Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: Ten Reasons Why Elvis is Overrated
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:24

Moody Blue a corking album? Thats a bit of a push?
many great singles from the 70's
I'm Leavin, Until its time, Always on my mind, Moody Blue, etc.....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:24

The Ghost Of Good taste
Just Pretend, Patch It Up, Polk Salad Annie, I Just Can't Help Believing, It's Midnight, Promised Land, Burning Love, Hurt, Twenty Days & Twenty Nights..

You're right on target, man!

A couple additions: "I Really Don't Wanna Know" "You'll Think of Me" "It's Your Baby, You Rock It" "Shake a Hand" "She Thinks I Still Care" and "Moody Blue."

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:31

ablett

Pledging My Love, Way Down, Moody Blue, Hurt, He'll Have To Go, She Still Thinks I Care ... all great.

Date: April 21, 2009 21:33

Nikolai
Anyone who's got Sam Cooke's greatest album as their sig is someone of impeccable taste....

Bless you, Sir.

Nikolai
The Guralnick books render the Goldman one pretty redundant. The Goldman is also hateful and mean-spirited in parts, more a knee-jerk character assassination than a plausible bio...

Now I'm intrigued - I'm a sucker for cheap, trashy character assassination-type bios (at least once I've already read more scholarly - and in some cases, hagiographic, ones).

Justin
The Ghost Of Good taste
Just Pretend, Patch It Up, Polk Salad Annie, I Just Can't Help Believing, It's Midnight, Promised Land, Burning Love, Hurt, Twenty Days & Twenty Nights..

A couple additions: "I Really Don't Wanna Know" "You'll Think of Me" "It's Your Baby, You Rock It" "Shake a Hand" "She Thinks I Still Care" and "Moody Blue."

I'm with you on all of that (except for "Shake A Hand" - not a big fan). For my money though, The Possum is the only person who should ever sing "She Thinks I Still Care".

...and, "Moody Blue", "You'll Think Of Me", & "It's Your Baby..." in particular, were unforgivable ommissions on my part. Great, great songs.

Date: April 21, 2009 21:39

The Ghost Of Good taste
Nikolai
Anyone who's got Sam Cooke's greatest album as their sig is someone of impeccable taste....

Bless you, Sir.

Nikolai
The Guralnick books render the Goldman one pretty redundant. The Goldman is also hateful and mean-spirited in parts, more a knee-jerk character assassination than a plausible bio...

Now I'm intrigued - I'm a sucker for cheap, trashy character assassination-type bios (at least once I've already read more scholarly - and in some cases, hagiographic, ones).

Justin
The Ghost Of Good taste

I'm with you on all of that (except for "Shake A Hand" - not a big fan). For my money though, The Possum is the only person who should ever sing "She Thinks I Still Care".

...and, "Moody Blue", "You'll Think Of Me", & "It's Your Baby..." in particular, were unforgivable ommissions on my part. Great, great songs.

Oh, alright then, if you must, but you've been warned. grinning smiley

Date: April 21, 2009 21:40

The Ghost Of Good taste
For my money though, The Possum is the only person who should ever sing "She Thinks I Still Care".

Yeah I was never a fan too much of this song either but then I rediscovered an earlier take of the song where Elvis turns the song bluesier. It's found on the 70's masters box set (Disc 4, I believe). When I heard this again...I was like "hell! where have YOU been hiding all this time??!" I'll have to dig it up on YouTube for ya when I get home!

Posted by: Bobby Keys ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:43

And then one day in desperation
someone starts a thread

He strains and types jotting down thoughts
without using his head

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:45

HEE HEE!! That is pretty good!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 21, 2009 21:46

I will do it for you Justin.............

Date: April 21, 2009 21:53

Okay NICOS...thanks!

I am at work and cannot access YouTube at all (nor even see the links when people post the video).

Date: April 21, 2009 21:54

Justin
The Ghost Of Good taste
For my money though, The Possum is the only person who should ever sing "She Thinks I Still Care".

Yeah I was never a fan too much of this song either but then I rediscovered an earlier take of the song where Elvis turns the song bluesier. It's found on the 70's masters box set (Disc 4, I believe). When I heard this again...I was like "hell! where have YOU been hiding all this time??!" I'll have to dig it up on YouTube for ya when I get home!

I just gave it a listen (love that set, by the way). I regret to say, I still stick with my "Possum Only" edict, Justin.

Date: April 21, 2009 21:55

haha.. fair enough, Ghost!

Date: April 21, 2009 22:54

Where did all of GNAT's brilliant posts go? It appears they have all been deleted - luckily they are quoted liberally in the rebuttal posts, so everyone can still bask in the warm glow of his genius.

Date: April 21, 2009 22:57

Ten Reasons Why Elvis is NOT Overrated

From members at the FECC Board....

1) The Sun Sessions

The body of work that Elvis, Scotty and Bill recorded for Sam Phillips' label are among the most (if not the most) culturally important recordings America has ever produced. They are raw, innovative, pioneering rock n' roll at it's best. Few artists careers can boast achievements of the magnitude and sheer influence these yellow labeled 45's 78's attained. These are (and I say this as a fan of music more than as a fan of Elvis) by FAR the most interesting and mysterious recordings to come from the first generation of rock n' rollers.

2) He defined Rock n' Roll style

Before Elvis the epitome of Rock N' Roll style was Bill Haley. Borrowing elements from his favorite blues musicians and movie stars, Elvis defined the slick rebellious look that set the standard for rock artists to follow in the 1950's and 1960's. In short, In the 1950's he was the king of cool.

3) He went on -in 1956- national television and sang about the "one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store".

Elvis's appearances on the Dorsey Brothers' Stage Show remain some of the most electrifying moments in television history. As Levon Helm says in Elvis 56, "He didn't just look different. He looked dangerous." In an era of puritanical moralists, Elvis didn't censor the lyrics to Big Joe Turner's classic despite the fact that he almost certainly got the metaphor. The CBS Censors didn't.

4) "Hound Dog"/"Don't Be Cruel"

This double A-side was the first rock record to hold two number one songs on the same disc. It is also one of the first records specifically mastered for LOUD playback. The sound was compressed so much that it didn't just come out of the speakers. It attacked you from them. On one side you have Elvis's shredded vocals, Scotty Moore's brilliantly incendiary guitar work, and DJ Fontana and Bill Blacks one-two punch of a rhythm section kicking you in the ass. On the other side you have what Jerry Lee Lewis called "the greatest Rock N' Roll song ever recorded".

5. He helped break down racial barriers

James Brown said "he taught white America to get down", and that's a profound statement. Not only did his mannerisms, and musical style teach white americans, that it was ok to express themselves physically, but his new twists on old black music, helped open the door of discovery of a whole new world to many white teenagers.

6. "Before Elvis There Was Nothing"

He issued the clarion call received by many of the greats from Dylan to Hendrix, From Jimmy Page to a couple of young liverpool lads named John Lennon and Paul McCartney. He was an image of the USA, and captured the great spirit of rebellion that is all of the best Americans. Gives people a different, more appealing, idea of the country than would Dwight Eisenhower or Richard Nixon.

7. His generosity

One of the reasons Elvis has become an enduring part of American pop-mythology is that the guy would actually give a new car to someone he just met. Seriously, how cool is that?

8. The 1968 Singer Special.

Music that bleeds.

9. He showed respect for others.

Whether it was his nuttiest fans, other musicians, or different cultures or traditions such as the martial arts of the orient that he so dearly loved, Elvis always did his best to show appreciation and respect for the dignity and achievements of others. For a white kid raised in the hotbed of prejudice and small mindedness that was the depression era south, that shows a hell of a lot of class.

10. To paraphrase Joe Cocker- He was the greatest white blues singer that ever lived.

While many white artists covering black blues either polished the sound or tried to affect black vocal mannerisms, Elvis did neither but the feel remained. Just listen to "My Baby Left Me", "Mess Of The Blues" or "Reconsider Baby", and you'll know exactly what Joe Cocker was talking about. (from tcb4 and King of the Jungle)

As Peter Guralnick has often eloquently pointed out, Elvis made minority culture the popular culture of the US and much of the rest of the world. This may very well be his greatest achievement. That we take country and blues form the heart of the contemporary musical experience is largely because of Elvis' achievement. I can hear detractors saying that that rap is the heart of contemporary music of youth music. That's absolutely right but the fact that white kids have no compunction about identifying with aggressively ethnic music as their music is impossible without Elvis' breakthrough coming firs.That we have university courses on Hank Willams (or Elvis) and that Chuck Berry is a national institution and not a period sideshow freak is largely due to the change in the national point of view that Elvis created.

Rock n' roll would have existed and would have gained popularity without Elvis. It would not have become the center of American culture. A year before Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show, Bo Diddely was on and it was not a positive experience. Sullivan swore off rock n' roll and had no reason to change his mind until Elvis. He even vowed never to have Elvis on the show. Elvis, singing outsider music, appeared on another show that crushed Sullivan and the heart of the mainstream was forced to welcome him. That fact is very important to remember. Sullivan was not welcoming in a new trend. He had no choice and it was Elvis' popularity and infamy that made that choice for him. The music had popularity before Elvis hit the big time. Elvis made it unignorable. In doing so he changed the entire frame of discourse of American popular culture.

Elvis also was the primary driving force of the youth culture that dominates today's popular culture. More than the other rock icons, parents in the 1950s hated Elvis. He was the one they most criticized, for whom they reserved their greatest vitriol. Their visceral displeasure at Elvis' early music is what gave rock n' roll its other status for kids. It's hard to believe but in the mid-1950s teens did not have a ton of power. They were getting and spending money for the first time and Elvis was the first expression of that power.

Another reason, Elvis is not overrated is his astonishing breadth of styles. Not many performers could cover the ground from "How Great Thou Art," "Jailhouse Rock," "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "There Goes My Everything." Perhaps even more impressive is Elvis' mix of numerous styles. At its best, on pieces varying from "That's All Right" to "I Really Don't Want to Know" his music is beyond conventional genre definition. (likethebike)

Date: April 21, 2009 22:59

Thank you, Justin. If James Brown says he's good, that's good enough for me.

Date: April 21, 2009 23:10

Great tune....................

Alternate version

Live (?)

Date: April 21, 2009 23:17

The Ghost Of Good taste

They were very good friends. JB was heartbroken when Elvis died.

Date: April 21, 2009 23:22

Nikolai
The Ghost Of Good taste

They were very good friends. JB was heartbroken when Elvis died.

Indeed. To wit: "Last time I saw him (Elvis), we sang 'Old Blind Barnabus' together,a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There'll never be another like that soul brother." - James Brown

So says The Godfather, so must you all believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-21 23:22 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Date: April 22, 2009 00:00

The Live Latest Flame aint Elvis

Date: April 22, 2009 00:07

ablett
The Live Latest Flame aint Elvis

Maybe your right ablett, but he sure sound like Elvis......maybe his tongue is a bit filled with alcohol

Posted by: Muppet HiFi ()
Date: April 22, 2009 00:18

The Ghost Of Good taste
Muppet HiFi
"Elvis recording at Stax" means- de facto- Elvis recording with the MG's, prior to Al Jackson Jr.'s death..

Except that it doesn't.

They followed up in 1971 with what would be their last Stax single, "Melting Pot", and their last Stax album, also called Melting Pot...Before the Melting Pot album was recorded, Booker T. Jones had left Stax. In fact, part of the album was recorded in New York, not the Stax studio. Steve Cropper had also become unhappy with business affairs at Stax and soon left. Dunn and Jackson remained on and did session and production work...

[en.wikipedia.org]

"By the time Elvis showed up, I had already left to start my own studio, Trans-Maximus," (Steve) Cropper says.

Now, Al Jackson and Duck Dunn may have played on the sessions, but no Steve Cropper and no Booker T means that Elvis did not play with Booker T & The MGs. Are the New Barbarians the Rolling Stones? Why not, they have 2 Rolling Stones in the group? As I wrote, the Elvis Stax sessions were recorded post-Booker T & The MGs - the BTMG rhythm section does not the MGs make.

Muppet HiFi
And to the poster who indicated (I believe in response to my view- and Little Richards and Chuck Berry's) that Elvis' huge popularity was some sort of "reverse Affirmative Action" (whatever that is; is that like "reverse racism"?)-

CLEARLY Elvis was groomed, sought out, manipulated, and courted as a sort of "great white hope" in the '50's. He NEVER sounded like what most black singers of the time sounded like, certainly not the rhythm and blues artists of the day (think of a popular one like Louis Jordan- no vocal similarity at all). Even compared to Nat King Cole, Elvis still sounded like Pat Boone in comparison.

There's a lot of nonesense mixed up in Elvis' mythology (as there is for any legend), but to say his race didn't play a big part in his success is misguided.

So? Saying that Elvis being White led to an increase in his popularity, or a greater opportunity for success, is very different from saying that Elvis was talentless and only was popular because he was White - which is what some seem to be saying. Being White led to greater opportunity in all arenas of American life at that time, it was unfair, but, that's the way it was. You're going to penalize Elvis for that?

At the start, Elvis was a rockabilly singer - he incorporated Country & R&B into one sound. Saying he didn't sound like Louis Jordan or Nat King Cole (which I think is your clumsy way of saying that he didn't sound "Black" enough - not even as "Black" as "Whiter" sounding Black artists of the day - nice of you to see everything in terms of race, by the way. You are so enlightened!), is completely immaterial. Elvis sounded like Elvis. If you don't like his voice, fine, but don't start tearing him down because he didn't sound "Black" enough for you, White man. You don't sound Black enough for me.

EDIT:
I apologize for my harsh tone there, I just get angry when people short Elvis. As I wrote earlier, Elvis' importance in the early days of Rock n Roll was undeniably crucial to the very survival of the genre.

...and, reverse affirmative action is exactly what it sounds like - affirmative action for White folks. I was scoffing at the supposition that Elvis' success was solely predicated on the fact that he was a White man, which is an absolute joke.
When people who think of Stax and their house band, they think of Booker T on B-3 or piano, Steve Cropper on guitar Duck Dunn on bass, and Al Jackson Jr. on drums, and maybe the Mar-Keys on horns. But essentially, the four guys in the rhythm section are what people call the "Stax sound".
I think that's a reasonable assumption.

I didn't say Louis Jordan or Nat Cole sounded "black" or "white"; I pointed them out as being fairly popular black artists of the time who had a fair amount of mainstream popularity, i.e. with white people. The only person I've ever heard say Elvis sounded "black" was Sam Phillips, and it was a stupid thing to say, I think.
I also think, based on listening to lots of black artists from Charlie Patton to POS, that Elvis didn't sound, vocally, anything like THE MAJORITY of black vocalists I've ever heard.
I believe race played a role, to greater or lesser degree, in Elvis' popularity. Simple opinion, just discussing stuff, not dissing Elvis (he's great, and I love a lot of his stuff, as I've already said; just don't think he's THAT great, know what I mean?).

But, friend- you really shouldn't get so upset with total strangers over dead pop stars.

And,though it may be unusual on a message board dedicated to a (mostly) white rock n' roll band, my dad is from Donegal and my mom's people were from what is now Sierra Leone.
I'll say this once as nicely as I'm able- please don't bring up fellow posters, whom you've never seen or met, racial or ethnic lineage, especially in anger over percieved slights against favorite pop stars. It kind of looks bad.

Date: April 22, 2009 00:52

Muppet HiFi
But, friend- you really shouldn't get so upset with total strangers over dead pop stars.

And,though it may be unusual on a message board dedicated to a (mostly) white rock n' roll band, my dad is from Donegal and my mom's people were from what is now Sierra Leone.
I'll say this once as nicely as I'm able- please don't bring up fellow posters, whom you've never seen or met, racial or ethnic lineage, especially in anger over percieved slights against favorite pop stars. It kind of looks bad.

This is precisely why I added an edit apologizing for my tone.

You can say you're from Venus, and it wouldn't mean a damn thing to me - you can be, or pretend to be, whatever you like, it still doesn't fix the faulty reasoning. You said he recorded with the MGs, he did not*. You said "even compared to Nat King Cole" - that reads like Nat Cole doesn't sound "Black" enough, or that a singer even can sound "Black" or "White". Singers sound like what they sound like. Some may employ affectations (like Mick's "country" voice, for example), but they still sound like what they sound like.

I will talk about fellow posters' logic - I will cut it to ribbons, if I'm able - any damn time I please. I did not, however, mean to read like I was talking about you. You are completely right, there's no need to get personal over music, and getting personal was not my intention (again, that's why after re-reading my post, I added the apology for my tone). My main contention, which I stand behind, is that there was no reason for you to bring race into the equation - you basically did claim that his race had a good deal to do with his success. That's exactly what I meant by "reverse affirmative action" - you completely mis-understood my use of the term - and exactly the sort of thinking I was calling "shenanigans" on. You also (on first reading) read like you were saying, the fact that Elvis didn't sound "Black" was somehow a mark against him. I presume, on second reading, your true intention was simply to point out that you thoughtit was folly for people to claim that Elvis sounded "Black". I must reiterate, I don't really know what that means. Does Tom Waits sound "Black"? Do The Ink Spots sound "White"? Does Eddie Hinton sound "Black"? Does Charley Pride sound "White"? Does Tony Joe White sound "Black"? Does Ella sound "White"?

You injected race into this discussion - I perhaps took it too far for your tastes, and maybe offended you in some way by calling you a White man. I don't know why that's offensive - I have never cared if anyone on a message board thought I read as Asian,Black, White, Male, Female, Jewish, Muslim, Christian or Satanist - but, who am I to say what other people should or shouldn't be offended by? Frankly, I neither know nor care what race you, or any other poster, may be. It isn't important. Only your thought process and your logic (once you're in a debate) matters. If I disagree with you (or anyone else) on a matter of taste, I will zealously defend my position, but I will try my best not to veer into an area that anyone finds personally offensive or hurtful. I'll know, in the future, not to call you "White". Duly noted.

In the end though, I agree wholeheartedly that there is no need for music-based discussion to devolve into anything personal - even though that was never my intention.

...and I'm glad to read that you do indeed respect Elvis.

*EDIT:
When I refer to the MGs rhythm section, I am referring not to Booker T & the MGs, but to Duck & Al Jackson, Jr. - they may have played on the Elvis records), but Booker T & Cropper did not. So, to me, Elvis didn't play with Booker T & The MGs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-22 18:05 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 22, 2009 01:15

Elvis is NOT overated!! His work before he was drafted into the army makes him the King, Although Chuck Berry does not get the credit he deserves.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 22, 2009 01:52

Nikolai
Beelyboy
i just love Elvis. his version of 'promised land' alone would have made him a GREAT recording artist...and we have so much more...Thanks Big E. Always in my heart.

Elvis's 70s recordings are hugely underrated - Hurt, Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues, Burning Love, Always On My Mind et al are superb. I know I'm in a minority, and both The Ghost and Gazza will probably give me a kicking, but I personally think he never sang better than he did in the 70s.

On another note, what do the Elvis fans on here think of Albert Goldman's book?

I dont disagree, actually. It's a reasonable argument.

Goldman was a c**t. I would quite happily dance on his grave.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 22, 2009 08:49

Justin
Okay NICOS...thanks!

I am at work and cannot access YouTube at all (nor even see the links when people post the video).

Justin, what type firewall do you have, when I'm at work I can view embedded you tube videos, but I can't post to the site, go figure.

Date: April 22, 2009 14:18

Justin
Ten Reasons Why Elvis is NOT Overrated

From members at the FECC Board....

1) The Sun Sessions

The body of work that Elvis, Scotty and Bill recorded for Sam Phillips' label are among the most (if not the most) culturally important recordings America has ever produced. They are raw, innovative, pioneering rock n' roll at it's best. Few artists careers can boast achievements of the magnitude and sheer influence these yellow labeled 45's 78's attained. These are (and I say this as a fan of music more than as a fan of Elvis) by FAR the most interesting and mysterious recordings to come from the first generation of rock n' rollers.

2) He defined Rock n' Roll style

Before Elvis the epitome of Rock N' Roll style was Bill Haley. Borrowing elements from his favorite blues musicians and movie stars, Elvis defined the slick rebellious look that set the standard for rock artists to follow in the 1950's and 1960's. In short, In the 1950's he was the king of cool.

3) He went on -in 1956- national television and sang about the "one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store".

Elvis's appearances on the Dorsey Brothers' Stage Show remain some of the most electrifying moments in television history. As Levon Helm says in Elvis 56, "He didn't just look different. He looked dangerous." In an era of puritanical moralists, Elvis didn't censor the lyrics to Big Joe Turner's classic despite the fact that he almost certainly got the metaphor. The CBS Censors didn't.

4) "Hound Dog"/"Don't Be Cruel"

This double A-side was the first rock record to hold two number one songs on the same disc. It is also one of the first records specifically mastered for LOUD playback. The sound was compressed so much that it didn't just come out of the speakers. It attacked you from them. On one side you have Elvis's shredded vocals, Scotty Moore's brilliantly incendiary guitar work, and DJ Fontana and Bill Blacks one-two punch of a rhythm section kicking you in the ass. On the other side you have what Jerry Lee Lewis called "the greatest Rock N' Roll song ever recorded".

5. He helped break down racial barriers

James Brown said "he taught white America to get down", and that's a profound statement. Not only did his mannerisms, and musical style teach white americans, that it was ok to express themselves physically, but his new twists on old black music, helped open the door of discovery of a whole new world to many white teenagers.

6. "Before Elvis There Was Nothing"

He issued the clarion call received by many of the greats from Dylan to Hendrix, From Jimmy Page to a couple of young liverpool lads named John Lennon and Paul McCartney. He was an image of the USA, and captured the great spirit of rebellion that is all of the best Americans. Gives people a different, more appealing, idea of the country than would Dwight Eisenhower or Richard Nixon.

7. His generosity

One of the reasons Elvis has become an enduring part of American pop-mythology is that the guy would actually give a new car to someone he just met. Seriously, how cool is that?

8. The 1968 Singer Special.

Music that bleeds.

9. He showed respect for others.

Whether it was his nuttiest fans, other musicians, or different cultures or traditions such as the martial arts of the orient that he so dearly loved, Elvis always did his best to show appreciation and respect for the dignity and achievements of others. For a white kid raised in the hotbed of prejudice and small mindedness that was the depression era south, that shows a hell of a lot of class.

10. To paraphrase Joe Cocker- He was the greatest white blues singer that ever lived.

While many white artists covering black blues either polished the sound or tried to affect black vocal mannerisms, Elvis did neither but the feel remained. Just listen to "My Baby Left Me", "Mess Of The Blues" or "Reconsider Baby", and you'll know exactly what Joe Cocker was talking about. (from tcb4 and King of the Jungle)

As Peter Guralnick has often eloquently pointed out, Elvis made minority culture the popular culture of the US and much of the rest of the world. This may very well be his greatest achievement. That we take country and blues form the heart of the contemporary musical experience is largely because of Elvis' achievement. I can hear detractors saying that that rap is the heart of contemporary music of youth music. That's absolutely right but the fact that white kids have no compunction about identifying with aggressively ethnic music as their music is impossible without Elvis' breakthrough coming firs.That we have university courses on Hank Willams (or Elvis) and that Chuck Berry is a national institution and not a period sideshow freak is largely due to the change in the national point of view that Elvis created.

Rock n' roll would have existed and would have gained popularity without Elvis. It would not have become the center of American culture. A year before Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show, Bo Diddely was on and it was not a positive experience. Sullivan swore off rock n' roll and had no reason to change his mind until Elvis. He even vowed never to have Elvis on the show. Elvis, singing outsider music, appeared on another show that crushed Sullivan and the heart of the mainstream was forced to welcome him. That fact is very important to remember. Sullivan was not welcoming in a new trend. He had no choice and it was Elvis' popularity and infamy that made that choice for him. The music had popularity before Elvis hit the big time. Elvis made it unignorable. In doing so he changed the entire frame of discourse of American popular culture.

Elvis also was the primary driving force of the youth culture that dominates today's popular culture. More than the other rock icons, parents in the 1950s hated Elvis. He was the one they most criticized, for whom they reserved their greatest vitriol. Their visceral displeasure at Elvis' early music is what gave rock n' roll its other status for kids. It's hard to believe but in the mid-1950s teens did not have a ton of power. They were getting and spending money for the first time and Elvis was the first expression of that power.

Another reason, Elvis is not overrated is his astonishing breadth of styles. Not many performers could cover the ground from "How Great Thou Art," "Jailhouse Rock," "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "There Goes My Everything." Perhaps even more impressive is Elvis' mix of numerous styles. At its best, on pieces varying from "That's All Right" to "I Really Don't Want to Know" his music is beyond conventional genre definition. (likethebike)

Threads like this one pop up on this board every couple of months it seems.

This magnificent piece should be copied and pasted into any such future thread on this subject for the benefit of all clueless, tasteless morons with no concept of Elvis' greatness or his role in shaping rock ''n roll into the cultural force that it became.

Especially the bit highlighted in bold type.

Date: April 22, 2009 14:24

Nikolai
ablett

Pledging My Love, Way Down, Moody Blue, Hurt, He'll Have To Go, She Still Thinks I Care ... all great.

I think 'He'll Have To Go' was Elvis' final completed studio cut. If so, it was a cracking way to exit. An incredible version.

Date: April 22, 2009 14:29

Jungle Room Sessions late '76.

I like the Moody Blue album except the live cuts.

Its Easy for you is my Fav....

Date: April 22, 2009 14:43

Justin
The Ghost Of Good taste

'You'll Think of Me' comes from American Studios, Jan-Feb'69 - and pretty much everything from those sessions is marvellous.

Merry Christmas Baby, I washed My Hands In Muddy water, Early Mornin' Rain, Walk a Mile In My Shoes, Mary In The Morning, If You Talk In Your Sleep and the utter gem that is Pieces Of My Life

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 22, 2009 14:57

I think we cam now conclude that whilst Elvis may be flawed like all human beings he sure ain't overrated.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home