Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What country in the world are the Stones most popular in?
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 24, 2009 18:45

Gazza
MKjan
Gazza
In terms of fervour, Argentina by some distance. As MKJan's post suggests, there cant be too many countries where the Stones are still regarded as culturally significant. Part of that may be because it wasnt until 1995 that they first performed there.

The US is the band's #1 market in terms of financial revenue and media exposure, but that doesnt translate into record sales. Europe is a bigger market now in terms of population though (in the last decade or so since it's become easier to play all over the continent whereas before the end of the Cold War bands only really played western europe) and they also probably sell more records in that market than in the US.

Thanks Gazza, you put very well what I was trying to say. Fervour is what I feel here,and it is widespread. The others numbers of other counties may add up to a bigger market place, but many of those are going to see the event, here it is about the Stones and their music. Last night I was out with a bunch of people for dinner in the Palermo section of Buenos Aires. The guy next to me, who I didn't know, started talking about the Stones, and he went into this incredibly long passionate discourse of his take on Thru and Thru, I mean this guy was nearing tears as he spoke of the song, he took me through it note by note, word by word, and he was really besides himself. I was like, wow!!! I love this place.

Thats it. I'm movin'!

LOL, seriously, I would love to live here, did I mention the girls......

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 24, 2009 18:54

i thought brown sugar was written by alligators.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 19:07

I was impressed in Buenos Aires 2006; the TV in my hotel broadcasted Stones videos all day long on Feb 21.
In front of the hotel of the Stones there were hundreds of people who even spent the night there.
I was coming from Copacabana and saw only the first Baires show; the two nights at the River Plate were sold out and the second night there has been a riot outside the stadium. I guess I still have the Argentinian newspapers with pictures of people hurted and bleeding.
It seemes like a revival of the sixties or the seventies; it's just three years ago.
Anyway, just to say that the Argentinian look to me the most stones-fanatics nowadays.
Just to give you aterm of comparison, I saw the three concerts at the O2 in London; impossible to find even a poster hung in the subway!

Posted by: Paintitblak ()
Date: July 24, 2009 19:19

bv
See the IORR news entry of January 1 this year:

Jan 1: One million people on IORR during 2008
A total of one million people visited IORR during 2008. Every person visited IORR an average of 3 times during the year. The visitors came from more than 190 countries i.e. all countries across the world. The top visiting contries are USA, Germany and UK. For details and comments see the IORR forum thread

One million people on IORR during 2008
[www.iorr.org]

If you take the list of visitors i.e. fans visiting the world's biggest non-official Stones web site IORR then it looks like this:

1. United States (US) 34%
2. Germany (DE) 11%
3. United Kingdom (UK) 9%
4. Netherlands (NL) 7%
5. France (FR) 4%
6. Sweden (SE) 4%
7. Canada (CA) 3.3%
8. Norway (NO) 2.7%
9. Italy (IT) 2.1%
10. Japan (JP) 2.1%
11. Spain (ES) 2.1%
12. Australia (AU) 1.9%
13. Austria (AT) 1.6%
14. Finland (FI) 1.5%
15. Switzerland (CH) 1.4%
16. Denmark (DK) 1.3%
17. Belgium (BE) 1.1%
18. Poland (PL) 1.0%
19. Hungary (HU) 0.8%
20. Uruguay (UY) 0.7%
21. Brazil (BR) 0.5%
22. Czech Republic (CZ) 0.5%
23. Portugal (PT) 0.4%
24. Argentina (AR) 0.4%
25. Ireland (IE) 0.4%
26. Mexico (MX) 0.4%
27. Russian Federation (RU) 0.3%
28. New Zealand (NZ) 0.3%
29. Greece (GR) 0.2%
30. Croatia (Hrvatska) (HR) 0.2%

You may do anything you like with these numbers, but fact is USA is the biggest market for the Stones. That is where you find the most fans, but it is a large country, 50 states, fans all over, from Texas to Washington, Florida to Maine, the Stones could tour every day for the rest of their life in USA if they wanted.

Netherlands is probably the country with the highest number of fans vs size of populaton, next to Norway. Population of Netherlands is 16.5 million vs Norway is 4.5 million. I notice that the Stones are popular both in Argentina and Uruguay. Since spanish is the language here many fans don't spend so much time on English spoken web sites, so I would assume Argentina, Uruguay as well as other countries would be higher up on the list if IORR was multi-language supported.

Don't agree with you BV, USA is a big country with many people. A lot of people in Argentina don't have an access to any internet connection. You cannot use your stats here. Even kids there, cannot pay a ticket to a Stones concert. Never seen so many kids going to a Stadium, without paying as they do in Argentina. I would say Argentina is where you find the most Stones fans in the World as well as USA is the biggest market for financial reasons obviously.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 24, 2009 19:57

Judging from my own personal experience about how big passion and feeling people have for the Stones, regardless of size, location or anything you can countr/quantify, I would say this is the list of the most fan-tastic fans:

1. Argentina
2. Spain
3. Italy

This is based on my own experience, following the Stones from city to city, show to show, all over the world, over the years.

PS. You can be a big fan and very passionate without making lots of noise, without piling up in 100's in front of the Stones hotel. Australia is a good example. Great fans, they love the Stones, but they don't freak out like they do in Argentina...

Bjornulf

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 20:37

I'm so glad to be livin in the uSA! Ohhhhhh I'm so glad to be livin...in Jakarta??? Well safe. But hey man gotta be the US! That was the holy grail for all the brit invasion storm troopers. USA, the home of rock they loved and turned the yanks back onto, but with the social revolutionary visionary prophetic galvanizer...yeah! USA.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 24, 2009 21:02

No doubt UK

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 24, 2009 21:03

I would say Argentina

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: July 24, 2009 23:16

So it's not Croatia?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 24, 2009 23:29

Must be Ivory Coast

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 25, 2009 03:30

Having a place in B.A. and family in the country I can attest personally to the Argentine fervor for the Stones...it's so cool to walk the streets and feel like it's 1978 again...the Stones rule.

But Beelyboy is right...New York City is where the Stones find their Valhalla...the city embraces them and elevates their game to incredible heights.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2009 03:41

Australia is a good example. Great fans, they love the Stones, but they don't freak out like they do in Argentina...

YEAH see take it from The Captain .... We is all gentlemen down here

ROCKMAN

Posted by: B-Flat ()
Date: July 25, 2009 06:17

Hello guys. I am from Argentina. Firstly we should define what mean to be a Stones fan. You and myself are really Stones fans, those who have spent uncountable hours listen to all the Stones albums, bootlegs, videos, DVDs, reading books, etc etc. Passion is a different thing. In terms of passion Argentina has demonstrated that there is strange phenomenon around the Rolling Stones in this country, but, I would say that those guys calling themselves Stones fans may only know the name of 5 or 6 Stones songs; moreover, the would confuse Mick`s solo songs as Stones songs.

Sorry to tell you this but in Argentina you will not find authentics fans of the Rolling Stones. Buenos Aires is a crazy city, you will listen to the Stones everywhere, you will see the Tongue in cars and buses, you may attend to the best Rolling Stones shows in the planet, but the crowd would not sing songs like Memory Motel, Get out off my cloud, It´s all over now, I wanna hold you, etc etc becouse they literally do not know those songs. They think that Dead Flowers is a Guns and Roses song!

We may need the assistance of a sociologyst to explain such strange phenomenon. And this is a comment to BV: In Argentina most of the families have internet, we do not live in the 19 century or in Cuba.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 25, 2009 06:47

My Argentine wife and I are laughing our asses off at that last piece B-Flat. We joke that Americans (I am an American) all think that everything south of here is Mexico.

Date: July 25, 2009 07:39

Good post B-Flat.
I have seen that too, and thought about it: where I have been at shows, at absolute crazy shows with GREAT fans, but I know the fans are a different kind. They know maybe 5-6 Stones songs; where they know it is the Stones.
But I ask myself: do I have a better time at a show with 50,000 dudes swinging their TShirts and chanting and smoking and drinking, or would I have a better time at a show where everyone is taking notes, snapping phones open, recording and nodding wisely?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-25 07:43 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 25, 2009 08:15

New Zealand or China

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: July 25, 2009 08:28

USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...Lets see...where will the next tour start...USA

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 25, 2009 08:39

According to Bill German. Holland is the country with the most passionate Stones fans. Or at least once was. It's always a subjective thing of course. Had they played in Argentina more often,they maybe less passionate. But it doesn't really matter does it?....As long as their are people who still are interested in the Stones at this point is always a good thing.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 25, 2009 12:00

No Expectations
USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...USA...Lets see...where will the next tour start...USA

What has that got to do with anything?

Date: July 25, 2009 13:28

Gazza
No Expectations

What has that got to do with anything?

It's Michael Phelps of course.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 25, 2009 14:04

Lukester
So it's not Croatia?

I would like that, but it's definitely not, unfortunately I think that U2 are most popular band heremoody smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 29, 2009 19:04

No Expectations

USA is most popular in terms of people buying hot dogs and pretzels during the concert, I mean the lines are deep, these folks bitch about the tix prices, and they have it in their minds they NEED to have a &#^%#*! hot dog.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 29, 2009 21:57

USA by a million light years. come on! Give it up.

Posted by: TooMuchAlcohol ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:05

bv
Netherlands is probably the country with the highest number of fans vs size of populaton, next to Norway.

Netherlands yes, but Norway ? You are not serious.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 29, 2009 22:36

It is a very simple calculation.

Norway is 4.5 million people and the Stones performed one show in Bergen 2006 with 20,000 people at Koengen and next year 2007 with 40,000 people in Oslo. Total of 1.3% of every single person in Norway went to see the Stones. 13 out of 1000 people in the Netherlands went to see the Stones live on that tour. Many people had to travel all day by car or flights to get to these shows in Norway. It takes 48 hours to drive from the north to one of these shows, and 8-10 hours across the mountains by car. I did the drive myself...

Netherlands is 16.5 million people and the Stones performed for 55,000 people in Amsterdam 2006 and then 45,000 people at Nijmegen Netherlands 2007. Total of 100,000 which is 0.6% of the people in the Netherlands. Six out of 1000 people in the Netherlands went to see the Stones live on that tour. Most people in the Netherlands can easily get to these two cities by train within 2-3 hours max.

I am not a big fan of competing about what country has got the most fans and so on, but it is easy canculations to see that the Stones have many fans in Norway, as compared to the population, quite simply. But of course there are lots of Stones fans in the Netherlands too, and Argentina, and USA, and UK, and so on...

Bjornulf

Date: July 29, 2009 23:02

Re : The Netherlands.

I think its worth pointing out that its a small country with excellent transport connections (not to mention the lure of Amsterdam smiling smiley ) that is close to a few larger ones - UK, France, Germany - and so maybe it would attract more fans travelling from overseas than most countries.

I guess we could argue that maybe its Luxembourg. They played to about 40,000 people there at their one time only show in 1995, and the country's population was only about 400,000......I doubt too many of that crowd were Luxembourgers, though.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 29, 2009 23:11

i was just in kenya and tanzania...those are not #1 and #2 I believe I can safely report....

Date: July 29, 2009 23:19

Still just ahead of Afghanistan, North Korea and possibly Mongolia though, yes?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 29, 2009 23:29

perhaps. the maasai warriors i spoke to, though, were deeply disappointed by the stones last ballad single...it doesn't bode well for a sellout tour of the serengeti

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: July 29, 2009 23:34

Clearly it's the USA. Every once in a while a piker comes along as 'flavor of the month' but when the Stones tour, they start in the USA & they also play about half their shows here.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home