Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT: The Black Crowes: I Ain't Hiding
Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 7, 2009 20:23

''Taylor Era - thanks very much for your detailed reply. I liked what I heard on YouTube. Maybe I'll get that compilation you mentioned as that's how I began with the Stones (good old Hot Rocks!).

Yes there is a vast ocean of crap faux-rock/indie pretenders out, mostly just soulless, short-term multinational media company product. Nickelback, Kid Rock, the appalling Pink, all turds polluting the punchbowl of creativity!''

..yer welcome, man

..the appalling Pink! grinning smiley

and don't forget Lady Gaga!

Nickleback is (I hate to admit) Canadian and a blight on the Canadian musical landscape. I tend to not take seriously any bands with poodle-headed, tuneless, repetitive misogynist lead singers that barely know three (barre) chords on guitar.

I like your pants around your feet
I like the dirt that’s on your knees
I like the way you say please
When you’re looking up at me
I love the way you can’t say no
I love the powder on your nose
I love your lack of self-respect
When you’re passed out on the deck
I love my hands around your neck
- (disturbed, derogatory,and frankly just f*cken idiotic Nickelback lyrics)

The guy in Tragically Hip (singer and songwriter/lyricist Gord Downie) creates landscapes with his lyrics and unlike a vile sexist dunce like Nickelback's Chad Kroger, Downie is actually capable of rational thought;

Q: You are a supporter of environmental issues, especially of water rights. Why?

Downie: You mean Waterkeeper? I think the health of our water is tied to a lot: to the health of our communities, hence our economy, the health of our basic human rights. I grew up on the lake and my tie to it came naturally. Our water laws are as old as the hills; they’re strong and they’re toothsome, and because they are so effective, I guess I can’t blame these guys who are trying to defang them. But these water laws, whether under the Fisheries Act or the Navigable Waters Protection Act, are there to protect what is rightfully ours. Our waterways belong to all of us, and for me to relearn this simple fact was life-changing. Our environment does not stand in the way of progress or stimulus. It is progress. A healthy environment and a healthy economy are not antithetical to one another. They are one. Waterkeeper Alliance gets results. They remind polluters of the good laws that are on the books and they remind everyone else of the treasures of our heritage.

..some musicians have more on their minds than raping passed out women; ya know?

Downie is a real lyricist, and unlike a tool like Kroger, he doesn't have to rely on the KISS 'A-B-C Textbook of Rhyming." (Lesson #1 - "'Knees' rhymes with 'please' and 'tease.'") On second thought, Nickelback lyrics are even shittier, stupid, and more demeaning to women than KISS lyrics.

Gord Downie Lyric example: ('Fiddler's Green')

September Seventeen
For a girl I know, it's Mother's Day
Her son has gone alee
And that's where he will stay.
Wind on the weathervane
Tearing, blue-eyed sailor-mean
As Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a boy in Fiddler's Green.

His tiny knotted heart
Well I guess it never worked too good
The timber tore apart
And the water gorged the wood.
You can hear her whispered prayer
For men at masts that always lean
That the same wind that moves her hair
Moves her boy through Fiddler's Green.

Nothing's changed anyway
Nothing's changed anyway
Any time today.

He doesn't know a soul
And there's nowhere that he's really been
But he won't travel long alone
No, not in Fiddler's Green.
Balloons all filled with rain
As children's eyes turn sleepy-mean
And Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a boy in Fiddler's Green.

Bands like Tragically Hip and Blue Rodeo, both veteran acts lasting over 20 years - although barely known outside of Canada - truly represent the best of the Canadian scene. These are bands that just dont give a shit about 'trends' or market demographics. They just write and play music, that's all.

Let me know what you think of 'Yer Favorites.' Fans picked the tunes for the record, not the band or the record company. There are many others that don't appear on it that I would have picked. These guys are a band with depth. For sure my favorite band of the 1990's. It's probably as good a starting point as any. It goes from 1989 to 2004, although the band has released two more records since then, and no songs from them are on Yer Favorites. (World Container 2006 and We Are The Same 2009)

With the Tragically Hip, like with any good band, many of their best tracks are the deep album tracks, and along with the rock and roll, you get real, honest, thought-provoking lyrics from an intelligent songwriter and lyricist.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 20:33 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 8, 2009 11:11

I forgot Lady GaGa! And I also forgot to slam mega doofus Lilly Allen. Unfortunately the UK is responsible for a large amount of this production line crap. There are hordes of fake, contrived bands out there that are crude facsimiles of hard working, self-promoting bands with real talent. There have been many great bands who deserved the limelight but never got it - Husker Du and The Replacements spring to mind.

For me, Morrisey has always written fantastic lyrics although I was never a Smiths fan when they were together. I also rate Robert Smith highly.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: July 8, 2009 12:03

it's amazing how many "cool people" in Finland have fallen for Lily Allen, the "alternative" station, Radio Helsinki, plays her all the time. They don't play the Black Crowes too often (tho' they played "I Ain't Hiding" the other day - "someone" requested it winking smiley )

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 8, 2009 14:55

I got a feeling 'I Aint't Hiding' will get some attention here in Europe. The last singles from Warpaint got no attention at all.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 8, 2009 15:57

Taylor Era

"Bands like Tragically Hip and Blue Rodeo, both veteran acts lasting over 20 years - although barely known outside of Canada - truly represent the best of the Canadian scene."

Umn...Tragically Hip is considered by (many if not most) Americans to be a derivative poor man's R E M. They and Blue Rodeo representing the best of the Canadian scene is lost on the U.S., Rush, The Guess Who and Nickleback are the only 'Canadian' bands that get any airplay. Rush by the way gets the least of that airplay, and is considered a large-fringe band with a cult following...def not mainstream, or considered indie good.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 8, 2009 17:56

Child Of Clay
it's amazing how many "cool people" in Finland have fallen for Lily Allen, the "alternative" station, Radio Helsinki, plays her all the time. They don't play the Black Crowes too often (tho' they played "I Ain't Hiding" the other day - "someone" requested it winking smiley )

Child of Clay - Lily Allen is a middle class product of a stage school education with a father who is a well-known English actor. She sings about how WAGS are shallow idiots when she is often seen clad head to toe in designer clothes. Anyhoo, she's just more forgetable pop who will soon be, as they said in Spinal Tap, residing in the 'Where are they now?" file.

Date: July 8, 2009 20:43

..(in the U.S.), Rush, The Guess Who and Nickleback are the only 'Canadian' bands that get any airplay

..that's your loss, dude

Tragically Hip is considered by (many if not most) Americans to be a derivative poor man's R E M.

..and that, ladies and gentlemen, is just another example of Americans not having a clue; Tragically Hip sounds nothing like REM, and never has. REM couldn't rock like Tragically Hip if their life depended on it. The Tragically Hip also has better records. I have the entire Hip catalogue and I think three REM records; most of their records bore me to tears. The only REM record that can even close to 'comparing' to a Hip record is Document, and even that does rock near as hard as Hip records.

Hell, the US thinks Nickleback are good. When nobody in the US was buying Steve Earle records, Canadians were, and he broke here first. Canadians tend to gravitate towards the major songwriters and artists, and throw off the fluff and the poseurs like Nickleback, Celine Dion (whom we've practically disowned) and pop tarts like Bryan Adams.

Comparisons are odious, but if you hear it or see it, fine. Influence is hard to measure, and inspiration comes in all shapes. I've always liked R.E.M. because, like so many things I like, they exude a warmth; I like to think that we do too. - (Gord Downie - Tragically Hip)

Below - listen to the Tragically Hip - sounds 'just like REM!!' LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-08 20:45 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 8, 2009 21:16

Disclaimer: This individual's opinions are solely his/her own and in no way reflect the opinions of all Canadians.

Date: July 8, 2009 21:44

This individual's opinions are solely his/her own and in no way reflect the opinions of all Canadians

...LOL ..must be a Nickleback fan

dude, you can speak for yourself, but for all Canadians?? LOL Are you saying all Canadian's think Tragically Hip is a 'poor man's REM??'

eye rolling smiley

Please do some homework before entering the fray, because the biggest selling records by REM in Canada were Out of Time and Automatic For the People at 750,000 each

Most of REM's albums sold between 100,000 to 250,000 copies here; less than that since 2000

Meanwhile, the Tragically Hip's first four records all sold over 1 million copies (diamond status) each in Canada; REM has exactly 0 diamand status records in Canada - and the Hip's most recent records (since 2000) outsell REM in this period by a mile

Eight Tragically Hip records debuted at #1 on Canadian charts; exactly 0 REM records accomplished that

Yep, so Canadians buy these Hip records like this because they are a 'poor man's REM?' Seems if that were true, they'd be buying a lot more REM records as well.

Dont make me laugh.

Date: July 8, 2009 22:31

You seem like the type of guy who has to get the last word in, so...back to you !

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 8, 2009 22:43

No seem - are.

Date: July 8, 2009 23:18

hey look, it's not about the 'last word', it's about the quality of them

and I apologize for making you look so foolishly uniformed ..the 'opinion' of Canadians is proven to be totally counter to your dumbass generic claim that the Hip are REM soundalikes, as Canadian record buyers clearly prefer the distinct sound of the Tragically Hip over REM's sound .. as illustrated in my last post...so in the future, whilst preparing your own 'last word', try to reply and respond in counterpoint if you can.. and if not capable of that ..which seems apparent .. bugger off hand-in-hand, the both of you, perhaps .... as your posts seem to have neither any intrinsic, insightful or entertainment value ..or in fact posess any redeeming social quality whatsoever

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-08 23:20 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 8, 2009 23:24

I am currently not wearing a uniform.

Date: July 9, 2009 01:38

I am currently not wearing a uniform.

.....probably because your shift at McDonalds doesn't start for another hour

...if the Tragically Hip are 'REM soundalikes' .... and according to you most Canadians apparently have this opinion .... (an opinioned based strictly on heresay, of course) then why do Hip records outsell REM records in Canada, a country where both acts are well known.. ?? Seems to me if the Hip 'sound like' REM, then REM should sell a lot more records in Canada than they do.. especially to Hip fans.. but that doesn't happen ..

there's a reason for that.. the only valid reason to compare the Hip to REM is because both singers have no hair; other than that there really is no comparison; fer cryin out loud .. Tragically Hip have two guitarists who operate in the 'ancient art of weaving' style more akin to early era Stones than anything.. REM has only one dude on guitar.. and I've yet to draw any connection to Buck's style to early era Stones.. and the Hip's early style evoked swampy, sweaty smoky blues ..territory as mined by early Black Crowes...if you think REM is a blues band at heart yer madder than I thought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-09 01:40 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 9, 2009 11:21

I've never noticed any Stones guitar similarities in REM. Indeed I'd say that Peter Buck's style is more influenced by jangly 60s bands like The Byrds with a good dollop of country & western.

Date: July 9, 2009 12:46

I like the Crowes alright. I think they are a top live band, they can perform the sh*t out of any stage. And I think Chris is a fine singer/frontman. Rich plays pretty decent; in the Tele/Keith school of guitar.
The main drawback with the Crowes is, and has always been IMO that they don't have a writer. There isn't someone with the gift of melody; or strong hooks. Chris might be the best one. I still think the worst move they made was to get rid of Marc Ford. The second album is their best; they would have only gotten better. And might have written their very own timeless hits. Why do they keep covering so much old hits? It is great to carry on the traditions but some of that is because they know a good song; and don't have that much to draw on themselves. Will there ever be anyone covering timeless Crowes hits? By now they should have put them up.

Date: July 9, 2009 12:57

^ Marc stayed for Amorica and Three Snakes which are great, great albums, He's also on Tall and Band, the "unreleased albums" available as Lost Crowes (Tall recorded before Amorica with some of the same songs). He didn't write but of course his playing affected the arrangements. On his solo efforts he's not a great songwriter. Today the Crowes have a fantastic lead guitarist in Luther Dickinson, no need to pine after Marc Ford.
The problem with the Crowes is that the general public (at least those who were around in the 90's) knows them from the hits from those first 2 albums, and don't get that the band just took a different route.
They've had trouble getting signed because the labels have wanted to bring in outside writers, but hey, the Crowes aren't Aerosmith.
They haven't recorded that many covers, they play a lot of them live. More variation than warhorses. Then again they're not exactly burdened by hits, which just might be a blessing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-09 13:00 by Child Of Clay.

Date: July 9, 2009 13:23

<I still think the worst move they made was to get rid of Marc Ford.>

he chose to quit due to his drug habit, no?

Date: July 9, 2009 14:31

DandelionPowderman
<I still think the worst move they made was to get rid of Marc Ford.>

he chose to quit due to his drug habit, no?

He was "let go" in 1997 due tio his drug problems, and quit to stay sober in 2006.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 9, 2009 19:23

Their show in OH was fantastic! Firstly, the warm up band, can't remember the name, a guy's name, was fantastic and Chris came out and did a Sugar Ree. Great version! Rat Dog wasn't that great, and Bob is really struggling with his singing. But they did do a few really good tunes. A great version of Jack Straw. The Crowes were phenomenal, and they really seemed into being in OH again. They opened with Good Friday, great long version. Did my favorite, Another Road Side Tragedy! YAY! Great version. They did quite a few from Three Snakes, which is ok by me! Great version of Girl From the Pawnshop. All in all a great show!

Date: July 13, 2009 05:27

My post wasn't meant to focus on Marc Ford or Luther; both great guitar players.
My point is that IMo the weak spot of the Crowes is the writing. They are a reasonably successful band; but they could have been timeless. All the parts in place, just no songs.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 13, 2009 14:30

Palace Revolution 2000
My post wasn't meant to focus on Marc Ford or Luther; both great guitar players.
My point is that IMo the weak spot of the Crowes is the writing. They are a reasonably successful band; but they could have been timeless. All the parts in place, just no songs.

So, what about the songs on Southern Harmony and Amorica?

Date: July 13, 2009 18:39

Mr Edward - they are really good songs. Those two albums are by far my fave Crowes albums. Look, I like the Crowes. I think they are a tough band.
What I am saying is : if they had one with the gift of melody amongst them they could have been huge. That's all.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 23:41

Melody?? Wow, I hear lots of it. Man Descending is pure perfect rock ballading. Sounds so exile...and faces, but also something very new. Their southern twist on melody matching the down beat and the vocals. Cursed Diamond. Thorn in My Pride. Whew, enough to knock me out.

Date: July 15, 2009 02:11

Check out Chris's second solo album "This Magnification Distance" from 2004.
Surgical Glove and Sea of Love are great. Both musically & lyrically.

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 15, 2009 03:02

I don't think, and I might be wrong, that Palace Rev. is knocking the lyrics and melody on those two records (Southern Harmony and Amorica). As a 20+ year fan of this band, the lyrics have suffered since AMORICA. It began on 3 SNAKES, and got progressively worse and then real real bad with LIONS. WARPAINT was a step up, and hopefully the new one will be even better. The lyrics to I Ain't Hiding are promising in my opinion.

This is also a band that I think has become very comfortable with what and who they are, and for me WARPAINT was kind of a new beginning.

I caught them this past weekend (July 11) at the Forecastle Fest in Louisville. They opened with the best live version of "Half Way to Everywhere" I've ever heard them do, but could not keep the momentum. Chris was in fine form and sounded better than the last few times I've caught them. As for Luther, he's amazing. He's the first guitarist they've had that you can actually hear in the live mix, and Rich doesn't step all over. I was very excited when Ford rejoined the band a few years ago, but on the few shows I caught, he was always lost in the mix. Just like Audley Freed, another fine guitarist they wasted. On the other hand, I will agree with all the haters on the BC message boards, I thought the keyboardist dropped the ball on several songs, especially THORN IN MY PRIDE.

I'm still buying the new album. It's just sounds too interesting. Recorded in Levon Helm's barn/studio in front of a small live audience.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 18, 2009 19:06

Hey....saw the Black Crowes last night in Waukesha, Wisconsin. Great show!
Thanks for the heads-up on the free download. No Stones covers...no TORN & FRAYED or Can't You Hear Me KNockin'.
Here's the new one..live from Waukesha!

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 02:39 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 20, 2009 19:18

Loved the free song download from the Crowes. Great listening!

And thoroughly agree as to the greatness of Southern Harmony.

Are they a copy of 69-74 Stones. Yes, but everyone copies everyone else so who cares?

As someone already posted, see it as an homage and a compliment to the RS!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: July 29, 2009 02:40

Here's the new one..live from Waukesha. (I was 15th row center)
(i did NOT shoot this video)

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-29 02:41 by sweet neo con.

Date: August 26, 2009 11:41

the new album(s) will be in stores next week, and with a 4/5-review in MOJO my expectations are higher than ever. Here's a choice quote from that review by James McNair:

"Two fine records without a duff track between them, then, the overall mood somewhere between Exile on Main Street, Physical Graffiti, and Music From Big Pink."
...and of course the Stones are mentioned in the same sentence as "I Ain't Hiding"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-26 11:42 by Child Of Clay.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home