Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Voodoo Lounge - 15 years on
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 24, 2009 03:03

StonesTod
ummm...i have it on good authority than BNC ain't about cars...

Yes I am aware of this. Okay, car-themed/car-as-a-woman metaphor, whichever.Just saying I liked one song better than the other was all.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 24, 2009 03:05

theimposter
StonesTod
ummm...i have it on good authority than BNC ain't about cars...

Yes I am aware of this. Okay, car-themed/car-as-a-woman metaphor, whichever.Just saying I liked one song better than the other was all.

ok - but she was brand new and everything....

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 25, 2009 02:30

Well, I listened to the remastered version & it hasn't improved any. It sounds better on some songs(LIS, Blinded) but overall, there worst effort ever. Still, that's a C+.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 25, 2009 07:43

StonesTod
anyone else not particularly fond of Love is Strong, which is essentially just a watered-down, recycled version of keith's wicked as it seems? ...the bridge on LIS is just a complete cheeseball...
not into winos at all zzzzzzzz, but love is strong is good until the vegas back-up vocals come in and ruin everything.

Date: August 25, 2009 07:47

jamesfdouglas
benon again
I`m very surprised with so high asssesment of Wandering Spirit between Stones fans.Don`t you hear differences between tasteless , ordinary one dimensional guitars on Jaggers album and Richards/Wood guitar work?Even poorest Stones song has classy guitars with really sophisticated sound.Acustics , electrics , they have spirit and taste.Back to subject - VL has one poor element for me - it is Daryll`s bass.That`s why swing has gone i`m sorry.

I can only speak for myself, but the reason why WS soars above the other post-Tattoo You output is first and foremost in the songwriting.
A song is only as good as it's written.
You can have the producer(s) tweak it however you want for better or worse - if you don't have a well-written song first, it all falls apart. Wandering Spirit is what Voodoo Lounge should have been.
Word. most of ws songs are fully realized, while almost all of vl songs are half-assed, the potential is there for some but still lacking.

Date: August 25, 2009 07:58

StonesTod
Slick
StonesTod
so little love for jugular...great groove...some of mick's best harp playing...okay, throwawy lyrics, but it's a friggin' dance number....and charlie rarely sounded better....not sure what gives....
micks godawful vocals nd the monkeys on backup dont help. suck on the jugulaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar lol

i'm as critical of many of mick's latter-day vocal personas...but this one he employs on jugular is great, imo.

still haven't heard the definitive argument against this song...who among us isn't inspired to get up and dance or suck or something when this comes on?
i think the call and response on the chorus between mick and back-ups is cringe-worthy, and when he gets to suck on the jugulaaaaaaaaaaar, he is channeling his incredibly crappy vocals found on songs like winning ugly (skaaaareeeeeminnnnnnnng) and hearts for sale. thats why i dont like it, music is ok.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: August 25, 2009 08:06

Slick
jamesfdouglas
benon again
I`m very surprised with so high asssesment of Wandering Spirit between Stones fans.Don`t you hear differences between tasteless , ordinary one dimensional guitars on Jaggers album and Richards/Wood guitar work?Even poorest Stones song has classy guitars with really sophisticated sound.Acustics , electrics , they have spirit and taste.Back to subject - VL has one poor element for me - it is Daryll`s bass.That`s why swing has gone i`m sorry.

I can only speak for myself, but the reason why WS soars above the other post-Tattoo You output is first and foremost in the songwriting.
A song is only as good as it's written.
You can have the producer(s) tweak it however you want for better or worse - if you don't have a well-written song first, it all falls apart. Wandering Spirit is what Voodoo Lounge should have been.
Word. most of ws songs are fully realized, while almost all of vl songs are half-assed, the potential is there for some but still lacking.

this coming from a world renowned lyricist of course

OLDKR

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: August 25, 2009 11:09

Actually.... its one of my favorite albums by the Stones. drinking smiley

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: August 25, 2009 21:55

I listened to it as the following eight song record and it sounded really good:

Love is Strong
You got me Rocking
The Worst
Moon is Up
Out of Tears
Sweethearts Together
Thru and Thru
Baby break it Down

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 25, 2009 22:00

Slick
StonesTod
Slick
StonesTod
so little love for jugular...great groove...some of mick's best harp playing...okay, throwawy lyrics, but it's a friggin' dance number....and charlie rarely sounded better....not sure what gives....
micks godawful vocals nd the monkeys on backup dont help. suck on the jugulaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar lol

i'm as critical of many of mick's latter-day vocal personas...but this one he employs on jugular is great, imo.

still haven't heard the definitive argument against this song...who among us isn't inspired to get up and dance or suck or something when this comes on?
i think the call and response on the chorus between mick and back-ups is cringe-worthy, and when he gets to suck on the jugulaaaaaaaaaaar, he is channeling his incredibly crappy vocals found on songs like winning ugly (skaaaareeeeeminnnnnnnng) and hearts for sale. thats why i dont like it, music is ok.

i don't hear any of the annoying mannered vocals on jugular that i do on hearts for sale nor winning ugly....

Date: August 26, 2009 23:11

StonesTod
Slick
StonesTod
Slick
StonesTod

i don't hear any of the annoying mannered vocals on jugular that i do on hearts for sale nor winning ugly....
JUGULAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR lol

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 26, 2009 23:18

Great album and tour.

The only track I don't enjoy is Jugular - it sounds forced and even out of tune in some places.

Overall the best album since Tattoo You though.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: August 27, 2009 16:26

i loved this album right form the beginning and i think it has aged pretty well. I think it was the last time that the stones had a hugh succes with the broader public; Bridges, 3 years latter, was received with much less enthusism, though for me in a different way it´s a very good album too.

Love Is Strong - Great tune and video; very catching; for me personally the best "modern" stones single (1989-2005); and if you consider it as a brother of Wicked As It Seems and One Hit - i love them too...smiling smiley))

You Got Me Rocking - typical stones rocker, very catching- it was love from the very first hearing

Sparks Will Fly - one more typical stones rocker; you can consider the line "sharks will cry" just silly, but who cares - in a way its funny....

The Worst - nice and typical Keith ballad

New Faces - nothing for me

Moon Is Up - cool, interesting song

Out Of Tears - reminds me of Lady Jane

I Go Wild - i've always liked this tune. nice guitar from Ronnie

Brand New Car - nothing for me. a bit boring

Sweethearts Together - nothing for me; almost a bit "sticky"; for me the lowpoint of the album, in the category of "Blinded by love"

Suck On The Jugular - not my taste, but in a way ok

Blinded By Rainbows - for me a typical, but beautiful, late-stones ballad

Baby Break It Down - nice, but nothing more

Thru And Thru - i think from the latter-Keith songs this is my fav; interesting song

Mean Disposition - i just like it!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 27, 2009 21:29

IMO Best Stones Studio Album since...Tattoo You (Stripped is my #1 but it's an hybrid one with half studio tunes and half live tunes)

Far much better that B2B and ABB and even Steel Wheels.
I don't talk of "Undercover">grinning smiley<

Most underated songs

Brand new car , Sweethearts together, Blinded by rainbows

Worst Song

Suck on the Jugular (Sounds like a bad Mick's outtake solo work)

And last but not least maybe the latest two great Classics Stones Rock

Love is strong
You got me rocking (Even if i prefer the early writin' version from Voodoo Stew with Keith on Vocals)

And the masterpiece from Keith

Thru and Thru

You add to this Album the Voodoo Brew -Voodoo Stew and Residue stuff
and you have maybe the latest great inspiration in writing songs from our favourite Band! But that's only my opinion and you could not like itwinking smiley

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-27 21:30 by Honestman.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:23

The MEZ hates Suck On The Jugular!! MEZ

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 28, 2009 06:26

thats because its a filler track at best

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 12, 2010 22:43

StonesTod

well, when you have essentially a fillers album, you don't wanna clutter it up with too many good songs...

HAHA you crack me up.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 13, 2010 01:01

The Worst - Keef at his coolest & best

Thru & Thru - An absolute crock of shit. Yawn

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 13, 2010 01:15

tomcat2006

Thru & Thru - An absolute crock of shit. Yawn

"Look me up under services"

That line always cracked me up when I heard it.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 13, 2010 01:57

Voodoo Lounge is the best modern day Stones record.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: July 13, 2010 02:53

There is an entire CD of the album in Voodoo Brew that is mixed differently (rawer).
IMO this mix buries what was ultimately released.

This album is neck and neck with Bridges for me (both much better than SW IMO)

The only negative for me is the length. They could have taken off a few clunkers: Moon Is Up, I Go Wild, Sweethearts & Sparks

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 13, 2010 03:21

On most of Voodoo Lounge, they strain too much in trying to sound like vintage Stones of various stripes. The problem is that, in recalling earlier vintage material (e.g., New Faces = Lady Jane), they draw attention to the poor quality of the newer songs. I Go Wild would love to be the new big stadium rave-up, but just stinks. There are lots of other clunkers as well (You Got Me Rocking, Sparks Will Fly, Out of Tears, Brand New Car, Sweethearts Together, Suck on the Jugular, Blinded by Rainbows, Baby Break It Down). Hell, one could even argue that The Worst is just reheated Keef country.

Time hasn't been kind to Voodoo Lounge. I like a couple of the weirder things on it (Moon Is Up, Thru and Thru), but you can have the rest. Those two, Love is Strong, Mean Disposition, and Jump on Top of Me would have made a fine EP.

I hadn't played VL for a few years prior to the recent remasters. Coming back to it, I thought "this is really awful." On the other hand, Steel Wheels was better than I remembered it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 07:46 by baxlap.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 13, 2010 07:27

I like voodoo lounge i think its way better than a bigger bang and bridges.voodoo lounge was my 1st Stones concert

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 13, 2010 10:10

It's likey the best over-all in the post-Bill era, but that's not saying much. I'm not a huge fan of B2B (except 3 of them are brilliant, the rest -meh), but at least I find that there's considerably more songs that range from 'decent' to 'enjoyable' for me than B2B, those awfly Licks songs or ABB!

At the same time, Wandering Spirit bests all post-Bill albums by a long shot.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 23, 2010 11:34

I love this album. Lots of great songs, but of course - if they had cut it down to 10 songs it would have been even better.

Posted by: mjol ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:00

VL will always be special to me. At 15 years of age it was my first serious meeting with the Stones. (Except for some occasional songs on the radio) My first Stones album, and first Stones tour.

If it's better or worse than any of the others from the "modern era" doesn't really matter, it's the Stones. smiling smiley

- mjOL

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:11

mjol
VL will always be special to me. At 15 years of age it was my first serious meeting with the Stones. (Except for some occasional songs on the radio) My first Stones album, and first Stones tour.

If it's better or worse than any of the others from the "modern era" doesn't really matter, it's the Stones. smiling smiley

AMEN to that! smileys with beer

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:15

VL is a below-par rock album with a few good tracks. Might have been better as a CD single. They did spent a lot of money on PR and a glitzy tour to compensate. I guess if you try and dazzle the punters with enough cheap bling, they'll hopefully forget about the lousy music.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:41

I first bought the audio cassette back in 1994. After listening a couple of times I told a friend of mine: "First side top, second side flop".

If the Stones would have shortened it and leave out Jugular, Sweethaets, Brandnew Car and Mean Disposition (even though it wasn't on the cassette but CD) it would have been even better than it is. And I've always liked it.

It's my fav album since of thas last 25 years.

Date: July 23, 2010 15:45

...I loved "Moon is up", a great modern stones-song tongue sticking out smiley. The tour in 1994/95 was my first stones tour... GREAT TIMES spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home