Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Album (and a Big What IF)
Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:16

Rocky Dijon
That's true, boogie69. However, as a genuine fan of your posts, it must be said you peaked around post 19. The last 60-odd posts sadly fail to match the raw excitement of your early posts where you easily distinguished yourself with your refreshing honesty and savage wit in conveying all that is wrong about the surviving band members who still work together once in a blue moon. I fear that regardless of the topic, all of your posts are doomed to sound the same and we will never again know the exultant high that matches the first time you wrote "The Stones today suck" or "Keith is an overweight liar." Like any good fan, I will keep reading everything you write, but in the end I know that you also desperately mourn the fact that you are no longer able to write posts worthy of our attention as you once did. Poor old blighter, you should really call it a day.

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SARCASM AND ITS AUTHOR MAY ACTUALLY BE A DICK
----WOOF!!! maybe you should put this hitherto unknown writing talent to good use and ghost-write the "NEW" stones lp..so as to save the glimmer twins the hassle!!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:20

Rip This
.......I think when an established professional chooses a young talented anybody to do something that it helps move things along....it would be very exciting if the Stones chose someone like Ethan Johns..
----rick rubin would be good..but he's too strong a personality for the boys (!) too work with--he'd be ordering them about and they'd be saying "we're the big bad rolling (cough hack wheeze) stones"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:23

Rob Fraboni. He's worked with the Stones on and off over the years, as far back as Goats Head Soup, as well as Keith's solo albums. Listen to Keith's tunes on Bridges - those are the Fraboni songs.

I think Don has done an OK to good job. Voodoo sounds amazingly plain now while Bridges still has a lot of character and depth to it. Bang is pretty raw and sounds better than Voodoo (no commenting about the songs on this one). And the 4 tracks on Licks - only one of them is interesting at all - Keith's song! The rest of them - as much as Don't Stop is a bit catchy - are clunkers.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 4, 2009 21:14

Palace Revolution 2000
Bill Webster, much respect for you because I always dig your posts, but the songs you quote in ref to Don Was might be some of the worst tunes the Stones have done since '89. They stand for much that is wrong with their latter day recordings.

Yes, I agree with most of these tunes being the Worst of their last 3 albums to date. But when Bob Dylan called them "a funk band" in one of his recent interviews, I thought that it is in part the Don Was influence, since he comes out of a funk band. But there is a lot of funk on Keith's solo albums, too, so maybe "Baby Break It Down" is in fact Keith's tune.

When I think about it again, my favourite choice of all the guys mentioned would be Rob Fraboni, but for an album of new songs. Spare the "Tattoos" for later.

Date: July 4, 2009 21:23

Keith's albums are the best sounding albums from the entire Stonescamp since 86 IMO. Includes Ronnie's solo, Jagger's solo, Stones etc. That would be the direction the Stones would stand tall in. It's the natural progression; considering the times, technology, and the fact they are the Stones. So Fraboni is a great call. More than that though it is Keith who would need to step up and take charge.
Another fact about the Keith albums: the Waddy/Keith combo reminds me of a 2000 version of the Taylor/Keith duo. It is a similar chemistry.
Much as Keith denies it - this thing he calls weaving ain't all that.

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:50

Well, for me, the best songs since STEEL WHEELS have been the Keith tunes -- so I think I'd get a little excited for Rob Fabroni. "Thief In the Night" "Thru and Thru" "The Worst" -- that says enough for me.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: July 5, 2009 01:45

It's not a big "What If", it's a big "When"

Date: July 5, 2009 03:55

'When' could be 'never' or 'never again'.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 5, 2009 12:44

They'll tour the globe one more time. Let's just hope the stage and Jagger's outfits are not the only changing this time. I could really use some surprises to refresf my declining faith in the curernt day Stones...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2009 13:05

I could really use some surprises

Free popcorn at each concert and ya know who suggested that ....
During every show random audience seats will be electrified during You Got Me Rockin'....
Streets Of Love will be screened in all stadium loos seein' how most dudes who need love are takin' a piss-break ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 5, 2009 18:38

yeah mick has been wearing those tight black pants since SW, give it a rest already

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 5, 2009 19:05

If they do decide to record again, I would love to see Jack White as producer--

I think he could coax quite a record out of them

Date: July 6, 2009 17:49

skipstone
'When' could be 'never' or 'never again'.

Do you really think so? I would be shocked if they didn't.

Date: July 6, 2009 17:54

That's why I said 'could be'. What the contract says means nothing.

Date: July 6, 2009 18:12

skipstone
That's why I said 'could be'. What the contract says means nothing.

I wasn't thinking about a contract, I was thinking on a more personal level, and would be shocked if the Stones decided they didn't have anything else to say.

Date: July 6, 2009 19:49

Some people here think they haven't said anything in quite some time and that ABB was awful. So yeah, I guess in one sense it just depends on what one thinks of the Stones NOW.

Personally I would love it if they did another record - hell, a few more. Why not? They are songwriters, crafters of songs. Certainly there are plenty of ideas still. They came up with great ideas way after their Golden Era that were great. They've had great songs on every album (though, yes, some of them have been very few, like on Steel Wheels, Dirty Work).

I just can't see them doing another massive tour. It wouldn't surprise me if that is their motive to do another one - because they can. It's just one of these days they just simply aren't gonna be able to handle the road anymore. The ABB tour showed that. Sure, they still sounded good in general but some of it was pretty bad compared to the previous 2 or 3 tours.

Date: July 8, 2009 14:53

skipstone
Some people here think they haven't said anything in quite some time and that ABB was awful. So yeah, I guess in one sense it just depends on what one thinks of the Stones NOW.

I think one of the biggest problems is what was mentioned in a recent article on Voodoo...people compare their albums to Exile, Some Girls, etc. If the Stones were a new band starting out in the 90's, I think they're newer stuff would be much more appreciated.

The ABB tour showed that. Sure, they still sounded good in general but some of it was pretty bad compared to the previous 2 or 3 tours.

I had great experiences at the shows I saw, so I can't really comment. Obviously, they are aging, but I think Keith will improve from last time. Rehabilitation for what he went through is a very long process. Sure, you can get up and start functioning quickly, but to really get yourself back to where you were, and off the meds, takes a long time.

Date: July 8, 2009 20:16

Notice I said "they", not just Keith.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home