Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: Ten Reasons Why Elvis is Overrated
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: April 23, 2009 15:00

"When Elvis returned to the live stage after the success of his 1968 television special and the wrap-up of his Hollywood movie contract obligations, he opened at the International Hotel in Las Vegas in the summer of 1969 for a 4-week, 57-show engagement that broke all existing Las Vegas attendance records. He returned to the International a few months later in early 1970, during the slow winter season in Vegas, and broke his own attendance record. Right after that came a record-breaking six-show engagement at the Astrodome in Houston, where Elvis played to a total of 207,494 people. Elvis took his elaborate live show on the road in the latter part of 1970 for his first concert tour since 1957. Throughout the 1970’s Elvis toured America, breaking box office records right and left, and continued to play an engagement or two per year in Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe. Among the outstanding highlights of this period was in 1972, when Elvis performed four sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden. During his “concert years” from 1969 to 1977, Elvis gave nearly 1,100 concert performances."

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 23, 2009 15:21

One [of the most staggering things when you take into account his success was that it came despite the fact that (apart from 3 Canadian shows in 1957 which apparently occurred at a time when you didnt need a passport to cross the border) he never performed outside the US.

The 'Aloha From Hawaii' TV special was primarily aimed at the Asian TV market. It got a 98% audience share of the viewing figures in Japan when it was aired live. You can only imagine what a huge event it would have been had he ever undertaken a world tour. I like to think had he lived and got his life together, he probably would have eventually ditched Parker and it may have happened. A shocking waste.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 23, 2009 15:40

Michael Jackson still looks like a silly twat compared to Big E. Anyone comparing the two should be shot. Elvis was huge because people liked to hear him sing and perform, not because he was a freak of nature. Elvis didn't need the internet to help set attendance records either.

Oh yeah, and Elvis could sing without fear of ripping something apart in his face.

Date: April 23, 2009 15:57

"A shocking waste."

Absolutely!

There is many instances.

The Beatles record St Pepper whilst Elvis produces, amongst others, Spinout.

Burning Love single is lumbered on an album of 'hits' from the movies.

Anyone ever listened to Having Fun on Stage LP?

And never being able to tour the world even though huge sums were offered. etc. etc

It just shows the huge talent and popularity of Elvis that his career survived.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 23, 2009 19:05

ablett
Straight from Elvis.com

You can see why problems set in latter in life.

Same ol' treadmill.

I was actually about to say that. He died on the eve of another tour. Apparently his last ever show was one of his best in a long while, vocally.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: April 23, 2009 19:07

ablett
"A shocking waste."

Absolutely!

There is many instances.

Burning Love single is lumbered on an album of 'hits' from the movies.

Anyone ever listened to Having Fun on Stage LP?

And never being able to tour the world even though huge sums were offered. etc. etc

It just shows the huge talent and popularity of Elvis that his career survived.

Terrible record however you slice it. I held my nose when I bought that one.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 23, 2009 19:11

So great to see how many members here really know their Elvis stuff! Very exciting!

You guys are right...Elvis toured constantly...in fact that's ALL he ever did in those last 7 years. For anyone interested, here is the most comprehensive site regarding Elvis' concert dates:

[www.elvis-in-concert.com]

Date: April 23, 2009 19:19

"Apparently his last ever show was one of his best in a long while, vocally."

Catch this review

The last farewell, the grand goodbye, this is Elvis Presley's last 71 minutes on a stage. One of the most influential and incredible performers of the 20th century sings his final nineteen songs for an adoring and supportive audience of 18,000 in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Market Square Arena, June 26, 1977. It's a sobering, melancholy experience.
The main June tour was a short nine day stretch that began in Springfield, Missouri and included the taping of the now-infamous 'Elvis In Concert' special for CBS-TV in Omaha, Nebraska and Rapid City, South Dakota. In Indianapolis, as on virtually any show he gave in 1977, Elvis sounds very tired -- frankly, he shouldn't have been performing at all, as the video evidence of the afore-mentioned TV special bears out. Comparing his efforts here to even the previous December shows how far the standard had fallen. In just seven weeks, Elvis Presley would die at his home in Memphis.

Perversely, 'Adios', given all the limitations just mentioned, is quite nice. The audience tape source (in stereo!) for this second escape, uh, release from Mystery Train is different from the one used for the original vinyl issue ('The Last Farewell') -- it's softer and fuller, the graciousness of the crowd more apparent. Indianapolis was very pleased to have Elvis in town that Sunday evening! And Elvis responds in kind. He pulls out spontaneous renditions of "Please Release Me" ("that was totally unrehearsed"), "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water", three numbers rarely given space in his set list in 1977 and generally charms everyone in the building. As usual most of the older numbers are trashed, while something like "I Really Don't Want To Know", short as it is, is delivered with skill and finesse. Even "Can't Help Falling In Love" is imbued with a warmth not found on other shows of the period.

Before leaving, he spends nearly four minutes thanking everyone associated with the tour, including his dad Vernon, cousins like Patsy Gambill ("she's as nutty as a fruitcake"), girlfriend Ginger Alden, even sound engineers Bill Porter and Bruce Jackson (who would take over concert sound for Bruce Springsteen, beginning with the amazing 'Darkness On The Edge Of Town' tour in 1978)!

Date: April 23, 2009 19:20

"Having Fun on Stage LP"

Its a hound aint it. Colonal Tom should have got the boot after that one!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 23, 2009 19:21

The site is not accurate. Many of his Lake Tahoe shows of 1970 are not listed.

Date: April 23, 2009 19:26

Nope, Elvis didn't start doing Lake Tahoe shows until 1971. All of 70, he was held up at the International... both engagements documented on the live album "On Stage" from Feb of that year and then the concert-documentary "Elvis That's The Way It Is" in July-August.

Is that Tahoe where you caught him live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-23 19:29 by Justin.

Date: April 23, 2009 19:29

It was opening night at the Sahara Tahoe, maybe it was 1971, thought it was '70. I remember seeing the 5th dimension the night before as it was their closing night. Thought I was 15 at the time...maybe I was 16...so many years go by.

Date: April 23, 2009 19:35

Well '71 was indeed a while ago!

Unfortunately, the closest recording I could find would be the 2nd to the last night of that Tahoe engagement:

[www.elvis-collectors.com]

Date: April 23, 2009 19:35

You lucky bugger! Did you keep any souvenirs?

Date: April 23, 2009 19:50

I remember getting a teddy bear and a record album, gave them both to my sister, I don't think either of them are around today

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 23, 2009 21:06

ablett

Let's not get carried away here. Spinout was awesome.

Date: April 23, 2009 22:06

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2009 23:05

Gazza
Mathijs
I never understood how an artist who did not tour can become "king" of anything.

Mathijs

Aside from the fact that the two are totally unconnected, I think you need to do your research a bit better.

He toured pretty much every other month of every year from 1970 until June 1977. There's even a clue in the title of his final movie - "Elvis On Tour". eye rolling smiley

The notion that he only played residencies in Las Vegas is utter myth. He generally played a month in the winter and one in the summer from August 1969 - August 74 and then did a couple of weeks in both late 75 and late 76. The rest of the time he toured regularly.

He spent more time on the road and played more shows on tour during the 70's than even the Stones did.

But he never sang a word outside of the US. So, he might be the American King, or the Vegas King, or the Burger King for all it matters, but for sure not "The King".

Mathijs

Date: April 23, 2009 23:12

Behave, what on earth does that matter??

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: April 23, 2009 23:19

E sang in Germany.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 23, 2009 23:21

@#$%& elvis

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 23, 2009 23:28

mexicostone
@#$%& elvis

...this from a Iron Maiden groupie.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 23, 2009 23:29

ablett
Behave, what on earth does that matter??

Well, nothing at all basically. But so does the Stones, they don't matter a thing.

But it's always nice to get Gazza excited!

Mathijs

Date: April 23, 2009 23:49

I see ol' amigo needs some attention again??

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 23, 2009 23:54

.....he could sing...but he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.........

ELVIS KNEW DICK (Elvis' letter to Nixon -- REAL)

<<(TRANSCRIBED BY STEVE HIRSCH:
Here it is, for (as far as I know) the first time on the Internet. The complete, unedited text of Elvis Presley's letter to President Richard M. Nixon. Written on American Airlines In Flight stationary, and including all the original's unorthodox capitalization. There are no paragraph breaks because that's the way Elvis wrote it, just one long stream of consciousness.
If forwarding this text, please credit me, Steve Hirsch, Rock n Roll Librarian for typing it up. Or blame me for any typos, but I did proofread.)
Dear Mr. President

First I would like to introduce myself. I am Elvis Presley and admire you and Have Great Respect for your office. I talked to Vice President Agnew in Palm Springs a week ago and expressed my concern for our country. The Drug Culture, The Hippie Elements, the SDS, Black Panthers, etc do not consider me as their enemy or as they call it The Establishment. I call it America and I Love it. Sir I can and will be of any Service that I can to help the country out. I have no concerns or motives other than helping the country out. So I wish not to be
given a title or an appointed position, I can and will do more good if I were made a Federal Agent at Large, and I will help out by doing it my way through my communications with people of all ages. First and Foremost I am an entertainer but all I need is the Federal credentials. I am on the Plane with Sen. George Murphy and We have been discussing the problems that our country is faced with. Sir I am Staying at the Washington hotel Room 505-506-507. I have 2 men who work with me by the name of Jerry Schilling and Sonny West. I am registered under the name of Jon Burrows. I will be here for as long as it takes to get the credentials of a Federal Agent. I have done in depth study of Drug Abuse and Communist Brainwashing Techniques and I am right in the middle of the whole thing, where I can and will do the most good. I am Glad to help just so long as it is kept very Private. You can have your staff or whomever call me anytime today tonight or Tomorrow. I was nominated the coming year one of America's Ten Most outstanding young men. That will be in January 18 in my Home Town of Memphis Tenn. I am sending you the short autobiography about myself so you can better understand this approach. I would love to meet you just to say hello if you're not too busy.

Respectfully,
Elvis Presley

P.S. I believe that you Sir were one of the Top Ten Outstanding Men of America also.

I have a personal gift for you also which I would like to present to you and you can accept it or I will keep it for you until you can take it.>>

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: April 24, 2009 00:00

I read somewhere that when Elvis stopped by the White House and met Nixon, that Nixon had no idea who he was...one of Tricky Dick's advisers told him that he should take the time to meet with Elvis though.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 24, 2009 00:02

Rip This
.....he could sing...but he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.........

ELVIS KNEW DICK (Elvis' letter to Nixon -- REAL)

<<(TRANSCRIBED BY STEVE HIRSCH:
Here it is, for (as far as I know) the first time on the Internet. The complete, unedited text of Elvis Presley's letter to President Richard M. Nixon. Written on American Airlines In Flight stationary, and including all the original's unorthodox capitalization. There are no paragraph breaks because that's the way Elvis wrote it, just one long stream of consciousness.
If forwarding this text, please credit me, Steve Hirsch, Rock n Roll Librarian for typing it up. Or blame me for any typos, but I did proofread.)
Dear Mr. President

First I would like to introduce myself. I am Elvis Presley and admire you and Have Great Respect for your office. I talked to Vice President Agnew in Palm Springs a week ago and expressed my concern for our country. The Drug Culture, The Hippie Elements, the SDS, Black Panthers, etc do not consider me as their enemy or as they call it The Establishment. I call it America and I Love it. Sir I can and will be of any Service that I can to help the country out. I have no concerns or motives other than helping the country out. So I wish not to be
given a title or an appointed position, I can and will do more good if I were made a Federal Agent at Large, and I will help out by doing it my way through my communications with people of all ages. First and Foremost I am an entertainer but all I need is the Federal credentials. I am on the Plane with Sen. George Murphy and We have been discussing the problems that our country is faced with. Sir I am Staying at the Washington hotel Room 505-506-507. I have 2 men who work with me by the name of Jerry Schilling and Sonny West. I am registered under the name of Jon Burrows. I will be here for as long as it takes to get the credentials of a Federal Agent. I have done in depth study of Drug Abuse and Communist Brainwashing Techniques and I am right in the middle of the whole thing, where I can and will do the most good. I am Glad to help just so long as it is kept very Private. You can have your staff or whomever call me anytime today tonight or Tomorrow. I was nominated the coming year one of America's Ten Most outstanding young men. That will be in January 18 in my Home Town of Memphis Tenn. I am sending you the short autobiography about myself so you can better understand this approach. I would love to meet you just to say hello if you're not too busy.

Respectfully,
Elvis Presley

P.S. I believe that you Sir were one of the Top Ten Outstanding Men of America also.

I have a personal gift for you also which I would like to present to you and you can accept it or I will keep it for you until you can take it.>>

This might explain why mexicostone wasn't in with the big E

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 24, 2009 00:10

MKjan

This might explain why mexicostone wasn't in with the big E

perhaps it was the talking points memo from the White House that put him over the edge????????..............

[www.webofdeception.com]

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: April 24, 2009 00:11

MKjan
mexicostone
@#$%& elvis

...this from a Iron Maiden groupie.

Isn't Mexicostone quoting that old Public Enemy song "Fight the Power" here?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 24, 2009 00:18

Mathijs
Gazza
Mathijs
I never understood how an artist who did not tour can become "king" of anything.

Mathijs

Aside from the fact that the two are totally unconnected, I think you need to do your research a bit better.

He toured pretty much every other month of every year from 1970 until June 1977. There's even a clue in the title of his final movie - "Elvis On Tour". eye rolling smiley

The notion that he only played residencies in Las Vegas is utter myth. He generally played a month in the winter and one in the summer from August 1969 - August 74 and then did a couple of weeks in both late 75 and late 76. The rest of the time he toured regularly.

He spent more time on the road and played more shows on tour during the 70's than even the Stones did.

But he never sang a word outside of the US. So, he might be the American King, or the Vegas King, or the Burger King for all it matters, but for sure not "The King".

Mathijs

Well, Col. Parker was never an American citizen (born in the Netherlands).
The speculation is that the reason Elvis never performed outside of the States
(despite those three gigs in Canada) is that Parker thought he might be deported
if it was found out he wasn't a citizen, although he served in the US Army,

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home