Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What If?: Europe 1970 Had A Live Album
Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:21

As great as Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is, I can't help but think it would have been twice as great if they had waited and recorded it on the 1970 European Tour. This tour has only a handful of decent sounding recordings, and they're just moderately good audience recordings for the era, but almost every performance I've heard from that tour is smoking! I much prefer it to the 1969 American tour. They had added the horn section and keyboards (I think) by 1970 (someone can correct me if Nicky hadn't come aboard by that time) plus they had the previous year's American tour under their belt with Taylor on board and the playing was much improved. They were much tighter and were including several songs off of the yet-to-be-released Sticky Fingers album.

Any opinions on this?

Re: What If?: Europe 1970 Had A Live Album
Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:27

What if they waited until 1972.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:29

Good points. I liked the way they did JJF(vocal wise) on the 70 tour better than 69 and I liked the 3 Berry songs as opposed to two although I like Carol better than Beethoven. They coulda done them all! I also like them dropping I'm Free-I thought it was too slow on the 69 US tour. What if they had done a 2 lp set and used BOTH tours! YEAH!!

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()

What if they released Ya-Ya's, an album from 1970, *AND* the planned (and ultimately shelved) '72 one...

THAT woulda been awesome!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()

I just want a listenable version of Roll Over Beethoven

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:30

While I don't object to live albums from every tour, the way it played out was integral to the band. At the time, the three years off the road were really hurting their repuation. The hiring of Mr. Taylor who didn't truly have a chance to shine on the studio releases in 1969 did not have a chance to really take root until YA-YA'S was out there as a document in August 1970 for all to hear. As much as BEGGARS BANQUET represented the band's artistic maturation, you can't really measure it until you have it as a captured performance. YA-YA'S was bottled lightning. It is more than the fruit of BEGGARS and LET IT BLEED, it is the underpinning of STICKY FINGERS and EXILE to follow. The addition of Nicky, Bobby, and Jim Price is there to see and hear with the 71 UK tour and 72 US tour films and broadcasts. Not having its genesis (Europe '70) which is unique only in the inclusion of "Roll Over, Beethoven" doesn't really harm that era's reputation. Take YA-YA'S out of the equation and I can't imagine those Glory Years of 68-72 being quite as formidable. Its another leg to the table they built back then. It would wobble without it. Waiting until 70,71, or 72 would have been too late.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:30

I like "I'm Free" from 1969 very much. Rock solid rhythm guitar and a nice solo from Mick. smiling smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:34

Well, I do have to agree that some tapes of "I'm Free" sound alot better that others so maybe some shows that I dont care for it are a little off speed wise? I've also notice JJF dragging a little on some boots.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 23, 2009 22:35

Rocky Dijon
While I don't object to live albums from every tour, the way it played out was integral to the band. At the time, the three years off the road were really hurting their repuation. The hiring of Mr. Taylor who didn't truly have a chance to shine on the studio releases in 1969 did not have a chance to really take root until YA-YA'S was out there as a document in August 1970 for all to hear. As much as BEGGARS BANQUET represented the band's artistic maturation, you can't really measure it until you have it as a captured performance. YA-YA'S was bottled lightning. It is more than the fruit of BEGGARS and LET IT BLEED, it is the underpinning of STICKY FINGERS and EXILE to follow. The addition of Nicky, Bobby, and Jim Price is there to see and hear with the 71 UK tour and 72 US tour films and broadcasts. Not having its genesis (Europe '70) which is unique only in the inclusion of "Roll Over, Beethoven" doesn't really harm that era's reputation. Take YA-YA'S out of the equation and I can't imagine those Glory Years of 68-72 being quite as formidable. Its another leg to the table they built back then. It would wobble without it. Waiting until 70,71, or 72 would have been too late.

Dead on...well said, man...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 24, 2009 07:59

Tumblin_Dice_07
As great as Get Yer Ya Ya's Out is, I can't help but think it would have been twice as great if they had waited and recorded it on the 1970 European Tour. This tour has only a handful of decent sounding recordings, and they're just moderately good audience recordings for the era, but almost every performance I've heard from that tour is smoking! I much prefer it to the 1969 American tour. They had added the horn section and keyboards (I think) by 1970 (someone can correct me if Nicky hadn't come aboard by that time) plus they had the previous year's American tour under their belt with Taylor on board and the playing was much improved. They were much tighter and were including several songs off of the yet-to-be-released Sticky Fingers album.
Any opinions on this?

1970 was my first Stones tour.
But I don't think you can replace the US comeback event with the 70's tour.

Btw. Nicky was not on this jaunt. He only came for the 71 UK gigs.
Stu was playing along on some songs. Plus Stills in Amsterdam.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 24, 2009 11:31

Was it their first tour with a horn section ? Bobby Keys ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: June 24, 2009 12:46

yes it was the first time with the horns. And I do think "Stray Cat", "Love in Vain" really shined. But overall I see it the way Rocky D put it. Got to see the big picture; and Taylor, and the 5th leg of the Golden Era is more important overall, than the 70 tour. I was not around, but I can well imagine that this was a huge statement in late 60's, the 1st major Stones tour of USA. In the era of Vietnam, Nixon, King, Kennedys, Woodstock; the first time the US audiences were going to actually hear the band. Debuts of all the new killer songs: Sympathy, Street Fighting Man, JJF, Honky Tonk, Gimme Shelter and Brown Sugar. My God - what a list!

Date: July 7, 2009 22:29

CousinC

Btw. Nicky was not on this jaunt. He only came for the 71 UK gigs.
Stu was playing along on some songs. Plus Stills in Amsterdam.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't sure if it was this tour or the '71 English tour when Nicky came aboard. I still believe Ya Ya's would have been better had it been recorded on the 1970 European tour. I think the performances would have been better. They had the '69 tour under their belts and were playing much tighter and rocking harder in Europe in '70 than they did in America the year before. It all worked out well for them. Had they waited til '70 to record the live album, it wouldn't have come out until early '71 and Sticky Fingers was ready to go by then.

Of course, had they been able to release the '72 tour album, we probably wouldn't even be discussing the merits of the '69 tour vs. the '70 tour.

By the way I love Ya Ya's. I think it's great. I think it would have been greater had they recorded it a year later.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 7, 2009 22:46

If I recall correctly, they were pretty much forced to release Ya Ya's because the bootleg "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be" had hit the streets and they understandably wanted to counter that.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: July 7, 2009 23:00

I always thought at least part of the reason for releasing Ya Ya's when they did, was to counter the bootlegs, especially the 'Live'r Than You'll Ever Be' bootleg; and that explained the timing. Plus, if yer going around claiming to be the 'greatest rock and roll band in the world,' you are practically demanding that some live document be released to prove it.

I love Ya Ya's. Carol is great. Mick Taylor's kickass rhythm playing leading up to the slow blues breakdown in Rambler is effin amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 23:02 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: July 7, 2009 23:14

I just hope the guys have a soundboard recording of their 1969 Baltimore show!!

The versions of: Under My Thumb/I'm Free & SFTD just SMOKE!!! and thats on a
crappy audience recording...

Hoping aginst hope that a collection of those tours is released, someday
like Eric Clapton's concert collection..

MLC

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 8, 2009 00:59

MCDDTLC
I just hope the guys have a soundboard recording of their 1969 Baltimore show!!
MLC

Together with Detroit; one of the absolute most smoking concerts of 1969...
- MSG/Boston/Altamont are good contenders though !

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 8, 2009 01:38

Or 1973...down under..what a great show!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 8, 2009 01:43

Blooody hell! grinning smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 8, 2009 01:56

It would be good if they did release live shows in the way that bands do now. It's certainly possible that they COULD do that. There is no need to mass market them, just put some simple packaging together, take the master tapes and make albums out of them. If they put together a few people to edit and master, they could feasibly release at least one from every tour they did.

Why not?

The complaint that the Stones have released too many live albums has gotten to be silly when you look at who all have released live albums of EVERY SHOW from a tour - Pearl Jam comes to mind. The Cult did it in 2007. Various other acts. The New Orleans Jazz Fest does it for every act (I'm not up to date on that but I do have a Black Crowes and The Meters live albums of their JF performances from 2 years ago). The comparisons don't add up anymore - the Stones could release more live albums - preferably from the 1970s and 80s. Yet alone give us the rest that didn't make the cut for whatever other official live albums.

Flood the market. It then wouldn't be looked at as 'Another Stones tour, another live album' as the current gripe goes. One would have thought with their own record label they would have done that in some fashion. It's super easy to do now.

But they won't do it.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 8, 2009 02:13

DVD S!!! 1978 summr tour!!!

Date: July 9, 2009 04:40

MCDDTLC

MLC

What are you talking about? Is Clapton releasing archived concerts?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 9, 2009 16:23

I disagree - a live album from 1969 is better than one from 1970.

The 1969 Tour was simply the most unique tour the band ever did.
New guitarist, not toured for so long, complete re-jig of songs/setlist, touring on the back of JJF & HTW...and the upcoming Let IB album...new PA the band had to familiarise itself with...lighting etc....it was just a brilliant tour which moulded the band in such a way which we still see today!
To hear how the crowd reacted to Midnight Rambler (when Mick hit the sateg with his belt), Satisfaction, SFTD etc.. was awesome on this tour...electrifying. A great atmosphere...

To me the 1970 Tour (after altamont), the band seemed a little different, a little bit slicker (with the horns section)...not the same raw band as it was on the 1969 US Tour.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 9, 2009 21:40

Tumblin_Dice_07
MCDDTLC

MLC

What are you talking about? Is Clapton releasing archived concerts?

Probably referring to the Crossroads 2 Live in the 70's box.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 11, 2009 05:58

Just get Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out and you have close to an official release. Ya-Ya's as ROcky Dijon said had to come out when it came out. Love Europe 1970 but they had to document the 1969 tour of America.

They should have released Altamont that would have been ballsy!

Date: July 11, 2009 06:47

slew
Just get Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out and you have close to an official release. Ya-Ya's as ROcky Dijon said had to come out when it came out. Love Europe 1970 but they had to document the 1969 tour of America.

quote]

That Leeds recording is from the 1971 English tour (you probably already know), although that one is terribly under-representated as well.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 11, 2009 07:27

I was around for the 1969 LA shows and the 1970 European tour.
Brilliant. Exciting. Thrilling.

However, the management, record company and financials of those years were in the throes of change, and Altamont was a great emotional shock. Business decisions that would be made today were not necessarily possible then. And Mr. Klein was a problem.

It seems to me that many IORR posters want to believe that everything today should have been possible all those years ago and to quote Keith, "Baby, it just don't work that way."

Date: July 11, 2009 19:36

stonesrule
I was around for the 1969 LA shows and the 1970 European tour.
Brilliant. Exciting. Thrilling.

However, the management, record company and financials of those years were in the throes of change, and Altamont was a great emotional shock. Business decisions that would be made today were not necessarily possible then. And Mr. Klein was a problem.

It seems to me that many IORR posters want to believe that everything today should have been possible all those years ago and to quote Keith, "Baby, it just don't work that way."

What exactly do you mean?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 11, 2009 23:08

I'm still trying to figure out why you wanted them to "wait" to record Ya-Yas.

Date: July 12, 2009 02:09

stonesrule
I'm still trying to figure out why you wanted them to "wait" to record Ya-Yas.

I sense just a bit of hostility in your reply. I didn't mean harm with my question. Just wanted to know what you meant exactly.

Did you read my previous posts in this thread? I thought I made myself fairly clear but I was just sort of day-dreaming about how great an official live album would be from the 1970 tour. And it occured to me that if they had recorded Ya Ya's on the '70 European tour, the performances captured on tape would have probably been better than the stuff recorded on the '69 American tour.

I understand why they recorded it when they did and it's great. I just think Europe 1970 was a superior tour musically. You get what I'm saying? I'm speaking strictly about the quality of the performances, not about business decisions or anything about that.

But anyway, I think I get what you're saying about the business aspects. I'm not critisizing their decisions, I'm just saying I think Europe 1970 was a superior tour, and would have yielded a superior live album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home