Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: Ten Reasons Why Elvis is Overrated
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 22, 2009 15:02

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bobby Keys ()
Date: April 22, 2009 16:09

Not to question your judgement ROCKMAN but that appears to be five

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 22, 2009 19:00

BluzDude
Justin
Okay NICOS...thanks!

I am at work and cannot access YouTube at all (nor even see the links when people post the video).

Justin, what type firewall do you have, when I'm at work I can view embedded you tube videos, but I can't post to the site, go figure.

Not sure what my company uses but they just recenly only blocked YouTube and a few others sites including ebay and some dating/personal sites. The no YouTube is pretty painful though. Sometimes I just need to check out a song or a clip and I can't. VERY frustrating!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 22, 2009 19:39

if there were no elvis there would be no rolling stones, beatles , and so on . or they would of been pat boone influenced *yuk!* elvis is dead and cant defend himselfagainst all that's been wriiten or said about him. he hated being called the king he claimed the real king was jesus. i like the music he put out the last 10 yrs of his life the best. what gets me is how people trash him but make people like john lennon and kurt cobain into saints

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 22, 2009 20:00

ghostryder13
if there were no elvis there would be no rolling stones, beatles , and so on . or they would of been pat boone influenced *yuk!* elvis is dead and cant defend himselfagainst all that's been wriiten or said about him. he hated being called the king he claimed the real king was jesus. i like the music he put out the last 10 yrs of his life the best. what gets me is how people trash him but make people like john lennon and kurt cobain into saints

Get where you're coming from, but I don't think anyone sanctifies Lennon and much less Cobain. Both were also as important in their respective eras as Elvis was in his.

Agree with you about the late 60s/70s Elvis period though. The 1976 Jungle Room CD is superb. Thank God for the FTD label.

Date: April 22, 2009 20:02

Nikolai
Thank God for the FTD label.

Here here!

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 22, 2009 22:14

Confusing article, since it almost reads as though the author doesn't like Elvis.

And that would just be silly.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 22, 2009 22:57

I've never heard that before?

Its amazing how his voice changed from 69-72.

Plenty more Vibrato.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 22, 2009 23:02

For once I have no comments (other than this one: winking smiley )
Deconstructing Elvis friggin Preistley is deconstructin' the rock and roll itself.
It cannot be done.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 22, 2009 23:46

ablett
I've never heard that before?

Its amazing how his voice changed from 69-72.

Plenty more Vibrato.

Some of the chaps at the tube say its 75-76?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 23, 2009 01:09

Okay Mr Bobby .... here's another for ya ......

Da men don't know but da lil' gals understand ................

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: April 23, 2009 01:55

About 15 years ago I was listening to Elvis' Sun Sessions at work, and a girl (who was about 25, and pretty sharp, big Nirvana fan) asked me what do you call that kind of music?

I said "That's ROCK-n-Roll baby!"

She was flabbergasted to find out that it was Elvis.

I love this cd...its an unedited performance done for Elvis' '68 Comeback Special...its got a great loose feel to it, with a lot of verbal banter between Elvis, Scotty, and the rest of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-23 01:59 by Keefan.

Date: April 23, 2009 02:10

Keefan

I love this cd...its an unedited performance done for Elvis' '68 Comeback Special...its got a great loose feel to it, with a lot of verbal banter between Elvis, Scotty, and the rest of the band.

indeed.

Hope you've picked up the complete set since "Tiger Man" came out. Here you'll get the 2 sit down shows and the 2 stand up shows plus the rehearsals between Elvis and the guys which actually sparked director, Steve Binder, the idea of having a more relaxed jam atmosphere to include in the special. And thus the "sit down" sections were added to the program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-23 02:11 by Justin.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:24

Thanks for the info, Justin, I wasn't aware of that. I know that I'll definitely dig it, so I'll add it to my list of "must haves". Appreciate the tip!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-23 02:24 by Keefan.

Date: April 23, 2009 02:30

No prob, Keefan!

It sure does look nice doesn't it? I don't have the set myself because I have the same material spread amongst several separate releases...but in doing some research, I found some info that you may want to read also before you shell out the $$ to buy this set.

[home.online.no]

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 23, 2009 02:55

May I recommend the movie Idolmaker from 1980. It's not about Elvis, but about the making of a star similar to Elvis. Any music fan should enjoy this film.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 23, 2009 03:21

Justin nailed it, doubt I could write it better than him. Would like to add that I have a dvd that samples performances from all phases of his career. The last was Elvis six weeks before his death, all alone at the piano singing Unchained Melody, and compared to Young Elvis, his Looks were gone(fat and sweating profusely), he no longer moved (sitting at piano), but his singing voice was better than ever. Amazingly powerful and emotional, sounds like an opera star. If anyone could post a link I think Elvis himself, at the end of his life, not in prime, can answer better than anyone else why he most certainly is not overrated.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 23, 2009 07:23

I don't get it. How come I can't see what GNAT is saying on page 3 to Ghost?

And correct me if I'm wrong but all of the Elvis records I've had and played over the years - he's never gotten credit for all the songs. In fact, I think his name only appeared in two songs that I am aware of ie I don't have everthing etc...so I don't get where this mongo gets the idea that Big E got credit for EVERYTHING.

Date: April 23, 2009 07:39

skipstone

And correct me if I'm wrong but all of the Elvis records I've had and played over the years - he's never gotten credit for all the songs. In fact, I think his name only appeared in two songs that I am aware of ie I don't have everthing etc...so I don't get where this mongo gets the idea that Big E got credit for EVERYTHING.

haha "Mongo"...

Yup, you're right...Elvis' name is hardly found on any writing credits. Only came up with:

Love Me Tender
Vera Matson, Elvis Presley (credited); George R. Poulton, Ken Darby (uncredited)

All Shook Up
Otis Blackwell and Elvis Presley

Don't Be Cruel
Otis Blackwell, Elvis Presley
"Presley reworked the Otis Blackwell demo and changed the music and lyrics, just as he did to other compositions by Blackwell. Hence the reason he received co-songwriting credit."

Who knows the extent Elvis had in these songs...perhaps his influence came through the arrangements or minor lyric changes. Either way, Elvis is hardly added to any credit for most of his songs. That signals to me that if Elvis had something to contribute..then credit was given to him.

Date: April 23, 2009 10:35

skipstone

Gnat buzzed off and probably deleted his account in a fit of pique. He could dish it (after a fashion) but he couldn't take it. Not that I blame him, really. You ever get a telling off from Gazza and Ghost? Ain't pretty. And Gazza's Irish, so the invective's colourful. grinning smiley

Date: April 23, 2009 10:36

Justin
Keefan

indeed.

Hope you've picked up the complete set since "Tiger Man" came out. Here you'll get the 2 sit down shows and the 2 stand up shows plus the rehearsals between Elvis and the guys which actually sparked director, Steve Binder, the idea of having a more relaxed jam atmosphere to include in the special. And thus the "sit down" sections were added to the program.

The Complete 68 is well worth getting. I played it non-stop for a month when it first came out.

Date: April 23, 2009 11:24

Try this one.

Disc 1 contains the original TTWII album plus additional tracks-all in superior sound.

Disc 2 contains a complete 1970 concert again in fabulous sound quality. Elvis really gives a fantastic show full of ultra high energy performances,backed by the famous TCB band. What a show!

Disc 3 contains Elvis and the TCB band in rehearsal,very interesting! You also get some more Live performances of unreleased songs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2009 12:21

I never understood how an artist who did not tour can become "king" of anything.

Mathijs

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 23, 2009 12:41

Mathijs
I never understood how an artist who did not tour can become "king" of anything.

Mathijs

YA like Kings tour. what the feck !!!

Thanks for starting this thread, it got me to rip the 50s and 60s masters to my IPOD, loving the 60s as I write.

Date: April 23, 2009 12:41

Mathijs

Mathijs

What do you mean Elvis "did not tour"? Aside from his Vegas residencies between 1969 and 1976, Elvis toured the US every year, right up until he died. He also played residencies at Lake Tahoe between 1971-74. He toured a helluva lot more regularly than The Stones did in the 70s.

Although he wanted to, Elvis never toured outside the US because his manager forbade him to. The reason? Colonel Rom Parker was living in the US illegally and didn't want to risk getting caught.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 23, 2009 12:44

Justin
Keefan

indeed.

I've seen the CD version of this in HMV for some ridiculous low price. you can also pick it up at Amazon for less than £18. £27 for the vinyl.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2009 14:20

Mathijs

Mathijs

Aside from the fact that the two are totally unconnected, I think you need to do your research a bit better.

He toured pretty much every other month of every year from 1970 until June 1977. There's even a clue in the title of his final movie - "Elvis On Tour". eye rolling smiley

The notion that he only played residencies in Las Vegas is utter myth. He generally played a month in the winter and one in the summer from August 1969 - August 74 and then did a couple of weeks in both late 75 and late 76. The rest of the time he toured regularly.

He spent more time on the road and played more shows on tour during the 70's than even the Stones did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-23 14:23 by Gazza.

Date: April 23, 2009 14:46

During his “concert years” from 1969 to 1977, Elvis gave nearly 1,100 concert performances.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2009 14:52

That many? Christ...thats as many as the Stones have played in the last four decades!!

Date: April 23, 2009 14:58

Straight from Elvis.com

You can see why problems set in latter in life.

Same ol' treadmill.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home