Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: UNCIRCULATED STUFF WE KNOW IT EXISTS
Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: August 6, 2014 08:53

KRiffhard
billwebster
Have the remaining 2002 "Paris Licks sessions" already been mentioned?

There must be a new album in there somewhere.

Something about these sessions:

(...)Getting everybody together for a month in Paris, I didn't mind if we came out with no tracks at all. But as it turned out, we came out with 30 tracks! On our very first night in Paris we got three tracks down. Everybody went, Yeah. Out of the 30 songs we recorded, we mixed four or five. We're still dickering between them right now, figuring out what will go on the album. But my strategy worked, I think. Everyone's got their chops together and they're really looking forward to this tour. It's not just a regurgitation. It's still a working band.
- Keith Richards, July 2002

I thought it was important to get the boys playing new stuff. When we were recording in Paris in May, I thought we might get 4 or 5 tracks down. We got 30.
- Keith Richards, October 2002

We went there, in Paris, to do 6 songs, and we ended up doing 25. Like, we have another new album in the making, if you like, out of the Paris sessions. I would say it wouldn't take more than a few months to do the final vocals and mixing. There's not much needs doing to the basic tracks - you know, maybe an overdub here and there - but if we were forced, we could have it out in a couple of months.
- Ron Wood, October 2002

(We recorded) 28 bits: 28 songs is pushing it, wouldn't that be nice? But there's a lot of great ideas, we've got a lot of stuff for an album that could come afterwards. Maybe with technology we could finish it on the road, like we did with Stripped.
- Mick Jagger, August 2002

Topics about Licks sessions:

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

Very interesting comment from Teddy:
"Re: The vaults - and hopes for what may be released
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 2, 2014 02:25

"I've heard some of them. "Just Because" is a really good country-tinged rocker. "When I Call Your Name" is an old style R&B number. The stuff I've heard would probably require new final vocals a la Some Girls."

I still hope that one day the recordings of this sessions will be released by the Stones in some kind of form. Or as it is known that they are circulating in the "inner circle" of Stones traders as the BtB sessions that some boot label will make a good offer.

Date: August 6, 2014 08:55

flacnvinyl
henrik87
Mr.D
Doc
A few stuff on video :

ALL Paris 1976 shows were filmed by late Freddie Hausser. He transfered them on digital support in 2003. He also is said to have filmed one Earl's Court show, but I don't have any additional info about that one.

The 1995 Paradiso gigs, as well as the Olympia and Shepherd's Bush concerts were all filmed in their entierty.
The Shepherd's Bush was publicly shown one in 1999. Never surfaced.

There was a cinema team at the Ahoy and Vredenburg in 2003.
They filmed 3 songs from each concert. Could be awesome footage, releasable in Hi-Def, since it wasnt video recordings.
In 2001 a friend of mine hooked me up with a guy who worked for the company that does the screens for the Stones shows, the first thing I got from him(for 500 bucks) was the Double Door proshot which I "premiered" at the 2001 Shidoobie Wildwood weekend...next up(for 1,000 bucks) was the Chicago dress rehearsal footage and the incomplete opening night BTB Soldier Field proshot along with the New Jersey "Roadie Tapes." On Thanksgiving weekend I met him in south Florida(where he was visiting family, he was from New Jersey) and he showed me a video cassette that had two songs from each of these shows: Brixton '95, Paradiso(both shows) Shepherd's Bush '99 and San Jose '99(it had a Showtime logo on it.) He wanted 2500 for each of those shows...since I could not afford that much myself and had dificulty in the past getting people to keep the Double Door and Soldier Field tapes "inside" (in other words don't let anybody know you have them because we are gonna get more!) I had to pass on them. I subsequently got a few things from him by other bands cheaper than the Stones stuff. I lost touch with him in 2003 and have not heard from him since. He told me that there are screenshots AND roadie tapes for every show during the entire Cohl era beginning in 1989...wouldn't That be something to see?

Does anyone know the guy Mr.D mentioned? Would be great to contact him.

Unfortunately that post likely exposed his source. The companies who are employed by the Stones to provide A/V support have some pretty brutal non-release agreements. It is still possible for things to leak, as they did courtesy of folks like Mr. D and their sources, once someone is outted the drips stop.

My hope is that Paradiso etc get official releases soon. The Stones will continue the machine regardless. Whether it is touring or a new album, or yet another greatest hits compilation... my hope is that they continue the Google Music series and start releasing stuff we really don't have any version of...

Of course official releases of stuff like Paradiso, Brixton and San Jose 99 would be great and are very likely as Eagle Rock does have plans to release them.

But wouldn't be great to get other concerts via the source Mr. D mentioned?

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 6, 2014 10:06

Everyone would like to see that a concert will be coming out (official) that he or she attended.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-22 18:08 by tioms.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 6, 2014 10:59

As far as I know they recorded every show they've ever done since 1969. There must be tons of video and audio material stored somewhere no one knows.

I guess the day the Stones quit as a band, all this material will be thrown onto the fan market, i.e. a huge amount of money to be earned with.

Date: August 6, 2014 11:25

That might be true but there is more money to be made now than in the future.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 6, 2014 11:32

Possibly. But I doubt Mick and Keith would throw anything out if it doesn't meet their high quality commitment.

Date: August 6, 2014 11:45

We can only hope they changed their mind. I never thought we would get something like Fort Worth 78 bluray and Phoenix 2005 SBD.

But stuff like Paris 2002 outtakes and the screen shots of the Cohl era are obviously out there in the inner trading Circle.

I think it all depends on the offer they get to get it out of this small group of people.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 6, 2014 13:28

Ah the infamous "inner trading Circle"...I don't have any hard facts but based on posts here and there it seems that things dried up that "circle" sometime after "Steel Wheels" sessions. When the "Chuch Magee" tapes surfaced in August of 2006, that's the last time we got annoying and useless comments saying "I'd had this stuff for a few years"...now of course no new studio sessions have leaked since so if/when it happens we may have that type of comment too.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 6, 2014 13:48

LA 75 dvd

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: August 6, 2014 16:25

Chuck has mention the Paris Lick sessions. He said Keith record one of his best. "Smooth 180." 2 cover songs have also been mention. I think we lost a great album, but the record company wanted a Greatest hits album. $$ wise they were correct. Just hope the songs surface one day.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 6, 2014 16:40

deeppurple
I think we lost a great album.

The Four new licks and the 2 jams from the DVD don't let me think we lost a masterpiece.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 6, 2014 18:17

If "Don't stop" and the others marked the highlights of the sessions, the record company might have had a point, but for us IORRians it is a shame, that the rest hasn't been circulated.

By the way does anybody know the plans about "Scarlett" and has anybody heard it? (Teddy?)

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: August 6, 2014 18:22

100 club gig filmed by Paul Mc Cartney. I always heard about that...

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: August 6, 2014 20:13

"I've heard some of them. "Just Because" is a really good country-tinged rocker. "When I Call Your Name" is an old style R&B number. The stuff I've heard would probably require new final vocals a la Some Girls."

When I read this I thought about the song Just Because done by Jerry Lee Lewis and looked through my JLLewis cd collection and YouTube. I found out the song is written by Shelton-Shelton and is a country "rocker" in the version of Jerry Lee. There a lot more versions of this. You could call it "a traditional"almost and thus a good song to do to warm up in the studio.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 6, 2014 20:16

henrik87
KRiffhard
billwebster
Have the remaining 2002 "Paris Licks sessions" already been mentioned?

There must be a new album in there somewhere.

Something about these sessions:

(...)Getting everybody together for a month in Paris, I didn't mind if we came out with no tracks at all. But as it turned out, we came out with 30 tracks! On our very first night in Paris we got three tracks down. Everybody went, Yeah. Out of the 30 songs we recorded, we mixed four or five. We're still dickering between them right now, figuring out what will go on the album. But my strategy worked, I think. Everyone's got their chops together and they're really looking forward to this tour. It's not just a regurgitation. It's still a working band.
- Keith Richards, July 2002

I thought it was important to get the boys playing new stuff. When we were recording in Paris in May, I thought we might get 4 or 5 tracks down. We got 30.
- Keith Richards, October 2002

We went there, in Paris, to do 6 songs, and we ended up doing 25. Like, we have another new album in the making, if you like, out of the Paris sessions. I would say it wouldn't take more than a few months to do the final vocals and mixing. There's not much needs doing to the basic tracks - you know, maybe an overdub here and there - but if we were forced, we could have it out in a couple of months.
- Ron Wood, October 2002

(We recorded) 28 bits: 28 songs is pushing it, wouldn't that be nice? But there's a lot of great ideas, we've got a lot of stuff for an album that could come afterwards. Maybe with technology we could finish it on the road, like we did with Stripped.
- Mick Jagger, August 2002

Topics about Licks sessions:

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

I still hope that one day the recordings of this sessions will be released by the Stones in some kind of form. Or as it is known that they are circulating in the "inner circle" of Stones traders as the BtB sessions that some boot label will make a good offer.

C'mon "inner circle' we want the 40 Licks and BTB sessions!!

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: August 6, 2014 20:35

This (see below) made me think of a session with Jerry Lee Lewis in august 1993 at Ron Wood's homestudio in Killdare at the end of the VOODOO LOUNGE sessions in Ireland. Jerry Lee was living there at the time. They mostly played a lot of countrysongs together I read somewhere and Jerry took The Stones a sort of as his backingband.... HaHaHa.
Would be great to hear, at least for a JLLewis fan like mesmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

When I read this I thought about the song Just Because done by Jerry Lee Lewis and looked through my JLLewis cd collection and YouTube. I found out the song is written by Shelton-Shelton and is a country "rocker" in the version of Jerry Lee. There a lot more versions of this. You could call it "a traditional"almost and thus a good song to do to warm up in the studio.

Date: August 6, 2014 20:56

OutOfTime
This (see below) made me think of a session with Jerry Lee Lewis in august 1993 at Ron Wood's homestudio in Killdare at the end of the VOODOO LOUNGE sessions in Ireland. Jerry Lee was living there at the time. They mostly played a lot of countrysongs together I read somewhere and Jerry took The Stones a sort of as his backingband.... HaHaHa.
Would be great to hear, at least for a JLLewis fan like mesmileys with beerspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Hi Outoftime, in one of my recent post i mentioned those sessions...i agree with you, would be great to hear!

Re: Keith recording for "new solo album" in NYC
Date: July 18, 2014 20:04

There are many songs to pubblish:
- 5 songs never published from sessions with Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare (the same sessions of Black Uhuru's song 'Shine Eye Gal');
- outtakes from Talk is Cheap sessions ('Breakin', 'Tell me what you wanna', 'She put the mark on me...)
- two songs recorded with Jack White;
- 'High or Low' from Bridge to Babylon sessions (Sheryl Crow spoke to Rolling Stone Magazine about the song saying Keith played her the Stones outtake in her limo and she thought it was the best thing they'd done in years and couldn't understand why it wasn't released. She claimed that she was recording it for her next album with Keith guesting on guitar);
- 'She never listen to me', 'Deep Love' and 'Some of us are on our knees' from Dirty Work sessions;
- 'You got it made' and Randy Whore' from Voodoo Lounge sessions;
- songs recorded during the 2000-2001 sessions with Rob Fraboni;
- songs recorded during the Voodoo Lounge sessions with Jerry Lee Lewis on piano;
- 'Smooth 180' recorded during Licks sessions

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2014 21:25

KRiffhard
- outtakes from Talk is Cheap sessions ('Breakin', 'Tell me what you wanna', 'She put the mark on me...)

.......[/i]

The last two have no potential whatsoever (imo). And Mick's already dug thru the TICheap sessions trashbin in 1989. grinning smiley He dug out AHYSigh.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 6, 2014 23:55

they probably didnt release the paris 2002 tracks because it would've been another bigger bang,bridges to babylon or voodoo lounge-in other words an o.k. record of absolutely no importance.

myself im glad they decided to stop adding to the mediocrity.

one thing is for sure when the stones are finally done as a band the amount of things released from their career will be staggering.

look at all the stuff from the beatles and hendrix and they never even made it past the 1960's.the stones have decades of live shows and studio work,but i dont mind waiting as long as possible.

Date: August 7, 2014 00:02

dcba
KRiffhard

.......[/i]

The last two have no potential whatsoever (imo). And Mick's already dug thru the TICheap sessions trashbin in 1989. grinning smiley He dug out AHYSigh.

Wasn't it Keith who did the digging? winking smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 7, 2014 00:06

DandelionPowderman
dcba
KRiffhard

.......[/i]

Neither Mick nor Keith.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2014 00:08

...where's Scarlet ??... Donny was raved about that one

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 7, 2014 13:33

Rockman
...where's Scarlet ??... Donny was raved about that one

Seems that it is from the B&B-sessions - Jimmy Page and others were enlisted on Scarlet - I found this on a Led Zeppelin-forum:

20 oct 2010
Duckman: ”It is no secret Jimmy was sollicited (or he was solliciting himself) as follow up for Mick Taylor. In 1974 there must have been some jam sessions. At the time I read an article about a jam which resulted in a song called "Scarlet" (named after Jimmy's daughter).”

SteveAJones:
”Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Rich Grech and drummer Rich Rowland recorded one track, 'Scarlet', during an all-night session at Olympic Studios on October 15, 1974. Jimmy provided the solos at 8am. Later that same month Jimmy, Robert & Peter Grant drove to Richard Cole's home to celebrate signing the agreement for the upcoming Led Zeppelin tour to commence in January 1975.

Mick Taylor did not announce he was leaving The Rolling Stones until December 1974. After Taylor did the UK press published rumors that he may be replaced by Jimmy Page. However, Jimmy was already leading the biggest rock band in the world, and it was a stretch for them to suggest he would have ever walked away from his fully-realized artistic vision to join The Rolling Stones. Additionally, Ronnie Wood has recounted Mick Jagger informing him that Mick Taylor had left the band and inquiring if he would be interested in joining immediately after it happened. The only concern for them both (Jagger and Wood) was that they did not want to break up The Faces.”

[forums.ledzeppelin.com]

edit:

more about Scarlet on IORR of course:

[www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-07 13:57 by GetYerAngie.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 7, 2014 13:56

lem motlow
they probably didnt release the paris 2002 tracks because it would've been another bigger bang,bridges to babylon or voodoo lounge-in other words an o.k. record of absolutely no importance.

myself im glad they decided to stop adding to the mediocrity.

Agreed overall on the bolded (although I think B2B stands out) but they released ABB in 2005 after the 2002 sessions so I don't think that's the reason these sessions didn't get released. I'm guessing the main reason is that they didn't have the time to finish the songs after getting started in May. Besides the "concept" was to celebrate their 40 years as a band so new music didn't really fit there, other than one track live.

Remember that during the "Blimp" PC, they only mentioned two new tracks to be recorded in Paris and Keith said something like "we don't know what we're going to do but that's only a small problem" (or something like that). The fact they were able to come up with 4 "decent" tracks (well Keith could have done better surely...) shows that these sessions went a lot better than expected and that they certainly could have put together an album had they needed to.

KRiffhard
C'mon "inner circle' we want the 40 Licks and BTB sessions!!

Like I wrote above, I've never seen any indication that these circulate among the "inner trading circle"...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 7, 2014 13:57

alimente
DandelionPowderman
dcba
KRiffhard

.......[/i]

Neither Mick nor Keith.

What do you mean?

There were a couple (of songs) that I'd started working on during my own album. They were embryonic at the time, and since I didn't use them, I said to (Mick), Well, I think there's something here you might like. It was slight recall on Beast of Burden, and I know Mick likes singing that sort of thing. It suits him better than it does me.

- Keith Richards, 1989

Date: August 7, 2014 14:21

There must be a complete version of the 72 Dallas rehearsals around (they took place at the Sumet-Bernet Sound Studio).
[www.google.com]

What Scorpio/Byrdman released more than 20 years ago was heavily cut. Mutiple takes of "Sweet Black Angel" in perfect SB quality? Yum....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-07 14:22 by dcba.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: August 7, 2014 17:06

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
dcba
KRiffhard

.......[/i]

Neither Mick nor Keith.

What do you mean?

There were a couple (of songs) that I'd started working on during my own album. They were embryonic at the time, and since I didn't use them, I said to (Mick), Well, I think there's something here you might like. It was slight recall on Beast of Burden, and I know Mick likes singing that sort of thing. It suits him better than it does me.

- Keith Richards, 1989

Well, that's the typical press bla bla bla "I found something buried in the stash of tapes from session x or y", but in the cold reality they instruct someone, usually the current producer, to go through the material and see if there's something usable.

Date: August 7, 2014 17:14

alimente
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman
dcba
KRiffhard

.......[/i]

Neither Mick nor Keith.

What do you mean?

- Keith Richards, 1989

Well, that's the typical press bla bla bla "I found something buried in the stash of tapes from session x or y", but in the cold reality they instruct someone, usually the current producer, to go through the material and see if there's something usable.

So if Chris Kimsey called the other producer(s), and asked if there was something left from the TIC-sessions, who would answer the call and suggest where to dig/what to use - Robert Berry? Joe Blaney?

Date: August 7, 2014 17:21

Imho as part of the WW III armistice Keef handed Mick a cassette with TIC outtakes/song ideas...
I don't see Kimsey (or much less Jagger going thru hours of 15in reels to find the "one" that could be added to SWheels).

Date: August 7, 2014 17:44

dcba
Imho as part of the WW III armistice Keef handed Mick a cassette with TIC outtakes/song ideas...
I don't see Kimsey (or much less Jagger going thru hours of 15in reels to find the "one" that could be added to SWheels).

+1

And we know Mick and Keith listened through Talk Is Cheap together. Mick even criticised it for being a bit drum heavy smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home