Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brown Sugar with or without the sax?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:18

I don't participate on board much during my busy work season from March till November but driving home from work "Brown Sugar" came on the radio and for some reason I started to wonder if the sax part should have been a guitar solo instead.

I know everyone will probably say they love the sax slot, and I do too, but as I thought about it I wondered what a good guitar lead solo would sound like in its place, sort of like "Honky Tonk Women"

Does that sax part change the groove of the song? Does it slow it down, Does it tone it down? What do you all think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 04:20 by The Sicilian.

Re: Brown Sugar with or without the sax?
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:26

The Sicilian
I don't participate on board much during my busy work season from March till November but driving home from work "Brown Sugar" came on the radio and for some reason I started to wonder if the sax part should have been a guitar solo instead.

I know everyone will probably say they love the sax slot, and I do too, but as I thought about it I wondered what a good guitar lead solo would sound like in its place, sort of like "Honky Tonk Women"

Does that sax part change the groove of the song? Does it slow it down, Does it tone it down? What do you all think?
I Like It...it ads energy...and fits in with the sexy vibe of the song....a throwback to early r'n'r when the sax was the lead instrument

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:27

It fits the song perfectly in the spirit of songs like "Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon. which was an inpiration for Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:49

ryanpow
It fits the song perfectly in the spirit of songs like "Palisades Park" by Freddy Cannon. which was an inpiration for Brown Sugar.

Cannon's Palisades Park inspired BS???
That's a new one on me!

Date: June 19, 2009 04:59

The sax solo is perfect IMO.It's sleazy; one of the top recognized rock sax solos. I don't even like it that much when they started having Taylor take half of the solo over in 73.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 05:03

Classic sax solo by Bobby Keys on one of the greatest rock n roll songs of all time.

Date: June 19, 2009 05:17

Doctor Dear!
ryanpow

Cannon's Palisades Park inspired BS???
That's a new one on me!

yes, musically it was an inspiration. the sound of it. ive read that in an interveiw and its been discussed here before.

Date: June 19, 2009 05:18

I thought I read that leon russel plays on the studio version. but on keno's page it lists Bobby Keyes.

to me the Studio Version's sax doesn't sound like Bobby.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 05:22 by ryanpow.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 19, 2009 05:28

Sounds like Bobby to me, and I like it a lot. To answer the specific question raised by Rollin Stoner, I think it does not really change the groove of the song, but does elevate the energy level. Of course, this is one of those "shifting gears" songs in which the energey level is raised a few times, in my opinion...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 19, 2009 06:10

Has anyone listened to the version from Altamont that substitutes the sax solo with a truncated guitar solo?

Using a guitar solo adds a whole new dimension to the track. I think that if a guitar solo had been included in the studio version a lot of people would have a different view.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2009 06:23

gimme a ripping sax solo anytime - best solo instrument, be it rock or jazz....

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 19, 2009 06:59

ryanpow

Tallahasee Lassie, not Palisades Park.

For me, the best solo is the one in Leeds '71. Also, the outro solo in Paris '70 (the soundboard) or Brussels '73 are incredible.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: June 19, 2009 07:04

from the 3 min mark onwards - I love this version

OLDKR

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 19, 2009 08:09

Thanks oldkr!
Yeah Ronnie does a nice sols on BS there, in 81-82 also.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 19, 2009 12:19

oldkr

from the 3 min mark onwards - I love this version

OLDKR

Great guitar!
But I like the sax-solo also on this one .

Thankfully, there are sax-free versions of “Brown Sugar” available out there in bootlegger land. Recording engineer Glyn Johns put some of the Rolling Stones’ early Muscle Shoals demos onto acetate and the difference is striking. When you get to the part where the solo typically goes, it feels like there’s a giant hole missing from the song. But listen again, and you’ll notice Mick Taylor playing a skillful and, dare I say, cerebral guitar solo. It’s fascinating to listen to, but ultimately “cerebral” wasn’t the mood they were looking for, so Keyes was unleashed on the sax to give the song the libidinal thrust it deserved.

[www.post-rockist.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2009 12:56

What about just Bobby on Sugar without the Stones...How do ya reckon that'd sound???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 19, 2009 12:57

What do you think this song without great tenor sax part?

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: June 19, 2009 14:14

Leon Russel arranged the sax on Live With Me

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: June 19, 2009 14:22

Definitely with, it wouldn't be so great without it!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:08

it's Brown Sugar, always with sax. but 1978 w/o sax and I think version w/ Clapton have no sax, and I love em!

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:40

The studio version of BS, the sax is great...live during the Mick T era, I prefer his excellent guitar solos!

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 19, 2009 15:45

With sax please....

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 19, 2009 21:56

with, and preferably in his underwear.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 19, 2009 22:03

Do you walk with two legs or one leg ?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 19, 2009 22:16

Doctor Dear!
Leon Russel arranged the sax on Live With Me

There ain't much there to be arranged.

Seems more likely that he did a fuller horn arrangement, but that it wasn't kept, or wasn't kept in it's entirety. I doubt Leon arranged the sax solo, but there are those little high pitched horn lines towards the end.

Al Kooper did full horn arrangement for YCAGWYW, but the stones only kept Koopers part in there.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: June 19, 2009 23:26

Palace Revolution 2000
The sax solo is perfect IMO.It's sleazy; one of the top recognized rock sax solos. I don't even like it that much when they started having Taylor take half of the solo over in 73.

Actually, that started in '72. Taylor played a guitar solo on "Brown Sugar" before that I think, at Altamont, in Europe 1970, and England 1971. The '72 North American tour is when they started dividing the lead break up and having Bobby play the sax solo for the first part of the break. They used that arrangment until the '75 tour, when there was no horn section.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 19, 2009 23:47

Brown Sugar without sax:
BrownSugar.mp3 - 5.29MB
You can listen to and or download this.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 20, 2009 00:28

I don't have an advanced degree in Stonesology, but I would say definitely WITH the sax.
*I saw a very good tribute band last month and they had a sax player join them for a few songs such as "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". OMG it was so good (and the guy who plays Mick T was superb!) You just had to close your eyes and it must have been how it was like decades ago!

Date: June 20, 2009 00:38

yapster
ryanpow
I thought I read that leon russel plays on the studio version. but on keno's page it lists Bobby Keyes.

to me the Studio Version's sax doesn't sound like Bobby.

If this were true, there would have been no reason to call Bobby "Mr. Brown Sugar".

If it were true, there would have been because he played it live so many times. for some reason I thought it was Leon Russel but everything I've looked up seems to confirm it was Bobby Keyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-20 00:44 by ryanpow.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 20, 2009 00:50

The sax with the incredible rythym guitar is awesome! I can't imagine the song without it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home