Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Best Song On 'The Disastrous' Black And Blue
Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 3, 2009 20:16

T&A
if the title on this thread was, "The Smartest of the Three Stooges," I would have said Moe...

The smartest Stooge was Larry Fine. Moe Howard admitted it in many episodes. He always said to Larry "You're pretty smart for an inbecile!" Larry's best stupid moment was when he nutted up in "Disorder in the Court".

Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: July 3, 2009 20:17

Oh, and Larry would have loved Hand Of Fate.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 3, 2009 20:24

Moe was just being humble in that self-effacing way of his. Moe. or moe. period.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2009 20:29

I prefer the Marx Brothers, but if I had to choose I would choose Moe. He's the sensible one.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 3, 2009 20:32

As for weakest song on BLACK & BLUE, I'd vote for a tie between "Melody" and "Fool To Cry" both of which I could have lived without. The rest is good to excellent.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: July 3, 2009 21:09

The weakest song on Black and Blue? That's easy, all of them!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:05

Disastrous you need to clean your ears out,its a great album.

Foot to cry,Hey Negrita,Memory motel ...wow

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:25

'Black and Blue'? That old piece of crap record? Let's see.. I like 'Hot Stuff' and 'Memory Motel.' I love 'Hand of Fate,' 'Hey Negrita,' 'Oh Cherry,' and 'Crazy Mama' is one of my all-time favorite Stones' tunes. Too bad that album is so bad.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:29

Sounds like you like most of it!

Date: July 3, 2009 22:36

Sarcasm my dear Stargroover, sarcasm. I think all of those 70s Stones records are good by any standard, unless you want to unfairly compare them to the masterpieces released from 68-72. And unfortunately I think a lot of people did, but as time goes on those albums sound better and better. As I've stated before, Black and Blue was not an album I got into right away. It took years. It grows as I do, just like 'It's Only Rock and Roll' and 'Goats Head.' All three contain some great music that is waiting to be rediscovered by some hip DJ or filmmaker. I still believe that Ted Demme's use of 'Can't You Hear Me Knockin' in his film BLOW, helped put that song back in the Stones' setlist.

As far as my pleasant re-discoveries, I may feel the same way about 'Dirty Work' one day. I'll probably be well into my senior years, in a diaper, and delusional, but whatever.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 00:58 by GeneGenie.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: July 4, 2009 13:59

If you make VL and B2B an 8 track album they are as great as B&B.

Posted by: rsk45 ()
Date: July 4, 2009 16:04

Hand of Fate

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:49

GenieGenie - that has got to be one of the funniest things I've read here all year - that you might feel the "same way about 'Dirty Work' one day" as you do GHS and IORR.

To even mention Dirty Work on the same page as GHS and IORR is grounds for a whoopin'.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 4, 2009 21:10

its close but i will go with hand of fate

Date: July 5, 2009 01:01

skipstone - You wouldn't "whoop" a man with a plastic hip and a foot wound that won't heal who tends his herb garden while humming 'One Hit To the Body,' would you? Not saying I wouldn't deserve it, but still...

Date: July 5, 2009 04:02

Just keep yer Dirty garden Work out of it GeneGenie and everything will be just fine.

Er, well - update Rewind with One Hit and Harlem Shuffle and we're all good. And I won't whoop yer plastic hip or yer Chinese boots while yer tokin' yer herb...

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: July 5, 2009 13:21

@ skipstone. Dirty work has some great moments, more than Steel wheels f.i.

Date: July 5, 2009 15:54

Jamesjagger - SO WHAT. It still isn't worthy to mention with GHS, IORR as well as B&B in the same sentence!

And SW doesn't have such awful garbage as Back To Zero and Winning Ugly on it - it just has regular garbage like Continental Drift and RAAHP.

Date: July 5, 2009 17:46

<To even mention Dirty Work on the same page as GHS and IORR is grounds for a whoopin'.>

Maybe something is wrong with my ears, but I find lots of stuff on DW more interesting and swinging than that of IORR, even though one of my favourites (IYCRM) is on the album.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 5, 2009 18:29

I disliked Black & Blue for years, but began listening to it a couple of years ago. It sounds much better than I remember. Biggest attraction for me, is that it is the best sounding album from that period - guitars and drums have great presence -- listen to Charlie's toms during the fade of "Memory Motel". I think B&B and Some Girls sound the best from this period. GHS and IORR sound muffled, and Tattoo You, while it's a great album, has that early 80's mixing that doesn't really sound like the Stones. The material on B&B could have been stronger - Melody is probably my least favorite song, but nothing is unlistenable.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 5, 2009 18:50

GHS and IORR sound muffled, and Tattoo You, while it's a great album, has that early 80's mixing that doesn't really sound like the Stones. The material on B&B could have been stronger - Melody is probably my least favorite song, but nothing is unlistenable.

..agreed...I heard Dance Little Sister the other day and it really does sound muffly, and Tattoo You has an ambience that seems a little too antiseptic for my tastes

..but I like Melody a lot, on B&B, but I am not real big on Cherry Oh Baby or Fool To Cry

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 5, 2009 19:13

also songs like slave and worried about you could have been included on BLACK N BLUE which would have made it even better

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home