Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Anyone have the Clapton/Winwood setlist from last night?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 17, 2009 02:09

Setlist continues to evolve. Three songs played in D.C. were not played in Columbus, and three songs played in Columbus were not played in D.C. Check out the Columbus reviews on whereseric.com; two guys correctly realizing they had just witnessed one of the best concerts they've ever seen (or ever will see), and one lady complaining that (unlike at the Eagles concert she recently attended) Steve an Eric played too many "new things" [???] and, as a result, failed to "evoke memories of times gone by".

The newest thing they played was "Split Decision" (1986)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 02:22 by tatters.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 17, 2009 07:23

Yeah, I think maybe she doesn't know that Eric does not usually do that many "hits".

I thought it was a very good concert, in short, to say the least!
Missed you, Tatters, with cockatoo and without!

Anyone going to the Chicago show tomorrow besides me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 07:27 by angee.

Date: June 17, 2009 07:38

Adding, there are several more reviews up now, most very complimentary!

[www.whereseric.com]

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 17, 2009 08:27

angee - i'm going down to the united center for a last minute cheap ticket...we should connect! email me!

check out blind faith's version of under my thumb!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: June 17, 2009 09:54

is there an opening band??? i need to know what time to get down there wed night- thanks!!

Date: June 17, 2009 15:58

little queenie
is there an opening band??? i need to know what time to get down there wed night- thanks!!

No opening act. They go on at about 8:15.

Date: June 17, 2009 16:17

The sound was the best I've ever heard in a building that size; even in the upper level at the far end of the arena, it was bright, clear, and loud. Lots of times you read about how someone or other performed in a 20,000 seat arena and was magically able to transform it into a small club, but it really DID feel like that at this show. Truly remarkable.

Date: June 17, 2009 17:48

Thanks, Tatters!
Email on its way, LQ.

Date: June 18, 2009 16:32

angee
Yeah, I think maybe she doesn't know that Eric does not usually do that many "hits".

Not sure what she was expecting, really. The Eagles evoke memories of times gone by? But Blind Faith playing Hendrix doesn't? C'mon, we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen-sixty-nine! (LOL)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:52

Buddy Guy joined them last night in Chicago. Can't wait to hear from Little Queenie and Angee. Here's teh setlist fropm last night:

01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. After Midnight
04. Presence of The Lord
05. Sleeping in the Ground
06. Glad
07. Well Alright
08. Tough Luck Blues
09. Pearly Queen
10. Crossroads
11. There's A River
12. Forever Man
13. Georgia On My Mind - Steve Winwood solo
14. Driftin' - acoustic
15. How Long Blues
- possible that Nobody Knows You was performed here -
16. Layla - acoustic version
17. Can't Find My Way Home
18. Split Decision
19. Voodoo Chile

Encore:
20. Sweet Home Chicago / Watch Yourself*
21. Going Down*

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:05

tatters
The sound was the best I've ever heard in a building that size; even in the upper level at the far end of the arena, it was bright, clear, and loud. Lots of times you read about how someone or other performed in a 20,000 seat arena and was magically able to transform it into a small club, but it really DID feel like that at this show. Truly remarkable.

I saw them last weekend at the Verizon Center in DC, another big cavernous arena and the sound was the best that I have ever heard in the building/arena. Usually the sound sucks in there but it really was good sound, bright and clear.

Date: June 18, 2009 17:22

1cdog
tatters

I saw them last weekend at the Verizon Center in DC, another big cavernous arena and the sound was the best that I have ever heard in the building/arena. Usually the sound sucks in there but it really was good sound, bright and clear.

Yeah, even when Eric was alone onstage with just an acoustic, the sense of intimacy was just incredible; like you were hanging out at the bar at the back of a small club. I noticed that in addition the usual PA columns above either side of the stage, they also had a PA stack suspended right over the soundboard. That's what got the sound out there to the people sitting way in the back.

Date: June 19, 2009 16:29

No Little Wing the last two nights. I'm glad I got to see them do it in Columbus, but would have liked it if they had done that one and Voodoo Chile back to back like they did at MSG and at the first two shows from this tour. Those two songs played together last long enough to fill an LP side, and it's really beautiful, mind-blowing stuff. Clapton, from the great power trio Cream, whose members are all alive, paying tribute to that OTHER great power trio, the one that no longer has any living members, but whose music lives on through Eric, and with him, Steve Winwood, who played on Jimi's 1968 studio recording of Voodoo Chile. In fact, THREE members of the early Traffic lineup; Winwood, Mason, and Wood, all played on the Electric Ladyland album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-19 16:31 by tatters.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: June 19, 2009 16:40

Clapton (and Winwood too) is a good example that good music wins it in the end from posing and circus acts like the Stones unfortunately are these days.
Whether he plays with Derek Trucks, the Allmond brothers, or whomever, Clapton these days knows musically still how to fascinate me.
And his setlists are not that exciting themselves in general. But it is his music talents and that of his band membes that really counts.
I don't like his mid eighties stuff and some of the stuff from the 90-ties but six/70'ties period and late 90-ties/2000 and on his brilliant I think

Lots of great sounding bootlegs out there too!

Date: June 19, 2009 17:02

kees
Clapton (and Winwood too) is a good example that good music wins it in the end from posing and circus acts like the Stones unfortunately are these days.
Whether he plays with Derek Trucks, the Allmond brothers, or whomever, Clapton these days knows musically still how to fascinate me.
And his setlists are not that exciting themselves in general. But it is his music talents and that of his band membes that really counts.
I don't like his mid eighties stuff and some of the stuff from the 90-ties but six/70'ties period and late 90-ties/2000 and on his brilliant I think

Lots of great sounding bootlegs out there too!

Agreed, but I also think Eric needs people like Steve to bring out the best in him. Last time I saw Eric solo, in 2001, it was throughly pleasant and enjoyable, but it was NOTHING compared with the show I saw him do this past Monday night. I mean, the solos just ERUPTED from his guitar. The second of his three solos on Voodoo Chile might have been the best thing I've ever heard in my life. There's no way he would have "went for it" like that if someone of Steve's caliber had not been onstage with him. With Eric, it's not a question of "What is he capable of?", it's a question of "How much is he willing to show you on any given particular night?" He'll show you a lot more if he's got someone like Steve up there to challenge him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-20 01:03 by tatters.

Date: June 19, 2009 22:57

Tatters, you express that so well, agreed, on how others inspire Eric.
That's why he runs his Guitarfest, I think. That solo was fantastic, for sure!

Chicago was a very, very good show. It's hard for me to say which was better, because in Columbus I was up in front. Good energy in Chicago too, really revved up the crowd. Got to hear Crossroads in Chicago, and then Buddy Guy came on for the encores.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 30, 2009 19:04

Well it was finally my turn last night. Don't know if I can add much more than what everyone else has said about this tour. Outstanding show. Highlighted by Winwood doing Low Spark of High Heeled Boys solo on the piano. Final show of the tour tonight at the Hollywood Bowl. I believe Bluzdude is going. Here is last night's setlist:

01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. After Midnight
04. Presence of The Lord
05. Sleeping in the Ground
06. Glad
07. Well Alright
08. Tough Luck Blues
09. Pearly Queen
10. There's A River
11. Forever Man
12. Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Steve Winwood solo
13. Driftin' - acoustic
14. How Long Blues
15. Layla - acoustic version
16. Can't Find My Way Home
17. Split Decision
18. Voodoo Chile

Encore:
19. Cocaine
20. Dear Mr. Fantasy

Date: July 3, 2009 01:38

Georgia On My Mind was dropped in favor of Low Spark for four of the tour's final five shows; Houston, Vegas, Oakland, and LA. I got GOMM, but used it as my bathroom break song, Steve's organ reminding me a little too much of seventh-inning stretch at the ballpark. Would have stayed in my seat for Low Spark, though.

Date: July 3, 2009 04:35

Oh, yeah, I would have liked to hear that one too...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 3, 2009 04:38

Low Spark - it was a nice treat, didn't expect it. the Bowl again had great sound.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home