Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Anyone have the Clapton/Winwood setlist from last night?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 11, 2009 17:00

Tour started last night in Jersey. I think someone on here said he was going to the first show. Just wondering how (or if) the setlist differed from last year's MSG shows.

Re: OT: Anyone have the Clapton/Winwood setlist from last night?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 11, 2009 17:30

Clapton / Winwood Set List - 10 June 2009
Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ

01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. After Midnight
04. Sleeping In The Ground
05. Presence Of The Lord
06. Glad
07. Well Alright
08. Tough Luck Blues
09. Tell The Truth
10. Pearly Queen
11. No Face, No Name, No Number
12. Forever Man
13. Georgia On My Mind - Steve Winwood solo
14. Driftin' - acoustic
15. Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
16. Layla - acoustic version
17. Can't Find My Way Home
18. Split Decision
19. Little Wing
20. Voodoo Chile
21. Cocaine

Encore:
22. Dear Mr. Fantasy

Band Lineup:
Eric Clapton - guitar, vocals
Steve Winwood - vocals, Hammond B3, guitar
Chris Stainton - keyboards
Willie Weeks - bass
Abe Laboriel, Jr. - drums
Michelle John - backing vocals
Sharon White - backing vocals

[www.whereseric.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 11, 2009 17:52

yawn

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 11, 2009 17:53

two new songs ain't impressing, indeed

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: June 11, 2009 19:18

It was a great show last night and it is up on Dime. Another guy on Dime recorded it too. He'll have it up when he gets back to California.

They looked like they were having a lot of fun, and the audience loved it.

It is truly amazing that they were so polished, so professional, their playing so fluid. Never a bum note or awkward musical moment. They made it look so easy.

It was a fine show that was worth the money.

Date: June 12, 2009 00:50

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed with that setlist. 18 of the 22 songs are on the live MSG CD. Why aren't they doing Sea Of Joy? Probably the best song on the Blind Faith album. And who needs an acoustic Layla? If you're gonna play it, then PLAY it! Imagine how much fun Eric could have had with a song like Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys. They should be doing that one and an ELECTRIC Layla back-to-back. Sort of a "What Might Have Been" section of the set, devoted to music that presumably would have ended up on the second Blind Faith album, if there had been a second Blind Faith album. Also, if Traffic songs are fair game, why is there not even a single Cream song? Even a perfunctory Sunshine Of Your Love would have added balance and context.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-12 01:17 by tatters.

Date: June 12, 2009 01:36

tatters
Gotta say I'm a little disappointed with that setlist. 18 of the 22 songs are on the live MSG CD. Why aren't they doing Sea Of Joy? Probably the best song on the Blind Faith album. And who needs an acoustic Layla? If you're gonna play it, then PLAY it! Imagine how much fun Eric could have had with a song like Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys. They should be doing that one and an ELECTRIC Layla back-to-back. Sort of a "What Might Have Been" section of the set, devoted to music that presumably would have ended up on the second Blind Faith album, if there had been a second Blind Faith album. Also, if Traffic songs are fair game, why is there not even a single Cream song? Even a perfunctory Sunshine Of Your Love would have added balance and context.

I wasn't disappointed with the show, but would love to hear them play the songs you mentioned. A couple of others: Badge, John Barley corn, and how about Roll Right Stones?

There are a lot of posibilties. Let's hope they play again sometime.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 12, 2009 02:18

Well they are doing 14 dates. But I don't imagine that the setlist will change much if any. That's allright I'm still looking forward to the show in two weeks.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 12, 2009 05:58

Oh come on, like they really had a time to rehearse 4 hours of music,

with Cream, at RAH they played the same songs each night, then a few months later at MSG they added one additional song and played the same set for all those shows. So what? In the old days Cream played no more that 9 songs per show.

I will take that set list with 2 hrs 15 minutes of music anytime.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: June 12, 2009 06:23

tatters

I hear ya, Sea Of Joy definitely should have been included on the setlist.

Mike

Date: June 12, 2009 06:27

To be clear. I expected the same setlist, more or less, as MSG, and they do have a cd/dvd on sale.

Having said that, the songs I mentioned, and Tatters mentioned, would be nice to hear on a possible 'next tour' for Clapton-Winwood.

Another Cream gig would be welcomed too, but unlikely.

Date: June 12, 2009 06:34

I won't listen to the CD until after the concert.

Date: June 12, 2009 06:39

BluzDude
I won't listen to the CD until after the concert.

Too late for meeye popping smiley....But again,we can nitpick all day. If they play the set well,it's all good. Will be a fun show.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: June 12, 2009 15:24

BluzDude
In the old days Cream played no more that 9 songs per show.

In the old days, the songs were twice as long.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 12, 2009 23:27

At least "Glad" (I'm So Glad) is from Cream, yes?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2009 23:58

angee

no, glad is a traffic tune....i'm so glad is a skip james tune covered by cream

Date: June 13, 2009 01:44

StonesTod
angee

no, glad is a traffic tune....i'm so glad is a skip james tune covered by cream

Right. "Glad" is the instrumental that opens Traffic's classic 1970 album John Barleycorn Must Die, Winwood's first project after the breakup of Blind Faith. As performed by Clapton and Winwood, this song DOES fall into the "what might have been" category I was talking about; a piece of music that very likely would have found its way onto an imaginary second Blind Faith album. The version on the MSG CD gives us an idea of what it would have sounded like as a Blind Faith track. The thing is, the sound of Chris Wood's sax on the original record is SO familiar that ANY version without it just sounds "wrong", even if its got some very fiery guitar work in its place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-13 02:13 by tatters.

Date: June 13, 2009 02:08

Geez, I knew I musta screwed up somehow. Traffice, yeah!

I'm so glad, heh, I could only hope.

Date: June 13, 2009 03:35

tatters
In the old days, the songs were twice as long.

No, the songs weren't twice as long, the intrumental portion between the singing of the song was twice as long.

Date: June 14, 2009 14:39

For the second show, Friday night in Philly, Pearly Queen and Tell The Truth switched places. Other than that, it was the same setlist. The reviews on the "where's eric" site have been generally positive, except for one jerk who complained that it was too loud. Does he think these are "soft rock" guys? Was he expecting an all acoustic show?

So far no reports on last night's Washington D.C. show. I'm making the drive from Ann Arbor to Columbus (200 miles) later on today, and will be at the tour's fourth stop, tomorrow night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 14:43 by tatters.

Re: OT: The Clapton/Winwood Tour
Date: June 14, 2009 15:14

In Washington D.C., Tell The Truth and Split Decision were dropped, Crossroads was added, and the setlist was substantially rearranged. Little Wing and Voodoo Chile were both included, but were not performed back-to-back. At least it appears they're trying to keep things interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-14 15:16 by tatters.

Date: June 14, 2009 23:03

tatters
In Washington D.C., Tell The Truth and Split Decision were dropped, Crossroads was added, and the setlist was substantially rearranged. Little Wing and Voodoo Chile were both included, but were not performed back-to-back. At least it appears they're trying to keep things interesting.

I can certainly live with that choice....Hope they don't drop Pearly Queen, my favorite Traffic song.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: June 14, 2009 23:15

BluzDude
tatters

I can certainly live with that choice....Hope they don't drop Pearly Queen, my favorite Traffic song.

I can't! I was really bummed that they didn't play Split Decision. But overall it was a pretty great show.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 14, 2009 23:41

Went to the show last night in DC and thought it was a really good show.

Highlights would have to be VooDoo Child and Winwood doing Georgia On My Mind. After GOMM Clapton walked back on stage and started clapping along with the fans.

Looks like the set list is changing some every night.

Winwood has had a lot of time to prepare for these shows. EC on the other hand just finished up a 3 week residency at the RAH in London playing just his own material.

Gotta give props to EC and Winwood for taking chances and yet putting on outstanding performances at this stage of their careers.

I can think of another band that wish would take notice..........

Date: June 15, 2009 00:55

BluzDude
tatters

I wouldn't mind TTT being back in the set. But SD is one of Winwood's weaker songs I think.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-15 02:45 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: June 15, 2009 02:33

Tatters, Columbus?

Where're you sitting?!
Write me!

Anybody going to the Chicago show, Wed.?
Prayin' for Crossroads to stay in the mix...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-15 02:34 by angee.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: June 15, 2009 05:37

People interested in the MSG shows from last year: get the Mid Valley release - excellent audience - all 3 shows

Date: June 15, 2009 05:58

1cdog
Gotta give props to EC and Winwood for taking chances and yet putting on outstanding performances at this stage of their careers.

1cdog

Now that's throwing some "Red Meat' out to IORRers!

Blood in the water.

Date: June 15, 2009 16:24

angee
Tatters, Columbus?

Where're you sitting?!
Write me!

Anybody going to the Chicago show, Wed.?
Prayin' for Crossroads to stay in the mix...

Right now I'm sitting in a hotel a few hundred yards from the Columbus airport, surrounded by nothing but a vast, endless sea of warehouses. If you see a man and a woman walking around the OSU campus this afternoon, and one of them has a big white cockatoo on their shoulder, that's us.

We're in the cheap seats tonight, section 332. You'll know me if you see me. I'll be the only person at the show wearing a Yardbirds t-shirt (LOL)

Date: June 16, 2009 11:49

i agree setlist needs a little changing. why not play "dirty city" from winwoods new album since clapton played on the studio version?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2229
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home