Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What If?: Europe 1970 Had A Live Album
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 12, 2009 03:16

No hostility babe. It's just that they were both great tours with their own "personality."

I feel lucky to have seen and heard both but I could never take one over the other.

They were not using the "greatest rock band" tag yet. The Stones still had plenty to prove; 1969-1971 were years of growth, concern over Keith and a time when Jagger took on unpaid managerial duties because someone had to make decisions and come up with a plan to keep and build momentum, deal with the tax exile situation etc. etc. A crucial time for The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 12, 2009 05:01

If theres one sad aspect about YaYas its that because it was already in the can, they probably did not see any need to professionally record any 1970 shows.

Their 1969 tour is almost perfectly documented - YaYas, Gimme Shelter, great audience recordings - and in case ABKCOs expanded YaYas release will include the "missing" tracks in professional stereo, theres not much, if anything, left to wish for, with the possible exception of a complete and undoctored Altamont soundboard, but it seems to be already in collectors hands, so its well possible that one day we will get even this.

Europe 1970 has no live album, no movie, and only average to poor audience recordings - and it will most likely remain that way forever. Man, how I wish I could hear Roll Over Beethoven from 1970 in the same quality as Carol from 1969!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-12 05:04 by alimente.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 12, 2009 06:15

I couldn't agree more Alimente re Beethoven and Carol.

The Stones were not drowning in money in 1970 and recording shows costs plenty.
Anyone who was at the 1970 shows and possesses a good memory can still smile at the very thought of those gigs. Keep in mind that this was a time when many leading bands just hoped they had three good years ahead of them as performers.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 14, 2009 02:24

stonesrule
No hostility babe. It's just that they were both great tours with their own "personality."

I feel lucky to have seen and heard both but I could never take one over the other.

They were not using the "greatest rock band" tag yet. The Stones still had plenty to prove; 1969-1971 were years of growth, concern over Keith and a time when Jagger took on unpaid managerial duties because someone had to make decisions and come up with a plan to keep and build momentum, deal with the tax exile situation etc. etc. A crucial time for The Rolling Stones.

Ok cool.

Yeah I love the '69 tour and alot of people prefer the "raw" Stones of '69 to the tours that followed with the horn section and all. Just about every Europe 1970 show that I've heard is smoking hot though. Of course as a fan, myself and probably most of us here would love an official live album from every tour

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 14, 2009 04:31

there is hope that a professional soundboard could surface.
On "A Shot of Salvation" CD (I think), there's that 9/10 sounding soundboard of SFTD from Paris 1970....where's the rest??

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home