Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19
Re: Charle QUITS !
Posted by: MrsHop ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:20

Of course, if this is true it's kind of sad. But, Charlie is a man of great integrity & the one member who played consistently well on the last tour. I guess he's smiling in the recent pictures, because he's playing with great musicians.
The plain truth is that Keith & Ron AREN'T great musicians now. Many of the band's last shows were down right embarrassing imho, so maybe Charlie wants to keep his integrity & leave the declining circus behind (?).
There are many here who've grown-up with the Stones (including myself) & they've just ALWAYS been there. Maybe it keeps us feeling young (?). But, you can beat drugs, you can beat drink- but, you CAN'T beat old-age.
Instead of being remembered as a financial vacuum cleaner, I'd rather they just called it a day & did something of value (ie: open the vaults).
They deserve our thanks, respect & a happy old-age. But- if this is a full-stop, that's fine by me.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:20

Baboon Bro
Have we all forgotten when Charlie spoke in Poland a fortnite ago?

Dont read too much into his words a fortnite ago. We dont know what happened in the meantime, and of course "the Stones touring in 2010" does not necessarily mean "the Stones with Charlie Watts".

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:21

More newssites take over the news so, says nothing about it's true or not,

Date: September 2, 2009 16:23

<the one member who played consistently well on the last tour>

IMO, both Mick and Ronnie had a great tour as well... Ronnie had his best tour since 1989/90.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:23

steffiestones
i know someone who saw the gig last night with charlie and charlie did very strange, no autographs, no pics.

Not strange at all - most artists playing in that venue where the performers are removed from the audience by virtue of the stage set-up do not sign autographs etc.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:26

If it's true I can't really say that I'm incredibly surprised...afterall in some of the interviews after
his cancer treatment he gave the impression that there was more to life than the rolling stones....
he was right....there is.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 2, 2009 16:28

replacement? charlie drayton or steve jordan?

Posted by: turd ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:29

Why should a news agency in Australia be breaking this story?

It is rubbish. Charlie is in the UK right now playing drums with Ben Waters, he is not a man who looks on the verge of retirement, far from it.

They also say Charlie Drayton is the Winos drummer who will 'replace' Charlie in the Stones (oh yeah, what a load of bollox) - in any case Winos drummer is Steve Jordan.

This is someone with a fertile imagination trying to get some cheap publicty

Date: September 2, 2009 16:30

Maybe Charlie's simply taking time off to get REMASTERED by Universal Music. winking smiley

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:32

I will be happy if he just does studio work somewhere close to his home so he can go home every night, at least we might get one last original album. Still be so sad if the rumour is true, it just would not be the Stones anymore. If he wants to just do his own thing like Bill did, then good luck to him. It would be even more sad if some amongst us in the near future condemmed him like they have done to Bill for doing what he likes to do in his later years.
Rumour, true or not, should get rid of a few OTs on this board and/or make our collections a bit more valuable

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:33

I don't think we should be really worried, I personally don't believe it at all.

I mean this is exactly the kind of news that pops up when there is nothing else happening. The least believable part is that the others are already looking for a drummer.

Nothing has been announced yet, which means that IF it was true, it would be also quite new to the band members. And I am sure they would be looking for another drummer instantly with no album or tour on the way. I mean okay, there are rumours about an album being worked on...but again - would that be the time Charlie would quit? In the middle of the work? No. And if there is no work on an album, they would not be looking for a drummer. And it is all just silly...

I remember the last year all the news about Led Zep. The news they were about to tour without Plant, that they auditioned singers...This is just the same kind of news for me.

Date: September 2, 2009 16:33

<Why should a news agency in Australia be breaking this story?>

Undercover is an Aussie Stones fan site, no?

Obviously not, checked it out - sorry grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-02 16:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:36

DandelionPowderman
<What about this MJ and KR recent fight ?>

Which fight would that be??

I thought I read something about that on the forum but not sure eye rolling smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:37

Well at least we have Stones news to talk about for a change.winking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: DCChris ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:37

Bullshit!
Charlie doesn`t quit! Never! Believe me!

Posted by: orson ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:38

in news storys are always 50% truth and 50% nonsens:
I believe the 50% truth in this story is, that the stones tour in 2010

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:42

about this album it's quite easy to check. I am a neighbour of the Guillaume Tell studio, Davout is a few blocks from here too.
Easy to see if there's some activity around Mick's castle.
Would they record in London this time ? easy to check too.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:44

If it is indeed true, I guess I would want the Rolling Stones to end. I just love Charlie and his playing.

I have to admit, I've never really like the drumming on Keith's solo albums that much. If they do choose to go on, I hope they find someone else.

Posted by: detroitken ()

I dont believe this story....

Posted by: bv ()

Undercover Australia is usually a pretty good source, but they do usually quote other sources. If Charlie told Mick and Keith he would not tour anymore then there would be a very small inner circle only knowing this info. Michael Cohl would be told, because it is a different product he would be selling (the next tour). Once they start talking to other drummers it will be very hard to keep such a secret. For now all I can say this is just unconfirmed.

Bjornulf

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:50

It´s crap. The Stones never will play without Charlie. Charlie is the Rolling Stones, said keith. And Charles Drayton played bass in the winos. He just played drums in a little number of songs. The drummer was Steve Jordan.

Posted by: Voodoohat ()

Thank you for the information bv

Posted by: open-g ()

Terrible news - if it is true.

could this be a dirty marketing trick by ....M.Cohl? ...in though economic times, to make sure to sell more tickets?
'give them the shock treatment first , then later say it ain't so'

Noels quitting made a big media splash, didn't it.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:51

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but I had a somewhat fascinating thought: Would you prefer Charlie retire from The Stones (presumably bring an end to the touring juggernaut) and a DVD/Blu-ray and CD of the 1972 and 1975 tours be released, or see another tour in 2010 and beyond and no opening of the vaults?

Date: September 2, 2009 16:52

The latter...

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:54

True or not, this isn't how you announce news like this. I've been in PR for years and you just don't do it this way. He would have "retired" unless there was some sort of issues and he quit. Plus, it wouldn't be broken through an anonymous source in Australia, it would have been made available all at the same time by a confirmed source. No professional wants such speculation and if true it will be validated fairly quickly, same if it is false. Either way, it all just doesn't seem to make any sense.

Wayne

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 17:00

For everyone who so quickly says that this cannot be true, consider Elisabeth Kübler-Ross' five stages of grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. hope/ bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

I'm not saying that the article must be true, but the story could be true for a variety of reasons that we've all known about for a long time. Perhaps Charlie simply feels that playing Satisfaction for the 147th time in 600 nights in some football stadium in a far-flung spot fifteen hours from home isn't what he wants to be doing.

That doesn't seem so unreasonable to me--at least not so unreasonable that I would deny the story on the face of it.

Personally I'm somewhere between the hope and depression stage. Who knew that drinking a bottle of cheap bordeaux at 9:30 in the morning would seem a reasonable thing to do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-02 17:10 by camper88.

Date: September 2, 2009 17:04

Sad if it is true because no Charlie = no Stones IMO. But I refuse to believe Charlie will call it quits entirely! The fact that he is playing small gigs with the jazz band proves Charlie still enjoys playing live music, but we all know he hated long tours. So if he doesnt want a grand scale tour, he may consider studio recording, which is what we really want anyway ~ new material instead of the same old setlists and overpriced tickets. Possibly the Stones can do a Michael Jackson style tour with 50 dates scattered throughout the year at the O2 Dome, instead of them traveling to us, we can go to them and Charlie can stay closer to home. Considering Charlie's position, it is time to re-design the Stones machine. Grand scale tours may in fact be over, but I stick to what KEEF said, until one of them drops dead the Stones will go on!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 2, 2009 17:05

If it's true it's not necessarily the end of the Rolling Stones. Charlie was quoted in a 2005 Rolling Stone article as saying that he fully expects that Mick and Keith will someday carry on without him, and that he has no problem with the Stones continuing on with someone else playing the drums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-02 17:09 by tatters.

Date: September 2, 2009 17:08

<If it's true it's necessarily the end of the Rolling Stones. Charlie was quoted in a 2005 Rolling Stone article as saying that he fully expects that Mick and Keith will someday carry on without him, and that he has no problem with the Stones continuing on with someone else playing the drums.>

That just underlines how great Charlie Watts is!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home