Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The best Stones song (of the late era)
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 11, 2009 08:55

Out Of Control

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:38

Love Is Strong - the version sung by Keith. It's also by far the best of their videos since 81.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:48

Biggest Mistake
Terrifying
Saint of Me
Look What the Cat Dragged in
Out of Tears

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:53

Saint of Me
Low Down
Gun Face
Under the Radar!!!
Jump on Top of Me
The Worst
You Don't Have to Mean It
Out of Tears
Too Tight
It Won't Take Long
Love is Strong
Rough Justice
You Got Me Rocking (I know, I know, everyone is sick of this one, but it is still a good later day rocker!)
Baby Break it Down
Anybody See My Baby?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2009 13:17

Post Steel Wheels?

Love Is Strong
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild
Brand New Car
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me

Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby
Lowdown
Already Over Me
You Don't Have To Mean It
Out Of Control
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

Losing My Touch

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Driving Too Fast
Under The Radar

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: August 11, 2009 13:28

ChefGuevara
A Bigger bang would have been a fantastic album
if it had only 10 tracks :

Rough Justice
It won't take long
Streets of love
Back of my hand
She saw me coming
Oh no, not you again
Laugh, I nearly die
Dangerous Beauty
Look what the cat dragged in
Driving to fast

Can't complain for getting the extra tracks, but I think
this contributted to weakening A Bigger Bang.

That's pretty much what i would choose,although i'd find a place for Under the Radar.The album is so much better with 10 tracks,and this recent obsession with 15/16/17 track albums,and it's not just the stones either,is ridiculous.

My favourite albums are all 8/11 trackers,with the notable exception of Exile,and that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

To answer the original question:Highwire,Under the Radar or How can i Stop

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 11, 2009 13:31

sad sad sad
hold on to your hat
part of love is strong (until backup vocals come in)
music for i go wild (but not the lyrics)
flip the switch (studio, not slow live)
back of my hand

thats it.

Date: August 11, 2009 13:38

How Can I Stop!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2009 14:35

theimposter
Agreed. I think that both Bigger Bang and Voodoo suffered from being top-heavy. Each album could have been great instead of good if some of the filler had been shaved off. If they'd both been about 10 or 11 tracks long they probably would have been stronger overall.

Well, the reason both were 'top heavy' was simply because when each album was released it marked the longest time by far that the band had gone between studio albums (5 years between SW and VL and a ridiculous 8 years between BTB and ABB - and its now four years since THAT release with no signs of a follow up). So they felt obliged to 'pad' the albums out with extra songs, as is often the case in the era of the CD when artists take longer between releases

Simple solution to the 'padding' problem is to make albums more regularly. Four new studio albums in the entire second half of their career as a recording act is an absolutely shite return.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: August 11, 2009 14:58

Out Of Control!!!

Date: August 11, 2009 15:30

<The Don Was Live version is KILLER!>

Why Don Was Live version? What did he do??

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:03

That's what I love about the various media players - we can make the albums better on our own - less on Voodoo (I did include all but one of the B-sides), some off of Stripped but added live B-sides, a little less of Bridges, a few off Bang and there you go - much better albums.

Same with making the others even better - the Sticky tracks on Exile back on Sticky, Soup with the few others, Let It Bleed with some of the other tracks...hell, Aftermath! It's a double album!

Oh and making Majesties a better album by taking all the crap off and turning it into a EP with We Love You and Dandelion makes that album much better ha ha ha ha....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 19:05 by skipstone.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:28

Thru and Trhu
How can I stop
Almost Hear you Sigh

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:37

Bitches Brew
Out Of Control!!!

Hey, what about "It Won't Take Long" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 11, 2009 20:15

Gazza
theimposter
Agreed. I think that both Bigger Bang and Voodoo suffered from being top-heavy. Each album could have been great instead of good if some of the filler had been shaved off. If they'd both been about 10 or 11 tracks long they probably would have been stronger overall.

Well, the reason both were 'top heavy' was simply because when each album was released it marked the longest time by far that the band had gone between studio albums (5 years between SW and VL and a ridiculous 8 years between BTB and ABB - and its now four years since THAT release with no signs of a follow up). So they felt obliged to 'pad' the albums out with extra songs, as is often the case in the era of the CD when artists take longer between releases

Simple solution to the 'padding' problem is to make albums more regularly. Four new studio albums in the entire second half of their career as a recording act is an absolutely shite return.
They are just gearing down on the albums. What's wrong with that? They make great albums, when they want to. That is pure rock and roll to me. I especially like not bowing down to the fanbase. They are the absolute only ones who still manage to be controversial. Not by showing tits or being like in the old times, but by being the complete opposite. People may have liked the old way, but that's peanuts to how they are today. As I said: They are the only ones not taking it up the tailpipe from anyone. Everybody else is, in one way or another. And if they refuse to, they never amount to anything. That just one of the reasons The Stones are unique. But people don't like to think about that, because the truth hurts too much.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: August 11, 2009 22:07

Mixed Emotions
Love is Strong
New Faces
Already Over Me
Out of Control
It won't take long
Laugh, I nearly died
Driving to fast

Three from BB, it was a good album...

Date: August 11, 2009 22:36

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
theimposter

They are just gearing down on the albums. What's wrong with that? They make great albums, when they want to. That is pure rock and roll to me. I especially like not bowing down to the fanbase. They are the absolute only ones who still manage to be controversial. Not by showing tits or being like in the old times, but by being the complete opposite. People may have liked the old way, but that's peanuts to how they are today. As I said: They are the only ones not taking it up the tailpipe from anyone. Everybody else is, in one way or another. And if they refuse to, they never amount to anything. That just one of the reasons The Stones are unique. But people don't like to think about that, because the truth hurts too much.

I've no idea what you're saying, Kent. What does 'gearing down on the albums' mean? Are you suggesting its a good thing that they hardly ever bother making new music? Not sure what you're getting at, because as you well know, I still think the Stones put out fine albums when they get around to making them. If they're good enough, wouldnt you like them to come around more often?

The Stones dont bow to anyone? Did you type that with a straight face? They've kow-towed and whored themselves to corporate sponsors for decades. The Stones are basically Jagger and Cohl's organisation now. When the band's promoter is more of a driving force in their raison d'etre than most of the band (including the guy who is co-writer, co-producer and the supposed 'heart and soul' of the band) then thats a pretty odd definition of what a 'pure rock n roll' band is.

There's a significant difference between following one's own path and 'not bowing to the fanbase' which you seem to 'especially' like. The latter option would suggest a form of masochism. And it isnt true anyway. They DO pander to the 'fanbase'. Its just a wider one than the sort of fans that post on here. If they werent pandering to that fanbase, you'd hear no warhorses,songs being rearranged to the point where they're barely recognisable, and stuff like that. No one can say the Stones dont choose to give 'the masses' what they want. They wouldnt be filling stadiums for decades otherwise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 22:38 by Gazza.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2009 22:40

Rough Justice is one of there's few rock-classics this decade...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 11, 2009 23:46

the stones have made some great stuff in the last 20 years.

my own favourites from the era are as follows.

hold on to your hat.
almost hear you sigh.
continental drift.
highwire.
love is strong.
the worst.
i go wild.
already over me.
gunface.
flip the switch.
you dont have to mean it.
laugh i nearly died.
infamy.
rough justice.
this place is empty.
biggest mistake.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: August 11, 2009 23:57

Out of Tears
Mixed Emotions
For Your Precious Love
Biggest Mistake

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 23:58 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 23:58

Saint Of Me, You Got Me Rocking, Out Of Tears, Almost Hear You Sigh, She Saw Me Coming.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 12, 2009 00:17

Starting in 1989, my favourites are:

Mixed Emotions
Continental Drift
Highwire
The Worst
Might As Well Get Juiced
This Place Is Empty
Laugh I Nearly Died

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: August 12, 2009 00:19

Love is Strong
Back of My Hand

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 12, 2009 01:11

Continental drift
Blinded by rainbows
Out of control
It won't take long
she saw me coming
rough justice
Laugh I nearly died
How can I stop

Date: August 12, 2009 13:11

If you count them up, the most votes go to

Out Of Control - 13
Love Is Strong - 13
Saint Of Me - 12
Laugh I Nearly Died - 10
It Won't Take Long - 9
Rough Justice - 9
Out Of Tears - 8
Continental Drift - 6
How Can I Stop - 6
The Worst - 6
Almost Hear You Sigh- 6
Flip The Switch - 5
Under The Radar - 5
She Saw Me Coming - 5

A bunch of others with less. Surprising that It won't take long is so popular.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2009 13:40

Surprising that It won't take long is so popular.

Not really ....Exile murk ... Hard lyrics...Charlie's rivet-gun drumming ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 12, 2009 14:11

Agreed. terrific song. Pity they never took time to develop it more live.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 12, 2009 14:13

Back Of My Hand, is excellent

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 12, 2009 14:21

I really dig most of b2b, and uhm it won't take long is nice, a pity they played 1-2 times live..

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 12, 2009 14:27

Laugh I Nearly Died (despite the Wandering Spirit/You Got Me Rocking lyrics)
Under the Radar
Love Is Strong
Saint of Me
Out of Control
Continental Drift

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home