Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: ABCKO and the Stones 60s vaults
Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: August 6, 2009 14:57

thkbeercan
Mr. Giorgi, however, was not the president of the firm nor was he the dealmaker with ABKCO. But he was head of engineering (or something to that effect). He obviously did not tell his staff what was up with the Stones masters, but that doesn't surprise me, as there was more drama at that company than on a daytime soap opera. All of my information was obtained from the head of licensing, the former head of sales (my predecessor) and the company president himself.

Thanks.

thkbeercan
As far as the stereo tracks and other questions about what might be missing from the lists I have, all I can say is that MFSL was only looking for LP masters for the 11 albums which were going to be included in our boxed set. Thus, multitracks, masters of singles, dupe tapes, copy tapes, etc, were of no interest to us. It is entirely possible that other lists of tapes in ABKCO's possession were not provided to us. As I stated earlier, during this whole process, the tapes for "Rock And Roll Circus" were brought to MFSL for sonic evaluation. These were never part of the plan for the audiophile LP set-and they appear nowhere on the 21 page list printed above. Yet ABKCO clearly had them in their possession. Go figure...

Right...I wouldn't expect all of that, but MFSL did do transfers of those 3 first time stereo tracks: Play With Fire, Satisfaction and Get Off Of My Cloud. For years we've been trying to figure out where those came from. They must have been in the boxes MFSL had at the time, but nothing on the 21 pages jumps out.

Re: ABKCO and the Stones 60s vaults
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 6, 2009 19:07

I would like to help the guy who's requested a deep-in look at he genesis of 'Metamorphosis', but I'm not able to attach a .pdf file to this message.
Can any of you let me know how can I do.
Thanks a lot,

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: August 6, 2009 22:26

lukpac
thkbeercan
Mr. Giorgi, however, was not the president of the firm nor was he the dealmaker with ABKCO. But he was head of engineering (or something to that effect). He obviously did not tell his staff what was up with the Stones masters, but that doesn't surprise me, as there was more drama at that company than on a daytime soap opera. All of my information was obtained from the head of licensing, the former head of sales (my predecessor) and the company president himself.

Thanks.

thkbeercan
As far as the stereo tracks and other questions about what might be missing from the lists I have, all I can say is that MFSL was only looking for LP masters for the 11 albums which were going to be included in our boxed set. Thus, multitracks, masters of singles, dupe tapes, copy tapes, etc, were of no interest to us. It is entirely possible that other lists of tapes in ABKCO's possession were not provided to us. As I stated earlier, during this whole process, the tapes for "Rock And Roll Circus" were brought to MFSL for sonic evaluation. These were never part of the plan for the audiophile LP set-and they appear nowhere on the 21 page list printed above. Yet ABKCO clearly had them in their possession. Go figure...

Right...I wouldn't expect all of that, but MFSL did do transfers of those 3 first time stereo tracks: Play With Fire, Satisfaction and Get Off Of My Cloud. For years we've been trying to figure out where those came from. They must have been in the boxes MFSL had at the time, but nothing on the 21 pages jumps out.

As a longtime Stones fan, I was delighted to hear the test pressings of the LP's in our boxed set as soon as I could. Naturally, when I heard the stereo version of "Get Off Of My Cloud" on the Hot Rocks disc for the very first time, I was blown away.
Not only had I never heard the stereo version before, I had no idea that MFSL had used it on the LP..there had been no discussion or publicity about this.
Months later, I heard from a Stones fan about the stereo version of "Satisfaction" that was on the newly released European import of Hot Rocks, so naturally, I bought one. I was surprised to see the notation on the back "mastered by Mobile Fidelty Sound" (missing the word "lab") and called the licensing director to inquire about this. It was only then that I learned that MFSL had indeed done the digital mastering, and had used some stereo versions per ABKCO's direction. When I asked why MFSL had not used those same stereo versions for our own boxed set, I was told that we had access to the tapes, but ABKCO had denied permission to use the stereo versions. When I asked how it was possible the we used the stereo version of "Get Off Of My Cloud" but not the other two I was told that this had been used "by accident" and ABKCO was "not happy about it"....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-06 23:48 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 6, 2009 22:55

1963luca0
I would like to help the guy who's requested a deep-in look at he genesis of 'Metamorphosis', but I'm not able to attach a .pdf file to this message.
Can any of you let me know how can I do.
Thanks a lot,

Upload the PDF file to a free webhoster like [www.gigasize.com] then post a link here in your next message.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 6, 2009 23:33

So many opinions about this and that.....
Release it for the $$$$$. And as a small by-product serious fans win with the an opened vault.

Date: August 7, 2009 00:26

regarding the Hot Rocks issue of previously unheard stereo versions...I need to clarify something:

When MFSL did an audiophile LP, we insisted on using 'original masters'. In our definition of that phrase, we meant the original 2 track stereo tape which was directly mixed down from multitrack and handed over to the record company by the artist. Generally the record company would immediately make a 'production master' copy from that master tape to use for cutting records, and safeguard the master in a vault...it was a one of a kind item and the closest source to the original sessions as the artist and/or producer wanted the music to sound. Seldom were original masters used by ordinary record companies, since the sonic superiority of this source tape would not be noticed on ordinary record players-a high fidelity component system would, but not your average teenager's 'record player' from the 1960's....
Anyway, when it came to "Hot Rocks" we naturally did not have an original master to work with, since the Stones never went into the studio to record an album called "Hot Rocks". So in this case, we did have to use the masters for the various singles and splice together a one-of-a-kind master for this. Stereo tapes of certain songs, like "Satisfaction" were available, but according to my sources within the company, MFSL was directed to use mono masters for "Satisfaction", "Play With Fire" and "Get Off Of My Cloud". We spliced "Midnight Rambler" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from the "Let It "Bleed " master, did similar for the tracks from "Beggar's Banquet" and, in fact, cut out the tracks "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" from the "Sticky Fingers" master tape to assemble this Audiophile master of "Hot Rocks". When finished, these LP tracks were carefully spliced back onto the original album masters.
Since the digital mastering of these various recordings for ABKCO's use in CD manufacturing was apparently a 'secret' known by only a few within the company, the exact steps and procedures used to CHANGE the mono versions of "Satisfaction" and "Play With Fire" on the MFSL "Hot Rocks" master to stereo versions for a digital version for ABKCO's use is unknown and will probably remain that way. Mr. Giorgi has been dead some 25 years and the company's president at the time has been dead for a number of years as well. Allen Klein ain't talking either...

Date: August 7, 2009 01:11

thkbeercan
regarding the Hot Rocks issue of previously unheard stereo versions...I need to clarify something:

When MFSL did an audiophile LP, we insisted on using 'original masters'. In our definition of that phrase, we meant the original 2 track stereo tape which was directly mixed down from multitrack and handed over to the record company by the artist. Generally the record company would immediately make a 'production master' copy from that master tape to use for cutting records, and safeguard the master in a vault...it was a one of a kind item and the closest source to the original sessions as the artist and/or producer wanted the music to sound. Seldom were original masters used by ordinary record companies, since the sonic superiority of this source tape would not be noticed on ordinary record players-a high fidelity component system would, but not your average teenager's 'record player' from the 1960's....
Anyway, when it came to "Hot Rocks" we naturally did not have an original master to work with, since the Stones never went into the studio to record an album called "Hot Rocks". So in this case, we did have to use the masters for the various singles and splice together a one-of-a-kind master for this. Stereo tapes of certain songs, like "Satisfaction" were available, but according to my sources within the company, MFSL was directed to use mono masters for "Satisfaction", "Play With Fire" and "Get Off Of My Cloud". We spliced "Midnight Rambler" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from the "Let It "Bleed " master, did similar for the tracks from "Beggar's Banquet" and, in fact, cut out the tracks "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses" from the "Sticky Fingers" master tape to assemble this Audiophile master of "Hot Rocks". When finished, these LP tracks were carefully spliced back onto the original album masters.
Since the digital mastering of these various recordings for ABKCO's use in CD manufacturing was apparently a 'secret' known by only a few within the company, the exact steps and procedures used to CHANGE the mono versions of "Satisfaction" and "Play With Fire" on the MFSL "Hot Rocks" master to stereo versions for a digital version for ABKCO's use is unknown and will probably remain that way. Mr. Giorgi has been dead some 25 years and the company's president at the time has been dead for a number of years as well. Allen Klein ain't talking either...

What I would have expected, but thanks.

Thinking about this some more, I'm also surprised that Time Is On My Side and Heart of Stone made it out in stereo on the London CD (anyone know if they are in stereo on the MFSL LPs?). To my knowledge, while both had been issued in stereo in the UK and elsewhere, they hadn't been in the US; the Hot Rocks LPs set certainly had them in mono. Nothing jumped out at me on the list either.

Now, I'm aware that ABKCO apparently put together (copy?) masters for an LP in the early '70s that contained stereo mixes of The Last Time, 19th Nervous Breakdown and Have You Seen Your Mother, along with Satisfaction and Get Off of My Cloud (but *not* Play With Fire), yet those tapes aren't listed.

Date: August 7, 2009 02:28

WEll, the MFSL Hot Rocks was stereo, except for Satisfaction, Play With Fire, As Tears Go By and 19th Nervous Breakdown. My guess is that since "Time" and "Heart of Stone" were available elsewhere in the world, it was not a big deal for ABKCO to allow their use on this audiophile Hot Rocks. When it came to using stereo versions of "Satisfaction", "Play With Fire" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" ABKCO said 'no'.
Mind you, the MFSL engineers were not necessarily Stones fans...they just worked with whatever masters seemed appropriate and were allowed. If left up to our engineers, those songs which appeared on the ordinary Hot Rocks in mono would have remained in mono on our version. The engineers may have heard both mono and stereo versions and opted for the stereo if they sounded better OR perhaps someone else at MFSL stepped in and said 'use stereo wherever possible"...

Date: August 7, 2009 02:41

thkbeercan
WEll, the MFSL Hot Rocks was stereo, except for Satisfaction, Play With Fire, As Tears Go By and 19th Nervous Breakdown. My guess is that since "Time" and "Heart of Stone" were available elsewhere in the world, it was not a big deal for ABKCO to allow their use on this audiophile Hot Rocks. When it came to using stereo versions of "Satisfaction", "Play With Fire" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" ABKCO said 'no'.

Right...I'm just trying to figure out which tapes actually had those songs in stereo smiling smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 7, 2009 08:31

lukpac
Right...I'm just trying to figure out which tapes actually had those songs in stereo smiling smiley

Page 21 BOX RS08 -GREATEST HITS-RCA MASTER

This one stands out to ME for 2 reasons:
1. It is the only page that references RCA or any studio for that matter. It also refers to "GREATEST HITS" which is what you were metioning before in an earlier post you made.
2. The songs in question Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, Play With Fire, 19th Nervous Breakdown, The Last Time are RCA recordings made in 65.

Time Is On My Side was at Chess so it's Stereo origins are not questioned.
Heart of Stone was recorded at an earlier RCA session and had been in stereo released before.
Have U Seen Your Mother was at a later RCA session that included quite a few songs in Stereo on Between The Buttons and Flowers. Why it's separation sucks so bad it's may as well be mono is a mystery to me.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: August 7, 2009 11:37

Maybe a little off-topic, but how come all Stones 2002 remasters are labelled Stereo even if everyone knows that most of the first 5 albums are in mono only, with the exception for a few tracks?At least the first album will never be heard in Stereo since it was recorded on very primitive (even for those days) equipment. The US London LP's were also released in stereo, but they had the good taste to add "electronically reprocessed for Stereo", but Decca in UK released "Out of our heads" in both Stereo (without an explanation) and Mono, even though they were both in Mono? Anyone who understands this?

I wonder what the reason is not to release everything possible in true Stereo? Even if there are no stereo master tapes available for all songs, those can be created from session tapes that must be around somewhere.

Why

Mats

Date: August 7, 2009 16:51

nick
Page 21 BOX RS08 -GREATEST HITS-RCA MASTER

This one stands out to ME for 2 reasons:
1. It is the only page that references RCA or any studio for that matter. It also refers to "GREATEST HITS" which is what you were metioning before in an earlier post you made.
2. The songs in question Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, Play With Fire, 19th Nervous Breakdown, The Last Time are RCA recordings made in 65.

Time Is On My Side was at Chess so it's Stereo origins are not questioned.
Heart of Stone was recorded at an earlier RCA session and had been in stereo released before.
Have U Seen Your Mother was at a later RCA session that included quite a few songs in Stereo on Between The Buttons and Flowers. Why it's separation sucks so bad it's may as well be mono is a mystery to me.

I don't have a copy of that Greatest Hits LP set, but I've seen it, and I believe it was released in association with RCA Records. So the "RCA" doesn't have anything to do with the studio the tracks were recorded at, but rather the label it was released on.

Have You Seen Your Mother has never been released in stereo. The stereo mix *has* shown up unofficially, but it has not yet been on an official release. Previous LP versions were fake stereo.

I'm aware that Time Is On My Side and Heart of Stone had been released in stereo overseas, but I don't believe either had been released by London/ABKCO in stereo, and nothing about any of the tapes listed jumps out at me to indicate they would be in stereo.

That said, it is odd that "HOT ROCKS MASTER" has 6 tapes associated with it, and "MORE HOT ROCKS MASTER" has 7 tapes associated with it.

Matt
Maybe a little off-topic, but how come all Stones 2002 remasters are labelled Stereo even if everyone knows that most of the first 5 albums are in mono only, with the exception for a few tracks?At least the first album will never be heard in Stereo since it was recorded on very primitive (even for those days) equipment. The US London LP's were also released in stereo, but they had the good taste to add "electronically reprocessed for Stereo", but Decca in UK released "Out of our heads" in both Stereo (without an explanation) and Mono, even though they were both in Mono? Anyone who understands this?

The "stereo" on the SACDs simply denotes the format. I.e., *not* 5.1. While many of the recordings are mono, they are still stored in two channels on CD/SACD.

Matt
I wonder what the reason is not to release everything possible in true Stereo? Even if there are no stereo master tapes available for all songs, those can be created from session tapes that must be around somewhere.

Speculation, but it seems to be a combination of few stereo masters being available, and not wanting to go back to the session tapes to remix*. Despite existing stereo mixes being available, ABKCO only used the mono mixes for the following songs on SACD: Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, The Last Time, Play With Fire, Satisfaction, Get Off Of My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby. Why none of those were used is unclear. I'm also not sure why remixes were out of the question, as ABKCO did do that with their Sam Cooke releases. Perhaps it posed a contractual problem?

* Despite what the press said at the time, the stereo mix of Satisfaction on the SACDs sure sounds like a new stereo mix to me. I can't believe it would have been mixed that way back in the day.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 7, 2009 17:35

Regarding ABCKO owning the Stones 60s output, what would happen if they wanted to put out a rarities and outakes box set with some of the Let It Bleed sessions material that later ended up on Exile such as All Down The Line and Loving Cup. Who would have the last say on that?

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 7, 2009 18:27

For my, this is the post of the year. I will spend the weekend studying the list carefully smiling smiley comparing it with my books and records.

Thanks!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 7, 2009 22:52

Wow!!
What a thread!
Especially great to see those track sheets (or what they´re called); they seem to confirm a lot of the bootleg titles, and also the recording date/year (1969-1970) of some "Exile" songs.
Thanks to all involved!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 7, 2009 23:22

Does anyone have any information about the following?: (apart from what´s been said previously in this tread)

When Old Glory Comes Storming (5.50)
Red House (11.30)
I´ll Be Home (2.29)
Go On Home (=Go Home Girl??)
Brian Jones "That Record" (=Joujouka??)
Power Cut
Too Far To Walk
Thief For The Blues
Aftermath (3.14) /Is this really the same as Mr Spector And Mr Pitney Came Too, as on the "Necrophilia" bootlegs?
Go(o)dzi (1.32)
Panama Powder Room (3.12)
Curtis Meets Smokey

Posted by: LFSDoc ()
Date: August 7, 2009 23:55

very interesting thread indeed.
sheet N°5, tape 17 entitled "Mono Roughs", apart from the slightly different order, should be the same as track 1 to 9 on both Bad Wizard's Time Trip Vol. 5, and Rattlesnake's "Key To The Highway".
Doc

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 8, 2009 01:55

lukpac
I don't have a copy of that Greatest Hits LP set, but I've seen it, and I believe it was released in association with RCA Records. So the "RCA" doesn't have anything to do with the studio the tracks were recorded at, but rather the label it was released on.

Crap, I was hoping for some headway.

lukpac
Have You Seen Your Mother has never been released in stereo. The stereo mix *has* shown up unofficially, but it has not yet been on an official release. Previous LP versions were fake stereo.

Whoa, LOL I read what I wrote. On my website I have that song as 1 of the 3 remaining songs never released in stereo and 1 of 4 not to appear on CD in stereo. (That post was at 2 or 3am and I did wake up late for work today so, if u can let me slide, I thank yousmiling smiley

lukpac
I'm aware that Time Is On My Side and Heart of Stone had been released in stereo overseas, but I don't believe either had been released by London/ABKCO in stereo, and nothing about any of the tapes listed jumps out at me to indicate they would be in stereo.

Never questioned your knowledge in fact I'm the one with a question:
I know Everbody Needs Somebody Long is only in stereo on Decca's Rock'n'Rolling Stones LP but the Short version was always mono right?

Date: August 8, 2009 03:25

nick
Never questioned your knowledge in fact I'm the one with a question:
I know Everbody Needs Somebody Long is only in stereo on Decca's Rock'n'Rolling Stones LP but the Short version was always mono right?

The long one is in stereo on a few LPs, FWIW.

I'm only aware of mono for the short one. That was probably done in the UK at Regent, so mono is all we'll ever have.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 8, 2009 16:25

Thank you kindly, thkbeercan
Your scans are changing some things: take a look at the ***Latest news (Group and Solo) Updated: ***2009-08-06 in:
[aeppli.ch]

Date: May 29, 2011 06:42

thkbeercan

Following up on this, a few years later...hopefully thkbeercan catches this...

You mentioned the two Sticky Fingers tracks. I know MFSL did an LP of that album, but it wasn't an ABKCO LP, and thus wasn't part of the box. Did it just happen that the masters were in-house at the time of the ABKCO box? Did you request that tape specifically from the Stones? Or were those two tracks in fact taken from another tape?

Also, of course, Midnight Rambler wouldn't have been taken from Let It Bleed, as Hot Rocks uses the live take from Ya-Yas.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 29, 2011 16:36

Thanks for reviving this, lukpac. This remains one of the best threads ever at IORR.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 29, 2011 17:40

Whatever the case may be all three parties ABKCO, The Stones and the BBC are missing a great opportunity!

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: May 30, 2011 01:44

This is a great thread.

When I purchased the Rolling Stones Mobile Fidelity box set back in the 80s, I remember listening to all the albums and reading the book that went with it. In the booklet it said something to the effect that you are hearing the albums the way they were actually recorded from the original master tapes. In the booklet either Ron Malo of Chess Studios or Dave Hassinger of RCA Studios is quoted as saying everything he recorded with the Stones was in stereo (everything recorded at Chess and RCA were in stereo). But yet when you listened to the early albums like 12 x 5 and Out Of Our Heads (mostly RCA and Chess sessions) they were still in mono. I called up Mobile Fidelity and spoke with some guy who worked on the box set and asked him "Why aren't 12 x 5 and Out Of Our Heads in stereo?", he told me that ABKCO told them to keep everything in mono, and then he told me a lot of people who bought the box set were calling them up asking the same question I was. He also told me that the true stereo track of "Get Off Of My Cloud" was 'accidentally' put on the "Hot Rocks" album.

When ABKCO released the Remastered Series back in 2002 I expected all the stereo tracks to finally be released. Of course I was disappointed to say the least. I spoke with a guy at ABKCO a few years ago, who worked on the Remastered Series, and asked him why they didn't release any songs from Out Of Our Heads in stereo. He said "What do you mean Out Of Our Heads in stereo?". I told him that all of the songs except for "I'm Allright" were recorded in stereo. He was trying to make it sound like I didn't know what I was talking about. When I told him the stereo versions of songs like "Satisfaction" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" were being played on the radio he said: "I knew you were going to say those two songs". I basically got him to admit that a lot of songs were recorded in stereo but he insisted that it was the mono versions that were hits and that people remember, so that's the way it will remain that way. Of course this made no sense whatsoever considering the 12 x 5 album included six tracks in stereo for the first time on the Remastered Series. When I told him that he just didn't want to have any more to do with the conversation and basically hung up the phone in my face.

They are an idiot record label that has no idea how to please the fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-30 02:12 by originalstones.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 30, 2011 01:56

originalstones
This is a great thread.

When I purchased the Rolling Stones Mobile Fidelity box set back in the 80s, I remember listening to all the albums and reading the book that went with it. In the booklet it said something to the effect that you are hearing the albums the way they were actually recorded from the original master tapes. In the booklet either Ron Malo of Chess Studios or Dave Hassinger of RCA Studios is quoted as saying everything he recorded with the Stones was in stereo (everything recorded at Chess and RCA were in stereo). But yet when you listened to the early albums like 12 x 5 and Out Of Our Heads (mostly RCA and Chess sessions) they were still in mono. I called up Mobile Fidelity and spoke with some guy who worked on the box set and asked him "Why aren't 12 x 5 and Out Of Our Heads in stereo?", he told me that ABKCO told them to keep everything in mono, and then he told me a lot of people who bought the box set were calling them up asking the same question I was. He also told me that the true stereo track of "Get Off Of My Cloud" was 'accidentally' put on the "Hot Rocks" album.

When ABKCO released the Remastered Series back in 2002 I expected all the stereo tracks to finally be released. Of course I was disappointed to say the least. I spoke with a girl at ABKCO a few years ago, who worked on the Remastered Series, and asked her why they didn't release any songs from Out Of Our Heads in stereo. She said "What do you mean Out Of Our Heads in stereo?". I told her that all of the songs except for "I'm Allright" were recorded in stereo. She was trying to make it sound like I didn't know what I was talking about. When I told her the stereo versions of songs like "Satisfaction" and "Get Off Of My Cloud" were being played on the radio she said: "I knew you were going to say those two songs". I basically got her to admit that a lot of songs were recorded in stereo but she insisted that it was the mono versions that were hits and that people remember, so that's the way it will remain that way. Of course this made no sense whatsoever considering the 12 x 5 album included six tracks in stereo for the first time on the Remastered Series. When I told her that she just didn't want to have any more to do with the conversation and basically hung up the phone in my face.

They are an idiot record label that has no idea how to please the fans.

There's a guy on this board called "soulsurvivor1" You're talking and writing in the exact same way as him, regarding ABKCO. Maybe you and him should hook up and visit them... (Or maybe you are him?)

Date: May 30, 2011 02:08

I know who you're talking about, but I'm not him. I didn't write anything wrong, did I? This message board is about people expressing their opinion. I've seen far worse on this message board. Wouldn't you like to hear any of the true stereo Stones stuff ABKCO has never released?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:23

Of course I would! And sooner or later I expect they will release those Stereo masters, maybe in a boxset or something. And I agree some of the mixes of the reissues are a little confusing. However, I actually prefer the Stones in Mono up to around Aftermath. That's why I'm so happy with my ABKCO vinyl set from last year. The first 3 UK albums + 2 EP's in pure Mono, and then from Aftermath onwards in glourious Stereo! A fantastic release!

And hey, it's just your opinion. You didn't say anything wrong at all. I loved what you wrote.

Date: May 30, 2011 02:40

Blueranger
Of course I would! And sooner or later I expect they will release those Stereo masters, maybe in a boxset or something. And I agree some of the mixes of the reissues are a little confusing. However, I actually prefer the Stones in Mono up to around Aftermath. That's why I'm so happy with my ABKCO vinyl set from last year. The first 3 UK albums + 2 EP's in pure Mono, and then from Aftermath onwards in glourious Stereo! A fantastic release!

And hey, it's just your opinion. You didn't say anything wrong at all. I loved what you wrote.

I understand you like the mono mixes, it's just that we're not hearing a lot of that early stuff the way it was actually recorded. Remember, you may like the early stuff better if you heard it in stereo. I happen to be a big stereo guy. You can hear so much more in the stereo versions than you can in the mono versions. There are instruments that get drowned out in the mono mix and are extremely difficult to hear. Whereas in the stereo mixes they're more up-front. I think it would be great to have both mono and stereo.

If ABKCO doesn't release the stuff soon there is going to be no audience for it. They will soak money into something that will be a bust and we will not see any more Stones stuff from them.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:51

If ABKCO doesn't release the stuff soon there is going to be no audience for it. They will soak money into something that will be a bust and we will not see any more Stones stuff from them.

That's a great statement that I wrote sometime back.....................even I lost interest in the Stereo/Mono releases ....I'm only curious in outtakes/demo's especially from '63 till '73

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:52

This was a very interesting thread I missed completely when it was new. Thanks for bringing it back up!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2408
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home