Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: The Black Crowes: I Ain't Hiding
Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:30

''unfortunately, most of your posts are highly one sided, and opinionated. You don't like the crowes, so it is pointless trying to argue points of who is better etc...''

everybody's posts here are opinionated and one sided - in favour of the Stones.. and that's fine by me

..but I'm not here to slam the Crowes or anybody, but I have reasons for my opinions, they aren't half-baked ones.. these guys terribly disappointed 15,000 fans last summer with a detached, lacklustre performance without an encore.. and it bothers me when one band that is basically a relatively average band which is so eclipsed both in the studio and on stage by other lesser known bands - is so phenomenally revered ..it makes no sense at all

For me. The Crowes are a great working r and r band...and I am seeing them Sunday in OH! YAY! I Can't wait! Loud raucous rock and roll on my fourth weekend. YAY!

..have fun; for me, I wouldn't ever again pay another nickel to see them

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-03 22:32 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:44

....And the Black Crowes debate goes on and on and on. Where's Heiloobas to weigh in on how much they suck ? For me, I saw them last summer as well, here in Victoria, and it was a great show. The crowd hung on every note, the cover of The Mighty Quinn had everyone singing along, Oh Josephine from the last album was transcendent, there was a lengthy encore and the band seemed to be loving it, but that's just my take. Oh yeah, and as much as I loved Marc Ford and Eddie Hawrysch, the two new guys, Luther Dickinson (what a freakin' slide player) and Adam Mcdougall ( organ vamps at the end of Josephine made me want to cry) proved to be excellent additions. Bought the Instant Live cds of the gig and the TAPE DON'T LIE !

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 3, 2009 22:48

Finally! Someone who appreciates Dickinson's contributions to that band. I nearly squealed like a little girl when I heard he was joining the Crowes, however, to my surprise, most Crowes fans don't like the guy. I even heard someone say something as blasphemous as "that guy plays too much slide, can't he play anything else?" Some people, I swear...

Date: July 3, 2009 23:06

But the way he plays that slide, good God ! Sounds great sans slide as well, of course. Do most Crowes fans really not like him, GeneGenie ? Damn, that's a shame, I don't really check any Crowes message boards or anything but maybe I will just out of curiosity.

Date: July 3, 2009 23:33

I only know that word on the Black Crowes' message boards is usually negative concerning Luther. But we wouldn't know anything about negativity over here, would we?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 3, 2009 23:57

oh boy! Finally, some good support from fellow music fans! People who are into rock and positive! Great reading folks. I love Dickinson! He is a astounding addition and brings that slide touch that adds a whole new dimension to new and older songs. I am so psyched about the show this weekend. I live in Asia so don't get a chance to see the boys very often!
I also must say they have been releasing great stuff for the fans! The Freak n' Roll dvd is amazing. The best version of Only Halfway to Everywhere on it! SUBLIME! And the double disc of unreleased. ANother DVD. and now a double disc coming soon! Great to see them back into their groove!!

Date: July 4, 2009 02:27

Movin' On Down The Line
Goodbye Daughters Of The Revolution
Sting Me
A Conspiracy
Walk Believer Walk
Oh Josephine
Poor Elijah - Tribute To Johnson (Medley)
God's Got It
Thorn In My Pride
Soul Singing
Hard To Handle
Wounded Bird ..

there's the set list from the Crowes show I saw last summer.. 15,000 people, 12 songs, no encore

not impressive

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: July 4, 2009 12:42

^ probably those 15.000 were just like you: only know one or three Crowes-songs... how's THAT for writing about something you don't know?
If you know your Crowes and still didn't enjoy the show I'm sorry you caught them on an off night.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 4, 2009 12:55

Never understood why people slag off the Crowes for playing the kind of music we all like. So what if it's clear where they got their inspiration? It still makes for some great old fashioned rock 'n roll.

Imagin Ronnie playing the slide only half as good as Luther or Chuck creating the same warm organ sound as Adam does (and Eddie did). Or Keith sticking to the rhythym as Rich Robinson always does. Yes, if the Black Crowes resemble the Stones, then it's the Stones 1969-1974.

Last but not least: take a look at their setlists. In 2006 they played three gigs at the Paradiso Club in Amsterdam and didn't play a single track twice!

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: July 4, 2009 20:11

I just heard the song and it is a departure from their most recent stuff. My wife asked who it was and when I informed her it was BC she said really. She's not a big fan of them to start with. I'm totally into BC because they are simple and the shows are pure music. No gimmicks. I found out they will be playing in Phoenix, my backyard, and I am totally stoked. I can't wait for the new album. The energy from Chris and the boys is great. I wish I could see them more often.

Date: July 4, 2009 22:43

Never understood why people slag off the Crowes for playing the kind of music we all like.

..because so many other lesser known bands can play it just as good if not better, and without all the drama

Yes, if the Black Crowes resemble the Stones, then it's the Stones 1969-1974.

..and that is good? resemblance may be a form of flattery, but it sure aint the real thing

probably those 15,000 were just like you: only know one or three Crowes-songs... how's THAT for writing about something you don't know?

lol.. that's really funny; i dont shoot off the cuff dude, I have several crowes records, most of them, probably, including their last; and the ones I dont have - I heard and didnt like enough to buy, I have listened to them from the beginning of their career until now, and I draw my conclusions from that

nice effort though

by comparison of course, for example you've clearly never heard of Tragically Hip, because if you had - you wouldn't think the crowes are so good

so, go educate yourself then get back to me and we'll talk

smileys with beer

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-04 22:47 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 5, 2009 00:36

again like I said, your opinion is closed. Tragically Hip?? Sorry the Crowes scavenger their stage corps. No comparison, the Crowes rock harder and with more interest in my book. All your arguments are not fact based but opinion, yet written like fact. To crowes fans you won't sway them with your petty arguments, so why even post where the fans are having a good conversation about their merits. Seems strange to me.

Date: July 5, 2009 01:15

''Tragically Hip??

lol ..'nuff said, right... you haven't a clue...

''the Crowes rock harder''

..than the Hip?? are you kidding me?? it's not even close, man; ...I've seen both bands multiple times and the Hip rock harder, a lot harder, but you just dont know it ..

..and they swing better too..the Hip's rhythm section is the best I've heard since Wyman/Watts ...

..its not even close my friend

I am am not trying to compare ..but in the words of Ronnie Van Zant..'there's things out there that you don't know..'

''To crowes fans you won't sway them with your petty arguments''

..not trying to..just trying to enlighten you a bit ..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 01:20 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 5, 2009 01:16

Good Lord, could you just let this go, and let the Tragically Hip thing go ? You love them, not everyone else does, it doesn't matter, it's all subjective anyway. My personal OPINION is that they may have sounded somewhat similar earlier in their respective careers but they sound nothing at all like each other now, so why the constant comparisons ?

( Cue response with each sentence from this post cut and pasted and "refuted" one at a time)

Date: July 5, 2009 01:26

( Cue response with each sentence from this post cut and pasted and "refuted" one at a time)

ok, as you wish

You love them, not everyone else does

..not everyone likes the crowes, either, and it is ok not to..

it doesn't matter, it's all subjective anyway

...very true..it is subjective; agreed.. BUT if people here can repeatedly post about how great they think the black crowes are, I have every right to respond, aye??

they may have sounded somewhat similar earlier in their respective careers but they sound nothing at all like each other now, so why the constant comparisons ?

I dont think they ever did (sound alike) but whatever, hey? ..its all subjective..

my main obstacle is that I am debating with people that never even heard of Tragically Hip, let alone heard their records or seen them live .. I've seen and heard both..them and the Crowes..and I draw my analysis on what I've seen and heard

it aint no crime..crowes fans get so pissy

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 01:35 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 5, 2009 07:24

Did Chris or another one of the Crowes steal your woman or something ? You said "crowes fans get so pissy". You have sent a rebuttal for almost everything someone has said that was positive bout em. A little defensive dont you think. Relax, dude. Its all good rock and roll music. Resemble the Stones 69-74 ? That is so hilarious. Lets see. Yeah Shake Your Money Maker sounds identical to Let It Bleed. Couldnt get over that when it came out. And my goodness Sticky Fingers and Exile just like Southern Harmony and Three Snakes. Just mindblowing how Lions plays just like GHS or IORR. How can the Crowes get away with this obviously blatant ripoff music. Astounding. Hahahahahahahahahaahaha. Do you even have ears ? Crazy stuff my friend. By the way did you ever get to download and try Media Monkey ? Just curious.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 5, 2009 12:16

Never understood why people slag off the Crowes for playing the kind of music we all like.

..because so many other lesser known bands can play it just as good if not better, and without all the drama

So, what's your point? We're talking about the Crowes here, not about 'lesser known bands'.

Yes, if the Black Crowes resemble the Stones, then it's the Stones 1969-1974.

..and that is good? resemblance may be a form of flattery, but it sure aint the real thing.

Even if they were copycats, they chose the right era, at least for you. You're not calling yourself Woody Era, are you?

by comparison of course, for example you've clearly never heard of Tragically Hip, because if you had - you wouldn't think the crowes are so good

My opinion on the Crowes has nothing to do with the Tragically Hip. Why don't you start a new thread on them if you're so keen on discussing them.

Date: July 5, 2009 17:31

Did Chris or another one of the Crowes steal your woman or something ?

....lol... no, they are too busy stealing other people's music, sound and image for that

Lets see. Yeah Shake Your Money Maker sounds identical to Let It Bleed. Couldnt get over that when it came out.

... SYMM is perhaps the most overrated debut album of all time; it is a record of recycled 1970's blooze/boogie and when I really want to hear that sort of music, I put on Humble Pie or Faces..anyway, putting SYMM and a true classic like Let it Bleed in the same sentence is completely ludicrous

I mean, lets face it, their quintessential song, 'Hard To Handle', isnt even their own..and SYMM as a whole if anything shows the band's true limitiations as much as anything

And my goodness Sticky Fingers and Exile just like Southern Harmony and Three Snakes.

..but they are derivitive of those records and the Stones in general, and frankly there is not much if anything particularily new in either of those Crowes records ..so sure, perhaps they are taking from the correct source, but hell, these records although competent, are hardly remarkable

...same goes for Warpaint, a decent album I suppose, but hardly anything to go screaming from the mountaintops about; like the rest of their records it is rather predictable and generic

By the way did you ever get to download and try Media Monkey ? Just curious.

..yep, it worked; thanks..burned flac files to cd and it plays in all my equipment; seems like a great program

So, what's your point? We're talking about the Crowes here, not about 'lesser known bands'.

- - lol..but that IS the point; the Crowes are already talked about far too much, hyped and over hyped far too mcuh, and lesser bands every bit as good are not talked about enough

You're not calling yourself Woody Era, are you?

... by and large, that is an era I'd almost like to forget about..

My opinion on the Crowes has nothing to do with the Tragically Hip.

..they are just one example of a band that has been around as long as the Crowes yet and although every bit as good musicians as the Crowes, less derivative and more inventive than the Crowes, and every bit as hard rocking as the Crowes, and their collective output proves this .. most people never even heard of them ... maybe its because they dont marry movie stars or become involved in high profile dramas, I dunno.. and then there are bands that people have heard of, like Pearl Jam, who blow the Crowes out of the water too

..course now I'll probably get lambasted for mentioning PJ..another excellent rock band that actually dares to be more inventive than derivative

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 17:35 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 5, 2009 17:57

Hey Taylor Era, thx for mentioning The Tragically Hip. Had never heard of them before. Sounds great. A bit more in the R.E.M.-landscape though...

Date: July 5, 2009 18:41

DandelionPowderman
Hey Taylor Era, thx for mentioning The Tragically Hip. Had never heard of them before. Sounds great. A bit more in the R.E.M.-landscape though...

..hey no problem; I am not in media and marketing for them lol..but I cringe at their long history of flying under the radar every time the BC's are fawned over. Drives me nuts. Lots of rock fans never heard of them since they are Canadian and are not a staple on US radio ..or got famous riding the coattails of a song they never wrote

Keep listening.. the REM comparisons, they've always got that alot, but you'll find it probably wont hold up for long.. Tragically Hip rock a ton harder than REM could ever dream of..Midnight Oil maybe

FYI - cds

Up To Here (1989; reissued 2006)
Road Apples (1991; reissued 2004)
Fully, Completely (1992)
Day For Night (1994)
Trouble at the Henhouse (1996)
Live Between Us (1997)
Phantom Power (1998)
Music @ Work (2000)
In Violet Light (2002)
In Between Evolution (2004)
Yer Favourites (compilation, 2005)
World Container (2007)
We Are The Same (2009)

Here's a recent concert review;

[www.jambase.com]

The Tragically Hip :: 06.13.09 :: The Fillmore :: San Francisco, CA

Excerpt;

As I was flattened with a rare quickness – taken much more than willingly opened up – just a few songs into The Tragically Hip's set, I pondered aloud, "How does a band this FANTASTIC elude my attention for 16 years?" Like many music-obsessed dorks, I pride myself on having my ear to the ground, knowing the finest rumbles – past, present and future – by their slightest reverberation. My hubris was left swiftly shattered by this Canadian institution's Fillmore onslaught.

Cheers!

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 18:41 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 5, 2009 20:46

...because so many other lesser known bands can play it just as good if not better, and without all the drama

Yep, that is probably true. But true for every band. For every well-known band there are 10 "lesser knowns" that do it better. Always has been. Always will be. One could argue the Flamin' Groovies did it better than the Stones, and what about Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac? Does the fact that Green and Jeremy Spencer led one of the greatest, and at the same time, most overlooked blues/rock bands in history, mean we owe it to them not to listen to Led Zeppelin?

The Black Crowes recorded SOUTHERN HARMONY MUSICAL COMPANION. Nuff said. There will always be people who show up to Crowes shows to hear HARD TO HANDLE or SHE TALKS TO ANGELS, but the majority of us go see them because we know exactly what we're going to get: A band that attacks the stage with skank-nasty rock and roll, and a sense of where it came from and their idea of where it should go. That his hard to come by in a bar. If it were that easy I'd be at the bar 5 days-a-week as opposed to 3.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 5, 2009 21:16

Eh, The Black Crowes are a million times better - and talented - than, I dunno - Oasis is a perfect example.

Date: July 5, 2009 21:17

There will always be people who show up to Crowes shows to hear HARD TO HANDLE or SHE TALKS TO ANGELS

...who does that? those songs have been done to death and one of them they didnt even write

but the majority of us go see them because we know exactly what we're going to get

..that's probably part of the problem for me; too predictable

A band that attacks the stage with skank-nasty rock and roll

..yep, I like skank nasty rock too

Date: July 5, 2009 21:38

Actually, if you want to get down to it, AC/DC is the best. They've never bothered sounding like the Stones or the Faces or the Beatles or Led Zeppelin or whoever so... Taylor Era would like to wish there was no Ronnie Wood era.

That's HILARIOUS.

Hey Taylor Era - do you work for the forward thinking UMG?

Date: July 6, 2009 00:36

Taylor Era would like to wish there was no Ronnie Wood era.

That's HILARIOUS.

the Ronnie Wood era pretty much starts and stops at Some Girls ..

Date: July 6, 2009 04:01

You can thank Keith for that can't ya.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: July 6, 2009 10:11

Ronnie's Stones are not as good as the Rolling Stones smiling smiley

Hey Taylor Era, I'll check out Tragically Hip when I can, but IMHO there's no need to bring them in on this thread. Surely one can find tons of bands that are "arguably" as good or better than the Crowes. For my tastes there just aren't that many 90's Naughties groups that have written as good songs as the brothers Robinson.

I think they've been treated unfairly with the Stones/Faces/etc. comparisons, at least from Southern Harmony onwards they've been as original as a traditional rock band can be. Much more so than Oasis. I LOVE Oasis now, but really hated them until this year. Then I realized there's no reason to deny myself great music just because it's somewhat derivate and the people making it seem to be a**holes.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 6, 2009 14:26

Taylor Era - which Tragically Hip album would you recommend for someone owns none of their CDs?

Date: July 6, 2009 18:54

Taylor Era - which Tragically Hip album would you recommend for someone owns none of their CDs?

.. that is sorta a tough call... lets say if you'd never heard the Crowes before, where would you advise someone to start? At the beginning, in the middle? With their most recent stuff?

same thing here with Tragically Hip, since over 11 records they've diversified a lot ..and they are all good records, but different

the Tragically Hip and the Crowes started out at pretty much the same time mining the same vein, practically, the swampy blues rock type of thing, and then after a few records both expanded their horizons somewhat. The latest Hip record is damn near country..not a goofy Toby Keith or faux cowboy hat wearing country, but a Neil Youngish type of vibe

So basically with the Tragically Hip their first two records (Up To Here 1989) and (Road Apples 1991) are probably closest in comparison to 'Southern Harmony' .. [www.amazon.com] and [www.amazon.com]

..but just about anyone that likes this band cites a different record of the 11 that they've made as their favorite ..I guess mine are these two and their fourth, Day For Night 1994 [www.amazon.com]

when I 'discovered' the Stones at 16 when Some Girls came out, I started there and inevitably worked my way backwards through their back catalogue and recall periods where I listened for weeks on end to nothing but England's Newest and Rolling Stones Now, 12x5 and Out of Our Heads.

the ones I wouldnt recommend at first are Music At Work (2000), In Violet Light (2002) and In Between Evolution (2004) although that's just me, other people like some of those the best. Music at Work was a pretty large departure from what preceeded it. ..these ones are a little more of an acquired taste and are out of context without hearing what preceeded it (IMHO)

So where to start? I don't know.. at the beginning I guess...

There is a compilation 2 cd set called 'Yer Favorites' ..the tracks were fan picked over their website .. and it culls from all of their records...you dont get the same context as a complete record of course, but it is a decent overview of their career .. they should have made it a 4 cd set though..

[www.amazon.com]

and I admit I have been rough on the Crowes, but when all is said and done they are a decent rock and roll band and a whole helluva a lot better than most of the total shit that is out there (ie Nickelback) .. and I do own most of their cd's, and I like the Freakin Fog or whatever it is called DVD. That's pretty great.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 19:33 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 7, 2009 13:20

Taylor Era - thanks very much for your detailed reply. I liked what I heard on YouTube. Maybe I'll get that compilation you mentioned as that's how I began with the Stones (good old Hot Rocks!).

Yes there is a vast ocean of crap faux-rock/indie pretenders out, mostly just soulless, short-term multinational media company product. Nickelback, Kid Rock, the appalling Pink, all turds polluting the punchbowl of creativity!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home