Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What country in the world are the Stones most popular in?
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: July 23, 2009 23:58

I would have thought Argentina, is that right?

Re: What country in the world are the Stones most popular in?
Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:26

I've heard that after the futbol clubs Tattos, the stones tongue
is the most popular tattoo in Argentina.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:43

Perhaps Holland based on per capita population?

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:56

Germany is a true Stones country, too :-)

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 24, 2009 00:57

Holland

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 24, 2009 01:05

I am in Buenos Aires right now, been here for over a month. I can tell you there is a stronger Stones presence here than anywhere else I have ever been. I hear their songs often whenever I'm out and about, I see graffiti, I see t shirts, and lots of tongue stickers on cars, and today I walked by a boutique that had a whole Stones thing for the window display, even a copy of Primitive Cool.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 24, 2009 04:28

Australia !!

Date: July 24, 2009 05:07

Argentina without a doubt...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 24, 2009 06:43

slew
Holland

Not based on ABB tours public attendance - that was terrible.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 24, 2009 07:07

the country called New York City

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: July 24, 2009 07:15

USA--no doubt! smileys with beer

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: July 24, 2009 08:10

@deathgod
If only....

Our country as a whole has terrible music taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-24 11:24 by OneHit.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:13

It's absolutely Sweden.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:32

MKjan
I am in Buenos Aires right now, been here for over a month. I can tell you there is a stronger Stones presence here than anywhere else I have ever been. I hear their songs often whenever I'm out and about, I see graffiti, I see t shirts, and lots of tongue stickers on cars, and today I walked by a boutique that had a whole Stones thing for the window display, even a copy of Primitive Cool.

You can go to "El Tributo" bar (I think that is not thta hard to find the address). Is a Stones dedicated bar tended by Juan Ignacio who is a big fan (as you can imagine).

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 24, 2009 11:10

Holland then Germany

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 24, 2009 11:12

See the IORR news entry of January 1 this year:

Jan 1: One million people on IORR during 2008
A total of one million people visited IORR during 2008. Every person visited IORR an average of 3 times during the year. The visitors came from more than 190 countries i.e. all countries across the world. The top visiting contries are USA, Germany and UK. For details and comments see the IORR forum thread

One million people on IORR during 2008
[www.iorr.org]

If you take the list of visitors i.e. fans visiting the world's biggest non-official Stones web site IORR then it looks like this:

1. United States (US) 34%
2. Germany (DE) 11%
3. United Kingdom (UK) 9%
4. Netherlands (NL) 7%
5. France (FR) 4%
6. Sweden (SE) 4%
7. Canada (CA) 3.3%
8. Norway (NO) 2.7%
9. Italy (IT) 2.1%
10. Japan (JP) 2.1%
11. Spain (ES) 2.1%
12. Australia (AU) 1.9%
13. Austria (AT) 1.6%
14. Finland (FI) 1.5%
15. Switzerland (CH) 1.4%
16. Denmark (DK) 1.3%
17. Belgium (BE) 1.1%
18. Poland (PL) 1.0%
19. Hungary (HU) 0.8%
20. Uruguay (UY) 0.7%
21. Brazil (BR) 0.5%
22. Czech Republic (CZ) 0.5%
23. Portugal (PT) 0.4%
24. Argentina (AR) 0.4%
25. Ireland (IE) 0.4%
26. Mexico (MX) 0.4%
27. Russian Federation (RU) 0.3%
28. New Zealand (NZ) 0.3%
29. Greece (GR) 0.2%
30. Croatia (Hrvatska) (HR) 0.2%

You may do anything you like with these numbers, but fact is USA is the biggest market for the Stones. That is where you find the most fans, but it is a large country, 50 states, fans all over, from Texas to Washington, Florida to Maine, the Stones could tour every day for the rest of their life in USA if they wanted.

Netherlands is probably the country with the highest number of fans vs size of populaton, next to Norway. Population of Netherlands is 16.5 million vs Norway is 4.5 million. I notice that the Stones are popular both in Argentina and Uruguay. Since spanish is the language here many fans don't spend so much time on English spoken web sites, so I would assume Argentina, Uruguay as well as other countries would be higher up on the list if IORR was multi-language supported.

Bjornulf

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:02

Based on the Biggest Bang DVDs, I'd definitely say Argentina.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:08

Well, it is a bit difficult. If you compare figures and you take USA as one country (which it is of course), then you should also take EU as one coutry (or maybe the whole Europe). Otherwise the results are really missleading. That obviously works only when comparing USA and EU, it is unfair to all other countries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-24 15:11 by Happy24.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:13

One things for sure it's not the UK. Probably Argentina has the most fanatical fans who still know how to enjoy a Stones concert.

John Nicholls

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:22

In terms of fervour, Argentina by some distance. As MKJan's post suggests, there cant be too many countries where the Stones are still regarded as culturally significant. Part of that may be because it wasnt until 1995 that they first performed there.

The US is the band's #1 market in terms of financial revenue and media exposure, but that doesnt translate into record sales. Europe is a bigger market now in terms of population though (in the last decade or so since it's become easier to play all over the continent whereas before the end of the Cold War bands only really played western europe) and they also probably sell more records in that market than in the US.

Date: July 24, 2009 15:24

Agree 100% Gazza. I was amazed to see Argentians chasing after their bus as if it was the Beatles invasion here in the US in the 60's. Never expected to see anything like that at this stage in their careers.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:25

Deathgod
Australia !!

you must be kidding !

Date: July 24, 2009 15:42

VoodooLounge13
Agree 100% Gazza. I was amazed to see Argentians chasing after their bus as if it was the Beatles invasion here in the US in the 60's. Never expected to see anything like that at this stage in their careers.

Thats the image that remained with me as well. Teenage girls screaming and crying outside the band's hotel. Bloody hell.

I've never been to Argentina for a show, just saw the '95, '98 and '06 shows on film, but having seen the Stones in about ten different countries, I've NEVER seen audiences anywhere near as nutty for the Stones as that!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:43

you must be kidding !

YEAH !!! There's only 2 people and an old Kangaroo who claims
he wrote Brown Sugar livin' down here at the moment....All BIG fans

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2009 15:44

It was really quite impressive, I must say. And it's really nice to know and see that they do still remain relevant SOMEWHERE!!

Date: July 24, 2009 15:47

hey, they're relevant in my house and on my ipod, and thats all that matters!

Date: July 24, 2009 15:50

LOL Point well made!!

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 24, 2009 17:13

Stones always call the USA home.And for good reason

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 24, 2009 18:20

Gazza
In terms of fervour, Argentina by some distance. As MKJan's post suggests, there cant be too many countries where the Stones are still regarded as culturally significant. Part of that may be because it wasnt until 1995 that they first performed there.

The US is the band's #1 market in terms of financial revenue and media exposure, but that doesnt translate into record sales. Europe is a bigger market now in terms of population though (in the last decade or so since it's become easier to play all over the continent whereas before the end of the Cold War bands only really played western europe) and they also probably sell more records in that market than in the US.

Thanks Gazza, you put very well what I was trying to say. Fervour is what I feel here,and it is widespread. The others numbers of other counties may add up to a bigger market place, but many of those are going to see the event, here it is about the Stones and their music. Last night I was out with a bunch of people for dinner in the Palermo section of Buenos Aires. The guy next to me, who I didn't know, started talking about the Stones, and he went into this incredibly long passionate discourse of his take on Thru and Thru, I mean this guy was nearing tears as he spoke of the song, he took me through it note by note, word by word, and he was really besides himself. I was like, wow!!! I love this place.

Thanks leteyer for this info, I will check that place out for sure.

Date: July 24, 2009 18:23

MKjan
Gazza

Thanks Gazza, you put very well what I was trying to say. Fervour is what I feel here,and it is widespread. The others numbers of other counties may add up to a bigger market place, but many of those are going to see the event, here it is about the Stones and their music. Last night I was out with a bunch of people for dinner in the Palermo section of Buenos Aires. The guy next to me, who I didn't know, started talking about the Stones, and he went into this incredibly long passionate discourse of his take on Thru and Thru, I mean this guy was nearing tears as he spoke of the song, he took me through it note by note, word by word, and he was really besides himself. I was like, wow!!! I love this place.

Thats it. I'm movin'!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home