Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Album (and a Big What IF)
Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:10

Lets say those unfounded rumors are true, and the Rolling Stones do record new music, or at the very least re-work outtakes from the last 3 or 4 albums. Who would you like to do the producing? And would you be satisfied/excited to hear it was Don Was?

My Pick: Ethan Johns, son of Glynn, and producer of the best releases by Ryan Adams and Kings of Leon. The guy has got an ear for dirt nasty rock and roll. The kind the Stones perfected.

Re: New Album (and a Big What IF)
Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:26

I wouldn't want anyone to produce it, they suck now, their creative juices ran dry over two decades ago. Ethan Johns won't make a difference, no one will, they are no longer capable of making dirty nasty rock and roll. To me, a new Stones album is not worth the materials it's pressed on. Please pack it in and stop guys, please, your ruining your legacy with these ridiculous tours and shite attempts at new songs.

Date: July 3, 2009 22:27

Thanks for your positive input. You should mail them a letter.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:34

Boogie your demonstrating a high level of ignorance here.....mate

Don Was or the Glimmer twins

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:40

That's true, boogie69. However, as a genuine fan of your posts, it must be said you peaked around post 19. The last 60-odd posts sadly fail to match the raw excitement of your early posts where you easily distinguished yourself with your refreshing honesty and savage wit in conveying all that is wrong about the surviving band members who still work together once in a blue moon. I fear that regardless of the topic, all of your posts are doomed to sound the same and we will never again know the exultant high that matches the first time you wrote "The Stones today suck" or "Keith is an overweight liar." Like any good fan, I will keep reading everything you write, but in the end I know that you also desperately mourn the fact that you are no longer able to write posts worthy of our attention as you once did. Poor old blighter, you should really call it a day.

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SARCASM AND ITS AUTHOR MAY ACTUALLY BE A DICK

Date: July 3, 2009 22:44

Ouch! Funny, and couldn't have said it/typed it better myself, but OUCH!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:45

Rocky Dijon
That's true, boogie69. However, as a genuine fan of your posts, it must be said you peaked around post 19. The last 60-odd posts sadly fail to match the raw excitement of your early posts where you easily distinguished yourself with your refreshing honesty and savage wit in conveying all that is wrong about the surviving band members who still work together once in a blue moon. I fear that regardless of the topic, all of your posts are doomed to sound the same and we will never again know the exultant high that matches the first time you wrote "The Stones today suck" or "Keith is an overweight liar." Like any good fan, I will keep reading everything you write, but in the end I know that you also desperately mourn the fact that you are no longer able to write posts worthy of our attention as you once did. Poor old blighter, you should really call it a day.

A little sarcasm now and then never hurts >grinning smiley<

Brilliant reply!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-03 22:46 by Britney.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 3, 2009 23:11

Rocky my man. I had no idea you were capable of such brilliance. We have a genius among us.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 3, 2009 23:17

boogie69
I wouldn't want anyone to produce it, they suck now, their creative juices ran dry over two decades ago. Ethan Johns won't make a difference, no one will, they are no longer capable of making dirty nasty rock and roll. To me, a new Stones album is not worth the materials it's pressed on. Please pack it in and stop guys, please, your ruining your legacy with these ridiculous tours and shite attempts at new songs.

We are so thankful that you could share your thoughts with us, NOW GO AWAY!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2009 23:32

Yeah bv should run an IORR comp .... Name the one Stones song boogie69 likes..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 3, 2009 23:53

Funny that people here recognize the sarcasm in Rockys (excellent) post (most probably because of his explicit "parental warning") and while at the same time totally overlook the obvious sarcasm in boogie69s post. There may be geniusses among us, but theyre much rarer than one may think!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 3, 2009 23:55

.......I think when an established professional chooses a young talented anybody to do something that it helps move things along....it would be very exciting if the Stones chose someone like Ethan Johns..

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 4, 2009 00:05

Rip This
.......I think when an established professional chooses a young talented anybody to do something that it helps move things along....it would be very exciting if the Stones chose someone like Ethan Johns..

yes, absolutely. if theres one thing the Stones need its some fresh air.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: July 4, 2009 00:54

That was great Rocky Dijon! Very good way to sum up all of the whining complainers!!!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 4, 2009 01:08

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 4, 2009 01:39

Rick Rubin. Please. I implore the Stones. Please.

I would be profoundly disappointed (actually furious and disgusted) if it was Don Was.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 4, 2009 01:54

boogie69 Please pack it in and stop

sounds about right!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 4, 2009 01:57

First of all, don't listen to the naysayers.

Don Was is a good producer and bassist, but it is depending on who is the engineer, if it's to be good material. He comes out of a funk band, Was (Not Was) and that shows a little in places like "Jugular", "Baby Break It Down", "Anybody Seen My Baby", "Rain Fall Down" and "Sweet NMeocon". Even in Was (Not Was), he was used to working with an all-star troupe of popular guests and his productions are no different. Still, in recent times, he's been indulging a little too much in the loudness wars ongoing in CD mastering. I guess the Stones hired him backed by his success with Bonnie Raitt's albums in the late 80s. They of course were engineered by Ed Cherney, who was on board for B2B. VL was engineered by Don Smith, who a respectable producer in his own right. And ABB was engineered by Krish Sharma, who seems to be Don's main engineer since he has gone digital in recording.

If this new album is going to be a "Tattoo You"-styled project, in which they just finish up previously recorded song sketches, Don Was certainly is the man to produce because he was there when it happened the first time around.

Ethan Johns, son of Glyn, is an excellent lead guitarist, drummer, engineer and one-time solo artist in his own right. I'd say he's got a distinctive sound as a producer. But the songs he has produced always have tended to be on the softer side - by that I mean Ray LaMontagne, Leona Naess, Sarabeth Tucek, Julianna Raye and Joe Cocker aren't exactly hard rock. So I'm not sure if he would be a good choice for the Stones.

On B2B, I actually liked the approach of Danny Saber, but I preferred what I heard on the songs from that album and "Wingless Angels" that were engineered and co-produced by Rob Fraboni. They really should consider going to Ocho Rios with the whole 5-piece band plus Chuck for some jamming and songwriting sessions with Fraboni engineering. If that proves fruitful, he's the right producer.

Drummer Steve Jordan, who has got an impressive track record in production of blues-based albums, would be another good choice for an album started from scratch, as would be his occasional colleague and partner in production, the guitarist Danny Kortchmar.

Steve Berlin, best-known as sax player for Los Lobos and The Blasters, has been emerging as a very good producer between his Lobos gigs as well, and he certainly would also be a good choice. But producing the Stones might cause conflicting schedules with the Lobos' touring.

As far as a "Tattoo You"-styled album is concerned, outside help from somebody who is known as a pop/rock-oriented remixer could be useful in preparing the tracks from the tapes, to stay current. My choice would be Mousse T, the German DJ known for songs such as "Sex Bomb", "Horny", "Fire" and "Is It Cos I'm Cool".

And as a wildcard for producing an album from scratch, I'd like to enlist Matt Wallace, who is probably best known for his work with Faith No More, but also produced School Of Fish, Paul Westerberg, John Hiatt, Spin Doctors. He surely knows how to handle the harder rock sounds and having worked with Aswad, he had done reggae as well.

These are just some suggestions. I guess they will surprise us all, whatever they decide to do, even when it's just one of their previous engineers like Ed Cherney or Don Smith in the producer's seat.

And I'm all for a new album, no matter who produces it.

Date: July 4, 2009 02:19

I think a new album would mean way more than another tour. A tour without an album would be a blow.
Rick Rubin, all the way. The younger guys, while brilliant just don't have the years, the age to produce the Stones.
Don Was is the worst thing to happen to Stones. Another lame yes-man like Leavell. Take your beard and go home. Bill Webster, much respect for you because I always dig your posts, but the songs you quote in ref to Don Was might be some of the worst tunes the Stones have done since '89. They stand for much that is wrong with their latter day recordings.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: July 4, 2009 02:35

Rocky Dijon

Perfect reply, thanks RJ!

To stay on topic, personally I really hope they won't use Don Was again, I'm not too fond of his style but then who am I to say? After almost 50 years in the business I'm sure Mick and Keith know exactly what they're looking for in a producer and if Don Was fills the bill so be it.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: July 4, 2009 07:27

Don Was is the likely candidate. I like the idea of Rick Rubins, but don't see that one happening.
But if I'm going to dream...I wonder what Daniel Lanios would do with the Stones? Could be interesting..and I know, a potential train wreck as well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2009 07:48

..Total train wreck......KABOOM...KABOOM...KABOOM

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 4, 2009 12:14

Rocky Dijon

That's gotta hurt!grinning smiley

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 4, 2009 12:16

GeneGenie
Lets say those unfounded rumors are true, and the Rolling Stones do record new music, or at the very least re-work outtakes from the last 3 or 4 albums. Who would you like to do the producing? And would you be satisfied/excited to hear it was Don Was?

My Pick: Ethan Johns, son of Glynn, and producer of the best releases by Ryan Adams and Kings of Leon. The guy has got an ear for dirt nasty rock and roll. The kind the Stones perfected.

I suspect they'll stick with Don Was. I'd personally get Chris Kimsey back in, because he did a great job on Tattoo You.

Posted by: Brano ()
Date: July 4, 2009 12:25

Ethan Johns definitely. Also that guy Jack Frost isn't bad... winking smiley

Posted by: brokenhands ()
Date: July 4, 2009 13:52

I'm pretty critical of any of my favorite artists work. If it's crap, I say so.

I thought Bigger Bang was a damn fine album. I totally loathe B2B - lame attempts to seem contemporary.

If they can make an album as good as ABB, I welcome it. Or make a Jagger solo album - I urge them to continue being creative.

As far as ruining their legacy, they are far beyond the point of ANYTHING doing that. If sharing a stage with that pussy Justin Timberlake didn't do it, NOTHING can.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:21

I thought i read (on here?) that Rick Rubin had said that he found it very difficult to work with Jagger, that they had fought quite a lot. So would that rule him out of a future Stones project?

Ona related theme, anyone know about the unreleased King King disc Rubin and Jagger put together?

Rubin urges Jagger to . . .

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:35

mick n keith should do it themselves, they may have a surprise for us all with some glorious results

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 4, 2009 18:38

"that guy Jack Frost isn't bad."
What a great idea : Dylan (aka Frost) producing the Stones : one mike to record the WHOLE band, a handful of takes, and an album in the bag in 2 afternoons hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-04 18:38 by dcba.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 4, 2009 19:36

brokenhands
I'm pretty critical of any of my favorite artists work. If it's crap, I say so.

I thought Bigger Bang was a damn fine album. I totally loathe B2B - lame attempts to seem contemporary.

If they can make an album as good as ABB, I welcome it. Or make a Jagger solo album - I urge them to continue being creative.

As far as ruining their legacy, they are far beyond the point of ANYTHING doing that. If sharing a stage with that pussy Justin Timberlake didn't do it, NOTHING can.

I pretty much agree with this, imo ABB is so much stronger than B2B, and the Stones having JT on stage seems all wrong to me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home