Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: The Black Crowes: I Ain't Hiding
Date: July 1, 2009 16:33

Village People bass lines and awful off key-singing by Chris. However, I must admit that I like it smoking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:44

Koen
liddas
I myself have been a huge Black Crows fan since their debut album.

Then you should know their name is spelled Black Crowes cool smiley

I know, I know ... By the way what does Crowes mean?

C

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:46

A crow is a big black bird. Crowes is plural of crow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-01 16:47 by Koen.

Date: July 1, 2009 17:00

Koen
A crow is a big black bird. Crowes is plural of crow.

Isn't it crows? The birds, I mean.

C

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 1, 2009 17:08

I like it.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 1, 2009 20:21

''Crowes is plural of crow.''

..no it's not; the plural is 'crows'

..the BC used Crowes with an e as a tip of the hat to Aleister Crowley, some weirdo wizard type nut that dabbled in black magic and voodoo shit

jimmy page was a fan of this nutball too

so the Crowes ripped off zeppelin once again, even for their name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-01 20:22 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 1, 2009 20:27

LOL

'Crowes is plural of crow.''

Someone is now eating crow!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: July 1, 2009 20:34

Thanks alot for posting this. Love this band but dont check their site like I do with the stones. Had no idea they were coming out with a new album.

Date: July 1, 2009 20:42

Taylor Era

..the BC used Crowes with an e as a tip of the hat to Aleister Crowley, some weirdo wizard type nut that dabbled in black magic and voodoo shit

Thanks for the tip!

And trust me, rip off or not, with its ups and down, this band is a great great band. Of course they dig deep in the music they love, but that's because they do love it. Like the Stones and many others before, they follow the flow of the tradition, without being over innovative. Bands like the Stones were great, because they were with those who started the whole thing. BC now, exactly like the current Stones, are brave because they persist playing music that sounds prehistorical for most of the audiences.

C

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 1, 2009 20:44

Well, then they mislead me by putting crows on their logo's confused smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 2, 2009 00:54

Taylor Era
''I really don't get why people insist the BC are a Stones rip-off, they are a completely different band.''

..true, they ripped off the Allman Brothers, Humble Pie, Led Zeppelin, Faces and Otis Redding too

they even ripped off their clothes, look and whole image from those guys

hell the first time I heard 'Jealous Again' I remember thinking, 'I sure liked that alot better when it was called 'Tumbling Dice,' and when I heard 'Sister Luck' I remember thinking how much I liked it better when it was called 'Sway'

I don't gt how some people actually think the Black Crowes invented that whole boozy, swampy, blues/country blues riff thing

your argument is so tedious and predictable. Music is the font of sharing, and everyone uses it, interprets it, re-wires it, re- names it. Our stones did, everyone does. The Crowes are a great solid modern rock band, that are still exciting and taking chances. Great stuff. And love the stones too!

Date: July 2, 2009 02:16

Taylor Era

LOL, Are you making this up as you go along?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2009 02:34

Jealous Again - 12" picture disc

ROCKMAN

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 2, 2009 02:40

Palace Revolution 2000
Taylor Era

LOL, Are you making this up as you go along?

Definitely making this crap up. Hilarious stuff. If Taylor Era actually believes it then it is even more hilarious.

Crowes started as "Mr Crowe's Garden". Named after one of Chris' fav chilhood stories. Later changed name to Black Crowes simply because it sounded a lot cooler. Simple as that. Original guitarist Jeff Cease told me that years ago.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: July 2, 2009 07:12

didn't some genius producer want them to be "Korn Kounty Krows"? I wonder how long they would have lasted under that moniker!

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: July 2, 2009 07:30

Yes. Heard that before too. What kinda baffles me here is how someone considers Crowley a "nutball". Such intolerance. Eccentric yes. But live and let live is what I always say. Listened to Crowes new song again. Great stuff. Great guitar and overall good vibe.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 2, 2009 17:50

Aleister Crowley

Date: July 2, 2009 17:56

''Crowes started as "Mr Crowe's Garden". Named after one of Chris' fav chilhood stories. ''

..well, that's even dumber than naming yourself after a wizardly nut

''What kinda baffles me here is how someone considers Crowley a "nutball". Such intolerance. Eccentric yes''

..there's a fine line between 'eccentric' and nuts

''Music is the font of sharing, and everyone uses it, interprets it, re-wires it, re- names it. Our stones did, everyone does.''

..ya but 'our stones' took those influences and melded them into something unique.. whereas the Black Crowes started off sounding like any bar band playing the Southern Ontario club circuit, and they still do; and that some people thought then and continue to think now that these guys are the saviour of rock and roll, totally blows my mind

''The Crowes are a great solid modern rock band, that are still exciting and taking chances''.

..ahh.. to some, perhaps. to others, like me, they are redundant and not particularily exciting. the concert I saw of them last summer for example, sucked. ..no audience engagement whatsoever, not even an acknowledgement of where they were, a hello, or a tip of the hat to the 15,000 or so who bothered to show up to see them

..and as a final insult they left without an encore

not f*ckin impressive and left thousands of people with a solid reason to understand why they are so completely overrated

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-02 17:58 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 2, 2009 18:31

Yep I agree.

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: July 2, 2009 19:07

Taylor Era
... whereas the Black Crowes started off sounding like any bar band playing the Southern Ontario club circuit, and they still do;

The Black Crowes sounding like a bar band? You must be outta your mind.
Their songs, apart those from the 1st album, are the least obvious ones I heard from a contemporary rock band. IMHO they are more in the Allman Brothers league rather than the Stones.

Taylor Era
..and as a final insult they left without an encore

When you play 2-1/2 hours shows you can leave without encores.

Date: July 2, 2009 20:25

The Black Crowes sounding like a bar band? You must be outta your mind.

first time I ever saw them was in a bar, and a bar band is exactly what they sounded like, as they recycled Led Zeppelin, Free, Humble Pie, the Stones and the Faces like just about any other bar band does; I still remember the singer then with his mike-scarfs (ripped off from Steven Tyler) and mike-twirling (ripped off from Faces-era Rod Stewart) antics, and the rest of the band in their dumb 'hippie' clothes

hell, they still do that

When you play 2-1/2 hours shows you can leave without encores

... it was barely half that long ..some of the jams seemed to last that long, though

IMHO they are more in the Allman Brothers league rather than the Stones.

...lol.... they aren't close to being in either of those leagues

geez, everybody thinks 'Southern Harmony' and even 'Shake Your Money Maker' are such fantastic records - when in reality they aren't as good as any Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hound's record; the only difference here was the Crowes got a bigger fricken budget from the label which translated into more exposure

lately, like last year, the Crowes get more exposure from stuff like threatening to sue people like Gretchen Wilson for copyright infringment, claiming her song 'Work Harder Play Harder' sounds like their song 'Jealous Again' ....ya well 'Jealous Again' sounds alot like 'Tumbling Dice..' too

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-02 20:32 by Taylor Era.

Date: July 3, 2009 07:35

I'm an Izzy-fan, and honestly the Crowes write much better songs these days. While Izzy's records are rockin', I think after GNR he's put out way too many "lazy" songs with very repetetive lyrics. There are decent tunes here and there, but no Mr Brownstones or Night Trains.
That Gretchen-thing is just another example of Pete Angelus' rather misguided ways of trying to get them media visibility.
Chris doesn't "do" scarves anymore, and it seems most new american artists have stolen the hirsute look he's sported since 1993 (excepting By Your Side and Jimmy Page tours).
Pretty good work for a untalented imitator producing Gary Louris and Mark Olson, those guys should've been warned against hiring such a loser. And surely Patti Smith had Rich Robinson playing on her album (& do gigs with him) only because he's so crap he made her shine even brighter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-03 07:37 by Child Of Clay.

Date: July 3, 2009 12:56

<when in reality they aren't as good as any Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hound's record>

As much as I love both of Izzy's albums, I must say - in all fairness - that at least Southern Harmony... is a much better record. What you tend to forget, imo, is the sound The Black Crowes have created. You may call them copycat when it comes to style and songwriting, but they have a sound that rocks.

imo, Southern Harmony was a great record. Haven't been very impressed by The crowes ever since. And I agree about Shake Your Moneymaker, being too close to The Stones and The Faces' outputs. Jealous Again sounds more like one of the tracks off Ooh La La, than Tumblin' Dice though winking smiley

Date: July 3, 2009 12:59

<Pretty good work for a untalented imitator producing Gary Louris and Mark Olson>

When will this album be released??

Date: July 3, 2009 13:39

DandelionPowderman
When will this album be released??

last year!

[www.amazon.com]

Date: July 3, 2009 13:42

Wow! Can't believe I didn't catch that release. I know what I'll be listening to in my summer holiday drinking smiley

Date: July 3, 2009 21:15

''I'm an Izzy-fan, and honestly the Crowes write much better songs these days. While Izzy's records are rockin', I think after GNR he's put out way too many "lazy" songs with very repetetive lyrics. There are decent tunes here and there, but no Mr Brownstones or Night Trains.''

..personally, I like Izzy's solo stuff better than the Crowes or G&R's stuff ..and most of the G&R songs I did like were Izzy songs anyway

some of his solo tunes like You Betcha and Up Jumped the Devil, Bomb and Primitive Man for example are great rocking workouts and just as good as any G&R song or BC song; and overall he and his band posess a great rollicking vibe

he made the right move going solo ..as a result of which of course he is well distanced from that bloated bag of shit called Chinese Democracy

''Pretty good work for a untalented imitator producing Gary Louris and Mark Olson, those guys should've been warned against hiring such a loser.''

..agreed.. although both of those two guys can sing rings around Chris Robinson

''What you tend to forget, imo, is the sound The Black Crowes have created.''

'created' ???

.. I don't think the the Black Crowse created any particular sound, I think they pilfered it from Exile-era Stones, early period Rod Stewart, the Faces, Humble Pie and Free...'their' sound was already done before... and done much better the first go round ..

''Southern Harmony was a great record.''

..it's an ok record. I mean its got some ok songs; I like Hotel Illness quite a lot ..however.. it is not near as good a record as any of the Tragically Hip's first four records, which may well be the best studio four-record rock and roll run since, well, since Beggars to Exile. I mean you've got four complete records there with nary a dud across the lot.

the only problem there though is that band is Canadian and nobody's heard of 'em, and they dont marry movie stars, and they don't get the promotion other bands like the Crowes got.. they fly well under the radar

and of course because of their continued refusal to sell out and make hit singles geared to mass appeal/exposure in the US market ..which is why they've been fired by just about every record label they've ever been on .. and they are happy to have it that way

I can't help but bring up the Tragically Hip every time the Black Crowes get mentioned, because the Hip's track record of recorded output (both bands first records came out around the same time in 1989/90) frankly beats the Crowes output hands down, and the Hip's live show blows the Crowes off the stage as well

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-03 21:20 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 3, 2009 21:40

unfortunately, most of your posts are highly one sided, and opinionated. You don't like the crowes, so it is pointless trying to argue points of who is better etc...

For me. The Crowes are a great working r and r band...and I am seeing them Sunday in OH! YAY! I Can't wait! Loud raucous rock and roll on my fourth weekend. YAY!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 3, 2009 21:51

DandelionPowderman
Village People bass lines and awful off key-singing by Chris. However, I must admit that I like it smoking smiley

The first time I heard the song I thought Rod Stewart would start singing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy"

....think I'm getting used to it now though.

Posted by: GeneGenie ()
Date: July 3, 2009 21:57

The Crowes are a great working r and r band...and I am seeing them Sunday in OH! YAY! I Can't wait! Loud raucous rock and roll on my fourth weekend. YAY!

Have a great time! I'm catching them in Louisville next weekend -- it'll be my umpteenthmillionth time, and I'm still excited. I like the direction this band is going. Loved WARPAINT, Lions not so much. But this is now a band that is doing what they want, not what they think will sell to those who don't get it.

I prefer homage to "ripping-off."

Bottom line, they still make me shake my booty. That's good for something right? And if I had to pick the 5 best live performances I've witnessed in my 33 years (and there have been a few, from Wilco to Billy Joe Shaver, and Dylan to Pavarotti) the Black Crowes would probably occupy no fewer than 2 of those 5 spots.

I could tell you some stories about how that band has melted my face off over the years, but as a longtime fan, I've grown tired of the "imitator/redundant" label. So why bother? Who cares? They rock. My band. My fun. Sorry, if you don't get it.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home