Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Stones not in touch with their fans
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 04:04

ajc68
In 2001 the Stones were planning a 40th anniversary 6-CD box set out rarities (I'm sure similar to Springsteen's excellent "Tracks" box set). Unfortunately, it never came to pass. I went back and found the article I had read back then on Billboard.com. It's such a bummer that it never came to pass.

[www.billboard.com]

Stones Readying 40th Anniversary Box Set
December 07, 2001, 11:30 AM ET
Nigel Williamson, London
The Rolling Stones plan to celebrate the group's 40th anniversary next year with the release of a box set, featuring rarities, outtakes, and unreleased live tracks taken from different stages of the band's career.

A spokesperson says the group is not yet ready to announce plans for its 40th anniversary, but guitarist Ron Wood has revealed that the Stones are is already at work compiling the box set in an interview due to be published in January the British rock magazine Uncut. He also suggested the release would be supported by tour dates in autumn 2002.

Details remain sketchy, but according to Wood, all members of the group were recently delivered "hundreds of hours" of tapes and have been sifting through them to select potential material for the project. In the interview, Wood says he has already been comparing notes with Stones guitarist Keith Richards over what should be released from the tapes.

Next year marks the 40th anniversary of the Stones' first appearance on the stage of London's Marquee Club, on July 12, 1962. However, according to Wood, the commemorative box is unlikely to be released before September. Mick Jagger told Billboard last month that "we're trying to cook something up. I don't want to talk about it too much yet, but the 40th anniversary is a good party to give."

And in retrospect , what is everyones opinion of " Rarities " ?

Date: May 6, 2009 04:09

kees
if Ronnie and Keith clean up their act and the set list changes, for sure I will go Why not?

Well we'll have to sit together and finish this discussion .. And if I see you tapping your foot to HTW or any other warhorse there's gonna be hell to pay !! LOL

Posted by: kees ()
Date: May 6, 2009 04:11

ok Boston - good one to finsh. You enjoy the current Stones I will treasure all what has been made/performed till say 81/82

Date: May 6, 2009 04:18

Well thank you very much and now I think it's time for us
All to go. so from all of us to all of you not forgetting
The boys in the band and our producer, Reg Thorpe,
We'd like to say "God Bless". So, if you're out tonight,
Don't forget, if you're on your bike, wear white....amen.

Posted by: Bobby Keys ()
Date: May 6, 2009 04:29

A FINE CLOSING REMARK .. well said boston !

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 6, 2009 04:57

...Well the ballrooms and smelly bordellos
And dressing rooms filled with parasites.
On stage the band has got problems,
They're a bag of nerves on first nights.
He ain't tied down to no home town,
Yeah, and he thought he was wreckless.
You think he's bad, he thinks you're mad,
Yeah, and the guitar player gets restless.

And his coat is torn and frayed,
It's seen much better days.
Just as long as the guitar plays
Let it steal your heart away,
Let it steal your heart away....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 6, 2009 05:50

Touched a spinnin' fan once .....She almost bent two fingers off my right hand

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 06:53

boston2006

And in retrospect , what is everyones opinion of " Rarities " ?

I remember when Rarities came out I was like, oh, there's the box set...ugh! At least it had some B-sides including Through the Lonely Nights and the long version of Miss You. BUT....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 6, 2009 07:17

kees
One of my questions was ' do the listen / communicate with their hard core fans'?

According to what they release and play during the tours, I feel 0 But BV denies that and he mentions 'we' don't want any outtakes/rehearsals.

But BV, you don't want any of their 78 and 75 period?

I have each and every studio outtake and live recording. I have more than thousand bootlegs. This is not about me. I am a superfan. A manic collector who need to hear and see everything they do. I do not need public releases, and they do not want to publish something that is not made for the public. And I have tapes, minidiscs and CD's of almost every show. I have hundreds of versions of many songs. Why should I demand all of this released for the public? The public would not appreciate it, they would misunderstand, and people would accuse the Stones for caching in on their name. Whatever they do someone would pick on them. For me I take what they choose to release in the public, the rest I get wherever it is available. There is a big difference in the open market and what superfans need and do get.

Bjornulf

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 07:58

Thanks BV, good post.

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: May 6, 2009 08:10

bv
kees
One of my questions was ' do the listen / communicate with their hard core fans'?

According to what they release and play during the tours, I feel 0 But BV denies that and he mentions 'we' don't want any outtakes/rehearsals.

I have each and every studio outtake and live recording. I have more than thousand bootlegs. This is not about me. I am a superfan. A manic collector who need to hear and see everything they do. I do not need public releases, and they do not want to publish something that is not made for the public. And I have tapes, minidiscs and CD's of almost every show. I have hundreds of versions of many songs. Why should I demand all of this released for the public? The public would not appreciate it, they would misunderstand, and people would accuse the Stones for caching in on their name. Whatever they do someone would pick on them. For me I take what they choose to release in the public, the rest I get wherever it is available. There is a big difference in the open market and what superfans need and do get.
Thanks for some common sense,BV.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 6, 2009 08:30

bv
kees

the same holds true for every superfan of every act. but, the stones are in the distinct minority in terms of delivery in this area. so, i think the premise that they are out of touch remains valid...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 6, 2009 08:32

Remember when Hugh Downs Used to be on 20/20 and at the end of every show he said "We'll be in touch, so you stay in touch." ? That was awesome.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 09:00

Really The Stones have always had a lackadaisical attitude towards their back catalog. They don't like dwelling on the past, and have very little interest in rehashing it, unless it is a greatest hits package. Does that mean they have lost connection with their fans? No. Hey they are the original punks and often have that attitude, "you don't like it the piss off!" And that is hard sometimes coming from a band you love. Yeah, it can be frustrating and irritating, especially when their contemporaries are releasing and repackaging so much in a nice way...so naturally, Stones fans wonder, "when will we get our due?" Your probably going to have to wait until they really do retire to get the treasure trove of stuff. It will come...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-06 09:09 by whitem8.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 6, 2009 10:53

I see superfan MexicoStones of again.

Rock on ddduuuudddeeee!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:11

alimente
After Years of hoping and defending them, I finally realized and came to terms with the fact that the Stones are no band in the common sense anymore - despite the fact that the key members are still on board, they are basically no different from other oldies acts like the Temptations or Searchers with no or only a handful of original members, playing the old hits to whatever audience whos willing to pay for them, having fun on stage, but without any real creativity left behind the whole adventure. If theres any new music, it only tries to recapture pasts glory, without any real spark, fire and inspiration - no real band effort, no real heart in it - seldom played live, and if played live, the majority of the audience doesnt care for it.

At least other oldies acts plunder their vaults for unreleased recordings from the past, to please their fans and probably also because they need the income - unlike the Stones who are full of cash.

It's sad, but I feel exactly the same.

Date: May 6, 2009 11:21

Talk about doom and gloom!

Blimey....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:27

bv
I don't agree. They have regorded certain songs and they are their original art. Any rehearsals and unfinished songs are not for the publig. An artist should be free to relese or rerect a work, and it is the sole right of the artist to protect his/her works. I have all the Stones unfinished works and I am lucky to be able to listen to them as a specially interested fan, but I can't see why they should release 40 minutes of Sympathy For The Devil recordings or 100 alternate takes with premature unfinished songs from a certain album. They choose how they should be viewede in the market. They do not want the radio to play anything unfinished. Simple as that.

The latest tour A Bigger Bang was voted most popular tour ever, and most of the songs as voted on in the IORR Stones poll was listing the songs the Stones did perform on that tour, so I do not agree on the statement about them not performing popular songs.

I never go to RS.com but they are a band you know, not a web site. I bet Keith don't have a PC. Why should they care about the web? I would rather see them live than see them on a web site trying to sell me records I do already have.

They care about the fans for sure and I have been experiencing that since my very first contact with them many many years ago.

BV,

I by and large fully agree with your views, let me say first of all. However, I do think that there is nevertheless this matter of perception. In general, it's the little things, that over a period of time, ultimately contribute to the establishment of any particular perception. In this respect I think that the Stones compare a little less favorably than other great bands, the WHO are one that spring to mind as an example. They come across as being a bit more user friendly and accessible to their fans. They do this through things like having a better and more informative, and more frequently updated website, offering soundboard recordings of their shows when they tour, putting on nice club gigs once in a while (like the three pre-Xmas shows at the Indigo2 in London). These are the sorts of things that the Stones don't do, and with all due respect, I think the commonly held perception that "the Stones are not in touch with their fans" might not prevail to quite the extent it so obviously does, if they were to adopt some of these measures themselves. It would serve them very well I feel.

Only my two cents worth.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:38

Justin
Two words to describe their career at this point: AUTO PILOT.

You can't blame them for not challenging themselves or the audience when everything is working so well like a well oiled machine. Why change it up when no matter what they do...they still make 500 million dollars each tour??

At this point, they can't be bothered with stronger set lists, better websites or opening up vaults...they're nearing the end of the road. They're just enjoying the ride no matter how unfair or unpleasant it may be for the rest of us....

Well said .thumbs up
My fanship is may be blind ,unwavering and socially crippling.But I belive they still have nice gifts for us.But one can't say Keith and Ronnie were in very good shape these last years.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:44

i'm a superfan too, but that doesnt stop me from being critical.
blind fanatism always leaves some questionmarks....

Date: May 6, 2009 11:47

and once again: i'd like to know how many people voted for the best tour, and even more interesting what kind of fans (age, sex). probably hard to tell. but without those facts a statistic is worth nothing!
i just cant imagine that ABB would be higher rated then everything between 69- 81.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:54

guitarbastard
i just cant imagine that ABB would be higher rated then everything between 69- 81.
It's obvious .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:55

HelterSkelter
Compare their contemporaries -

BEATLES

- 3 DOUBLE ANTHOLOGY CD's with BRILLIANT OUTTAKES, ALTERNATIVE VERSIONS,
LIVE VERSIONS, DEMO'S

- ANTHOLOGY DVD BOX SET WITH 5 Discs, BRILLIANTLY DONE

- REMASTERS COMING 9/9/09 of entire ORIGINAL CATALOGUE that sound like 11
from 1 to 10 - listen to the remastered YELLOW SUBMARINE from a couple
years ago, or LOVE - Amazing Sound...

BOB DYLAN - man, where do I begin on box sets and unreleased material. DYLAN'S been very bad about releasing films and concerts on DVD but the music output is amazing.

All this takes WORK! Finding the boxes of tapes, having them restored when necessary, listening to them, going thru the legal maze regarding copyright, selecting the best new music, organizing it, hiring someone to do the artwork... it's time and money spent for an unpredictable result (20000 copies worldwide for 4-cd set?)

Why do this when at the same time you can work for 4 weeks on a bad CD of new music (ABcool smiley, then go on a mediocre sold-out world tour and pocket hundreds of million dollars?

Date: May 6, 2009 12:45

SwayStones
guitarbastard
It's obvious .

what is obvious?

Date: May 6, 2009 12:48

"mediocre sold-out world tour"

Contradiction aint it?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 6, 2009 12:52

kees is right and we know it. I mean, seriously guys. They deliver little to no value for money these days sad smiley

Date: May 6, 2009 12:54

ablett
"mediocre sold-out world tour"

Contradiction aint it?

why contradiction? firts of all it was not sold out (germany had half empty stadiums) and financial success has nothing to do with being artisticly/musicly interesting or good!

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: May 6, 2009 13:40

We all the bootlegs but wouldn't people want to hear the FULL El Mocambo in perfect quality? Or a perfect quality 1978 show? Why release Rarities cd, shit sales, when they could release one of the above mentioned shows?

Date: May 6, 2009 14:22

I tell you what why don't the Stones pack it in then you can moan as much as any Pink Floyd fan?

Being as most 'Superfans' on here have access or own many of the said boots and outakes you can all grizzle about fresh air.......

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: May 6, 2009 15:09

With all respect to the critics and idolism I would like to drop a few lines.

1) If the Stones would do like proposed 3 indigo shows it would be a money making thing for Ticketmaster and ebayers. How on earth would they be able to distribute it to the "SUperfans"? So rather leave it out.

2) The Stones began to vary the setlists gradually in 1989 and by 2003 we got like 30 different songs in 3 shows if you have been lucky to get the 3plot concert.

3) Bigger Bang did also bring up songs. And of course they will hold the 10 warhorses to keep the audience going. I would have loved to see a different show at least the last night at O2, but it did not happen. Still I got the song SHE WAS HOT which was just great.

4) There is no band despite warhorse shows which had the chance to last for more than four decades now.

If they go, I mean if they really would go, again on Tour you will face warhorses again. So either get used to it or criticise without obligation.

Even if I did not see as many shows as BV I am thankful for every minute of each show I was able to spend to see my favourite band.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home