Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live Licks Not So Bad Shock!!
Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 6, 2009 21:53

I really dig Rocks Off/Cant you hear me... on this, rhythmn guitars and vocals are most fine.

Please forgive me been mighty long gooooneeeeee smiling smiley

Re: Live Licks Not So Bad Shock!!
Posted by: olorin ()
Date: August 6, 2009 22:08

When you don't how deep this record is overdubbed, it is a good one.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 6, 2009 22:34

hah, ya-ya's overdubbed 10 times more... so what...
a cool live record.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 6, 2009 22:49

Amused
hah, ya-ya's overdubbed 10 times more... so what...
a cool live record.

Yeah right,whatever it takes to make a good record. Dub away. I don't mind LL so much myself either.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 6, 2009 23:35

Hate it! can't stand the edit of 'the sunshine bores the daylights out of me', my favorite line of the song. Please don't get me wrong, one of my favorite songs too but this sloppy edit RUINS it for me.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: August 6, 2009 23:46

Has the reissue come out yet?

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: August 7, 2009 00:31

nankerphlege
Has the reissue come out yet?

Please cool it with all that reissue LL is just a few years old !

Here in Denmark the album is really nice price only 6,5 euro in TP smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 7, 2009 00:49

Worth it for the version of CYHMK alone! Also, Bob Clearmountain nailed the mix. But, alas, the butchered edits on several songs ruin it as a whole. I burned a decent "best of" on one disc that I give a spin every now and then.

Ross

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 7, 2009 02:17

Always found LL not that bad!

In fact I still play it now and then. Only problem are the edits on B. Sugar and especially Rocks off! It really ruines an otherwise nice version.

Still wait for some interviewer to ask Mick or Keith who was responsible for this!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 7, 2009 02:33

The version of Rocks Off is from the Twickenham show on the Flicks DVD.
I was at this gig and what happened was Charlie came in on the back beat after the "Feel so hypnotized" bit and screwed the song up for a while.
On the DVD they seem to have fixed this somehow and the drum track has been corrected.

I have no idea why they didnt use the DVD mix for the CD rather than editing out the mistake. If a little more thought had gone into this CD, they could've found an altogether different performace of Rocks off from another show.

2 Other "Corrections" on the Twickenham DVD.

"Wild Horses" Ronnie duffed a note during the solo and this has been fixed on the DVD. If you watch carfeully you see his finger move but the note doesnt change.

"Tumbling Dice" Jagger sang the opening virse way too early and completely messed it up. Fixed for the DVD and no close up of Jagger singing during that part.

If anyone has the audience tape from the Twickenham show, maybe they could upload it so geeks like me could play spot the difference. lol

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 7, 2009 02:51

You said it:

It's ok/ fixed on the DVD, - and they could have used another version.

So it's still a mystery why this happened . .

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 7, 2009 06:17

Aside from Rocks off debacle, a great disc!
As was stated above, worth it just for CYHMK!!! And the version of Monkey Man on there is fantastic!!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 7, 2009 06:49

Neighbours kicks ass on that record.
I love it too, I only listen to disc two though.
Can't you hear me knocking is great but unfortunately Ronnies solo is so sloppy.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Rubicon ()
Date: August 7, 2009 08:44

Some songs are great, however Honky Tonk Women is weak,
Does not have the grunt of earlier live versions of HTW.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2009 08:53

YEAH as Wuudy says Neighbours kicks ass ....

Included it once on a comp of stuff for a gentleman I know who's inta the Stones
Some days later he dialled ta ask where it was from ....Poor chappie couldn't believe it was from Live Licks.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 7, 2009 09:14

Too bad it is overshadowed by 4 Flicks. CD1 is so IN YOUR FACE. CD2 is naturally more attractive to us as fans and gives you the impression of "We can continue to slay you with our arsenal of hits for many CD's"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 7, 2009 09:26

I like disc 2 the best, for obvious reasons. However, the version of Brown Sugar is the best live album release but the editing - which isn't terrible - is odd. The beginning is shortened tremendously but the ending is allowed to go on forever.

Honky Tonk is terrible. Start Me Up and IORR - borrrrrrring.

Rocks Off edit - as I've said in other Live Licks threads, The Worst Edit In The History Of Rock.

The DVD fixes could be a couple of things - flown in tracks from other shows or...overdubs. The MSG Street Fighting Man is fixed - Keith, on the live version, screwed up a good bum note going into the first 'poor boy' bit. Hilarious. When I got the DVD and played it (a superb version of SFM by the way) I was stunned!

I've asked all over the place but have never gotten a response - the 1994 Voodoo Lounge live DVD - Keith's solo in SFTD. Live he totally destroyed it, just awful. He went out of key and nobody noticed on stage. I still watch the tape to this day and laugh my ass off. Is it like that on the DVD or did the edit it out or fix it? I've never been able to find it on youtube. He was on the way back to the main part of the stage having walked out the catwalk when he bombed the key.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: August 7, 2009 11:35

Is it only me or are they 2 open g guitars in Knocking?

C

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: August 7, 2009 11:37

I think Keiths ryhtmn guitar makes up for the dodo edit on Rocks Off, but the edit really is a disgrace for a world class band

Date: August 7, 2009 12:08

Two open G-guitars on CYHMK grinning smiley Pierre and Keith?

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 7, 2009 13:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-07 13:30 by midnrambler.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 8, 2009 16:34

whitem8
Aside from Rocks off debacle, a great disc!
As was stated above, worth it just for CYHMK!!! And the version of Monkey Man on there is fantastic!!!

What whitem8 said.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: August 8, 2009 17:29

In my humblest of humble opinions, it's terrible!

Quality control could not have been on their minds as they went about screwing yet more pennies out of what is essentially an audio version of the DVD.

...the Stones' recording legacy took one helluva bashing with this release.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 8, 2009 18:50

skipstone
I like disc 2 the best, for obvious reasons. However, the version of Brown Sugar is the best live album release but the editing - which isn't terrible - is odd. The beginning is shortened tremendously but the ending is allowed to go on forever.

Honky Tonk is terrible. Start Me Up and IORR - borrrrrrring.

Rocks Off edit - as I've said in other Live Licks threads, The Worst Edit In The History Of Rock.

The DVD fixes could be a couple of things - flown in tracks from other shows or...overdubs. The MSG Street Fighting Man is fixed - Keith, on the live version, screwed up a good bum note going into the first 'poor boy' bit. Hilarious. When I got the DVD and played it (a superb version of SFM by the way) I was stunned!

I've asked all over the place but have never gotten a response - the 1994 Voodoo Lounge live DVD - Keith's solo in SFTD. Live he totally destroyed it, just awful. He went out of key and nobody noticed on stage. I still watch the tape to this day and laugh my ass off. Is it like that on the DVD or did the edit it out or fix it? I've never been able to find it on youtube. He was on the way back to the main part of the stage having walked out the catwalk when he bombed the key.

I'd have to dig out the video to confirm,but I don't think they actually "fixed" Keith's off-key solo on SFTD ,they just turned him down and everthing else up !
I think he must have been away from a monitor when he started going off key and maybe couldn't hear himself very well. He was generally on top form on the Voodoo Tour.

sc uk

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 8, 2009 18:56

Yep the edit in Rocks Off is truly amazing. All this effort in editing, overdubbing and mixing to make a decent record and then this goofy edit.... How could anyone involved in the production have allowed that to be released?

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 8, 2009 19:45

Well, my take is that it's absolutely worth owning for killer versions of "Monkey Man", "That's How STrong My Love Is", and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking." Regarding the latter, I have compared it to the audience boot of the Wiiltern show it was taken from and was surprised to hear very few overdubs/fixes. One does stand out though - the 2nd guitar doesn't quite match up. While Ronnie is barely hear playing on the Wiltern boot, there is a sharp and clear second guitar on the LL cd (My guess is Pierre overdubbed). The versions of "Gimme Shelter", "Start Me Up" and "Satisfaction" are all good but equal or better versions can be found on "No Security or Shine A Light.

Now for the bad - the infamous butchering of 'Rocks Off'. First off, it wasn't the best performance is this song to begin with, but to cut out the songs's climax, and in such a sloppy way, is unforgivable. Then there's "Brown Sugar" - for reasons I cannot understand the intro and outros were cut short, and the final chorus was omitted altogether. WHY? And an obviously overdubbed Mick vocal arguably taints what is an otherwise rocking version of "Street Fighting Man".

This could be the band's single most frustrating album. It has moments of absolute greatness that, with a little more care and some more moments like those, could have resulted in their best live album ever. Unfortunately, these moments of greatness are hampered by offensively shoddy editing, and questionable track selection (we get "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" and "You Don't Have To Mean It" but no "Bitch", "Let It Bleed", or "Stray Cat Blues"? Hell I'd have rather had "Love Train" than "Nearness of You".)

One more good thing about the record - excellent mixing by Bob Clearmountain. It had the ballsiest, in-your-face guitar mix since 'Ya-yas'.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: August 8, 2009 20:04

The unedited Brown Sugar and Rocks Off are available on Four Flicks.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 8, 2009 20:06

Good post, imposter

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 8, 2009 20:23

"Worth it for the version of CYHMK alone"

Eh, The solo's on this version are dreadful.

Far better else where.

Terrible album as are nearly all Stones live CD's (recently). Many better (un-editied boots) version....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 8, 2009 20:49

Britney
Yep the edit in Rocks Off is truly amazing. All this effort in editing, overdubbing and mixing to make a decent record and then this goofy edit.... How could anyone involved in the production have allowed that to be released?

Simple. No one in the band or the team involved in assembling it listened to it before allowing it for release.

Speaks volumes for the quality control and pride in one's art, doesnt it?

A couple of months before the album came out, a track listing was made available consisting of something like 32-33 songs. That would have been about 5-6 songs too many to fit onto two discs, so it gives you an idea of how heavily edited these tracks were for release. In the end, the released album runs for something like 109 minutes - so they had about 50 minutes of free space that they chose not to use. Instead of using the unedited versions of the songs to fill space on the discs, they appear to have just went with the edits that were done for the original track selection.

Some fine performances on Live Licks - Four Flicks is, to me, the best Stones release of any kind since 1981 and obviously many of the performances are the same ones that are on both releases - but the haphazard and slapdash way in which the project was executed (not to mention the pointlessness of putting it out a full year after the tour ended and Four Flicks was released) makes it probably the most amateurish release of their career.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home