Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Are the Stones really a "band" anymore?
Posted by: mryapp ()
Date: May 22, 2009 19:06

Elmer Fudd pronounces it "wubbish".

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 22, 2009 19:43

open-g
lady jayne said it best when she asked a question?
well I did add "+ the whole post" , didn't I?

what is rubbish anyway?
I don't believe this needs to explained. if you were from, lets say China, I'd give it a go.
the definition of what is a band or not, would rather keep the talk on topic.

i can see chinatown from my window, if that helps....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 22, 2009 19:44

mryapp
Elmer Fudd pronounces it "wubbish".

well, then elmer said it best

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 22, 2009 20:02

T&A
open-g
lady jayne said it best when she asked a question?
well I did add "+ the whole post" , didn't I?

what is rubbish anyway?
I don't believe this needs to explained. if you were from, lets say China, I'd give it a go.
the definition of what is a band or not, would rather keep the talk on topic.

i can see chinatown from my window, if that helps....

don't they pronounce it lubbish?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 22, 2009 20:19

Is that an academic question ? Don't beleive it being so, I obviously think they are. A Tour Band. And that is enough for me.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 22, 2009 21:15

Gazza - A Bigger Bang is the first album The Rolling Stones recorded on Pro Tools exclusively. Pro Tools has been around since the early 1990s so it's possible they edited/overdubbed on Pro Tools after uploading the 2" multi-track masters, if not overdubbing most likely and probably editing, for Voodoo, Stripped and Bridges and what turned out to be the Licks sessions.

And who knows how the live albums were recorded.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 23, 2009 00:07

are they a band in the sense of needing to put out a hit album and single on a regular basis in fear of being forgotten the answer is no. they became legends long ago and are basically a touring band who put out an occasional album to satisfy their loyal fan base

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: May 23, 2009 00:51

I think The Stones should do what's natural for them. And that's what I think they do.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 23, 2009 01:50

skipstone
Gazza - A Bigger Bang is the first album The Rolling Stones recorded on Pro Tools exclusively. Pro Tools has been around since the early 1990s so it's possible they edited/overdubbed on Pro Tools after uploading the 2" multi-track masters, if not overdubbing most likely and probably editing, for Voodoo, Stripped and Bridges and what turned out to be the Licks sessions.

And who knows how the live albums were recorded.

Thanks for the technical info, skipstone. What I'm getting at was that a lot of the recordings for ABB were done at sessions where, for various reasons, the entire band were unable to be present in the same room at the same time. That wasnt the case in previous sessions.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 23, 2009 04:47

And to add - it was a makeshift studio in the living room. home-recording so to say.
btw, where was it at?

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: May 23, 2009 08:04

They are more business than band now, and have been since Steel Wheels.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 23, 2009 15:24

ghostryder13
are they a band in the sense of needing to put out a hit album and single on a regular basis in fear of being forgotten the answer is no. they became legends long ago and are basically a touring band who put out an occasional album to satisfy their loyal fan base

Like a Monkees reunion tour?? winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 23, 2009 15:40

Well, if they are no longer a band, then just what the Hell are they?

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: May 23, 2009 16:29

mryapp

It appears 'band' has some mystic meaning beyond a group of musicians who perform music together for some around here!

Date: May 23, 2009 16:32

Right.Maybe someday we will have understanding.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 23, 2009 17:07

howzabout we agree they certainly aren't what most reasonable would consider a "working band." that "work" for everyone?

Date: May 23, 2009 22:13

UrbanSteel wrote

A Bigger Bang is not a "Rolling Stones" band album .

It is a Jagger and Richards album , the have recorded the whole album , and they told Ronnie how and what to play and for Charlie was a basic drum line done by Mick .You can say that Ronnie and Charlie on this album are session musicians , they are not from the begin on the album , only for the work they are told to do.

I can not understand...How is it possible that Mick teaches/shows/commands to Charlie Boy Watts what to play as a drummer??. How can Charlie admit it?. It does not seem logical nor respectful precisely. Where is the respect of Mick? Where is the proud of Charlie?. By the way...is there something about drumming that may be tought by Mick to Charlie??

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 24, 2009 06:48

sweet neo con
ghostryder13

Like a Monkees reunion tour?? winking smiley
lol oh god no btw why did the monkees ever need davy jones?

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 24, 2009 08:08

Doxa
But is the real Rolling Stones only the business heart of the band or an inner circle gentleman club: Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ron? If we are talking about the band as a musical entity, there are so many musicians when the Stones hit the road. For example, does Darryl Jones belong to the band? What about Chuck Leavell? Blondie? Lisa? etc. I think the question what actually IS The Rolling Stones today is a good question. If we are talking about the effect to the band I think musically Chuck Leavell is more important than Ronnie Wood, and decisionwise Cohl is at least equal to what Andrew Loog Oldman once was.

I think the 'actual' Rolling Stones can be 'determined' solely in businesswise to be described in corporation terms. Something to the effect that Mick and Keith lead the business, with Charlie's eternal support, and Ronnie is a silent share-holder - get some profits but has no actual power to decision-making. All the rest are business partners and employers, etc.

And of course, one way to see them as a band is to see them as a "boy band" (with its own nostalgic flavor) - The "Stones" is a a four-member PR unity appearing in premieres, interviews, pictures, etc. In this sense The Rolling Stones do not have a bass player which is quite incredible fact within the scheme of a rock and roll band.

- Doxa
mick, keith, charlie, ronnie, and bobby keys belongs to rolling stones, everyone else = vegas stones lol

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 24, 2009 23:18

mryapp

Virtual Corporation according to Keith in the Four Flicks documentary.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home