Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT - who else could sell out O2 for 50 nights?
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 30, 2009 18:16

Hardly anyone could do that. I do not live in Britain, but I think if Oasis would not tour for ten years from now they might be abled to play 50 farewell shows in London, I think they are really big in England. The Stones have been constantly touring, so they could not do it, and they are too old now for a sensation like that.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 30, 2009 18:18

I'm glad the Stones actually do world tours rather than play in one venue and expect their worldwide fanbase to come to them.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 30, 2009 18:36

CEline Dion did so in Las Vegas - don't remember, but I think 2 or 3 year in a row - smaller arena, but the same number of people.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 30, 2009 18:39

mtaylor
CEline Dion did so in Las Vegas - don't remember, but I think 2 or 3 year in a row - smaller arena, but the same number of people.

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 19:51 by vudicus.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 30, 2009 18:54

The STones, if they would not have toured for the last 10 years:

skip Licks Tour 2002-03 and Bigger Bang 2005-07 and it would be the same.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 30, 2009 19:15

vudicus
mtaylor

God there's some sick people in this world! lol

Y'know, I went to see her many years ago, as my ex-fiancee was a huge fan, and I was really shocked at how good the show was! It still ranks among my ten best concerts of all-time. Celine Dion puts on one helluva show - course I don't know about now, but I would imagine her voice's still impressive. I was really blown away by it.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 30, 2009 22:58

VoodooLounge13
vudicus
mtaylor

God there's some sick people in this world! lol

Y'know, I went to see her many years ago, as my ex-fiancee was a huge fan, and I was really shocked at how good the show was! It still ranks among my ten best concerts of all-time. Celine Dion puts on one helluva show - course I don't know about now, but I would imagine her voice's still impressive. I was really blown away by it.

According to Wikipedia it was a 600 show contract in an arena with place to 4.000 people - that is 2.4 million people over a 4 year period.
Because of enormous success the show was extended 1 more year - which is probably some 150 shows more or a possible 3 million people all in all.
"Beat it" Jacko.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:02

Long John Stoner
Maybe Paul and Ringo. Maybe.

What would Ringo do?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:07

Maybe Julio Iglesias? Or Frans Bauer? smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: JK ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:08

ABBA and Led Zeppelin

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:08

Adrian-L
Stones didn't sellout 3 nights - so they certainly couldn't do 50.

Abba and Led Zep, are the only 2 acts on the planet, at this time,
who could achieve such a feat.

I also think that an ABBA reunion is the only act that could sell out 50 dates.
They have remained popular ever since their heyday and the "Mamma Mia" effect is massive.
Can't see it happening, though.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-30 23:10 by Deltics.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:09

The Fools on Stools smoking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: June 30, 2009 23:31

Dwight Yoakam

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:35

Who would want to sell out one venue for 50 nights when the reason was because people wanted to see a freak show? Seriously, the man hadn't performed live in years, could barely walk unaided and bits of his face were falling off. It's no accident he chose a venue with some of the most sophisticated lip-synch technology in the world. People weren't buying these tickets to listen to the music. The Stones are a (sometimes!) working band who have continued to perform live and tour for nearly half a century. It's no disgrace that they charge the going rate for their utterly professional shows (give or take the odd Keith lapse!) and no surprise that they neither could nor need to resort to Jackson measures to stave off bankruptcy.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 1, 2009 16:43

If the Stones had stopped touring completely for many years .... If the Stones had exposed themselves for the tabloids through numerous scandals meanwhile ... If the Stones had sold 110 million records of a single album... If they then announced their very own THIS IS IT for the O2 only, and with the ticket price used - was it 70 pounds? - then I am sure there would be a lot of shows sold...

It is all very hypothetic...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 1, 2009 17:14

Lady Jayne
It's no disgrace that they charge the going rate for their utterly professional shows (give or take the odd Keith lapse!)

please define "going rate"

Date: July 1, 2009 17:15

Adrian-L
Lady Jayne
It's no disgrace that they charge the going rate for their utterly professional shows (give or take the odd Keith lapse!)

What people are prepared to pay to see them.

Date: July 1, 2009 17:33

Lady Jayne
Adrian-L
Lady Jayne

stewards resorting to handing out fistfuls of tickets,
as "complimentary upgrades", doesn't strike me as an indication
of charging the "going rate",or charging
"What people are prepared to pay to see them",
does it you?

Date: July 1, 2009 18:53

Adrian-L
Lady Jayne
Adrian-L
Lady Jayne

does it you?

Well, my experience is more limited than yours. I have only been to shows in the UK, Ireland and Western Europe and never seen that happen. If it does happen on a widespread basis, I'm surprised the tours are so profitable or that people have to resort to touts to see them. For what it's worth, I and those I know, have found it harder to get decent complimentary tickets for the Stones (other than from corporate sources who have paid for them) than any other act (baring Zep) even with music industry contacts. Obviously my contacts aren't as good as yours and I should speak to more stewards in future!

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: July 1, 2009 19:12

The Pope (recently signed a record deal - seriosuly)? and possibly Abba.

OR Abba feat. The Pope.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 1, 2009 19:21

I think it was in 75 when Bill Graham was promoting the tour, he said the Stones could sell out MSG every night for a year. That would be over 6 million tickets.

Date: July 1, 2009 22:40

Are all of the members of Abba still alive? I didn't realize they were. I thought half had passed away.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 1, 2009 22:43

Hi VL13,

Nope,you're thinking of 'The Who'.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: July 1, 2009 22:43

Lady Jayne
Adrian-L
Lady Jayne
Adrian-L
Lady Jayne

does it you?

Well, my experience is more limited than yours. I have only been to shows in the UK, Ireland and Western Europe and never seen that happen. If it does happen on a widespread basis, I'm surprised the tours are so profitable or that people have to resort to touts to see them. For what it's worth, I and those I know, have found it harder to get decent complimentary tickets for the Stones (other than from corporate sources who have paid for them) than any other act (baring Zep) even with music industry contacts. Obviously my contacts aren't as good as yours and I should speak to more stewards in future!

i didn't seek out stewards at O2 shows 1 and 2...they sought out me and hundreds of others. Fistfuls of top priced tickets were gifted to punters with nosebleeds, for the sole purpose of filling embarrasing gaps on the lower and floor levels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-01 22:47 by Adrian-L.

Date: July 1, 2009 22:51

SimonN
Hi VL13,

Cheers,

Si.

No, I know half of the Who is dead, but I thought the same for Abba. Why is they split up then? Was it the dual-divorces? They were 2 married couples right? God, I hope I don't have all of this wrong! LMAO

Date: July 1, 2009 23:13

[/quote]

i didn't seek out stewards at O2 shows 1 and 2...they sought out me and hundreds of others. Fistfuls of top priced tickets were gifted to punters with nosebleeds, for the sole purpose of filling embarrasing gaps on the lower and floor levels.[/quote]

That's a slightly different issue though isn't it? Those tickets (certainly at O2 number one, where people were turned away at the gate) weren't 'unsold'. Agencies overbuy and fail to offload for all big acts. Corporate packages net huge profits for Mick and co but result in empty seats when those being 'entertained' find better things to do. As a fan I'm 100% with you in hating that the Stones (and most other established bands) prefer to milk this source of income at the expense of real 'fans' having the opportunity to buy. The same is true at big sporting events. But as a business person I can't agree that they aren't charging a market rate which results in raking in the dosh for them. They simply wouldn't run such a consistently profitable ship otherwise.

Date: July 1, 2009 23:16

VoodooLounge13
SimonN
Hi VL13,

Cheers,

Si.

No, I know half of the Who is dead, but I thought the same for Abba. Why is they split up then? Was it the dual-divorces? They were 2 married couples right? God, I hope I don't have all of this wrong! LMAO

Abba are all alive and mostly well. They ceased performing after both couples split. Only the two men are now active in music. One of the women married a Prince. The blonde one with the bottom developed stage fright and agrophobia. Sadly, I would be there like a flash for a reunion concert!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:19

baxlap
pgarof
Mongoose
Zeppelin could do it.

Floyd would sell out 15, but not 50.

Boxcar Willie, Slim Whitman, Helen Reddy, or Bobby Goldsboro wouldn't have a chance.

Floyd could do it easily, maybe even more, no problem

Without Rick Wright, there's no Pink Floyd. Yeah, they made The Final Cut without him, but that was essentially a Waters solo album.

I hate to say it but i think even without Rick Wright they could do it easily. It would be like the Zepplin gig with millions logging on to get a ticket

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:26

Jackson sold out 50 shows, because he

- repeatedly said "This is it" so everybody knew this was their last chance to see him perform live. And everybody took this statement seriously as MJ was in such a fragile physical state.
- the ticket prices were pretty low (as compared to the prices the Stones are charging)
- he hadn't toured for 12 years!!

If he had announced a world tour following the O2 shows there wouldn't be 50 sellouts for sure.

The Stones could have done it at the times of the Steel Wheels Tour (or maybe Voodoo Lounge). They hadn't toured for 7 years and the tour was a phenomenal success. I remember that almost 7 mio. people saw them perform during this tour.
Now imagine, instead of doing a world tour at that time, they had announced 50 or more dates at the O2 (which of course wasn't even built at that time :-D ), they would have easily sold out all shows assuming ticket prices were decent.
Of course the Stones had much weaker record sales than Jackson, but they are known to be an incredible live act which pretty much clears the problem with their moderate record sales.

During their ABB tour the Stones might have sold out 10-15 O2 shows if they had drastically dropped the ticket prices. No doubt about that.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: July 1, 2009 23:47

yes maybe Led Z. Abba and others.. because they are legends. not alive anymore.. in a certain way. And many people could not see them the time they were touring. One or two generations not (40 or 20 years old).

Stones are a band of the presence, of now. Yes they are. Every 2 or 3 years a tour. Not the last chance to see them. You never know how many tours are to come.. (yeees). Brian is dead since nearly 40 years. No new dead member and what could be a reason to see the others withouth him on a stage.

It's bizarre.. the reasons why people want to see a band or a singer.

For most people Michael Jackson was "dead" since over 10 years (or 20) and there was a chance to see him again.

Even AC/DC .. "only" 6 years withouth a presence on stage. .and everybody wants to see them. And it's a classical live band. If the Stones stopped after licks, they would sell out now.

Thats how people are now. I don't think that most of them are really interested in the music. Only in the "show" to see a Legend. That's why I think the Stones could play a bit more exotic setlist.. because the most people who wanted to see the old boys have seen them. Now it's time for fans... or VIP people who pay 1000 for a seat...(what I expect.. sadly)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home