Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: STAR STAR CENSORED ON 2009 REMASTER
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:14

CBII
In the time of nonstop obscenities in music, what would provoke Universal in to do something like that?

Universal can only remix stuff they have gotten by The Rolling Stones to remix.

Go to Mick Jagger and ask him where he has lost the other tapes ... ;-)

Posted by: JK ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:19

Is Star Star a new censored version or the old US version?

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:21

JK
Is Star Star a new censored version or the old US version?

Very good question! ;-)

I don't have the old US-clean LP-version to compare,sorry ...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:21

Sparks Will Fly too? The radio clean version.....
"HEY I'm gonna fruoszzzzkk your sweet axxxzzz".
grinning smiley

Stupid and sounds horrible on these new remasters.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: leahfoxx ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:50

Good point CBll...strange to see the "original gangsters" lyrics(so mild by today's comparisons) being edited while other stuff obscenity wise is so over the top...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:52

UMG is retaining the essence, remember? So it's the original Star Star censored version. They're RETAINING ESSENCE!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:52

Its the same version as heard on the Atlantic Records vinyl or cassette in the seventies. Universal did not attempt to censor anew, Promotone pulled the wrong master.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:53

Maybe it's the new pope.confused smiley

Date: May 18, 2009 20:58

He also did sort of the same thing with Brown Sugar lyrics at some point didn't he?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 18, 2009 20:58

bv
Got this... did not get time to look into it. Comments?

Bjornulf

-----

Just wondering if Iam the only to notice that Star star has been censored on the 2009 reissue of Goat Head soup.
I qiute annoyed at this considering the fight the Stones had to get the track released. After 30 years this is like tampering with a historical document.
In the song the line "I heard about yor cordorouys, now thats what I call obescne, the tricks with the fruit are kinda cute I bet you keep your p..sy clean".

I'm more concerned with the word POLAROIDS being changed to cordorouys!!!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:29

Hold it. I have a 12-yr-old daughter who likes the Stones, but I DON'T want her to giggle when a curse word is uttered in a song. She doesn't listen to rap, so cursing does have a shock value. Admittedly, Daddy's language sometimes turns the air blue, so she's heard it. However, I do NOT want certain words inserted into her daily conversation.

That being said, I'm thinking that Jagger & Co want their music to be exposed to the widest possible audience. Words like f*ck and p*ssy don't offend me one whit, but, seriously, would you want YOUR young daughter or son thinking these words are acceptable for common usage, say, at school?

The whole argument is silly. WE know what they are saying, but as a parent, I do have some rules for my child. I NEVER EVER said "f*ck you, Dad", and I hope to never hear it from my own child.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:32

.....wtf?

....I understand trying to honor the original recordings but they (Stones) fought hard and won the right to publish the art unaltered. That's what is really at stake....the integrity of the art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-18 21:36 by Rip This.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 18, 2009 21:37

bassplayer617
Hold it. I have a 12-yr-old daughter who likes the Stones, but I DON'T want her to giggle when a curse word is uttered in a song. She doesn't listen to rap, so cursing does have a shock value. Admittedly, Daddy's language sometimes turns the air blue, so she's heard it. However, I do NOT want certain words inserted into her daily conversation.

That being said, I'm thinking that Jagger & Co want their music to be exposed to the widest possible audience. Words like f*ck and p*ssy don't offend me one whit, but, seriously, would you want YOUR young daughter or son thinking these words are acceptable for common usage, say, at school?

The whole argument is silly. WE know what they are saying, but as a parent, I do have some rules for my child. I NEVER EVER said "f*ck you, Dad", and I hope to never hear it from my own child.

Erm, are you serious? Then don't make her listen to @#$%&. I mean, this cannot really be your argument eye rolling smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:12

bassplayer617
would you want YOUR young daughter or son thinking these words are acceptable for common usage, say, at school?

No, I wouldn't do that, but I don't think censoring words is the solution either. That's like deleting four-letter-words in Webster's dictionary.
It wouldn't make any sense. It's better to teach kids common sense and they will probably figure out
what is acceptable behavior in society.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:23

Think we should leave the lawlessness and slithery from the sixties and seventies behind uswinking smiley

I wasn't going to buy them anyway, but if this releases are ment for the the whole world then it s.......I love to hear a statement from Mick

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:26

"Dont waste yer money. LISTEN TO THE LPS!"

Say no more....

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:31

Unbelievable and very disappointing.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:42

It's a joke that Universal has the edited version of "Star Star" on the remaster. I won't buy it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:44

Further discussion here:

[www.iorr.org]

Apart from trying to obscure the word pussy, there is also a further attempt at obscuring the line "And I'm laying bets that you're gonna get John Wayne before he dies" at the end of the song.
I wonder if she ever did?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Star Star censored on 2009 remaster
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 18, 2009 22:55

About capital letters in headline:
I was lazy and used cut & paste from my incoming e-mail. It is fixed now. Sorry!

About taking action:
My action is to make this public. As there are two million people on IORR every year reading the news pages, including many journalists from major press, Universal will know that the truth is now in the public.

About bad boys Stones:
You have to live with the fact that the Stones have a rebel sort of image. They have had censorship running after them all the time, even at Superbowl, in China, cover of Street Fighting Man, and so on. The way Mick ended the record contract with a blues song never released for the public says it all. That's the Stones.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:03

Horrendous.

Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:05

It still makes no sense to release a censored version of a song that was previously remastered uncensored on the CBS and Virgin reissues. Universal will not sell more copies by restoring the original US vinyl edit of "Star Star" - in fact they will sell less.

Date: May 18, 2009 23:05

I'm sorry for my ignorance BV...but could you explain that last part about Mick ending the contract to a newbie?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:08

leahfoxx
I'm sorry for my ignorance BV...but could you explain that last part about Mick ending the contract to a newbie?

They released a song called @#$%& Blues to fulfil the contract and at the same time piss of the record company.

Posted by: TERRY H ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:08

Re: HIGHWIRE:
I'm sorry, but it's "hot guns and cold, cold lies", not "nights".
It's love that song, too.

Re: Star Star: Did they also censor the last part about John Wayne, as on the original release?
Just how many re-masters can you put out, anyway?

I never heard Sympathy censored. Sometimes Mick leaves out a verse in any given song. Personal pronouns have a habit of changing, too!
I did notice on "Shine A Light" that he did leave out the "black girls" line.
Maybe he just doesn't want to bother with that controversy anymore. It was just a dumb joke, after all.

I love Keith's "Good Eeevening." On Shine A Light, though. Makes me laugh every time.

I wish they would release Rewind on DVD. The video quality on the VHS stinks, (as VHS usually does) and my laser disc player is still working, but it would be nice to have a DVD.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:10

Will Some Girls be censored? Coz if it is they will have shown that they are a bunch of pussys who disrespect their own work.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:36

1. I'm sticking with Mickboy.

2. Changing the words to Some Girls in concert was a different matter entirely. That line was offensive to blacks. Anyway it's more accurate: some white girls want to get f*cked all night too!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:46

bv
About capital letters in headline:
I was lazy and used cut & paste from my incoming e-mail. It is fixed now. Sorry!

Don't worry, was just joking.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:46

I think the song CS Blues is the most brilliant way of saying thank you and goodbye to a recording deal that you want to terminate but they still want you on the hook for one more production. It is not something you play to your kids but it made it's purpose. Bad boys. And a must for the collector of course. Also... Fact is it was released officially as a bonus track in a box set in Germany, think that was a project Dieter Hoffman worked on locally. Got it just in time before the bonus single was removed ... once they realized what they had done...

Bjornulf

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:51

Quote to BV

It is not something you play to your kids but it made it's purpose.

That's right this is the only tune I never played trough my speakers (only with my headphone) just for the sake of my kids

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home