Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Guitar Amp Question
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 2, 2009 09:10

Hi

I'm looking to buy a new guitar amp. I've been looking at the Fender '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue or the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Does any one have any experience of these amps. I found an amp builder across the pond in Florida Vintage Sound Amps who will build basically the Princeton with point to point wiring for roughly the same money as the Fender Princeton. Help please what shall I do?

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Re: OT Guitar Amp Question
Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 2, 2009 09:28

Princeton Reverb reissue is a gem. Just got one. All u will ever need regardless if u play at home, record, or perform at clubs (can always mic it for bigger venues). 15 watts is plenty with a tube amp. This amp has reverb and trem. And also is perfect amp for getting the most out of any pedal. Love this amp. Have been through Marshalls, Various Fenders, Crates, etc. This amp is the absolute best. Super clean tone. A Fender classic.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 2, 2009 14:29

Both are fantastic amps, no doubt about that. I personally prefer the Deluxe Reverb, as the 12" speaker is a tad bigger sounding, with a little more bass and sparkle. But it would mainly depends on your need for wattage which amp to choose. I personally find the Princeton lacking in power when you have a loud drummer.

These new reissue's are great, but if you like tinkering and upgrading you could also think about getting 1970's versions, for basically the same price. The benefit is that these are point-to-point, and are easier to upgrade with better caps and whatever.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2009 15:08

Thanks Mathijs

I was thinking anyway of upgrading the speaker in the Princeton anyway up to a 12". Apparently the trem circuit on the Deluxe is different to that of the Princeton. But I wonder what the differences are in sound?

NickB

Posted by: Kaj Voodoo ()
Date: July 2, 2009 16:45

NickB:
The Fender De Luxe amp is one of my absolute favourites!!!
Borrowed an old 60ies De Luxe from a friend- WOW! sounded- not surprisingly-
Fantastic!!!
Recommend that one! And you have enough power for clubgigs, studio, upmicing into PA.
And remember: if you "upgrade" or rebuild the amp- make sure you can put it in original shape! Otherwise the worth of the amp goes dooooown.
One thing more: De luxe and other "open-back-Combos" spread the sound both forwards and backwards. A separate amptop with closed speaker enclosure spread the sound only forwards- and more powerfully forwards.
And: If you look at the Wattage figures of different amps: Remember that it´s not the Wattfigures that says how loud it is- it´s the dB´lls. (Decibel´s) Example:
A 50 watt amp has NOT double volume than a 25 watt amp!
And I agree with "out of my head" & "Mathijs"- the reissues are great!!!
I´d like to own a De Luxe Rev also..... but have a greatsounding Marshall JCM 800 (50 watt) with an old Marshall 4x12, 100w "Greenbacks" cab from 1970.
Good luck with your ampchoice!!!!

Kaj Voodoo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 3, 2009 00:23

NickB
Thanks Mathijs

I was thinking anyway of upgrading the speaker in the Princeton anyway up to a 12". Apparently the trem circuit on the Deluxe is different to that of the Princeton. But I wonder what the differences are in sound?

If you want to put a 12" driver in a Princeton you will need to replace the baffle board, and be carefull with the make of the driver as most have the magnet sticking out too far so it will not fit due to the placement of the valves.

Personally I like the combination of 12" driver and larger size cabinet of the Deluxe over the Princeton. The Deluxe basically sounds more 3D, the reverb and tremelo seems more spacious than the Princeton. If I would describe the sonic differences a Princeton can sound a little more stiff and alive than a Deluxe Reverb. But then again, a Princeton sounds fantastic as well.

Mathijs

Date: July 6, 2009 12:49

Guys thanks for all your advice. Yesterday I bought off ebay a 65 deluxe reverb reissue. Looks new but here's the kicker I paid £525 against the cheapest new which is £799. It's been retubed and biased by Simon Law who is the amp guru for Guitarist magazine! It sounds bloody awesome & I love it. Can get great Keef sounds out of it as well!

NickB

Date: July 6, 2009 13:06

I was totally Fender amp man for years and years. Big and small, tubes, solid st. Thing with Fender amps IMO is that they are the best at being that: the Fender sound. Not good for modern day crunch. The newer day smaller ones with all the built in samples got it now.
Tried Marshalls and hated them. Great amps, not my thing.
The worst amp in the world to me are Roland. Man do I hate that sound!
Went with Vox; the 2x12; but also the Valvetronix line, which I like. Line6...might as well get a keyboard.
Someone posted a clip with that new Ampeg. Loved that sound; but they are xpensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-06 13:28 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: July 6, 2009 13:10

Hi P R 2000 that was me who posted the clip. You can get an Ampeg j-20 from streetsounds in Brooklyn, NYC for about $470 US. Just go on aby and you'll find it. I was so tempted myself.

NickB

Date: July 6, 2009 13:21

Thanks Nick. I really did not even pursue it too seriously because I don;t really need an amp at the moment. But hey - a good amp is a good amp. And that amp sounded good.
You know what sways me with that amp too? I really like the way that dude who does the demos for those guys plays. LOL I am embarrassed to admit it; often those demo guys are shredders (which I hate), b ut this guy is pretty good.
The price you quote is not bad. I glanced at a price somewhere and saw over a Grand, and said "No thanks".
The more I think about it...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 6, 2009 13:22

NickB
Guys thanks for all your advice. Yesterday I bought off ebay a 65 deluxe reverb reissue. Looks new but here's the kicker I paid £525 against the cheapest new which is £799. It's been retubed and biased by Simon Law who is the amp guru for Guitarist magazine! It sounds bloody awesome & I love it. Can get great Keef sounds out of it as well!

Nice bit of kit, Nick!
You'll be playing with The T-Birds, before you know it!

Date: July 6, 2009 13:27

Nick, you are right. I am puzzled: on ebay they are new with warranty, and are all going for 470. The dealer who I have always had only great xperience and prices with is selling the exact same amp for 850. ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 01:12 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: July 6, 2009 14:07

Adrian-L
NickB

Nice bit of kit, Nick!
You'll be playing with The T-Birds, before you know it!

Yeah and in my dreams I'll have Ronnies job as well!! ;-)

NickB

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 6, 2009 14:55

Congrats Nick. you got yourself a great little amp and a nice deal.
...and how cool is that?
"It was recently re-valved and biased by Simon Law (contributor for Guitarist Magazine and Matt Schofield's amp tech)"

what valves did he use?

that will be my next amp too, ....when i can afford it.

Date: July 6, 2009 15:11

Interestingly Groove tubes in the power and rectifier stages. I'll to describe the sound/tone. 3D is probably the best description. Sparkly yet warm. Just lovely!

NickB

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: July 6, 2009 16:39

NickB

Congrats with a killer amp!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: July 7, 2009 11:42

Thanks Audun

Took the amp to a jam night last night and a drummer friend of mine who plays with Gwyn Ashton said that my amp "sounds way, way better than that crappy Marshall" the other guitar player was using. But hey what does a drummer know they just hit things winking smiley

NickB

Date: July 7, 2009 13:19

I am definitely not an expert on Marshalls, but in my experience they don't work so well with certain guitars and setups. If you're Slash and you play that style through a Les Paul they are perfect. But some of these Austin Tx. pickers e.g. would not sound too good though a Marshall.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 7, 2009 14:50

all of texas and new orleans and chicago is all FENDER .

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 7, 2009 15:02

audun-eg
Congrats with a killer amp!

Thats quite a tone you got there on that "Final Dance" tune, Audun. Nice!
What guitar/amp/pedal combo did you use? Kind of Keith soundy, with a little less hair.

RB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home