Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: DAVID BOWIE working on new material?
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 9, 2009 11:18

Glam Descendant
>There was even talk of a DVD from the 1976 tour.

That would be awesome. I read that Alan Yentob (director of the wonderful CRACKED ACTOR doc. -- when is that going to get a proper DVD release?) filmed some shows. Or was that the '78 tour?

(edited to delete one too many "awesome"s lol)

Cracked Actor was filmed on the 1974 Diamond Dogs tour. There are rumoured to be two filmed concerts. One from the first leg, and one from the Plastic Soul leg, where he ditched the elaborate set and took to playing stuff from Young Americans (clips of which appeared in Cracked Actor).

Date: August 9, 2009 11:20

Nikolai
keefriffhard4life
this thread has me more confussed than ever. talks of contracts expiring and demos and instrumental albums. i know he retired from touring because of his heart condition.

these 30th and 40th anniversary things look cool but then they are hard to get in the states and seem to go out of print really fast

ITunes UK has the Space Oddity 40th anniversary single on sale - mono, stereo mixes, the 1979 re-recording, and then things like backing tracks, vocal only versions, backing vocal only versions.

Have to admit, although I will be buying the SO 40th anniversary edition, I'll probably only play it once. Not my favourite album.

i don't have any of the 3 or 4 special anniversary albums bowie has released. i agree though space oddity is nowhere near my favorite bowie album

Date: August 9, 2009 11:23

whitem8
I hear you Nikolai, a lot of Bowie fans on the forum I post every once in a while don't like Reality. I like it. Not as much as Heathen, but it is a cool tour album. I can see why it came when it did. Fall Dogs Bomb the Moon is a ripper of a track. A great slam against Bush. Also, New Killer Star is pure Low. I really REALLY envy you for seeing him do the entire Low album. I have a cool boot of him doing all of Low then Heathen, and a cool set of assorted tunes for the encore. From a small club in New York when he did the Seven Burroughs Tour of Manhattan.

You know, Whitey, I played those songs from Reality. And I like them quite a lot. I also liked Looking for Water. But, don't you think Heathen and Reality were a bit self-referential?

Date: August 9, 2009 11:47

i missed him on the reality tour....if only i knew then what i know now i would have made sure i went sad smiley

Date: August 9, 2009 12:30

keefriffhard4life
i missed him on the reality tour....if only i knew then what i know now i would have made sure i went sad smiley

Don't want to rub it in, but it was pretty damn good. Saw two shows at Wembley Arena. Did an acoustic version of Loving the Alien, which was breathtaking.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 9, 2009 12:51

I saw Paris gig of reality tour and liked it a lot. I listened to the boot a couple of weeks ago. Not sounding terrific but..a nice souvenir.

I recently bought all the SACD's studios available but was disappointed with the sound. I guess it was not properly transfered or mastered maybe.

I recently read one other major artist (pardon me I do not remember who) claiming that Bowie was retired of the road for sure. I was a bit surprised as I saw none official statement from Jones himself.

Date: August 9, 2009 13:03

i didn't need an official statement to know he retired from the road but thats why i assumed he had to be working on new material

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: August 9, 2009 13:04

See [forum.littleoogie.com]

'I don't think you will see many EMI releases until bowie's 15 year contract expires sometime in 2011 i believe. David and EMI don't get along.'

Date: August 9, 2009 14:05

mark666
See [forum.littleoogie.com]

'I don't think you will see many EMI releases until bowie's 15 year contract expires sometime in 2011 i believe. David and EMI don't get along.'

The relationship was good until the company was acquired by its new owners. Thereafter it hit shitsville. Same happened with The Stones.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 9, 2009 17:00

Nikolai
whitem8
I hear you Nikolai, a lot of Bowie fans on the forum I post every once in a while don't like Reality. I like it. Not as much as Heathen, but it is a cool tour album. I can see why it came when it did. Fall Dogs Bomb the Moon is a ripper of a track. A great slam against Bush. Also, New Killer Star is pure Low. I really REALLY envy you for seeing him do the entire Low album. I have a cool boot of him doing all of Low then Heathen, and a cool set of assorted tunes for the encore. From a small club in New York when he did the Seven Burroughs Tour of Manhattan.

You know, Whitey, I played those songs from Reality. And I like them quite a lot. I also liked Looking for Water. But, don't you think Heathen and Reality were a bit self-referential?

That's cool you gave them a spin and liked them! Even cooler. YEah, I do think those discs are very self referential. I guess thats one thing that attracts me to them. Very much like Low, which was very self reflective. In between refrigerating his urine and drinking milk. And doing tons of coke! But Heathen is a very erie disc and very prescience. I remember listening to an interview after 9/11 and he commented that those songs were written post 9/11, yet when you listen to SLow Burn it is very intense. I think Heathen is the better of the two, and love that he was back with Toney Visticonti. He brings out the best in Bowie.
I also like collecting the CD singles and getting a lot of the stuff that was originally going to be on Toy. I do wish he would finish that up and release it.

Date: August 9, 2009 17:11

whitem8
Nikolai
whitem8

That's cool you gave them a spin and liked them! Even cooler. YEah, I do think those discs are very self referential. I guess thats one thing that attracts me to them. Very much like Low, which was very self reflective. In between refrigerating his urine and drinking milk. And doing tons of coke! But Heathen is a very erie disc and very prescience. I remember listening to an interview after 9/11 and he commented that those songs were written post 9/11, yet when you listen to SLow Burn it is very intense. I think Heathen is the better of the two, and love that he was back with Toney Visticonti. He brings out the best in Bowie.
I also like collecting the CD singles and getting a lot of the stuff that was originally going to be on Toy. I do wish he would finish that up and release it.

Toy was finished and offered to Virgin for a 2000 release (Bowie, at the time, was planning to release an album a year), but they passed on it because a). it was uncommercial and b). Hours sold very badly. Bowie then decamped for ... I was going to say Sony, but it wasn't quite that. He signed a marketing and distribution deal with Sony, as opposed to a contract. The result was Heathen - his biggest and best received album since Scary Monsters. You're right, Heathen is way better than Reality. There was going to be a third album in the sequence, but that didn't happen.

Have you heard the Outside outtakes?

Date: August 9, 2009 17:34

I have only Something Fishy a single disc of out takes. It is ok...I prefer Outside.1 Are there more that I haven't heard?

Date: August 9, 2009 18:08

whitem8
I have only Something Fishy a single disc of out takes. It is ok...I prefer Outside.1 Are there more that I haven't heard?

No, that's all that's leaked out (rumour was it was Bowie himself, but it turned out to be a copy Reeves Gabrels made for a friend). There are some 72 hours of material in the vaults.

It's fascinating stuff, but not exactly essential. Outside is a stunning, stunning album. A Low/Heroes for the 90s. Real shame he didn't complete the hyper-cycle. The projected Contamination was said to have been far darker, a mixture of industral and African music.

The reason for the trilogy being shelves was because the record company was disappointed with Outside's sales. If RCA had been that daft there would have been no Low - and, by extension - no Heroes, Lodger or Scary Monsters.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 9, 2009 21:47

>Cracked Actor was filmed on the 1974 Diamond Dogs tour.

Oh I'm aware of that. What I meant was I read that Yentob filmed a later tour, but I'm not sure if it was '76 or '78. It's mentioned in the Dalton book I believe.

Date: August 9, 2009 22:23

Glam Descendant
>Cracked Actor was filmed on the 1974 Diamond Dogs tour.

Oh I'm aware of that. What I meant was I read that Yentob filmed a later tour, but I'm not sure if it was '76 or '78. It's mentioned in the Dalton book I believe.

Ah .... Probably 78. Station to Station didn't get much coverage, and Bowie was highly controversial at that point, thanks to his coke-fuelled "@#$%& was the first rockstar" comments, the "Nazi salute" (which I'm sure was really a wave) etc etc. Plus, creatively speaking, Station to Station was the tail end of the "Plastic Soul" phase Yentob had already hinted at at the end of Cracked Actor, whereas 78 was another huge stylistic leap for Bowie.

I know David Hemmings filmed one of the Earls Court shows.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 10, 2009 01:29

>Ah .... Probably 78

Now that I think about it, I think you're right and here's why: that Dalton book is essentially a discography; I think the note about Yentob filming some shows was an addendum to the review of STAGE. What I wonder is, was this the footage that circulates in bootleg form with Japanese subtitles running down the side of the screen? I've not seen it, just read about it but it would make sense. Maybe it aired on Japanese TV?

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 10, 2009 04:36

Nikolai
whitem8
He could - technically - wait until the U2/Stones/Roxy Music tours are over and launch the mother of all live comebacks. quote]

What have you heard about a Roxy Music tour !?!?

Date: August 10, 2009 08:07

got the cd/dvd young americans special edition today. i don't have surround sound or anything so other than the live performances and interview the dvd is not much to me. nice to have bonus tracks on it though

Date: August 10, 2009 10:45

Glam Descendant
>Ah .... Probably 78

Now that I think about it, I think you're right and here's why: that Dalton book is essentially a discography; I think the note about Yentob filming some shows was an addendum to the review of STAGE. What I wonder is, was this the footage that circulates in bootleg form with Japanese subtitles running down the side of the screen? I've not seen it, just read about it but it would make sense. Maybe it aired on Japanese TV?

Yes, that's from an incomplete Japanese tv broadcast, later used to make a so-so bootleg.

Date: August 10, 2009 10:52

Duane in Houston
Nikolai
whitem8
He could - technically - wait until the U2/Stones/Roxy Music tours are over and launch the mother of all live comebacks. quote]

What have you heard about a Roxy Music tour !?!?

I've heard this: Roxy Music are close to signing a one-off deal to release their recently completed new album (with Eno on some of the songs). It should be out next year and will be supported by a world tour, possibly kicking off in the US. There's a documentary DVD about the band out in October - "More Than This: The Story of Roxy Music". Don't expect any major revelations on it though - they all get on very well, a bit like Genesis do.

I'm personally looking forward to the tour. I've seen Roxy seven times - in the early 80s and on their reunion tour - and they're superb live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-10 14:11 by Nikolai.

Posted by: imonlysleeping ()
Date: August 10, 2009 14:23

Will there ever be an official release of the Serious Moonlight tour? I do have the Montreal bootleg (released by The Swinging Pig), but an official one would be great. I saw him in Rotterdam during that tour and it was one of, if not the, best concerts I have been at.

Date: August 10, 2009 15:56

imonlysleeping
Will there ever be an official release of the Serious Moonlight tour? I do have the Montreal bootleg (released by The Swinging Pig), but an official one would be great. I saw him in Rotterdam during that tour and it was one of, if not the, best concerts I have been at.

Serious Moonlight from Montreal and Glass Spider are both available on DVD. Glass Spider included the full show on CD too. The DVDs are great quality, properly remastered. Obviously, whether you get them or not is down to your personal preference. I saw both tours in the UK - Serious Moonlight at Wembley Arena and Milton Keynes (both great shows, with Wembley the best of the two) and Glass Spider at Wembley Stadium. The latter was - urm - terrible. It was windy for a start, so the sound sucked. Then there was all that ridiculous dancing and acting (HA!) on stage. The whole thing was overblown to the point of parody. It's a shame, because the setlist was interesting. I completely understood him stripping everything back for Tin Machine (underrated albums, those - especially the first one).

Date: August 10, 2009 17:38

Nikolai once again agree totally with you. I went to two Serious Moonlight shows at Joe Louis arena in Detroit and I was captivated. I was younger then too. Then Glass Spider at the Pontiac Silverdome, and giant nasty football stadium and Bowie was all infected by the cheese of the 80s. A few cool nuggets he rendered as smaltz. All the Madmen finally live!! But not great. Low on the guitar and high on the cheesy keys. Sad. I saw him four nights for the Sound and Vision tour. It was sublime! Just Adrian Belew, drums, bass and bowie. AMAZING! My favorite so far though was Reality in Singapore and I was lucky enough to chat with him....another story....

Date: August 10, 2009 17:57

whitem8
Nikolai once again agree totally with you. I went to two Serious Moonlight shows at Joe Louis arena in Detroit and I was captivated. I was younger then too. Then Glass Spider at the Pontiac Silverdome, and giant nasty football stadium and Bowie was all infected by the cheese of the 80s. A few cool nuggets he rendered as smaltz. All the Madmen finally live!! But not great. Low on the guitar and high on the cheesy keys. Sad. I saw him four nights for the Sound and Vision tour. It was sublime! Just Adrian Belew, drums, bass and bowie. AMAZING! My favorite so far though was Reality in Singapore and I was lucky enough to chat with him....another story....

DO tell ...

The Sound & Vision tour is hugely underrated and atrociously documented. No DVD, no album. We have bootlegs galore, but still ... If he saw fit to release the Glass Spider atrocity, then why not Sound & Vision.

Nothing from Outside either. The American leg was spectacular. Nine Inch Nails supporting (I wasn't and still am not a fan of theirs at all, but the segue between their set and Bowie's is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen). The British leg was different, setlist wise, and also because of the support. Morrissey (who's released Southpaw Grammar - his last great album to date) refused to allow Bowie to duet with him. A real pity, given Moz's avowed debt to Bowie. Both the US and UK dates I saw had the same effect on the audience: bewilderment at the new material, belated recognition of reworked oldies, plenty of people drifting home 2/3rds of the way through moaning that he hadn't played any of his "classics" like China Girl and Let's Dance. Very funny, in a way, totally sad in another. That said, when I saw him in New Jersey, Outside hadn't even been released. Bowie actually got booed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-10 17:59 by Nikolai.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 10, 2009 18:05

i saw him live in 2003 and it was absolutely amazing. one of the best gigs in my live. fantastic setlist, great musicians and bowies performance was out of this world! it was all about the music and performed with so much joy and energy. it was just sooo to the point!

Date: August 10, 2009 20:22

Anyone here like Tin Machine ....?

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 00:34

I loved the man. Still do.

Put on Young Americans or Station to Station and I will throw out a slick move and a big smile upon my face... grinning smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 00:58

I saw him twice on the Reality tour. In an arena in Toronto and a 3,200 seat theatre in Buffalo. The Reality record was great (and I will get booed for this, but better than anything from the Stones in a long time - taken as a complete record). Live, he and his band smoked....played hits, rare tracks and were unafraid to play recent material and several songs off Reality. I wish the Stones would put out something they were confident enough in to play more than a couple of songs from per show.

Date: August 11, 2009 01:05

DiamondDog7
I loved the man. Still do.

Put on Young Americans or Station to Station and I will throw out a slick move and a big smile upon my face... grinning smiley

Just tell me you dance better than he did on Soul Train ...grinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2009 01:08

buffalo7478
I saw him twice on the Reality tour. In an arena in Toronto and a 3,200 seat theatre in Buffalo. The Reality record was great (and I will get booed for this, but better than anything from the Stones in a long time - taken as a complete record). Live, he and his band smoked....played hits, rare tracks and were unafraid to play recent material and several songs off Reality. I wish the Stones would put out something they were confident enough in to play more than a couple of songs from per show.

You see the Outside tour? That was new material and NO hits (well, apart from Under Pressure) - songs he hadn't played live before (Teenage Wildlife - brilliant - Boys Keep Swinging), and radically reworked versions of old ones (The Man Who Sold The World as trip hop). A mind-blower.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home