Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT SEX PISTOLS SAN FRAN LIVE 14 JANUARY 1978
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:27

Dig this....It KILLS!

[concerts.wolfgangsvault.com]

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 15:35 by stone-relics.

Re: OT SEX PISTOLS SAN FRAN LIVE 14 JANUARY 1978
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:31

Had the VHS of this concert in the early 90s...watched it over and over - and suddenly the video-tape got into a fight with the VHS-player....don't know which of them that won the battle; but both of them were dead in the end, and had to be buired. Haven't listened to the Winterland show since then....thanks for the tip....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 03:33 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 17, 2009 03:34

EMI is on now...its a GASSER! HAHAHA!

JR

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:01

Lydon: "If You Can Put Up With That....You Can Put Up With Anything" lol

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:13

Cool. This sounds better than any other version of this show I had before.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:20

It's so cool that this band only lasted for 2 years - yet did what they did....such a fiery energy coming from these 4 guys back then, can't be copied by anyone. There was a CD of this concert available in official stores some years ago - excellent quality; don't know if it's now officially banned....though I guess it is

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:48

I very much wanted to go to this show. I was 16 at the time and the Sex Pistols were getting alot of unfavorable media attention and so my mom, who paid attention to such things, wouldn't let me have the car to drive to the City to see them. "You're not going to see that snotty band and that's final" or words to that effect were uttered by her so I missed what was to be their last gig. Ah well, I laugh about it now...

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: June 17, 2009 07:12

I did go to this show.

I will try to add some comments here soon, as I have done before about this show on IORR.

plexi

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 17, 2009 11:57

i have this one on dvd in perfect quality!

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: June 17, 2009 21:37

I was there!

My memories of the event: getting my bottle of JD confiscated after being searched at the Winterland entrance, why are there hippies in this crowd?, the Nuns really suck, especially the lead singer, Johnny Rotten closing a nostril with one finger and blasting snot out of his other nostril, Rotten examining the loot that had been thrown on stage and asking "Whyn't you throw yer cameras?", Sid Vicious is stoned out of his gourd and hardly playing bass, Steve Jones is not happy...

This was in January, 1978 before the punk movement really hit SF, and the crowd was mostly plainly dressed college students and curiosity seekers. Very few people wore the punk regalia or had Mohawks and other punk-style haircuts. The punk movement was in its glorious innocent birth, before fashion people and political movements took it over.

For years I had bragging rights that I "had seen the very last Sex Pistols concert," but then they reunited a few years ago.

Musically, the Pistols were pretty awful, but I always like a mischief maker, and Johnny Rotten continues to be a hilarious and thought-provoking public figure.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: June 17, 2009 23:23

I saw them at The Kingfish (medium sized bar / live music establishment) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Everyone in the place got pissing drunk. The Pistols blew me head off. It was one of the best/most memorable shows I've ever seen.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: June 18, 2009 01:53

I was there. I was a student at Berkeley. A house mate had Never Mind the Bollocks so I knew what I was going to see. One of my regular Winterland going buddies from SF thought this was an event not to miss (good call) but most of my group who were typical rockers had no interest and would not go. The punk scene was already going in SF. Not enough to fill an small arena but there were hundreds of punks in with a few thousand of the regular Winterland crowd (it was not a sell out by any means). The opening acts were SF bands who had a following and those regulars were all there. Lydon was a showman and the Sex Pistols put on a high energy show. I was glad I went but I was a little disappointed thinking that they would be better musically. I just assumed it was a good effort for a new band and they would do more in the coming years. It was a surprise to find out later that that was it. (It was a shot in the arm to the local Punk scene that got bigger over the next several years. My housemate was on the fringe of the punk scene so I knew some of the bands and went to Mabuhay some. The bands put no emphasis on musical talent and it was an insult to be accused of practicing - but they did want to be unique and creative and some of it was cleverly done)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 02:01 by livewithme.

Date: June 18, 2009 02:04

I was there, physically. A bunch of us drove up from SoCal in a freinds van with a $10 bag of weed and two gallons of cheap wine. Don't remember much after San Jose. I kinda remember being in the place but that's it. The show is nothing but a blur.I guess that means I had fun.

Scotty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home