Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Rambler from Brussels '73
Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: June 8, 2009 01:02

Just finished listening to this, after not having played it in a while. Really, is there any point in listening to anything else after this? Simply awesome. Keith's guitar is a monster, and you get the sense the entire song revolves around it. Taylor's leads are mind-boggling, and Jagger puts on a real vocal performance (and of course Charlie and Bill great as always). What a gem.

Re: Rambler from Brussels '73
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 8, 2009 02:12

Thats a strong argument,alright!

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: June 8, 2009 11:06

If you ever get a chance to hear this on the quad version you can really hear taylor shine

Posted by: honkytonkwomen ()
Date: June 8, 2009 11:18

my personal fav. So dirty, so earthy. To begin full of caress, but then she will be f*****! Wow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-08 14:53 by honkytonkwomen.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 8, 2009 11:25

My fave version of Midnight Rambler too. I had the good fortune to see them at Wembley in 73 and that version (early show) I preserved on tape. But Brussels has the edge.

Date: June 8, 2009 11:36

Silver Dagger
Brussels has the edge.

exactly!

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 8, 2009 14:19

Silver Dagger
My fave version of Midnight Rambler too. I had the good fortune to see them at Wembley in 73 and that version (early show) I preserved on tape. But Brussels has the edge.

Yep!

I do love the early Wembley show...too bad the late show is in such a crap recording...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 8, 2009 14:55

JMoisica
Just finished listening to this, after not having played it in a while. Really, is there any point in listening to anything else after this? Simply awesome. Keith's guitar is a monster, and you get the sense the entire song revolves around it. Taylor's leads are mind-boggling, and Jagger puts on a real vocal performance (and of course Charlie and Bill great as always). What a gem.

Nope.

Simply the greatest live performance of any song by any act in the history of popular music.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 8, 2009 14:56

AH,the great duo on that disc: YCAGWYW and MR, 25 minutes!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: June 8, 2009 15:04

Gazza
JMoisica

Nope.

Simply the greatest live performance of any song by any act in the history of popular music.

..with the exception of Satisfaction from the Gimme Shelter movie - my personal all time fave performance by anyone on the planet.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 8, 2009 15:04

for me they can play ONLY Midnight Rambler in this form. 2 hours, without breath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-08 19:42 by honkytonkwomen.

Posted by: yapper ()
Date: June 8, 2009 15:35

I think Brussels is one of those shows that has this huge reputation for being great, and it is, but its just a typical show from that time. People are conditioned to like that show because the Stones fans say its great,so if the fans say its great, then they think that they have to agree.

Really, I don't like the way Midnight Rambler starts. Its way too fast. The true highlight of that show is Angie to me.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 8, 2009 15:45

yapper
I think Brussels is one of those shows that has this huge reputation for being great, and it is, but its just a typical show from that time. People are conditioned to like that show because the Stones fans say its great,so if the fans say its great, then they think that they have to agree.

Well, its unquestionably one of their most consistently brilliant tours and in an era where most recordings arent great quality, it helps that it's preserved in brilliant sound. Therefore, its natural that it's seen as the definitive show from that period.

Performance wise though it is a great show even for that era (although the boot also contains some songs from London). Personally, I think that the afternoon show from Wembley 8th September is of a similar standard performance wise (its also a great recording for a 1973 audience tape, although obviously not quite as perfect as the 'Brussels' stuff)

Date: June 8, 2009 17:08

yapper

Really, I don't like the way Midnight Rambler starts. Its way too fast. The true highlight of that show is Angie to me.

The version of Gimme Shelter from Brussels is @#$%&' ace, too, although the intro is horrid...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 8, 2009 17:32

GYYYO! is as good as well ..

Date: June 8, 2009 17:37

Amsterdamned
GYYYO! is as good as well ..

I actually still think the Ya-yas version of MR is still *the* definitive version, although Brussels is excellent as is the Leeds '71 version...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 8, 2009 17:38

angie & rambler are amazing at Brussels

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 8, 2009 18:48

I like the Ya-Ya's version a lot -- probably the classic version of the song.

Brussels -- I agree it starts too fast, it's a bit out of control in the beginning and lacks the swagger of the 69 version, and the same could be said of the end...However..

The middle part, consisting of about 5 - 6 minutes, may be the best recorded Rolling Stones music ever -- the whole band working the song's dynamnics, gradually increasing the tension until it becomes some kind of force of nature. Everyone in the band is amazing in this segment, but the parts also work together to create something greater than the sum of the parts. I can't brag on it enough...It's real music -- something very few bands have ever achieved...

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: June 8, 2009 19:45

Ya-Ya's version for me. Come to think of it, Ya-Ya's version for every song!

Date: June 8, 2009 20:01

The Ya-Yas version of Sympathy For the Devil is @#$%& awesome, too...the dueling guitar solos at the end are incredible...

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 8, 2009 20:21

I agree with Gazza.

MR from Brussels '73, 1st show is the best piece of music I know.
It's probably the 12 minutes where the Rolling Stones had their peak.

N

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 8, 2009 20:40

The Brussells Rambler is huge, but it is not in my top 10 list. Probably one of those amazing 78 Miss Yous or Imaginations, the Mocambo Around And Around, the 75 Horses, the 81 Beast of Burden, Devil and Star Star 75, 73 Heartbreaker, 69 JJF, 2006 Rambler ...

C

Date: June 8, 2009 20:49

I"m listening to the first Frankfurt show from '73 and it, too, is smokin'....Mick T's soloing in Gimme Shelter is phenomenal...

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: June 8, 2009 21:09

It Rocks!

Posted by: Lazy Bones ()
Date: June 8, 2009 21:16

WeLoveYou
Gazza
JMoisica

Nope.

..with the exception of Satisfaction from the Gimme Shelter movie - my personal all time fave performance by anyone on the planet.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Not that it compares to '69 (imo), but I thought the rendition of Satisfaction from SAL was one of the film's highlights.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: June 8, 2009 21:19

best version of any song I've ever heard live, and like many of you, I've heard my share.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 05:41 by chelskeith.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 8, 2009 21:32

great version...but prefer the Ya-Yas version.....better vocals and better pace/groove

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: June 8, 2009 21:38

yapper
I think Brussels is one of those shows that has this huge reputation for being great, and it is, but its just a typical show from that time.

OK, so it's "typically great". Not faint praise.

Many of the elements of this MR are there in other shows here and there during the tour, but (for example) the interaction between Taylor and Richards during the jam (both the fast and the slower Muddy Waters parts) surpasses what was done at the other shows of this tour.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 8, 2009 21:52

Funny and coincidental, I was listening to Brussels on the way in to work today. I d/l'ed some 'remastered' version I'd found of it, and I don't like it as much as the original ones I already had. (horns not loud enough on Happy and T-Dice, for example). Anyway, Rambler on Brussels is phenom, although a bit fast out of the gate. Keith's riffing/solo early on is great. The middle section cannot be beat. Jagger's growling 'oh-yeah's' are fabulous. Then he reaches for high notes right after (oww baybuh!) how cool is that?

About Gimme Shelter - on every recording I have of Brussels, GS is the version where right about as Mick T launches into the solo, Keith's guitar suddenly ups in volume in the right channel and his monster riffing is right in your face. Is that the Brussels version of GS or the Wembley one? And whichever one it is, how does the other version of GS compare, I don't think I've heard that other one.

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 8, 2009 22:14

Oh..and..what is this 'quad' version of Brussels? Is that different sounding? Better? Worse??

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home