Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Billy Preston in '75 = horrible
Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 25, 2009 21:35

Listening to the Detroit SBD from '75 and holy @#$%& is Preston's cheesy piano playing ruining Gimme Shelter. His honky-tonk piano is so out of place, especially when compared to the great moody piano work of Hopkins and Stu on previous versions...

The more I listen to '75 shows, the more I like the Stones playing and the more I hate Preston...

Re: Billy Preston in '75 = horrible
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 25, 2009 21:36

it's stu playing any honky-tonk piano you hear in '75....

Date: June 25, 2009 21:38

Well I know it ain't Stu on Gimme Shelter...I can tell it's Billy from the style...

Date: June 25, 2009 21:41

i'm in the minority, it seems, for liking billy's contributions to the shows in '75 and '76...helped give the tours some personality and identity, something sorely lacking since....forever and a day....

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 25, 2009 21:44

as I recently said in a similar thread, I liked it at the time in the two shows I saw. Recently, I do occasionally skip the Preston songs when listening. I also agree that the synth noodling sounds a bit dated, if not objectively wrong.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 25, 2009 21:50

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 19:49 by UrbanSteel.

Date: June 25, 2009 21:59

UrbanSteel
In 1975 / 1976 there is too much Billy in the shows , it just like it is Billy Preston and The Rolling Stones .

The difference between the fantastic Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston is that you can "feel" Nicky is there and Billy is almost everywhere .

Dude, you totally nailed it... thumbs up

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: June 25, 2009 22:20

UrbanSteel
In 1975 / 1976 there is too much Billy in the shows , it just like it is Billy Preston and The Rolling Stones .

The difference between the fantastic Nicky Hopkins and Billy Preston is that you can "feel" Nicky is there and Billy is almost everywhere .

That`s the main reason why Billy Preston and Ollie Brown were not at Some girls and the `78 USA tour, there was too much influence from the session players.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2009 22:27

T&A
i'm in the minority, it seems, for liking billy's contributions to the shows in '75 and '76...helped give the tours some personality and identity, something sorely lacking since....forever and a day....
i agree 100% billy preston was a star that brought his star to the stones

Date: June 25, 2009 22:28

What I was basing my other thread (Synthesizers) on, was that Billy in 75 was really not bad on piano and organ; he was always tops at that. It is that horrid out of place synth whine that is so awful. Especially in the big end section of warhorses, when he (I think) came out from behind with one of those strap-ons.

Date: June 25, 2009 22:30

The Greek
T&A

bless you, my son

Date: June 25, 2009 22:31

wild_horse_pete
UrbanSteel

That`s the main reason why Billy Preston and Ollie Brown were not at Some girls and the `78 USA tour, there was too much influence from the session players.
wrong ,the real reason there was no billy preston for the some girls 1978 tour was billy asked for more money and guess what mr. jagger told him .enter ian mclagen for the 1978 tour and the 1981 tattoo you tour and guess what mac asked for more money and was shown the door by mick and then enter chuck leavell and i guess he works for less than billy preston and mac .

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: June 25, 2009 22:34

UrbanSteel

Yep. Bulls eye.

I´m all for change now and then, but that change was not for the better. IMHO Preston did some great things throughout his career, but he did not find his sweet spot on the 75 tour.

Date: June 25, 2009 22:37

T&A
The Greek
T&A

bless you, my son
you know i am being tutored by the master (you)

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: June 25, 2009 23:40

<<It is that horrid out of place synth whine that is so awful>>

Agree. I've learned to ignore those squeels though. Other than that I think he was a good choice for tota

As for the two songs he got to do; I find That's Life kinda mediocre, but Outta Space is a real winner. They laid down such a great funky groove on this one

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 25, 2009 23:49

Whether you like the song or not, sometimes the band played really well on Nothing from Nothing in '76...

Date: June 26, 2009 14:13

Palace Revolution 2000
What I was basing my other thread (Synthesizers) on, was that Billy in 75 was really not bad on piano and organ; he was always tops at that. It is that horrid out of place synth whine that is so awful. Especially in the big end section of warhorses, when he (I think) came out from behind with one of those strap-ons.

HILARIOUS unintentional (or was it?) sentence...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And agree about the horrid synth...synth in MR? GS? WTF?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 26, 2009 15:01

Stonesfanatic, why do you name yourself Stonefanatic, subscribe to this board and ONLY attack everything post '75?

You hate Wood, hate the tours they did, hate the Wood years for that matter -why don't you start your own "I Hate Ron Wood" message board and leave this message board alone?

Mathijs

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 26, 2009 15:03

Unfortunately Billy Preston had to have a Strapadictomy.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 26, 2009 15:05

I guess Keef was a little tired of too many fuss (Preston / Brown / Eyeliner) on stage and put it back to basic in 1978.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:26

StonesFanatic
Mathijs
Stonesfanatic, why do you name yourself Stonefanatic, subscribe to this board and ONLY attack everything post '75?

You hate Wood, hate the tours they did, hate the Wood years for that matter -why don't you start your own "I Hate Ron Wood" message board and leave this message board alone?

Mathijs

Oh wise and holy Mathijs, thank you for imparting your divine wisdom and issuing your edict...now go @#$%& off. First of all, I'm not the only one who "attacks" Ronnie (what are you, his boyfriend or something?) And again, so I only like the first 12 years of Stones music...so what? I also like the first 8 years (read: TOTAL) of Beatles music...should I stop because I don't like solo Beatles stuff? STFU...

First, if your first defense is to curse hyou better leave this board immediatly as you will not have a very long life here.

Second, I don't give a fvck what you like and what not, but it is very irritating that your only contribution to this board is bad mouting Wood and the Wood years. It's irritating and not very constructive.

I don't see the point of your constant hatred towards everything Wood. It would be the same for me to join the Genesis fanboard and posting thread after thread that I can't stand their music.

Mathijs

Posted by: michel ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:39

Thanks thanks thanks Mathijs.You are so right!This person who calls himsef stones fanatic, is soooooooo irritating, i am so tired of this stupid negative lunatic.
Ofcoure its ok to have some critism but he is just boring stupid and dumb(if only for not liking, some girls tattoo you, Hampton etc etc)
Mathijs thanks for all your interesting posts/comment over the years!!!!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:41

slasausjes
I guess Keef was a little tired of too many fuss (Preston / Brown / Eyeliner) on stage and put it back to basic in 1978.

why keith?

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:47

cc
slasausjes

why keith?

I recall reading about it in some book, might be the Stanley Booth bio. Something about hating all the glam stuff, esp. the 'gay action' between Jagger & Preston. Can you imagine what Keith must have thought on stage seeing those two go at it?!?!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-26 17:51 by slasausjes.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 26, 2009 17:48

slasausjes
cc
slasausjes

why keith?

I recall reading about it in some book, might be the Stanley Booth bio. Something about hating all the glam stuff, esp. the 'gay action' between Jagger & Preston. Can you imagion what Keith must have thought on stage seeing those two go at it?!?!?

yeah, maybe he was uncomfortable with it, but I don't think he would have been able to tell mick what to do as far as stage persona and costumes. It may have been more that keith was correct that the glam thing was past its shelf life.

Date: June 26, 2009 17:54

Mathijs

Mathijs
you are correct sir as ed used to say to johnny carson

Date: June 26, 2009 18:07

The Greek
Mathijs

Mathijs
you are correct sir as ed used to say to johnny carson

One can be a Stones lover (I am) without liking Woods guitarplaying.
To hate him is not something Ron deserves.

BTW: Billy Preston was a great musician, and nobody is perfect!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 26, 2009 18:57

T&A
i'm in the minority, it seems, for liking billy's contributions to the shows in '75 and '76...helped give the tours some personality and identity

Agree 100%. And I include Olly Brown's contribution too.

T&A
something sorely lacking since....forever and a day....

Disagree 100%. Every single tour of the stones has its own personality and identity.

C

Date: June 26, 2009 19:09

damn - and i was on such a roll there

Posted by: Happy2 ()
Date: June 26, 2009 19:32

I quite like Billy Preston. True that some of the synth parts are a bit dated, but what do you propose to do?

I don't like this "StonesFanatic" fellow at all. Too much negativity, and he really is a bore.

Mr. Fanatic, why don't you run along and beat up Dick York, for he is not half the Darrin as the first fellow.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2112
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home