass lines. If you have a close look to ABB you will recognize that Mick plays mostly bass, JumpingJackKent. Nevertheless I'm glad Darryl changed his gear a lot and now plays Ampeg and also again Fender basses. His sound became closer to rock sound now. But again, he can't replace Bill!

When I come back from NYC Bill will play my home town on 25th. So I will be there for sure.

Rank, I think you should more fear about Ronnie falls from stage than Bill getting a heart attack ;-)

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: September 9, 2005 14:23

Has nothing to do with "living in the present" when someone sya that they sounded better with Bill IMO.
I have been thinking for a long time that the loss of Wyman is the worst thing ever for them.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: September 9, 2005 14:54

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I bet that if Daryll and Bill both sent in an
> application for a music school (like Juillard),
> Daryll would be accepted and Bill wouldn't.

These are the Stones, Kent...

Following your example, I bet that if Keith and Satriani both sent in an application for Julliard, Satriani would be accepted instead of Keith, but this is not the point...

The difference between Bill and Darryl is as clear as what you hear when listening to "When The Whip Comes Down" in Four Flicks and Handsome Girls, because you note the difference, dont't you??

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: September 9, 2005 19:18

First of all: My name is: Jumping Kent Flash. Not Jumping Jack Kent, Jumping Flash Kent, JKK, John Fitzgerald Kennedy or Quasimodo. It's J.U.M.P.I.N.G.K.E.N.T.F.L.A.S.H!!!!!!!!! JumpingKentFlash!!!!! Got it??? I Kent understand why some people are having difficulties remembering that. It's easy: The only actual name in "Jumping Jack Flash", namely Jack, is to be replaced with another real name (Or so I say), namely Kent. That spells out: JumpingKentFlash. grinning smiley

I do notice it of course. And it swings more in a groovier way now. Bill could never do that. Of course Bill had a great thing going with Charlie because he'd been playing with him for so long. I'd listen to WTWCD from FF rather than the one from Handsome Girls any day. It's just played better. But that's only one song. I bet they couldn't pull off Sweet Little Sixteen as good as they do on Gorgeous Girls Redux today. I'm just saying that after Bill left some things got worse, and some things got better. There's no denying it. Satisfaction was never better than on the Voodoo Lounge Tour (Haven't heard the one from this tour yet though), and that's Daryll playing. On the other hand they never did Rocks Off as good as when they did it with Bill.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:02

1993- 2005: Great tours, great live performances. Two very good albums (VL and B2cool smiley and now a marvellous one (ABcool smiley. So Bill is not missed. I appreciate him, but obviously he wasn't irreplaceble. And now what is he doing? Boring music with his band. By the way, there is an "irreplaceble" element just here, on the board: The nagging of T&A, LAFORUM and 2-3 other guys who never find something possitive to say about the Stones. NEVER.

PS T&A says: "Bill's in better shape than either Ron or Keith". Oh, yeh? when did you seen him and the Stones last time? Your nagging is an end in itself.

Date: September 9, 2005 20:03

1993- 2005: Great tours, great live performances. Two very good albums (VL and B2cool smiley and now a marvellous one (ABcool smiley. So Bill is not missed. I appreciate him, but obviously he wasn't irreplaceble. And now what is he doing? Boring music with his band. By the way, there is an "irreplaceble" element just here, on the board: The nagging of T&A, LAFORUM and 2-3 other guys who never find something possitive to say about the Stones. NEVER.

PS T&A says: "Bill's in better shape than either Ron or Keith". Oh, yeh? when did you seen him and the Stones last time? Your nagging is an end in itself.

Date: September 9, 2005 20:18

1993-2005: Great tours, great live performances, two very good albums (VL and B2cool smiley and now a marvellous one. So Bill isn't missed. I apprecaite him even if now he do boring things with Rythm Kings. But obviously he wasn't irreplaceble.

T&A says: "Bill's in better shape than either Ron or Keith". Oh, yeh? When did you seen Bill and the Stones last time? Your nagging (and LAFORUM's of course) always is an end in itself...

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:22

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I do notice it of course. And it swings more in a
> groovier way now. Bill could never do that. Of
> course Bill had a great thing going with Charlie
> because he'd been playing with him for so long.
> I'd listen to WTWCD from FF rather than the one
> from Handsome Girls any day. It's just played
> better. But that's only one song. I bet they
> couldn't pull off Sweet Little Sixteen as good as
> they do on Gorgeous Girls Redux today. I'm just
> saying that after Bill left some things got worse,
> and some things got better. There's no denying it.
> Satisfaction was never better than on the Voodoo
> Lounge Tour (Haven't heard the one from this tour
> yet though), and that's Daryll playing. On the
> other hand they never did Rocks Off as good as
> when they did it with Bill.

Well, JumpingKentFlash (please note I use your whole nickname grinning smiley ), mate, after all is a matter of taste, but to play with the Stones I'll take Bill over Darryl anyday. I simply think Bill's style matches the Stones waaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

I find Darryl's plying in JumpingJACKFlash a bit annoying, with all that boum-boum-boum notes (which I reckon are closer to the original studio version) instead of playing the (natural and classic) bass riff.

Anyway, it's a matter of taste.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 9, 2005 20:28

Bill not being there's not the problem. Daryll BEING there is the problem. You see 3 skinny white men and there's this HUGE black guy standing around the stage. I'm not a racist, but it looks a bit strange in my opinion too. And he doesn't groove like Bill used to. Check out recordings from 81, 89 etc. It's all great.

Now, the band still sounds good, but it sounds like it could use some oiling, you know what I mean? A new bassplayer for instance...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home