Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2120 So Michigan Ave
Date: July 13, 2009 12:33

I always thought the line up here was Keith on guitar, Brian on harp, and Jagger on maracas. That there was only one guitar.
Then the other day I was listening to a alternate version of the cut, and during the first part I was already thinking to myself that it did not sound much like Brian's early harmonica style. Early on Brian was way more adventurous and cleaner on the notes than Jagger. Jagger had the bluesy howl. But this sounded like Jagger trying to play like Brian. Then during the guitar solo, there was plainly a second guitar to be heard, strumming chords. Anyone ever notice that?

Re: 2120 So Michigan Ave
Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: July 13, 2009 13:48

I just listened to both versions and I hear no second guitar at all. That has to be Brian on the harp. No way Mick could have done that, I don't think. I hear Charlie, Bill (amazingly well recorded), Stu (?) on organ, Mick on tambourine and occasional grunting, Brian on harp and Keith on guitar. I think it's totally live and that's why it sounds so sharp and crisp, because they didn't have to bounce any tracks down.

Tommy

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 13, 2009 14:35

2120 So Michigan Ave is the best instrumental of all time, I just ADORE this track.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2009 14:53

That is 110% Brian playing harmonica!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 13, 2009 14:53

Palace Revolution 2000
I always thought the line up here was Keith on guitar, Brian on harp, and Jagger on maracas. That there was only one guitar.
Then the other day I was listening to a alternate version of the cut, and during the first part I was already thinking to myself that it did not sound much like Brian's early harmonica style. Early on Brian was way more adventurous and cleaner on the notes than Jagger. Jagger had the bluesy howl. But this sounded like Jagger trying to play like Brian. Then during the guitar solo, there was plainly a second guitar to be heard, strumming chords. Anyone ever notice that?

By "alternate version", do you mean the BBC take? That I haven´t heard in a while, but I agree with Tommy about the regular studio version.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 13, 2009 15:10

The "altermate" was also done at Chess. I'm not sure if its a completely different take or if its an extended version that the released one was edited from. I always heard rumours that Muddy sat in on this and was edited out on the shorter version due to his demand to get paid but that may be just that- a rumour! anyone else heard this?

Date: July 13, 2009 16:18

The rumour about Muddy Waters is just that... Bill has confirmed that Muddy didn´t play on the Chess recordings in 1964.
The short 2120 SMA is the same as the long, just faded early!

Date: July 13, 2009 18:16

I agree with every post by everyone. Of course that should be the line up with Brian on the harp. But listen to the BBC version and please tell me who is strumming the guitar on the low strings.
Keith is hitting those syncopated hits on the high strings. But underneath someone is very audibly strumming the typical r&b rhythm.

Date: July 13, 2009 18:17

On the 12x5 version (the short one) we got the Bass, then Keith coming in and the organ starts to comp too.
But the version I am talking about is very different. It is the BBC version. For starters it is in a different key. In 'A'. The "usual" one is in G.
It is real obvious. On the BBC version someone is playing second guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-13 18:25 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: July 13, 2009 18:28

Maybe the BBC version has Keith/Brian on guitars and Mick on harmonica?

Date: July 13, 2009 18:34

Yeah rootsman, that is my point. I actually think that is pretty exciting that they would have switched up like that. The BBC version has no organ at all, no shakers. Te harmonica licks are not NEAR as prolific as Brian. I mean, Brian was a downright virtuoso on harp back then. Listen to the BBC version around 50 second mark. This sound clearly like someone running out of ideas. Jagger wasn't that good yet.
And at 1:30 they do what every band does on a jam number: kind of break it down to bass and drum to "regroup"; where the bandleader might point at one guy and say "OK you go and take one". Right before the lead guitar comes in you hear the rhythm guitar pick it up too.

Date: July 13, 2009 18:38

Interesting that they switched.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 14, 2009 16:15

I don't think it is Keith taking the solo. Just not his style IMHO. Could be Muddy, and why not? I love the arrangement, and yes this instrumental has one hell of a groove. A classic that never sounds dated. Would be cool if they played it live. I go to lots of White Sox games and they play this number frequently. I don't think many people have a clue who the band is, or that the song is a tribute to Chess studios. For that matter I don't think most local people even know about the history of Chess records. The recent film though did increase some awareness.

Date: July 14, 2009 16:30

I think the lead guitar break sounds exactly like Keith.

Posted by: MickTaylorfan1 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 21:25

Sorry for a stupid question but where can I find the BBC version? I have only heard 2 versions of it, the short one and the extended on beat....

Date: July 14, 2009 21:27

scottkeef
I think the lead guitar break sounds exactly like Keith.

Damn right!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 21:59

I always assumed it was Brian playing harmonica on the album version but then, I too, heard the BBC version and you can clearly hear two guitars playing as well as the harmonica. I figured that for that version Mick must be playing the harmonica but then I wondered if it was him playing on the album version.
To MickTaylorfan, if you check the Hot Stuff section on this site, I'm sure you cna find the whole Beat Beat at the Beeb album.

Date: July 14, 2009 22:02

DGA35
I always assumed it was Brian playing harmonica on the album version but then, I too, heard the BBC version and you can clearly hear two guitars playing as well as the harmonica. I figured that for that version Mick must be playing the harmonica but then I wondered if it was him playing on the album version.

There's no way that it's Mick on the Chess studios version!

Posted by: MickTaylorfan1 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 22:29

DGA35
To MickTaylorfan, if you check the Hot Stuff section on this site, I'm sure you cna find the whole Beat Beat at the Beeb album.

Thanks for the help smiling smiley its being followed by another stupid question from me *ashamed* I do have the one on "beat"... is it the one that you talk about in this thread?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:52

It could well be Keith playing the solo, but there is nothing before or after that sounds anything like that again. Espeically, from the 2:36 mark on those are riffs that must be one offs for Keith. The solo just sounds too slick, but look if he laid it down that way all I can say is well done. I love it.

As for the harp player it has to be Brian.

Date: July 15, 2009 00:38

I am actually pretty convinced that it is Jagger on harmonica now. For starters - it's 64/65 on the radio; it was basically live, and since there are 2 guitars, who would be playing the other guitar?
But more than that IMO Brian was a very accomplished harp player, and on this particular cut the harp player just does not sound that...good. Or inspired. E.g the section from around 40 second mark to around the 1 minute; those are real basic little riffs and especially around the 1 minute it sounds like the player runs out of ideas. Brian always sounded like he could go on for another hour without running out of ideas.
This is just my take; I know how one gets this whole scenario in the head, and who knows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-15 00:38 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: July 15, 2009 03:09

<<it's 64/65 on the radio>>

If my notes are correct the BBC version was cut on Oct 08 1964
Show hosted by Alexis Korner

Date: July 15, 2009 21:47

I wonder if the BBC version has Mick playing harmonica simply because if they're playing the song live, if Brian played the harmonica like on the studio version, what would Mick do?

Date: July 15, 2009 22:18

DGA35
I wonder if the BBC version has Mick playing harmonica simply because if they're playing the song live, if Brian played the harmonica like on the studio version, what would Mick do?

Convincing point! thumbs up

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: July 15, 2009 22:52

play tamburine or guitar ????????winking smiley

Date: July 16, 2009 00:10

I don't think Mick would stand there for a full song just playing tambourine! Actually, when was the first time he played guitar live?

Date: July 16, 2009 01:57

First time was "Fingerprint File" in 75 I believe.

Date: July 16, 2009 03:32

Seems like I saw a photo once of Mick playing an acoustic at R n R Circus during an alternate take of Cant Always Get? ( or maybe I'm imagining things)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 16, 2009 09:57

>> it's 64/65 on the radio; it was basically live <<

yes, if "basically live" means the same as "full-fledged live performance".
the in-studio performances of that era arose from musicians-union demands for air time for in-person musicians
lest they lose too much work due to this newfangled recorded music stuff

just a historical footnote - carry on :E

Date: July 16, 2009 13:15

What I mean by basically live is full live set -up , yes.
Because nowadays, whenever an artists is not physically seen, and is performing, very often they will use shortcuts.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1316
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home