Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Why Was CYHMK Dropped From the 1972 Tour Set?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 13, 2009 23:37

Turd On The Run
Why indulge in mean-spirited criticism of his guitar playing on this song?

mean-spirited? i don't read (and certainly didn't write) anything here that should be construed as such. it's possible to not like something and critique it without there being any malice involved.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 13, 2009 23:59

I think the wincing is when Ronnie closes his eyes, lets go a barrage of messy notes while...wincing.

Date: April 14, 2009 00:02

skipstone
I think the wincing is when Ronnie closes his eyes, lets go a barrage of messy notes while...wincing.

ok, now see - here IS an example mean-spiritness. yay.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 14, 2009 01:27

that wincing is ronnies trademark at an honorable attempt at a solo, lol

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 14, 2009 01:29

T&A
woody really isn't a soloist and he couldn't copy a taylor solo to save his soul...he's a fish out of water trying to tread taylor's waters....

Perhaps I misconstrued the tone of the critique here...not the veracity, mind you...simply the tone. I found Ronnie's CYHMK solo usually quite excellent and a highlight during many of the shows during that tour, and found this critique to be unduly negative.

Date: April 14, 2009 01:53

Turd On The Run
T&A
woody really isn't a soloist and he couldn't copy a taylor solo to save his soul...he's a fish out of water trying to tread taylor's waters....

Perhaps I misconstrued the tone of the critique here...not the veracity, mind you...simply the tone. I found Ronnie's CYHMK solo usually quite excellent and a highlight during many of the shows during that tour, and found this critique to be unduly negative.

it's simply an informed opinion about the nature of these two guitarists. works both ways, by the by - mt would sound just as silly trying to replicate some of woody's finer guitar work....

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: April 14, 2009 02:01

...agreed...especially that 'weaving' Keef and Woody used to do so magnificently...damn I loved that...unfortunately the vast majority of "woody's finer guitar work" is far in the past...(as is Keef's, unfortunately)

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: April 14, 2009 13:57

Gazza
Zack
Curse you Garcia haters. And all ye who use the word "wankery" and "Taylor" in the same sentence. Or "noodling."

Peasants.

I originated the 'wankery' remark, but didnt mention the 'T' word. Do I escape with half a curse, Zack?

You avoid the letter of the curse, if not the spirit and therefore remain curse-free. Plus, I agree with your observation about the presence of two long songs in their short sets already and inference that CYHMK just didn't work well enough at a time when they nailed every tune.

As for the Licks versions, is the argument here that Ronnie's solo at Roseland was atypicially awful as opposed to other nights, or that he consistently botched the job, with Roseland just being the worst example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-14 14:01 by Zack.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2009 15:21

Zack
Gazza
Zack
Curse you Garcia haters. And all ye who use the word "wankery" and "Taylor" in the same sentence. Or "noodling."

Peasants.

I originated the 'wankery' remark, but didnt mention the 'T' word. Do I escape with half a curse, Zack?

You avoid the letter of the curse, if not the spirit and therefore remain curse-free. Plus, I agree with your observation about the presence of two long songs in their short sets already and inference that CYHMK just didn't work well enough at a time when they nailed every tune.

As for the Licks versions, is the argument here that Ronnie's solo at Roseland was atypicially awful as opposed to other nights, or that he consistently botched the job, with Roseland just being the worst example.

it was unlistenable at roseland....but it was a bad idea from the get-go...he was trying to ape taylor and that's just not his thing, imo. i wouldn't say botched, though, cos it was the idea that sucked....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 14, 2009 15:23

deadegad
Sohoe
Hey deadegad, I do actually quite like the Roseland show. A strong, concentrated effort carried by the four main members imo. She Smiled Sweetley got a great premiere. Strong rendition of HAnd Of Fate as well. I would have been more than pleased to have witnessed it firsthand, including a not very good CYHMK-guitarsolo.

Hey Sohoe, which shows do you -- or anyone else reading this -- think Ronnie did a good job on the CYHMK solo?

I'll dig out those shows, if I have them, and listen.

Thanks!
hartford 10/2002 ,licks tour.

Date: April 14, 2009 17:54

So is it hereby agreed that it was never played on the 1972 tour?

Agreed.

Dismissed.

Date: April 14, 2009 18:00

skipstone

Agreed.

Dismissed.

never say never. there's still time for bill, keith and bobby to claim otherwise....

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 14, 2009 18:20

RW's solos on knocking were absolutely great. As noted, he picks up Taylors original idea, but then takes the whole thing in a completely different direction. One of Wood's absolute highlights, and not only of the Lix tour.

Back to the topic. Just see how the crowd reacted to Knocking in 2002. Diehard fans went crazy, but all the others where quite cold. It just is not a right song for a stones concert.

C

Date: April 14, 2009 18:26

i'm a diehard and i went cold, so there are exception cases, it seems...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 14, 2009 19:27

T&A
i'm a diehard and i went cold, so there are exception cases, it seems...

Exceptions prove the rule!

C

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: April 14, 2009 23:18

skipstone

Agreed.

Dismissed.

I thought everybody agreed that it was never played on the '72 tour? The '71 English tour is when people think it might have been played. Bill, Keith, and Bobby all claim it was attempted sometime (probably early) in the tour. I know all this has been discussed already but we simply don't have the audio documentation to know whether it was ever attempted on stage during that tour or not. I tend to think that it was, but until a recording surfaces proving that they did try it, or recordings of all the '71 gigs surface proving that they DID NOT play it, then we won't know for sure.

Date: April 15, 2009 21:07

It doesn't matter what Bill, Keith or Bobby say - they can't remember shit anyway.

Ah ha haaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home